Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

When sexism accusations go too far

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#181  Postby laklak » Sep 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Be interesting to see if we've actually left Jack London and Jim Jefferies behind. Or Jerry Quarry.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 18090
Age: 64
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#182  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 10:18 pm

I just resolved to make a point of watching zero sport from now on. Hope that helps, in general.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#183  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Keep It Real wrote:sooooooooooooooooooo not in the mood for an argument Pensive....needless to say, by my mind and genpop's and Australian cartoonists/editors; upper body strength is overwhelmingly (NPI) the province of males.


It's fine if you don't want to argue. But if it's just an excuse for poorly thought out positions, you're only fooling yourself. I am not looking for an argument either. I just think it would be nice to see rational skepticism dominate the conversations rather than being relegated to the exception on a site with "rational" and "skepticism" in the domain name.

When you say:


I wonder what the "transgender" "community" make of this.


You are already showing your own biases. Replace "transgender" with "Mexicans" or "Chinese" or "Jews." Assuming ALL in any group (even if that group is "atheists") would be represented by one or a few is misguided at best. It is hypocritical to cry racism over the Serena cartoon and then in the very next breath, do what would be tantamount to, what do we call it, "transgenderism?" It's lazy thinking. Anytime you generalize any group, you run the very real risk of being dismissive of those in the group to whom the generalizations do not apply. IMO, that is about the furthest thing from "rational" that I can imagine, omission of data in drawing conclusions.

So, asking what would transgenders think is pretty much :picard:
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#184  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Maybe I'm just jelly because there's currently no community I can call myself part of...not even incels or women...or tennis pros.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#185  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Needless to say I'm not a fan of Tennis as a spectator sport. Shove ur millions up ur cunt Osaka and bleed the notes onto one of our real problems.


:o

Because all women bleed, KIR?



BTW, I'm not trolling you. I am trying to make the point (for others besides yourself) that it's real easy to claim sexism where I don't think it was intended. I hope you don't mind me using you to make that point (or try in any case. I believe that is the case for the Serena cartoon. As with all art, it is purely subjective. We might as well argue whether or not Mapplethorpe was a peddler of porn.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#186  Postby Animavore » Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm

I read an article in The Roots earlier explaining why the cartoon is racist and sexist.

https://www.theroot.com/why-the-serena- ... 1828970379

And from the comment section on white people trying to dictate what is and isn't racist.

White people feel like they can punch you in the face and then turn decide how much it hurt you. 
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 41034
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#187  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Maybe I'm just jelly because there's currently no community I can call myself part of...not even incels or women...or tennis pros.


I'm sure I could help you identify at least one or two ;)
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#188  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 10:47 pm

I'd really rather you didn't call that...image...art Pensive.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#189  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Animavore wrote:I read an article in The Roots earlier explaining why the cartoon is racist and sexist.

https://www.theroot.com/why-the-serena- ... 1828970379

And from the comment section on white people trying to dictate what is and isn't racist.

White people feel like they can punch you in the face and then turn decide how much it hurt you. 


I suppose it's how one defines racism. If feeling hurt or insulted is all that's required to qualify a remark for "racism," then I stand corrected. I always thought racism was about the belief that one race was superior to another and then treat all of them as if they're all the same (discrimination). Maybe I'm wrong.

To me, the phrase "White people feel like..." is mother fucking racist... I'm white. It doesn't hurt me in the slightest. But it does discriminate... people with white skin do this or that. White men can't jump isn't racist because it has the virtue of truth?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#190  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 10:56 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Needless to say I'm not a fan of Tennis as a spectator sport. Shove ur millions up ur cunt Osaka and bleed the notes onto one of our real problems.


:o

Because all women bleed, KIR?



Yeah that was pretty sexist, sorry. Really. Really. Sorry and ashamed I am.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#191  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 10:58 pm

About that sentence.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#192  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I'd really rather you didn't call that...image...art Pensive.


Tough shit.

This is the problem with so many liberals... the idea that something is or isn't art is NOT defined by whether or not you like it, agree with it or prefer it go away.

Does anyone here not understand the Mapplethorpe reference?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#193  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
PensivePenny wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Needless to say I'm not a fan of Tennis as a spectator sport. Shove ur millions up ur cunt Osaka and bleed the notes onto one of our real problems.


:o

Because all women bleed, KIR?



Yeah that was pretty sexist, sorry. Really. Really. Sorry and ashamed I am.


Ashamed? I know I've been away for a while but isn't the feeling of shame somehow tied to personal responsibility for your actions? Weren't you in some kind of crisis or other over having no sense of responsibility?

Or are you just taking a piss?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#194  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
PensivePenny wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Needless to say I'm not a fan of Tennis as a spectator sport. Shove ur millions up ur cunt Osaka and bleed the notes onto one of our real problems.


:o

Because all women bleed, KIR?



Yeah that was pretty sexist, sorry. Really. Really. Sorry and ashamed I am.


But then again if some people will play tennis for a job...
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#195  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 11:05 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
PensivePenny wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Needless to say I'm not a fan of Tennis as a spectator sport. Shove ur millions up ur cunt Osaka and bleed the notes onto one of our real problems.


:o

Because all women bleed, KIR?



Yeah that was pretty sexist, sorry. Really. Really. Sorry and ashamed I am.


Ashamed? I know I've been away for a while but isn't the feeling of shame somehow tied to personal responsibility for your actions? Weren't you in some kind of crisis or other over having no sense of responsibility?

Or are you just taking a piss?


I guess if I were physiologically capable of having a period u wouldn't have a problem with me saying that, nor me?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#196  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 11:08 pm

I need be held responsible for my actions although I am not. We're all in that boat.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#197  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 11:11 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
Does anyone here not understand the Mapplethorpe reference?

Me, for one
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#198  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 11:12 pm

KiR... I don't have a problem with you or anything you said. But if I did, it most certainly would not be due to your physical anatomy. I do however think that you have a lot of irrational, hypocritical comments and I'm just trying to help you out by pointing them out to you. That's all. I'm a sucker for lost causes though and I know how this will end.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#199  Postby PensivePenny » Sep 12, 2018 11:17 pm

KiR... Look up Mapplethorpe. His art was at the center of a US legal debate a couple decades back on what constitutes art and what is just gratuitous obscenity. He won... just because you don't like it, just because it's provocative, just because you don't "get it", doesn't mean it's not art.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny
 
Name: Penny
Posts: 1687
Age: 55
Female

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#200  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 13, 2018 12:34 am

Well I guess I think a lot of formulaic DnB isn't art so blabla bla on semantics we go. I just personally don't like that piece being referred to as art.

My conversations with the devout muslims about AGW and how they don't worry 'cos Allah just now on the way home from the offy however...Bacon - A brush with violence.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
User avatar
Keep It Real
 
Posts: 6434
Age: 37
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest