Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

When sexism accusations go too far

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#1  Postby aban57 » Sep 10, 2018 2:28 pm

From here :

Serena Williams has accused an umpire of sexism and treating her more harshly than men as she used a press conference to double down on her earlier on-court tirade at the official during her US Open final defeat to Japan’s Naomi Osaka.

Williams was cited by official Carlos Ramos for three code violations during her 6-2, 6-4 loss to the 20-year-old Osaka on Saturday: for getting coaching signals; for breaking her racket, which cost her a point; and for calling the chair umpire a thief, which cost her a game.

All 3 violations are undisputable. Accusing the ref of sexism is just dishonest.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Serena Williams accuses referee of sexism

#2  Postby laklak » Sep 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Has she played the race card yet?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » Sep 10, 2018 2:32 pm

laklak wrote:Has she played the race card yet?

Race card is so 2017.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Men play five sets. Women play three sets.

Make women play five sets. (Or men play three sets...)
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » Sep 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Yep, whether or not this incident was sexist, the world of pro tennis gets off on the wrong foot to start with. They should play the same number of sets as the men.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 10, 2018 3:38 pm

The reporting of this thing is bullshit. So many people saying that she was docked a game for "calling the referee a thief." She wasn't, she was docked a game after a third violation, after about 15 minutes of continuous ranting at the referee, basically accusing him of cheating and "stealing a point" from her, demanding an apology, threatening that he "will never referee one of my games again." I'm frankly amazed she wasn't sanctioned sooner. Yet people are reporting this like she was sanctioned for some isolated comment.

I'm also amazed she hasn't since come out an apologized, if nothing else, for ruining the first grand slam win of a young tennis player. I guess successful sports people aren't known for being good losers. But this is one of the worst examples of someone having a temper tantrum, essentially because they were getting soundly beat by an inferior opponent, that I've seen in a while.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Fallible » Sep 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Her complaint has also been upheld by the Tennis Association or whatever it's called, so I doubt she will apologise.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 10, 2018 3:48 pm

This is far and away the most entertaining thing that has happened in tennis, as a spectator sport, since "You cannot be serious!"

Talk about a repetitive game. Makes dishwater look like a flight of iridescent hummingbirds.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm

For those who find tennis too exciting there's always golf.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 10, 2018 3:57 pm

aban57 wrote:From here :

Serena Williams has accused an umpire of sexism and treating her more harshly than men as she used a press conference to double down on her earlier on-court tirade at the official during her US Open final defeat to Japan’s Naomi Osaka.

Williams was cited by official Carlos Ramos for three code violations during her 6-2, 6-4 loss to the 20-year-old Osaka on Saturday: for getting coaching signals; for breaking her racket, which cost her a point; and for calling the chair umpire a thief, which cost her a game.

All 3 violations are undisputable. Accusing the ref of sexism is just dishonest.

Her performance towards the judge was really rather nutty imo.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » Sep 10, 2018 3:58 pm

laklak wrote:Has she played the race card yet?

She hasn't but others have on her behalf.

Honestly, I think this is just people getting carried away after the Alizé Cornet incident, which clearly was a sexist double standard.
Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » Sep 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Her performance towards the judge was really rather nutty imo.

The paper today pointed out she has form for this sort of thing too, having previously threatened a line judge with having a ball stuffed down her throat (for making a correct call).
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm

I remember John McEnroe. You, madam, are no John McEnroe.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 4:01 pm

I haven't watched it, I'm not a tennis fan, but it seems there could be more to it than just Serena losing it.

Billie Jean King wrote:The cause and effect of this unsatisfactory sequence of events are pretty clear.
The cause was the inconsistent application of a rule — and the rule itself — that led to the warning that chair umpire Carlos Ramos gave to Williams for coaching coming from her player’s box: If tennis would catch up with the 21st century and allow coaching on every point, the situation on the court would never have escalated to the level of absurdity that it did. Every player, after all, still has to play the match — she has to execute on every point, and she should never be held responsible for the actions of a coach. Coaching happens all the time, at all levels of tennis. So why not just allow it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tennis/ ... spartanntp
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#15  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Fallible wrote:Her complaint has also been upheld by the Tennis Association or whatever it's called, so I doubt she will apologise.

Has it? I don't really know how tennis is organised, but while the Women's Tennis Association came out in her defence, she was also fined $17k for her behaviour, which doesn't suggest that her complaint has been upheld by anyone that matters. I've heard of lots of anecdotal evidence of male players engaging in similar behaviour without much actual statistical evidence that would suggest a gender discrepancy.

The BBC article on the topic gives the following info:

As I said, I don't really watch tennis that much, but I've never seen another player rant for that long before, and certainly not after 2 prior offences.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 4:10 pm

laklak wrote:I remember John McEnroe. You, madam, are no John McEnroe.

If you are ranking them on petulance you are right.

It's easy to find all-time rankings that put Serena ahead or on par with McEnroe and she has won more Grand Slam singles titles by a big margin.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#17  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Fallible wrote:Her complaint has also been upheld by the Tennis Association or whatever it's called, so I doubt she will apologise.

Has it? I don't really know how tennis is organised, but while the Women's Tennis Association came out in her defence, she was also fined $17k for her behaviour, which doesn't suggest that her complaint has been upheld by anyone that matters.

It is possible for her complaint to be justified or "upheld" and her broader onduct to be penalised. AIUI her core complaint is that she was penalised for something more harshly than a male player would be treated in a similar circumtance. She could be right about that but still be wrong in how she reacted to it.Various commentators have concluded just that.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#18  Postby Fallible » Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Has it? I don't really know how tennis is organised, but while the Women's Tennis Association came out in her defence, she was also fined $17k for her behaviour, which doesn't suggest that her complaint has been upheld by anyone that matters.

Ah, OK, perhaps that's what I heard then, that they'd come out in support of her. I stand corrected.

I've heard of lots of anecdotal evidence of male players engaging in similar behaviour without much actual statistical evidence that would suggest a gender discrepancy.

As I said, I don't really watch tennis that much, but I've never seen another player rant for that long before, and certainly not after 2 prior offences.

I haven't seen the whole incident, but what I did see certainly was rather OTT.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 4:24 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Has it? I don't really know how tennis is organised, but while the Women's Tennis Association came out in her defence, she was also fined $17k for her behaviour, which doesn't suggest that her complaint has been upheld by anyone that matters. I've heard of lots of anecdotal evidence of male players engaging in similar behaviour without much actual statistical evidence that would suggest a gender discrepancy.

That is an interesting graphic that article tends to support William's contention. But we would need to know how many code violations actually occurred as well as how they were dealt with establish if the coaching penalty was fair or not.
Last edited by GrahamH on Sep 10, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#20  Postby GrahamH » Sep 10, 2018 4:28 pm

This article offesr some different numbers that contradict Williams' initial complaint.

As for the notion, raised by many from both inside and outside the world of professional tennis, that Williams was singled out because she’s a woman: Earlier this year, Ramos penalized both Novak Djokovic and Marco Cecchinato for coaching—and the stats from this particular installment of the U.S. Open, at least, don’t support this argument either: Of the 32 code violations called, 23 of them were charged to men and only nine to women.

https://www.vogue.com/article/serena-wi ... aomi-osaka
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs