Russian and US ambitions and motivations

Split from Trump Watch thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Russian and US ambitions and motivations

#341  Postby Tortured_Genius » Dec 10, 2019 4:55 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I feel like I'm harping on about this but this from back in August...they just come out and say it now.
“I support Russia because I agree with most of its foreign-policy stands. I want a multi-polar world. Were it not for Russia and Iran, with whom I also stand, then the black flag of ISIS would today be fluttering over Damascus.“

People on the left and the right. "Anti-war" people using the language of "the war on terror" while also calling their opponents neocons and warmongers. Remarkable.

Ah, so George Galloway is still a twat.

That one probably belongs on the "in other news, water is wet" thread TBH.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#342  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 10, 2019 9:15 am

felltoearth wrote:Bizarre innit?

Tortured_Genius wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I feel like I'm harping on about this but this from back in August...they just come out and say it now.
“I support Russia because I agree with most of its foreign-policy stands. I want a multi-polar world. Were it not for Russia and Iran, with whom I also stand, then the black flag of ISIS would today be fluttering over Damascus.“

People on the left and the right. "Anti-war" people using the language of "the war on terror" while also calling their opponents neocons and warmongers. Remarkable.

Ah, so George Galloway is still a twat.

That one probably belongs on the "in other news, water is wet" thread TBH.

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks so. :lol:

Like, I knew he was a piece of shit (he's an RT regular). But this is "In joining Sputnik, I pledge allegiance to Mother Russia" type lunacy.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#343  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Well we've already had the "I want a multi-polar world!" here, as if that was any sort of reason to support a creepy despot who's bleeding his people dry.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#344  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 10, 2019 10:20 pm

Ahh yeah, the Dugin stuff. Galloway's a Brexiter, too, ain't he? Dugin literally calls for the UK to be cut off from Europe in his Foundations of Geopolitics, so...

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#345  Postby Fallible » Dec 11, 2019 4:54 pm

What a silly sausage...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#346  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 11, 2019 10:47 pm

A silly, silly sausage. With onions and tomato sauce. On a bread slice. Folded triangularly in half.

Oh, I want a sausage sizzle.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#347  Postby Hermit » Dec 12, 2019 2:55 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:A silly, silly sausage. With onions and tomato sauce. On a bread slice. Folded triangularly in half.

Oh, I want a sausage sizzle.

Australian style, of course. Just remember, it's gotta be onions first!
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#348  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 12, 2019 6:28 am

I like to fry some brioche buns, sprinkle them with uncooked sliced red onion, slice the sausage lengthwise and then in half to lay the pieces across the onion like little wood planks, and then top it with Dijon. And then I eat it with a knife and fork. And I do all of this in front of Aussie tradies with Southern Cross tattoos on their backs. Just to fuck with 'em.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#349  Postby Hermit » Dec 12, 2019 7:46 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I like to fry some brioche buns, sprinkle them with uncooked sliced red onion, slice the sausage lengthwise and then in half to lay the pieces across the onion like little wood planks, and then top it with Dijon. And then I eat it with a knife and fork. And I do all of this in front of Aussie tradies with Southern Cross tattoos on their backs. Just to fuck with 'em.

That would go down well with a glass of Henschke's 2013 vintage Cabernet Sauvignon from the Barossa region's Eden Valley. Don't forget to tuck in your serviette first, though.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#350  Postby Fallible » Dec 12, 2019 9:30 am

Hotdog out of a jar, white bun, fried onions, Dijon and tomato sauce. Bosh.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#351  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 12, 2019 10:07 am

Maybe I should start a sausage sizzle thread.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#352  Postby Svartalf » Dec 12, 2019 11:18 am

lol, a giggle of school girls, a murder of ravens, a sizzle of sausages.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#353  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Svartalf wrote:a sizzle of sausages.

Can you supply a link to that?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#354  Postby newolder » Dec 12, 2019 12:11 pm

... or another offal joke?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#355  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 02, 2020 5:09 am

Meanwhile Russian revisionism continues apace as Putin demands the rest of the world accept his rewriting of history.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50955273
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#356  Postby tuco » Jan 02, 2020 7:43 am

Well, as long as he does not demand with the red army, I will just lol.

I wonder why what he says, on the matter at hand, ought to be taken so seriously as it seems. History was written already and all we, and anyone else after us, are left with are interpretations. His interpretation cannot, in my mind, influence much in reality. Because if it can, I would like to see how. I dunno how many millions of Russians will think that Stalin was cool and had no dealings in starting WW2? Why is that important? Because of .. the truth?

Anyway, the article mentions the Munich Agreement. How far is he from the truth when he says:

He argued that the Western powers and Poland had appeased Hitler's aggression by letting him grab Czechoslovakia in 1938.

President Putin argued that Stalin had tried to forge an anti-Hitler alliance with Britain, France and Poland, but that the Munich Agreement in 1938 - dooming Czechoslovakia - had scuppered that plan. Stalin then had to reach a deal with Hitler, feeling betrayed by the West, he argued.

What would happen if the alliance would not sign it?
tuco

Print view this post

#357  Postby Spinozasgalt » Feb 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Inquiry strikes blow to Russian denials of Syria chemical attack
UN watchdog’s investigation rebuts claims it manipulated evidence of Douma incident

A Russia-led campaign that claimed the UN weapons watchdog had manipulated evidence of a Syrian government chemical weapons attack has been dealt a blow by an official inquiry showing that two former employees hailed as whistleblowers had little direct access to the evidence and inflated their role.

The independent inquiry commissioned by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) shows that one of the two had never been on the team investigating the April 2018 attack in Douma and the other was only on the team for a brief period.

Both individuals, referred to in the report as Inspector A and B, may face legal action.

More than 40 people were killed on 7 April 2018 in the town of Douma on the outskirts of Damascus. The town was at the time held by rebels but besieged by pro-government forces. Civilians claimed they were the victims of a chemical weapon attack.

Continued at the link...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... cal-attack

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Hermit » Feb 08, 2020 4:56 am

tuco wrote:History was written already and all we, and anyone else after us, are left with are interpretations. His interpretation cannot, in my mind, influence much in reality.

That is total crap. "History is written by the winners" (Napoleon Bonaparte), so we don't get "what really happened" in the first place. Then it keeps getting rewritten to consolidate the position of whoever is in power at the time. "Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past" (George Orwell). Putin is now doing exactly whatever any powerful individual or organisation has always done.

As for the ambassador's tweet, she is sort of correct. Both Hitler and Stalin knew perfectly well that sooner rather than later they'll come to blows with each other. They've had a desperate arms race because of it already. The war between them was not a matter of if. It was a matter of when. The only uncertainty was who was going to feel ready to shoot first. Hitler did not abandon Operation Sea Lion because he lost the Battle of Britain. Losing a battle is not the same as losing a campaign, let alone an entire war. He opened up the eastern front because he panicked. His fear was that he might attack too late. Too late because the USSR was ramping up its armaments production at an alarming rate. Delaying much longer could well mean no longer being able to overpower the USSR.

That's why the non-aggression pact was a charade from the outset. Hitler knew it. Stalin knew it. Everybody with two brain cells to rub together knew it. This cartoon by David Low was published in the Evening Standard newspaper on 21 October 1939, barely a month after Molotov and Ribbentrop signed the pact and a year and 8 months before Operation Barbarossa began.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#359  Postby Thommo » Apr 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Mike_L wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
Regina wrote:You do not need to generate traffic for the shysters at rt to get that piece of information.

You're right. I don't have to. But if I first came upon it at RT.com (a news source for which I'm happy to generate traffic) then I see no reason to go searching for it elsewhere.

The point is, nobody else does, either. If you want to make yourself look like a spammer, keep at it. Until you can't.

So linking to an on-topic news article is 'spamming' if you happen not to like the platform?
And who is "nobody else"? You speak for all of Ratskep, do you?
You can address the topic (US steals medical equipment from trans-Atlantic ally)... or not address it. Or you can try for a thread derail (again). And you went for that last one. Good for you!
:thumbup:

Spamming is doing the same thing repetitively, you surely cannot be suggesting this pattern only persists in that one link or one thread.

For the record the topic is "The New And Coming Plague" (whatever that means) and your own post used this as its own subject line, as I'm sure you're pefectly well aware. The question raised in respect of that post is whether this direction of plugging Russian propaganda from more than dubious sources happens often enough to be called "spamming".
Thommo

Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#360  Postby Mike_L » Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm

Thommo wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: compressed
Mike_L wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mike_L wrote:
You're right. I don't have to. But if I first came upon it at RT.com (a news source for which I'm happy to generate traffic) then I see no reason to go searching for it elsewhere.

The point is, nobody else does, either. If you want to make yourself look like a spammer, keep at it. Until you can't.

So linking to an on-topic news article is 'spamming' if you happen not to like the platform?
And who is "nobody else"? You speak for all of Ratskep, do you?
You can address the topic (US steals medical equipment from trans-Atlantic ally)... or not address it. Or you can try for a thread derail (again). And you went for that last one. Good for you!
:thumbup:

Spamming is doing the same thing repetitively, you surely cannot be suggesting this pattern only persists in that one link or one thread.

For the record the topic is "The New And Coming Plague" (whatever that means) and your own post used this as its own subject line, as I'm sure you're pefectly well aware.

Yes, it could've been posted in the 'Trump COVID-19' thread or the even the 'Masks' thread (since it was masks that were swiped)... where it would doubtlessly have gotten the same sort of response... because "RT bad" and all that.

The question raised in respect of that post is whether this direction of plugging Russian propaganda from more than dubious sources happens often enough to be called "spamming".

I suppose I could've posted a link to the Guardian article or to a BBC one, but I didn't feel like plugging UK propaganda.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs