Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

When sexism accusations go too far

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#21  Postby Thommo » Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm

laklak wrote:I remember John McEnroe. You, madam, are no John McEnroe.

I found him pretty unedifying, but she's probably worse. Nick Kyrgios is pretty unpleasant to watch as well at times.
Thommo

Print view this post

#22  Postby Thommo » Sep 10, 2018 4:44 pm

GrahamH wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Fallible wrote:Her complaint has also been upheld by the Tennis Association or whatever it's called, so I doubt she will apologise.

Has it? I don't really know how tennis is organised, but while the Women's Tennis Association came out in her defence, she was also fined $17k for her behaviour, which doesn't suggest that her complaint has been upheld by anyone that matters. I've heard of lots of anecdotal evidence of male players engaging in similar behaviour without much actual statistical evidence that would suggest a gender discrepancy.

The BBC article on the topic gives the following info:

As I said, I don't really watch tennis that much, but I've never seen another player rant for that long before, and certainly not after 2 prior offences.

That is an interesting graphic that article tends to support William's contention. But we would need to know how many code violations actually occurred as well as how they were dealt with establish if the coaching penalty was fair or not.

How does more penalties having been given to men support Williams's point?

I would caveat that we don't know whether men and women violate at the same rates.
Thommo

Print view this post

#23  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Thommo wrote:
How does more penalties having been given to men support Williams's point?

I would caveat that we don't know whether men and women violate at the same rates.

AIUI on-court coaching is common but penalising it is not common and is not generally taken as a serious issue, but according to that particular chart two fines were applied to women and none to men.

As you say we would need to know the actual violations to conclude anything meaningful there bout rates of penalties.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#24  Postby Animavore » Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Interesting. I didn't know that women had less sets in tennis (as I don't watch it). I'm guessing it's because at tge time the rule was made it was because they thought women can't go the distance?

I can't think of another sport which does that. Though in Ireland we do have a whole sport called camogie which is hurling lite for women.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#25  Postby felltoearth » Sep 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Thommo wrote:

I found him pretty unedifying, but she's probably worse. Nick Kyrgios is pretty unpleasant to watch as well at times.

He was pretty cringe-worthy. Ans he did get called on it.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Animavore wrote:Interesting. I didn't know that women had less sets in tennis (as I don't watch it). I'm guessing it's because at tge time the rule was made it was because they thought women can't go the distance?

I can't think of another sport which does that. Though in Ireland we do have a whole sport called camogie which is hurling lite for women.

One that came to mind is Golf, but it seems I may be out of date regarding "ladies tee". I'm not a golfer.

Ladies can play any set of tees they want, and anyone - male, female, young, old, beginner, experienced - can play the "ladies tees" if they want. So the more appropriate way to refer to the forward tees is ... forward tees.

And calling them "ladies tees" discourages male golfers who should consider playing from the forward tees - such as beginners, juniors, short-hitting high-handicappers, older golfers, or anyone else who would have more fun and a better score playing from a skill-appropriate set of tees - from doing so.

But, alas, the term "ladies tees" is still very common.
https://www.thoughtco.com/ladies-tees-1564199
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#27  Postby Thommo » Sep 10, 2018 5:26 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Thommo wrote:

He was pretty cringe-worthy. Ans he did get called on it.

:lol:

He was awful at times. Watching that back, I think he's worse than Williams.
Thommo

Print view this post

#28  Postby felltoearth » Sep 10, 2018 5:53 pm

I do miss Ivan Lindl though. Man he was good.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 10, 2018 5:57 pm

The ITF has backed the umpire.

The International Tennis Federation has backed umpire Carlos Ramos in the row over his handling of the US Open final, saying he acted with “professionalism and integrity”.

“Mr Ramos’ decisions were in accordance with the relevant rules and were re-affirmed by the US Open’s decision to fine Serena Williams for the three offences. It is understandable that this high profile and regrettable incident should provoke debate. At the same time, it is important to remember that Mr Ramos undertook his duties as an official according to the relevant rule book and acted at all times with professionalism and integrity.”
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#30  Postby aban57 » Sep 10, 2018 6:01 pm

Animavore wrote:Interesting. I didn't know that women had less sets in tennis (as I don't watch it). I'm guessing it's because at tge time the rule was made it was because they thought women can't go the distance?

Well they do it in other sports too. The 100m is only for men, it's 90 for women, y'know.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#31  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Women have only been allowed to run the marathon in athletics since the 80s, I think.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Thommo » Sep 10, 2018 6:36 pm

The one thing I do agree with here is that the rules banning coaching should be revoked. It happens so often now, that you're always going to get this kind of problem due to inconsistent application of the rules. And it's applied frequently and inconsistently precisely because the rule isn't really needed.
Thommo

Print view this post

#33  Postby Animavore » Sep 10, 2018 6:38 pm

aban57 wrote:

Well they do it in other sports too. The 100m is only for men, it's 90 for women, y'know.

:eh:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 10, 2018 7:00 pm

I think the women's javelin, shotput and discus may well be lighter.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#35  Postby zulumoose » Sep 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Women also play netball instead of basketball, less contact. Softball instead of baseball, though both sexes play softball.
Equestrian events are just about the only sports where male and female compete equally, no distinction.
Even olympic shooting events have men's and women's teams. I can't see the need for that.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Blackadder » Sep 11, 2018 5:36 am

Thommo wrote:
laklak wrote:Has she played the race card yet?

She hasn't but others have on her behalf.

Honestly, I think this is just people getting carried away after the Alizé Cornet incident, which clearly was a sexist double standard.

You can always rely on the Guardian to play the race card.

"Serena Williams’s treatment shows how hard it is to be a black woman at work"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/10/serena-williams-black-woman-work-tennis-discrimination
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Matt_B » Sep 11, 2018 6:09 am

Thommo wrote:The one thing I do agree with here is that the rules banning coaching should be revoked. It happens so often now, that you're always going to get this kind of problem due to inconsistent application of the rules. And it's applied frequently and inconsistently precisely because the rule isn't really needed.

Yep. It's only the Grand Slams that ban on-court coaching anyway. Most other tournaments allow it, and I'd think it makes for better tennis since you'll sometimes see players who've lost it mentally bounce back after a pep talk.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#38  Postby GrahamH » Sep 11, 2018 8:02 am

Blackadder wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Honestly, I think this is just people getting carried away after the Alizé Cornet incident, which clearly was a sexist double standard.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/10/serena-williams-black-woman-work-tennis-discrimination

What's your point? That WIlliams has never faced racism or sexism in her career? That there is definitively no such bias in this case? That if it's in the Guardian it must be false?
Phrases like "play the race card" have worrying connotations.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#39  Postby Thommo » Sep 11, 2018 8:21 am

Blackadder wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Yeah, that's a pretty awful article in my book. To pick one example, whilst I think there's some mileage in the suggestion that women are more prone to having anger dismissed as hysteria, it's completely moot in this case when Williams's anger wasn't dismissed as hysteria, despite her being (as indeed McEnroe was in the clip posted above) hysterical. And that's leaving aside a repeated criticism of playing the race card.

I read in the paper this morning that Ramos was paid the princely sum of £370 to do his job. And that's arguably not enough to have to endure a fifteen minute long tirade, including abuse, in his workplace. Let alone now being portrayed by one of the world's most powerful women as a bastion of sexism, that will undoubtedly see some fraction of her millions of followers hound him online and off.
Thommo

Print view this post

#40  Postby Blackadder » Sep 11, 2018 8:56 am

GrahamH wrote:
Blackadder wrote:
Thommo wrote:

What's your point? That WIlliams has never faced racism or sexism in her career? That there is definitively no such bias in this case? That if it's in the Guardian it must be false?
Phrases like "play the race card" have worrying connotations.

My point is that the writer of that article makes a clear connection with the racism that black women encounter in the workplace (which I don’t doubt for a second) and the Serena Williams incident, in which there has been no evidence of racism from the umpire that I can see. Arguably he may be accused of sexism if he did not apply the same standards to male players (although that is also not proven). That’s another argument. Neither Serena nor anyone in her camp has claimed the incident was racist, unless I missed that news. But this Guardian writer feels at liberty to impugn the umpire with that accusation nonetheless, which is what I mean by playing the race card. It is irresponsible.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs