Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Republican Watch

#721  Postby willhud9 » Apr 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Ideally classes should be no larger than 10 student per 1 teacher. Those students would be paired with peers of their academic level.

I see it all the time with many of my friends and their kids. They blame the teacher for the kids not understanding the topic this failing or underperforming on a test. But when I go to tutor the kid or help I discover it’s because the teacher doesn’t have time to help each individual kid.

If my boss did not take time in the morning to say, “this is our daily goal, what can we do to meet it?” Id be running a chaotic salon. The real world has one on one encounters with leadership. You aren’t just thrown to the wolves to build resilience.

But then again many GOP based managers I’ve encountered are bosses instead of leaders. They want to order people what to do instead of inspiring by action.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#722  Postby felltoearth » Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm

willhud9 wrote:Ideally classes should be no larger than 10 student per 1 teacher. Those students would be paired with peers of their academic level.

I see it all the time with many of my friends and their kids. They blame the teacher for the kids not understanding the topic this failing or underperforming on a test. But when I go to tutor the kid or help I discover it’s because the teacher doesn’t have time to help each individual kid.

If my boss did not take time in the morning to say, “this is our daily goal, what can we do to meet it?” Id be running a chaotic salon. The real world has one on one encounters with leadership. You aren’t just thrown to the wolves to build resilience.

But then again many GOP based managers I’ve encountered are bosses instead of leaders. They want to order people what to do instead of inspiring by action.

Per the article, it's complicated, but the current wisdom is that younger classes should be smaller and class size should increase with age. This is assuming that other supports are in place.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#723  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Senior classes are more lectures than the classic class.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#724  Postby Willie71 » Apr 03, 2019 3:07 pm

felltoearth wrote:Such fucking bullshit. Our own republicans tried to make that one fly.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5069114

Bigger class sizes make students more resilient.

That was just one of several eyebrow-raising claims that Ontario Education Minister Lisa Thompson made during an interview last week. Her comments quickly provoked a deluge of criticism from many members of the public, educators and the opposition parties.

In an interview with CBC Radio's Metro Morning, Thompson said that businesses and post-secondary educators relayed to her during recent consultations that students are "lacking coping skills and they're lacking resiliency.

"By increasing class sizes in high school, we're preparing them for the reality of post-secondary as well as the world of work."

Thompson was defending the government's recent decision to increase high school class sizes in the province from 22 students to 28. Since that's a board-wide average, some classes — especially important pre-requisites — could swell to as many as 38 or 40 students, educators have warned.

I’m dealing with a similar issue in one of my cases. Parents are frustrated that the school (teacher) refuses to implement any of the prescribed accommodations for their daughter who has adhd, including using written instructions, instead of just verbal instructions. The student isn’t completing assignments because she can’t remember what she’s supposed to do. If she asks for instruction, she is sent to the hallway for being “willful.” The teacher claims it’s unfair to the other kids to give her special treatment. Much like a wheelchair ramp for a student in a wheelchair is unfair to the students who walk. People really are this stupid.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#725  Postby felltoearth » Apr 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Willie71 wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Such fucking bullshit. Our own republicans tried to make that one fly.

That was just one of several eyebrow-raising claims that Ontario Education Minister Lisa Thompson made during an interview last week. Her comments quickly provoked a deluge of criticism from many members of the public, educators and the opposition parties.

In an interview with CBC Radio's Metro Morning, Thompson said that businesses and post-secondary educators relayed to her during recent consultations that students are "lacking coping skills and they're lacking resiliency.

"By increasing class sizes in high school, we're preparing them for the reality of post-secondary as well as the world of work."

Thompson was defending the government's recent decision to increase high school class sizes in the province from 22 students to 28. Since that's a board-wide average, some classes — especially important pre-requisites — could swell to as many as 38 or 40 students, educators have warned.

I’m dealing with a similar issue in one of my cases. Parents are frustrated that the school (teacher) refuses to implement any of the prescribed accommodations for their daughter who has adhd, including using written instructions, instead of just verbal instructions. The student isn’t completing assignments because she can’t remember what she’s supposed to do. If she asks for instruction, she is sent to the hallway for being “willful.” The teacher claims it’s unfair to the other kids to give her special treatment. Much like a wheelchair ramp for a student in a wheelchair is unfair to the students who walk. People really are this stupid.

Sounds like a human rights complaint in the making.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#726  Postby willhud9 » Apr 03, 2019 3:23 pm

I’ve actually been mulling around the idea of a career change and public education seems to be calling me, because of cases like that. I just don’t see myself having time for school.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#727  Postby Willie71 » Apr 03, 2019 6:13 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

I see this all the time in my practise. Adhd being blamed on parents not going to the Catholic Church, or learning disabilities based on parents being divorced. Recommendations are almost never followed after assessments. The outreach therapist in my second last job before I went private used to debrief with me for 1/2 to 1 h at the end of the day a couple times a week, to process the bizarre practices used by teachers. She was relatively new, and I had been around for a couple decades. Our system is that incompetent.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#728  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Friendly phone message left for Rep. Eric Swalwell by a reasonable NRA supporter.

https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/status/ ... 7850627074
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#729  Postby Fenrir » Apr 04, 2019 3:22 am

felltoearth wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

Same old same old.

Have a kid who was spending home time making high powered rockets and building historically correct Mongolian horn bows and Viking shields, in grade 7, yet totally failing school and was labelled a behaviour problem with regular suspensions and spending most of their time in detention.

Totally nothing to do with the teachers or their approach to teaching apparently and no amount of discussion or professional diagnosis of mild adhd could persuade them otherwise. I suspect several of them just couldn't cope with the idea that their students were smarter than they were.

Kid eventually decided that, fuck em, they were going to make a go of this school malarky and bootstrap themselves. Couple that with Vyvanse and in grade 10 we have an A student who is also holding down 2 part-time jobs.

Resilience my fucking arse.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#730  Postby Willie71 » Apr 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Fenrir wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Willie71 wrote:

Same old same old.

Have a kid who was spending home time making high powered rockets and building historically correct Mongolian horn bows and Viking shields, in grade 7, yet totally failing school and was labelled a behaviour problem with regular suspensions and spending most of their time in detention.

Totally nothing to do with the teachers or their approach to teaching apparently and no amount of discussion or professional diagnosis of mild adhd could persuade them otherwise. I suspect several of them just couldn't cope with the idea that their students were smarter than they were.

Kid eventually decided that, fuck em, they were going to make a go of this school malarky and bootstrap themselves. Couple that with Vyvanse and in grade 10 we have an A student who is also holding down 2 part-time jobs.

Resilience my fucking arse.

I could give hundreds of examples of this happening. Teachers are trained to dismiss learning styles, but that’s a bunch of self protectionist bullshit. 70 or more percent of kids with adhd are visual spatial learners. They are given verbal instructions over and over.

Watch this video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=458&v=7odhYT8yzUM[/youtube]
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#731  Postby proudfootz » Apr 05, 2019 1:08 am

Conformity is a highly valued skill - those who happen to fall outside those narrow confines won't make the sort of 'good citizens' schools are expected to produce.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#732  Postby Seabass » Apr 07, 2019 11:44 pm

Is the U.S. a Democracy? A Social Studies Battle Turns on the Nation’s Values
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/us/usa-democracy.html
“I’m really proud of my students,” Ms. Debowski said. “They can handle the complexity.” So she was angry last year when she learned of a proposed revision of the state standards, in which the word “democratic” was dropped from “core democratic values,” and the use of the word “democracy” was reduced.

The changes were made after a group of prominent conservatives helped revise the standards. They drew attention to a long-simmering debate over whether “republic” is a better term than “democracy” to describe the American form of government.

That the two sides in that tussle tend to fall along party lines, each preferring the term that resembles their party name, plays no small part in the debate. But members of the conservative group also brought to the table the argument that K-12 social studies should be based on a close, originalist reading of the United States’ founding documents.

They contended that the curriculum ought to focus more on the nation’s triumphs than its sins. And they pushed for revisions that eliminated “climate change,” “Roe v. Wade” and references to gay and lesbian civil rights.

Activists have long seen influencing state standards as an effective way to shape the next generation of voters. In 2010, conservatives on the Texas State Board of Education removed the word “democracy” as a description of American government, prompting protests. Georgia has also debated the term, eventually settling, in 2016, on standards that use the phrase “representative democracy/republic.”

The Michigan Department of Education invited Mr. Colbeck to participate in the standards-writing process after he submitted a 13-page critique of a 2015 draft of the document. Mr. Colbeck, a former aerospace engineer who became active in politics through the Tea Party movement, saw liberal bias throughout the standards.

Asked to name the influences on his view of American history, Mr. Colbeck cited Dinesh D’Souza, the right-wing commentator, and a radio talk show hosted by Levon R. Yuille, a pastor and anti-abortion activist.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#733  Postby willhud9 » Apr 08, 2019 4:51 am

Control the education of tomorrow’s youth and you stay in power. It’s sickening.

It’s also amusing when parents and conservatives in general mock teachers for being liberal. I wonder why they are liberal? Could it be that through rigorous education and openness to new ideas that they are prone to accept hard truths? Nah it’s probably because teachers are just sensitive snowflakes.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#734  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 08, 2019 9:11 am

With the Repugs is dont educate and keep them dumb.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#735  Postby Alan C » Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:With the Repugs is dont educate and keep them dumb.

They want a population just smart enough to operate any remaining machinery and the tills. Although such an approach would see the US resembling Warhammer 40k in fairly short order.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#736  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am

The Repugs are short term thinkers as it would be too much of a strain otherwise.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#737  Postby Willie71 » Apr 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Classroom structure has been modified over the years to “help students learn better.” However, if you compare these improvements with the expectations of the work force, the classrooms seem to improve to resemble the structure of the most common jobs.
Willie71

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#738  Postby Animavore » Apr 08, 2019 10:52 pm

The ruling class.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#739  Postby Alan C » Apr 09, 2019 2:02 am

Trump apparently met with a disgraced casino mogul.

Why would Trump agree to meet with Steve Wynn

To date, the RNC has failed to comment on the reports of Wynn’s alleged misconduct and has kept his money.

Part of the problem for the Republican National Committee is that it demanded a certain set of standards. Circling back to our earlier coverage, when Harvey Weinstein faced related allegations in 2017, the RNC invested considerable energy, not only in trying to tie Weinstein to Democrats, but also in demanding that the DNC return any contributions it received from the disgraced Hollywood producer.

This is, perhaps, more relevant to this thread being that it is yet another example of rank Republican hypocrisy. I'd maintain such behaviour is a difference between the parties, the GOP is the far more hypocritical, self-serving and power-hungry of the two.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#740  Postby Alan C » Apr 11, 2019 12:27 am

Fucking Jim Jordan again;

Republicans warn drug companies not to cooperate

We’ve seen Republicans reach out to a foreign country’s leaders in the hopes of sabotaging nuclear talks, and we’ve seen Republicans reach out to sports leagues in the hopes of discouraging Americans from getting health care coverage, but Republicans warning an industry about cooperating with their own branch of government’s investigation seems entirely new.

BuzzFeed’s report went on to note that Jordan and Meadows – leaders of the right-wing House Freedom Caucus – want Big Pharma to believe Democrats will misuse the information drug companies provide as part of a dastardly plot to drive down stock prices.

In other words, two of Congress’ most high-profile conservatives are justifying their efforts to undermine a congressional investigation by peddling a conspiracy theory.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs