Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Republican Watch

#1241  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 20, 2020 4:15 am

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1242  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 20, 2020 4:19 am

Here is the audio of Dick Burr warning donors of how this will be more akin to the Spanish Flu epidemic while downplaying it to the general public. Not only fucking despicable and treasonous, also a crime... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOCK_Act

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1243  Postby Alan C » Mar 20, 2020 4:48 am

:nono:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1244  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 20, 2020 5:12 am

They were telling us everything is going to be fine while at the same time dumping their stocks and warning donors. It is also a crime according to the Stock Act of 2012 (thanks Obama).
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1245  Postby Tortured_Genius » Mar 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Presidential pardon incoming in..
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1246  Postby aban57 » Mar 20, 2020 4:54 pm

I'm ready to bet a month salary that Trump did the same thing, and when we learn it, Carson will change his mind and find him excuses.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#1247  Postby Alan C » Mar 20, 2020 8:36 pm

I'm sure he will.
I will admit to naivete on my part for thinking Burr was a borderline reasonable GOP senator relatively speaking but he's just like the rest of them.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1248  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 24, 2020 9:23 pm

Absolutely shameless and predictable. Using a crisis to push their anti-choice agenda.

Coronavirus: Texas says abortions 'non-essential' amid pandemic

As US states ramp up restrictions to contain the coronavirus, Texas has joined Ohio in deeming nearly all abortions as non-essential procedures that must be delayed.

The order against elective procedures is meant to keep valuable medical resources for those treating Covid-19 only.

In Texas, providers can be fined or jailed for violating the order.

Joining a long line of Republican lawmakers using a crisis to push through legislation they've always wanted that has fuck all to do with it. I fully expect by the end of this crisis, there'll be numerous illiberal laws on the books that they'll "forget" to repeal.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#1249  Postby The_Piper » Mar 27, 2020 11:54 pm

Fox news actually fired this jerk. Presumably for going a little too far over the top. Hannity comes on later at night, so his bullshit must be ok. I tried to find a clip with just the Trish Regan broadcast in question, but no luck.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1250  Postby willhud9 » Mar 28, 2020 3:41 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Absolutely shameless and predictable. Using a crisis to push their anti-choice agenda.

Coronavirus: Texas says abortions 'non-essential' amid pandemic

As US states ramp up restrictions to contain the coronavirus, Texas has joined Ohio in deeming nearly all abortions as non-essential procedures that must be delayed.

The order against elective procedures is meant to keep valuable medical resources for those treating Covid-19 only.

In Texas, providers can be fined or jailed for violating the order.

Joining a long line of Republican lawmakers using a crisis to push through legislation they've always wanted that has fuck all to do with it. I fully expect by the end of this crisis, there'll be numerous illiberal laws on the books that they'll "forget" to repeal.

So let me get this straight:

A woman can see a gynecologist or obstetrician during this time. That is essential.

A woman cannot see a gynecologist or obstetrician if the premise of seeing one is to abort her fetus?

Why would any gynecologist or obstetrician report that their patient received an abortion procedure? Aren't medical records confidential? Why are Ohio and Texas states?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1251  Postby Seabass » Mar 30, 2020 5:19 am

Why paid sick leave is essential to beating coronavirus
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1252  Postby Alan C » Mar 30, 2020 5:47 am

One of the witterings current on twitter is that Fox could be in a world of legal hurt over their early downplaying of covid-19, I can only hope that is the case.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1253  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 30, 2020 5:53 am

Alan C wrote:One of the witterings current on twitter is that Fox could be in a world of legal hurt over their early downplaying of covid-19, I can only hope that is the case.

I would never anticipate that anyone's in the shitter on the basis of witterings on Twitter. I might titter about it, but I won't litter this pitter-patter with my tittering. I tend to be more of a fence-sitter than a Twitter witterer.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1254  Postby Alan C » Mar 31, 2020 11:46 pm

McConnell being McConnell;

McConnell bleats that impeachment diverted attention head of crisis

here's no shortage of problems with McConnell's actual pitch. As the senator probably knows, for example, developments of global importance are not paused during White House scandals, and presidents and other leading American officials must be able to focus on more than one responsibility at a time. Trump's impeachment may have been important, but it was not all-consuming.

For example, Donald Trump found time to play golf several times between mid-January and early March, suggesting the impeachment ordeal did not dominate his attention to such a degree that he couldn't focus on other priorities.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1255  Postby proudfootz » Apr 01, 2020 1:11 am

Seabass wrote:Why paid sick leave is essential to beating coronavirus

This is applicable even when there's no pandemic.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1256  Postby Seabass » Apr 01, 2020 8:19 pm

Republicans like me built this moment. Then we looked the other way.

Don’t just blame President Trump. Blame me — and all the other Republicans who aided and abetted and, yes, benefited from protecting a political party that has become dangerous to America. Some of us knew better.

But we built this moment. And then we looked the other way.
Many of us heard a warning sound we chose to ignore, like that rattle in your car you hear but figure will go away. Now we’re broken down, with plenty of time to think about what should have been done.

The failures of the government’s response to the coronavirus crisis can be traced directly to some of the toxic fantasies now dear to the Republican Party. Here are a few: Government is bad. Establishment experts are overrated or just plain wrong. Science is suspect. And we can go it alone, the world be damned.

All of these are wrong, of course. But we didn’t get here overnight. It took practice.
Long before Trump, the Republican Party adopted as a key article of faith that more government was bad. We worked overtime to squeeze it and shrink it, to drown it in the bathtub, as anti-tax activist Grover Norquist liked to say. But somewhere along the way, it became, “all government is bad.” Now we are in a crisis that can be solved only by massive government intervention. That’s awkward.

Next, somehow, the party of idealistic Teddy Roosevelt, pragmatic Bob Dole and heroic John McCain became anti-intellectual, by which I mean, almost reflexively opposed to knowledge and expertise. We began to distrust the experts and put faith in, well, quackery. It was 2013 when former Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal said the Republican Party “must stop being the stupid party.” By 2016, the party had embraced as its nominee a reality-TV host who later suggested that perhaps the noise from windmills causes cancer.

The Republican Party has gone from admiring William F. Buckley Jr., an Ivy League intellectual, to viewing higher education as a left-wing conspiracy to indoctrinate the young. In retribution, we started defunding education. Never mind that Republican leaders are among the most highly educated on the planet; it’s just that they now feel compelled to embrace ignorance as a cost of doing business. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, as an example, denounces “coastal elites” while holding degrees from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and having served as a Supreme Court clerk.

The GOP’s relationship with science has resembled some kind of Frankenstein experiment: Let’s see what happens when we play with the chemistry set! Conservatives have spent years trying to cut funds for basic science and research, lamenting government seed money for nearly every budding technology and then hoping for the best. In the weeks ahead, it’s not some fiery, anti-Washington populist with an XM radio gig who is going to save folks’ lives; it is more likely to be someone who has been studying this stuff for decades, almost certainly at some point with federal help or outright patronage.

continued: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/18/elections-have-consequences-slow-response-virus-is-one-them/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1257  Postby Seabass » Apr 03, 2020 6:06 am

Seabass

Print view this post

#1258  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 03, 2020 6:23 am

Seabass wrote:You'll never guess which party this guy belongs to.

Georgia governor says he didn't know asymptomatic people could spread coronavirus

Truth be told, you have to take it with a grain of salt when ANY US politician tries to tell you he or she did not know something. Perhaps this even holds true for politicians the world over.

it might be about time to set useful limits on what we expect politicians to know and understand that we are on our own.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1259  Postby Hermit » Apr 04, 2020 12:07 am

Seabass wrote:You'll never guess which party this guy belongs to.

Georgia governor says he didn't know asymptomatic people could spread coronavirus

As if ignorance is a valid reason to absolve anyone from culpability. It's not as if the governor could not possibly have known that asymptomatic people could spread the Covid-19 virus until just now.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#1260  Postby Seabass » Apr 09, 2020 5:31 pm

OAN. The "news" channel for people who think Fox News is too left-wing.

Seabass

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs