Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Republican Watch

#1901  Postby felltoearth » May 26, 2021 6:11 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Actually, given the amount of posts we've wasted on her, MTG's role within the Republican Party is obvious.

As a distracting glove puppet when the men in charge are facing actual criminal charges, she's brilliant.

Indeed. Now that Trump is gone, Moscow Mitch needs cover from somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1902  Postby Arcanyn » May 27, 2021 12:53 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Boy, oh boy, that ain't fucking good good enough for the redneck American Taliban in Dumbfuckistan (Lewis) County, Washington! Oh, hell no. Spurred on by their pet sheriff, the county gub'mint fully intended to simply make their own local drug possession laws. The county prosecutor truly thinks arresting and imprisoning citizens is the best and only way to cure people of their addictions.

I am not exaggerating in the least. These sons of bitches, who claim the title Republicans, honestly think the criminal justice system is the only way to motivate these people to get help.

They don't give a shit about helping people. They like hurting people, it makes them feel powerful. They just feel a need to protray it as an act of selfless altruism, because narcissists cannot under any circumstances admit to having malign motives, as that would entail admitting to being rotten people, and a central part of the condition is the need to avoid acknowledging the existence of any character flaws whatsoever. It's compensation, the more heinous the action, the more effort they'll put in to trying to portray it as the most saintly act of pure benevolence in the history of the universe.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1903  Postby Hermit » May 27, 2021 3:08 am

The_Piper wrote:She ran unopposed. I'm not sure 74.7% is a great number given there was no other choice, but it still is rather alarming.

She also scored 40% in the Republican primaries consisting of nine candidates. Second place getter won 21%. In the primary runoff she won with 57% of the vote. Funding was undoubtedly a significant factor. Greene had by far the biggest war chest.

Still, it is voters who put politicians into office. That is why they are called representatives. Trump represented 46.9% of everyone who turned up to vote last November. It is one of the factors why I will never set foot on US soil.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#1904  Postby Alan C » May 29, 2021 1:28 am

felltoearth wrote:
Tortured_Genius wrote:Actually, given the amount of posts we've wasted on her, MTG's role within the Republican Party is obvious.

As a distracting glove puppet when the men in charge are facing actual criminal charges, she's brilliant.

Indeed. Now that Trump is gone, Moscow Mitch needs cover from somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Especially after he tanked the senate vote on the Jan 6 commission, maybe now Manchin will give up his bipartisanship fantasy about the current GOP. Nuke the filibuster.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1905  Postby The_Piper » May 29, 2021 4:58 am

Manchin is in lala land. Don't expect him to be swayed. He's unswayable.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1906  Postby Seabass » May 29, 2021 6:48 pm

An actual tweet by an actual sitting US congressman.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1907  Postby Alan C » May 29, 2021 11:08 pm

Seabass wrote:An actual tweet by an actual sitting US congressman.

Someone responded to that saying he tried to out a female military member, I think she was a whistleblower.

Also, this is the same weirdo that cut a political ad of himself jumping out of a military plane because liberals were in danger of winning.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1908  Postby Seabass » May 29, 2021 11:40 pm

Alan C wrote:
Seabass wrote:An actual tweet by an actual sitting US congressman.

Someone responded to that saying he tried to out a female military member, I think she was a whistleblower.

Also, this is the same weirdo that cut a political ad of himself jumping out of a military plane because liberals were in danger of winning.

Yeah, that guy. :lol:

For those who haven't seen that ad, here it is: (be sure to have a bucket handy)

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1909  Postby Tortured_Genius » May 29, 2021 11:58 pm

The guys bio on the crenshaw.house.gov website is, well, weird too.

Apparently he has been selected for divine intervention:
On Dan’s third deployment in 2012, his life changed forever. After six months of combat operations, he was hit by an IED blast during a mission in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was evacuated and awoke from his medically induced coma learning that his right eye had been destroyed in the blast and his left eye was badly damaged. Dan was completely blind and the doctors did not believe he would ever see again. Tara stood by him every day and night, keeping faith and praying he would see again. After several difficult surgeries and months of fighting a tough diagnosis, Dan eventually regained sight in his left eye, a miracle according to the head surgeon. Dan refused to quit and went on to deploy twice more, first back to the Middle East in 2014 and then South Korea in 2016.

(I'm not linking it because :puke:)

So there you have it - directly touched by the hand of God through the intercession of his wife. It's a miracle I tell you, a miracle! (and has nothing to do with advanced surgical care at all).

This is the sort of shit we get establishing the "Divine Right" when the gutter press are at their most sycophantic when referring to the royals and British aristocracy.

So God is definitely on Commander Crenshaw's side - I can't help wondering of there is an Ofdan in the background somewhere.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1910  Postby Spearthrower » May 30, 2021 5:37 am

He underwent months of modern ophthalmic reconstructive surgery by world renowned experts... just to pass the time while waiting for a miracle to restore his sight.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1911  Postby Seabass » May 30, 2021 10:47 pm

Seabass

Print view this post

#1912  Postby Hermit » May 31, 2021 1:53 am

So around a quarter of Republican voters believe all sorts of absurdities. No surprise there. But 8 fucking per cent of Democrat voters believe that the US government, media, and financial sector are controlled by a group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who run a global child sex trafficking operation? WTF, United States of America?

ETA: I've thought about it some more; Education is not as highly valued in the US as in some other "first world" countries, particularly not in the former slave-states, and Democrat voters live down there too.
Last edited by Hermit on May 31, 2021 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#1913  Postby Seabass » May 31, 2021 2:04 am

I know, right? Strangely, there was a small portion of Dems that voted for Trump. Thankfully, there were still enough that were disgusted by him to give him the boot, but still...

That's cult of personality for you...

But it's the third column that concerns me most.
Seabass

Print view this post

#1914  Postby Spearthrower » May 31, 2021 2:56 pm

Stupidity isn't partisan.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1915  Postby Alan C » May 31, 2021 9:51 pm

Once again, it's republicans giving the middle finger to rational society?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1916  Postby Hermit » Jun 01, 2021 3:57 am

Spearthrower wrote:Stupidity isn't partisan.

I am more inclined to call it lack of education.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#1917  Postby Animavore » Jun 01, 2021 5:19 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1918  Postby felltoearth » Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm

I like the assumption that Oswald was photoshopped into the pic. The guy was a decorated sharp shooter. Where do they think he learned to do that?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Republican Watch

#1919  Postby felltoearth » Jun 01, 2021 7:28 pm

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1920  Postby Seabass » Jun 02, 2021 11:18 pm

The people who claim to hate cancel culture and love free speech have cancelled a student for making fun of them.

A Law Student Isn’t Allowed to Graduate Because He Made Fun of the Federalist Society

On Jan. 25, Nicholas Wallace, a third-year student at Stanford Law School, sent a satirical flyer to a student listserv reserved for debate and political commentary. The flyer promoted a fake event, “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection,” ostensibly sponsored by the Stanford Federalist Society. It advertised the participation of two politicians who tried to overturn the 2020 election, Missouri Sen. Joshua Hawley and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. “Violent insurrection, also known as doing a coup, is a classical system of installing a government,” the flyer read, adding that insurrection “can be an effective approach to upholding the principle of limited government.”

Wallace’s email was designed to mock the Stanford Federalist Society for refusing to disavow the many Federalist Society luminaries who fomented the storming of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, including Hawley and Paxton. It worked: The flyer went viral, prompting USA Today to confirm that it was, indeed, satire. But the Stanford Federalist Society was not amused. In March, one of the group’s top officers filed a complaint against Wallace with Stanford’s Office of Community Standards. (This person’s name has been redacted from all documents.) The student alleged that Wallace’s satire “defamed” the Stanford Federalist Society, causing “harm” to the student group and to the “individual reputations” of the officers.

Then, on May 22, with graduation looming, the Stanford Federalist Society officer pushed the school to initiate a formal investigation. Wallace did not receive the complaint against him until May 27, his last day of classes. Stanford then placed a hold on his degree, prohibiting him from receiving his actual diploma at graduation on June 12. It has continued to investigate him for “a possible violation of the Fundamental Standard,” the school’s code of conduct, subjecting him to the same procedures that suspected plagiarists must undergo. The hold on his diploma has jeopardized Wallace’s plans to take the Michigan bar exam this summer; the state bar requires applicants to send their diplomas immediately upon graduation, which he will not be able to do.

Seabass

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs