Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

When sexism accusations go too far

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#581  Postby Teague » Oct 02, 2018 10:30 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Teague wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Or is it that you accept you have biases like anyone else and you are making an abstract point that some other people are different. Is that it?

I have biases against shitheads who assume their conclusions in order to try to make a point. I thought I just had to deal with god-botherers, but that is apparently not the case.

That would be an example of conscious bias - well done :clap:

Well, great. The important thing is not to have unconscious bias. I can adjust for conscious bias, and be polite, but you know, there's nobody to enforce whether I am or not.

Something you seem to struggle to comprehend.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Thommo » Oct 02, 2018 10:32 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:When it's science, everyone's all like, "We'll we're steeped in biases and science gotta control for that blah blah blah. Dunning-Kruger yadda yadda." But when it's racism, everyone's all like, "Whoah, whoah, whoah, all that bias talk is bordering on original sin."

If we're going to talk about science, perhaps we should start from falsifiability.

So racism (in the classic sense, and I did note the video was more than a touch revisionist on that one) "is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. ". This the video reduces to individual/conscious/intent and it definitely exists, we can definitely falsify that - if someone expresses or does not express an attitude of superiority to people from another ethnicity.

Institutional racism also clearly exists, either in patterns of behaviour resulting from systems, from companies or from laws. It's much harder to falsify, because now we're not in an analogy of science, we're doing actual science - we have to look at outcomes compared to expectations, and those expectations are based on assumptions. Still, like any social science there are cases where we can establish a large body of evidence, where we can expose a specific discriminatory law, or a legacy from one. With some work we can still do falsification, so the corresponding failure of falsification still acts as evidence for the charge.

But what about this hybrid of the two? What about this accusation of "that specific event" was racist "that specific person" is being racist? How are we going to falsify that one, when intent doesn't matter, when being conscious of what's happening doesn't matter, where we're accusing an individual and there's no larger pattern to analyse?

When such lengths have been taken to avoid all possible rebuttals, all possible falsifications, then the comparison with a doctrine of original sin isn't quite such a stretch. And when that definition goes further and makes a special exception of the speaker themself (e.g. I can't be racist, I'm black and only white people can be racist)? Then it's no stretch at all.

If an institution is racist, then call it racist. But that doesn't extend to pointing at individuals within that institution, assuming they must be racist and calling them racist too. Of course when someone points the finger people will take that personally. Pointing the finger is personal. Group trends do not necessarily apply to every individual within a group and individuals do not necessarily represent the group they are part of. It's just not necessary to misapply group trends to individuals, in any circumstances, including when it comes to controversial topics.

Just to add: I'm not saying anyone here is or is not behaving in the way described in the third non-falsifiable example here. What I would say is that it's my impression that at the very least the response that things are bordering on original sin generally has such a situation in mind.
Last edited by Thommo on Oct 02, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#583  Postby zulumoose » Oct 02, 2018 10:33 am

You "detest" the idea that people have unconscious biases.

NO, not what I wrote at all. Another strawman. Try reading the whole paragraph, it's only 4 sentences long, and you have ignored or completely misunderstood 3 of them.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#584  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 02, 2018 10:33 am

Teague wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Teague wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I have biases against shitheads who assume their conclusions in order to try to make a point. I thought I just had to deal with god-botherers, but that is apparently not the case.

That would be an example of conscious bias - well done :clap:

Well, great. The important thing is not to have unconscious bias. I can adjust for conscious bias, and be polite, but you know, there's nobody to enforce whether I am or not.

Something you seem to struggle to comprehend.

What, exactly, do you suggest I struggle to comprehend? Do you register irony? No, I guess not.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#585  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 02, 2018 10:35 am

Thommo wrote:
But what about this hybrid of the two? What about this accusation of "that specific event" was racist "that specific person" is being racist? How are we going to falsify that one, when intent doesn't matter, when being conscious of what's happening doesn't matter, where we're accusing an individual and there's no larger pattern to analyse?

A good question.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#586  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:07 am

Thommo wrote:
So racism (in the classic sense, and I did note the video was more than a touch revisionist on that one) "is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. ". This the video reduces to individual/conscious/intent and it definitely exists, we can definitely falsify that - if someone expresses or does not express an attitude of superiority to people from another ethnicity.

I think the video does not reduce to "individual/conscious/intent". As I read it the point is made that many people think of that as the limit of racism, conclude from their own self awareness that they are not doing that and assert that they are not racist. The video goes on to talk about unconscious biases that mean many people discriminate on race, interpret things through a racial filter, while being certain that they are not racist because they have that narrow definition of racism in mind. See "If that is my definition of a racist..." @40s People reject suggestions that they are racist or racially biased with denial because they don't recognise in themselves an individual conscious intent to be mean.

The point of the video is that "individual/conscious/intent" is an error.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#587  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 02, 2018 11:11 am

GrahamH wrote:unconscious biases that mean many people discriminate on race, interpret things through a racial filter

Well, of course it's a filter. But it's not a filter as the EE defines it. It's a filter in the poetic sense. Don't get the two confused.

GrahamH wrote:People reject suggestions that they are racist or racially biased with denial because they don't recognise in themselves an individual conscious intent to be mean.

Ah, intent. Especially when it's unrecognized -- that is, unconscious.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Oct 02, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#588  Postby Thommo » Oct 02, 2018 11:13 am

GrahamH wrote:
Thommo wrote:

I think the video does not reduce to "individual/conscious/intent".

The video doesn't, the point in the video she reduces to "individual/conscious/intent" does. It's literally a quote. That is what the text you're quoting says and is the referrent of the pronoun "this" in the third sentence.

GrahamH wrote:The point of the video is that "individual/conscious/intent" is an error.

I would not summarise the video that way. If it were an accurate summary, then I would say the point of the video is wrong. There is a real meaning of racism, that applies to many actual individuals in which they consciously intend to be racist. They actively believe that racial groupings are reflective of real and meaningful differences in underlying features of humans, such as intelligence, propensity to criminality and so on, and that this makes some races better than others. Indeed over the years we've had dozens of posters here saying exactly that, and ultimately getting banned for it.

And as I said there's also a very real meaning of racism that refers to institutional racism. It's the blurring of the two where the ability to point the finger sanctimoniously while hiding behind the looser criteria of the second - even where those criteria cannot be affirmed or denied - that I'm delineating and criticising.
Last edited by Thommo on Oct 02, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#589  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:20 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Thommo wrote:

A good question.

It is a curious question.

I don't suppose such things are falsifiable. Doesn't that apply to all sorts of behaviour? Is greed falsifiable? Can you falsify any trigger for particular acts from single instances?

There was a study that primed people judging people's character by handing them a hot or a cold cup before they began.

Our judgment of a person’s character can be influenced by something as simple as the warmth of the drink we hold in our hand.
In the October 24, 2008 issue of the journal Science, Yale University psychologists show that people judged others to be more generous and caring if they had just held a warm cup of coffee and less so if they had held an iced coffee. In a second study, they showed people are more likely to give something to others if they had just held something warm and more likely take something for themselves if they held something cold.
https://news.yale.edu/2008/10/23/hot-co ... chers-find

It's not falsifiable that on any single instance the temperature of a beverage is the reason for the assessment.
So what?

If people are open to the possibility and the issue is drawn to their attention they have something to work with. If they deny the possibility or deny it is relevant to this instance because it's not falsfiable in indivisual instances then nothing will change.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#590  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:20 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Thommo wrote:

A good question.

It is a curious question.

I don't suppose such things are falsifiable. Doesn't that apply to all sorts of behaviour? Is greed falsifiable? Can you falsify any trigger for particular acts from single instances?

There was a study that primed people judging people's character by handing them a hot or a cold cup before they began.

Our judgment of a person’s character can be influenced by something as simple as the warmth of the drink we hold in our hand.
In the October 24, 2008 issue of the journal Science, Yale University psychologists show that people judged others to be more generous and caring if they had just held a warm cup of coffee and less so if they had held an iced coffee. In a second study, they showed people are more likely to give something to others if they had just held something warm and more likely take something for themselves if they held something cold.
https://news.yale.edu/2008/10/23/hot-co ... chers-find

It's not falsifiable that on any single instance the temperature of a beverage is the reason for the assessment.
So what?

If people are open to the possibility and the issue is drawn to their attention they have something to work with. If they deny the possibility or deny it is relevant to this instance because it's not falsfiable in indivisual instances then nothing will change.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#591  Postby Thommo » Oct 02, 2018 11:23 am

GrahamH wrote:It's not falsifiable that on any single instance the temperature of a beverage is the reason for the assessment.
So what?

So it is wrong to point to that individual and assign that reason. And if people do this, they should not be surprised that their error is criticised and that their finger pointing provokes a reaction.

(Incidentally, reporting of social science like this does make me feel obliged to say that I take the result with some scepticism, most of published science is wrong).
Last edited by Thommo on Oct 02, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#592  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:26 am

Thommo wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Thommo wrote:

The video doesn't, the point in the video she reduces to "individual/conscious/intent" does. It's literally a quote. That is what the text you're quoting says and is the referrent of the pronoun "this" in the third sentence.

Yes, it's literally a quote :roll:

Take your literal glasses off and watch it again. Who's definition is it and what is she saying are the consequences of people using that defintion for themselves? It's not what she thinks racism is all about.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#593  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:28 am

Thommo wrote:
GrahamH wrote:It's not falsifiable that on any single instance the temperature of a beverage is the reason for the assessment.
So what?

So it is wrong to point to that individual and assign that reason. And if people do this, they should not be surprised that their error is criticised and that their finger pointing provokes a reaction.

It's not an "error" it's an opinion that may inform, or may be rejected through denial. As the title of the video puts it '"I'm not racist" is only half the story'.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#594  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:32 am

Thommo wrote: If it were an accurate summary, then I would say the point of the video is wrong. There is a real meaning of racism, that applies to many actual individuals in which they consciously intend to be racist.

Sure there is that sort of racism as well, but you seem to have mssed the whole point of the video and taken the pointing out of the problem to be the core message. In short you are doing excatly what DiAngelo says poeple do when they miss the very point she made.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#595  Postby Thommo » Oct 02, 2018 11:36 am

GrahamH wrote:
Thommo wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Yes, it's literally a quote :roll:

Take your literal glasses off and watch it again. Who's definition is it and what is she saying are the consequences of people using that defintion for themselves? It's not what she thinks racism is all about.

What are you talking about Graham? You're criticising what I said, and saying I'm not allowed to accurately quote and represent the video, the two things you highlight as her not having said are complete non sequiturs, I haven't said she said them. You've then followed up by rolling your eyes.

This is just going to make another thread descend into farce. Let's just not. For once.

GrahamH wrote:
Thommo wrote:
So what?

It's not an "error" it's an opinion that may inform, or may be rejected through denial. As the title of the video puts it '"I'm not racist" is only half the story'.

Yes, it's an error. It's the exact same error as saying "Men are taller than women, therefore this man is taller than this woman", other than the fact we can actually observe whether this man is taller than this woman or not (we cannot however observe why). Population level statistics describe populations, not individuals, they are different objects.

Combating racism, whether individual or institutional does not require conflating the two. If research shows that CVs with ethnic or unfamiliar names fare worse and this leads to unequal outcomes, the problem can be addressed by removing names from CVs. It can't actually be addressed by pointing at interviewers and calling them racists.

GrahamH wrote:
Thommo wrote: If it were an accurate summary, then I would say the point of the video is wrong. There is a real meaning of racism, that applies to many actual individuals in which they consciously intend to be racist.

Sure there is that sort of racism as well, but you seem to have mssed the whole point of the video and taken the pointing out of the problem to be the core message. In short you are doing excatly what DiAngelo says poeple do when they miss the very point she made.

And we're off again. You deliberately misunderstand my point so you can accuse me of something.

That's as sanctimonious as it is unnecessary, and it's just going to pollute yet another perfectly sensible discussion that I wasn't even having with you. I'm out.
Thommo

Print view this post

#596  Postby GrahamH » Oct 02, 2018 11:45 am

The rest isn't worth replying to. If you answered the questions I posed there might be a constructive civil discussion that could be had.

Thommo wrote:
Combating racism, whether individual or institutional does not require conflating the two. If research shows that CVs with ethnic or unfamiliar names fare worse and this leads to unequal outcomes, the problem can be addressed by removing names from CVs. It can't actually be addressed by pointing at interviewers and calling them racists.

"Calling them racists" might not beconstructive, if they are in denial and take offence, as described in the video. Drawing their attention to their biases can change things. Rather than hide names from them they might be enabled to reflect on the issue and overcome unconscious bias with conscious intent.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#597  Postby felltoearth » Oct 02, 2018 11:53 am

Thommo. You are taking the quote out of context. She is talking about the basis of how white people understand racism and it effects how they react to the subject. She is pointing out that the idea that defining racism as “individual/conscious/intent” seperates people into good/bad categories. This is what most white people react to and leads to defensiveness. It puts up roadblocks to seeing the deeper racism that is the basis of our culture and worse, being able to discuss it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#598  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 02, 2018 12:51 pm

This may be my fault. I'm sorry I mentioned the Spice Girls. Things always blow up when I mention the Spice Girls. :shifty:
Thommo wrote:But what about this hybrid of the two? What about this accusation of "that specific event" was racist "that specific person" is being racist? How are we going to falsify that one, when intent doesn't matter, when being conscious of what's happening doesn't matter, where we're accusing an individual and there's no larger pattern to analyse?

Oh, you all watched the video? I didn't watch the video. In the Knight cartoon case, I think there was a larger pattern to analyse, but I couldn't be bothered expending the energy on a guy like that at the time. Anyway, the rant that follows isn't really aimed at you so much as using your quote here to explain what I think. I'm not going to speak very carefully because I probably won't get very involved in this whole thing. (That means no one should try to argue with me because I'm gonna be listening to music instead.)

But in regards to the epistemic concern in the hybrid case, I'll just say I don't think science (or the way we sometimes do falsifiability as a kind of analogue for it here) is much help because I don't know that it actually demarcates good answers from bad. I think even in a falsification account of science that there's a whole lot more going on. And I guess I doubt that people can practice this full-blown skepticism that they put on here more generally in life. Maybe the view is largely confected from what people brought to the theism discussions years ago here and elsewhere. I do think that as a community we've just never delivered a workable philosophy out of the version of empiricism in use here. But my ideas on this are old news.

I don't know how to resolve the competing racism claims here. I think you've got at least two different understandings of what racism is in these conversations at any one time. I don't just mean that people mix up the systemic/individual cases to create a hybrid, either. I suspect that even that way of parsing it is just one view opposing another. I think that even how accusations of racism behave and what norms they enact and all of that is complicated by the difference. Talk of white supremacy has exploded since Trump's presidency and common usage has absorbed parts of what black theory says about systems of domination and such. White supremacy on this understanding (to the extent that I can make it singular) isn't a view held by some members of the population that we have to locate and educate such people out of or defeat by numbers. It's a system or structure that we all participate in and that's constituted or constructed by the norms we enact around race and how we conceptualise it and so on and so forth. I think that's where some of the clash is.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#599  Postby Thommo » Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm

felltoearth wrote:Thommo. You are taking the quote out of context.

No, I'm not. She is describing that view, that's all I've said. I didn't say it summarised her view, or the video or anything else. Watch that part of the video, she describes that view and summarises it with those three words.

That is not out of context.

ETA: Here, transcript:
I think the most effective adaptation of the system of racism to the challenges of the civil rights movement was to reduce a racist to a very simple formula. A racist is an individual - always an individual not a system - who consciously does not like people based on race - must be conscious – and who intentionally seeks to be mean to them. Individual/conscious/intent.

And if that is my definition of a racist then your suggestion that anything I’ve said or done is racist or has a racist impact I’m going to hear that as you’ve just said I was a bad person. You’ve just put me over there in that category. And most of my bias anyway is unconscious…
Last edited by Thommo on Oct 02, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#600  Postby Thommo » Oct 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:This may be my fault. I'm sorry I mentioned the Spice Girls. Things always blow up when I mention the Spice Girls. :shifty:
Thommo wrote:But what about this hybrid of the two? What about this accusation of "that specific event" was racist "that specific person" is being racist? How are we going to falsify that one, when intent doesn't matter, when being conscious of what's happening doesn't matter, where we're accusing an individual and there's no larger pattern to analyse?

Oh, you all watched the video? I didn't watch the video. In the Knight cartoon case, I think there was a larger pattern to analyse, but I couldn't be bothered expending the energy on a guy like that at the time. Anyway, the rant that follows isn't really aimed at you so much as using your quote here to explain what I think. I'm not going to speak very carefully because I probably won't get very involved in this whole thing. (That means no one should try to argue with me because I'm gonna be listening to music instead.)

But in regards to the epistemic concern in the hybrid case, I'll just say I don't think science (or the way we sometimes do falsifiability as a kind of analogue for it here) is much help because I don't know that it actually demarcates good answers from bad. I think even in a falsification account of science that there's a whole lot more going on. And I guess I doubt that people can practice this full-blown skepticism that they put on here more generally in life. Maybe the view is largely confected from what people brought to the theism discussions years ago here and elsewhere. I do think that as a community we've just never delivered a workable philosophy out of the version of empiricism in use here. But my ideas on this are old news.

I don't know how to resolve the competing racism claims here. I think you've got at least two different understandings of what racism is in these conversations at any one time. I don't just mean that people mix up the systemic/individual cases to create a hybrid, either. I suspect that even that way of parsing it is just one view opposing another. I think that even how accusations of racism behave and what norms they enact and all of that is complicated by the difference. Talk of white supremacy has exploded since Trump's presidency and common usage has absorbed parts of what black theory says about systems of domination and such. White supremacy on this understanding (to the extent that I can make it singular) isn't a view held by some members of the population that we have to locate and educate such people out of or defeat by numbers. It's a system or structure that we all participate in and that's constituted or constructed by the norms we enact around race and how we conceptualise it and so on and so forth. I think that's where some of the clash is.

I think that's all fair enough, my comments weren't much directed at the video either, I don't think I have a view on whether she's right or wrong or how that breaks down, and I certainly didn't express one.

What I was really referring to was this comparison with original sin. If I encapsulated it in a phrase I'd say that I reject the concept of original sin, and dismiss it as religious dogma because there's nothing I could say, no evidence I could bring that would convince my accuser otherwise.

Applying that criteria to these accusations against an individual of being racist, it seems virtually identical. If you need not be conscious, need not have intent, and need not exhibit a pattern of behaviour (and noting here that in the case of the cartoon a lot of the better posters actually did specifically refer to a wider pattern of behaviour of the cartoonist, which although I never entered the conversation or bothered to have a view, seems worth mentioning), then there's nothing the accused can ever say, no evidence they could provide to rebut the accusation. So if they draw the parallel, that seems justified.

Doubtless other people (as always) who aren't in the same boat, but think their situation superficially resembles the first will mimic (incorrectly) the justification.

But in summation: The Spice girls suck as much as they ever did.
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs