Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Republican Watch

#2101  Postby The_Piper » Jan 05, 2022 10:25 pm

newolder wrote:Guess who:
“In light of the total bias and dishonesty of the January 6th Unselect Committee of Democrats, two failed Republicans, and the Fake News Media, I am canceling the January 6th Press Conference at Mar-a-Lago on Thursday, and instead will discuss many of those important topics at my rally on Saturday, January 15th, in Arizona – It will be a big crowd!”
From The Hill

It sounds like he finally listened to legal advice, because he was almost certainly going to incriminate himself and others like he always does. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2102  Postby Seabass » Jan 06, 2022 2:20 am

Jason Stanley wrote:America is now in fascism’s legal phase

“Let us be reminded that before there is a final solution, there must be a first solution, a second one, even a third. The move toward a final solution is not a jump. It takes one step, then another, then another.”

So began Toni Morrison’s 1995 address to Howard University, entitled Racism and Fascism, which delineated 10 step-by-step procedures to carry a society from first to last.

Morrison’s interest was not in fascist demagogues or fascist regimes. It was rather in “forces interested in fascist solutions to national problems”. The procedures she described were methods to normalize such solutions, to “construct an internal enemy”, isolate, demonize and criminalize it and sympathizers to its ideology and their allies, and, using the media, provide the illusion of power and influence to one’s supporters.

Morrison saw, in the history of US racism, fascist practices – ones that could enable a fascist social and political movement in the United States.

Writing in the era of the “super-predator” myth (a Newsweek headline the next year read, “Superpredators: Should we cage the new breed of vicious kids?”), Morrison unflinchingly read fascism into the practices of US racism. Twenty-five years later, those “forces interested in fascist solutions to national problems” are closer than ever to winning a multi-decade national fight.

The contemporary American fascist movement is led by oligarchical interests for whom the public good is an impediment, such as those in the hydrocarbon business, as well as a social, political, and religious movement with roots in the Confederacy. As in all fascist movements, these forces have found a popular leader unconstrained by the rules of democracy, this time in the figure of Donald Trump.

My father, raised in Berlin under the Nazis, saw in European fascism a course that any country could take. He knew that US democracy was not exceptional in its capacity to resist the forces that shattered his family and devastated his youth. My mother, a court stenographer in US criminal courts for 44 years, saw in the anti-Black racism of the American legal system parallels to the vicious antisemitism she experienced in her youth in Poland, attitudes which enabled eastern European complicity with fascism. And my grandmother, Ilse Stanley, wrote a memoir, published in 1957, of her experiences in 1930s Berlin, later appearing on the US television show This is Your Life to discuss it. It is a memoir of the normalization years of German fascism, well before world war and genocide. In it, she recounts experiences with Nazi officers who assured her that in nazism’s vilification of Jews, they certainly did not mean her.

Philosophers have always been at the forefront in the analysis of fascist ideology and movements. In keeping with a tradition that includes the philosophers Hannah Arendt and Theodor Adorno, I have been writing for a decade on the way politicians and movement leaders employ propaganda, centrally including fascist propaganda, to win elections and gain power.

Often, those who employ fascist tactics do so cynically – they do not really believe the enemies they target are so malign, or so powerful, as their rhetoric suggests. Nevertheless, there comes a tipping point, where rhetoric becomes policy. Donald Trump and the party that is now in thrall to him have long been exploiting fascist propaganda. They are now inscribing it into fascist policy.

Fascist propaganda takes place in the US in already fertile ground – decades of racial strife has led to the United States having by far the highest incarceration rate in the world. A police militarized to address the wounds of racial inequities by violence, and a recent history of unsuccessful imperial wars have made us susceptible to a narrative of national humiliation by enemies both internal and external. As WEB Du Bois showed in his 1935 masterwork Black Reconstruction, there is a long history of business elites backing racism and fascism out of self-interest, to divide the working class and thereby destroy the labor movement.

The novel development is that a ruthless would-be autocrat has marshalled these fascist forces and shaped them into a cult, with him as its leader. We are now well into the repercussions of this latter process – where fascist lies, for example, the “big lie” that the 2020 election was stolen, have begun to restructure institutions, notably electoral infrastructure and law. As this process unfolds, slowly and deliberately, the media’s normalization of these processes evokes Morrison’s tenth and final step: “Maintain, at all costs, silence.”

continued:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/america-fascism-legal-phase

Clashing ideologies about the meaning of democracy in America are no less harrowing than the events of January 6. Journalist Bill Moyers, a 30-time Emmy Award winner, shares his views and concerns in the new PBS documentary "Preserving Democracy," airing tomorrow. Moyers speaks with Hari Sreenivasan alongside historian Kathleen Belew – who also appears in the film – about the insurrection and the danger of a recurrence.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#2103  Postby The_Piper » Jan 07, 2022 1:31 am

:shock:
Prediction: sarscov2. If it had to happen to someone, it's hard to think of a better candidate. Either that, or he was out back huffing Sudafed with Donald Trump.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2104  Postby Alan C » Jan 07, 2022 1:52 am

It would be darkly appropriate for DeathSantis. I still think him and other similar toilet stains should be rotting in a cell, then by all means get done in by covid.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2105  Postby Seabass » Jan 07, 2022 2:06 am

Before 2016, I was not the kind of person who wished death on people.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#2106  Postby The_Piper » Jan 07, 2022 2:35 am

Alan C wrote:It would be darkly appropriate for DeathSantis. I still think him and other similar toilet stains should be rotting in a cell, then by all means get done in by covid.

Well he's probably vaccinated and boosted, so he may get his chance to rot in jail. One can hope, but not expect that he'll ever be held accountable for the ruin he's caused so many Floridian families.
Seabass wrote:Before 2016, I was not the kind of person who wished death on people.
Right? My first instinct when watching the video was to laugh. Then I remembered that none of any of this is funny.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2107  Postby Alan C » Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Russian Ron is running for a third time, despite saying he believed in term limits in the past. Could be a tough contest this time though it seems.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2108  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 10, 2022 9:05 pm

Alan C wrote:Russian Ron is running for a third time, despite saying he believed in term limits in the past. Could be a tough contest this time though it seems.

got to change the tune in time for Trump 2024 and then 2028
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#2109  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 11, 2022 12:16 am

It's not outside of possibility, especially as the US seems to be sleep-walking towards that precipice. If Dems don't overturn the recent racist voting rights, the above is not in the realm of fantasy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republica ... l_election

Following the 2020 United States presidential election and attempts by Donald Trump and Republican officials to overturn it, Republican lawmakers initiated a sweeping effort to make voting laws more restrictive.[2][3] According to the Brennan Center for Justice, as of October 4, 2021, more than 425 bills that would restrict voting access have been introduced in 49 states—with 33 of these bills enacted across 19 states so far.[4] The bills are largely centered around limiting mail-in voting, strengthening voter ID laws, shortening early voting, eliminating automatic and same-day voter registration, curbing the use of ballot drop boxes, and allowing for increased purging of voter rolls.[5][6] Republicans in at least eight states have also introduced bills that would give lawmakers greater power over election administration after they were unsuccessful in their attempts to overturn election results in swing states won by Democratic candidate Joe Biden in the 2020 election.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2110  Postby The_Piper » Jan 11, 2022 1:04 am

The Republican party is fine with fascism, or at least fascism lite, while the other party is so far afraid to make a peep. Wasn't there talk of taking the "kill shot" to Fauci on Fox news? (yes Jesse Waters, while claiming it's a kill shot of , I'm not sure?) Did Biden happen to address that even sort of, in his "fiery" speech? I haven't listened to it in entirety, but I think it was called fiery, because he said the last president did a few of the things he did. They should be all over the news and media screaming about every corrupt and dangerous thing that comes from the right. Not to harp on the Democrats sa if there's a better choice on the ballot somehow, but millions of people risked exposure to coronavirus to vote for them. I'm sure y'all saw the footage of lines several hours long, or heard the stories of counties with 1 or 2 drop-boxes for the entire county. Texas limited it to one box per county, some being geographically large counties and/or with over a million in population. That's cartoon-level corruption. We were hoping for more than just delaying the Republicans coup. I'm not sure they can entice all of those voters to come out, in some cases with even worse conditions, to vote for spineless cowards. :crazy: < ------------ rant included.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-supr ... er-county/
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2111  Postby Alan C » Jan 11, 2022 9:56 pm

Gymbo shows in fact he does have something to hide, also water is wet. Sorting out voting is #1, nothing else will get done without it as well as the whole backsliding into full-on autocracy thing.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2112  Postby Alan C » Jan 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Cue Faux News faux outrage...

Mic catches Fauci describing GOP senator as a moron

Before I clicked I assumed this was about Rand Paul.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2113  Postby Seabass » Jan 11, 2022 11:09 pm

Book bans in schools are catching fire. Black authors say uproar isn’t about students.

Nearly six months ago, celebrated Black children’s author and illustrator Jerry Craft received a message saying some of his books were being pulled from a school library in Texas.

“I was caught off guard,” Craft, the Newbery Medal-winning author of the 2019 graphic novel “New Kid,” told NBCBLK. “I felt bad for the kids because I know how much they love ‘New Kid’ and ‘Class Act.’ I know what my school visits do. … I felt bad if there was going to be some kids that would not be able to take advantage of that.”

The person who sent the message to Craft is from Katy, Texas, a town near Houston that has been under fire for attempts to limit the public’s access to books that teach about racism. In October, the Katy Independent School District made headlines for temporarily yanking two of Craft’s books, which tell the stories of Black boys who experience racism in schools, from school libraries and postponing his virtual visit. A now-deleted petition with more than 400 signatures showed parents calling for Craft’s visit to be canceled.

At the time, Craft tweeted that he was shocked by the accusations.

“Apparently I’m teaching critical race theory,” Craft wrote in response to a parent confused about the ban, citing the decades-old academic and legal framework that teaches about racism in America.

While the Texas school district reinstated the book and rescheduled his visit, Craft is among dozens of Black authors whose works are being pulled from school libraries under the pretext that they’re teaching critical race theory. (Most of the books that are targeted for bans don’t teach critical race theory but are written by and about people of color.). The American Library Association said its Office for Intellectual Freedom reported 273 books were affected by censorship attempts in 2020, many with content that highlighted race, gender and sexuality. Since September alone, there have been at least 230 challenges, the organization said in an email.

continued:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/book-bans-schools-are-catching-fire-black-authors-say-uproar-isnt-stud-rcna10228
Seabass

Print view this post

#2114  Postby Alan C » Jan 12, 2022 10:44 pm

So much for being a 'moderate'

Youngkin reminds Virginians what GOP governance looks like

The Washington Post noted overnight what "resurgent Republicans" in Virginia intend to do with their power.

Among the GOP bills are those to: prohibit local governments from banning guns from parks and government buildings; cancel a minimum wage hike — from $11 an hour to $12 — that's scheduled to take effect next year; require women seeking an abortion to sign a written consent; require voters to show photo ID at the polls; cut the early-voting period from 45 days to 14 days; and repeal a state law requiring local school boards to follow the state's lead on transgender-rights policies.

It's hard not to wonder how many Virginians who backed Republicans last fall, many of whom supported President Joe Biden in 2020, realized they were helping put this agenda on the table.

As for the commonwealth's soon-to-be governor, the Post's editorial board added this week:

Last month, Mr. Youngkin announced he would pull Virginia out of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, an emissions-cutting pact among Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic states, in defiance of common sense and, perhaps, state law. Then, last Wednesday, the governor-elect nominated Andrew Wheeler, a former Trump Environmental Protection Agency chief and onetime coal lobbyist, to be the state's secretary of natural resources.

On the former, no one will benefit from Virginia abandoning the RGGI, an 11-state emissions-cutting agreement, and on the latter, it's hard to justify making Donald Trump's favorite coal lobbyist the steward of Virginia's natural resources.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2115  Postby The_Piper » Jan 13, 2022 12:14 am

" cancel a minimum wage hike — from $11 an hour to $12 — that's scheduled to take effect next year" To late for the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future to pay him a visit. The Ghost of Mr. Woodchuckles would be happy to bite his ankle.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2116  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 13, 2022 1:29 am

Alan C wrote:So much for being a 'moderate'

Youngkin reminds Virginians what GOP governance looks like

The Washington Post noted overnight what "resurgent Republicans" in Virginia intend to do with their power.

Among the GOP bills are those to:
... require women seeking an abortion to sign a written consent;

From whom?

A man?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2117  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 13, 2022 7:27 am

require voters to show photo ID at the polls

This is standard in Germany. We need photo ID for any government interaction.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#2118  Postby Hermit » Jan 13, 2022 9:38 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
require voters to show photo ID at the polls

This is standard in Germany. We need photo ID for any government interaction.

Ihre Papiere, bitte
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#2119  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 13, 2022 10:29 am

Onion to close amid surreal levels of Republican Party hypocrisy

"We just can't compete" says spokesman. (Continues P. 94)
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2120  Postby Seabass » Jan 13, 2022 9:59 pm

https://www.rawstory.com/marjorie-taylor-greene-scientists/

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) asserted on Thursday that scientists have been wrong "since the beginning of time."

During an interview on Real America's Voice, Steve Bannon told Greene that Dr. Peter Hotez of the Baylor College of Medicine had criticized her and other conservatives for their campaign against Covid-19 vaccines.

Bannon asked Greene if she was responsible for "200,000 deaths" that could have been prevented if people were vaccinated.

"The only people responsible for deaths are the people that created Covid-19 and they should be held accountable," Greene replied.

Greene went on to refer to Hotez as "Mr. Bowtie, who calls himself a scientist."

"He thinks he's the authority of truth," she complained. "Here's the situation, scientists have been wrong over and over and over since the beginning of time. So just because he's a scientist doesn't mean he's right."

Although the word "science" did not enter the English language until 1834, Thales of Milets was thought to be one of the first scientists in ancient Greece between 624 B.C.E. and 545 B.C.E. Astronomers, however, believe that the universe is at least 13.8 billion years old.

Being "wrong" is part of the scientific method, which requires testing a hypothesis to determine if assumptions are true.

Greene also falsely claimed that unvaccinated people do not spread Covid-19.

"Cases keep rising and guess what, I'm not sick," she said. "I'm not going around being a super spreader. You're not, Steve. People that are not vaccinated are not spreading Covid all around and we're not sick."

Watch the video below from Real America's Voice.

https://twitter.com/DavidEdwards/status/1481659122219114500
Seabass

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs