Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

By a shirt

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

#1  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Rosetta mission scientist cracks sex jokes while wearing a shirt covered in scantily clad women

And then the universe exploded in a shirtstorm of commentary and disgust.

During the webcast, numerous old, white guys spoke of ambition, collaboration, courage, and hope for the future; but no one had the bravery to stop one man from making a fool of himself, embarrassing their organization in their moment of triumph, and signalling that the field of robotic space exploration is not ready to treat women with respect and dignity.

http://thefinchandpea.com/2014/11/13/no ... to-school/

What a berk. But I suppose we can forgive him because he's a scientist, probably lives in his lab, and quite possibly has no clue what the current social climate is like, how huge the backlash against feminism has become, and how women and girls still struggle to be taken seriously in STEM.

Edit: I see he has issued an apology.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Re: Shadow cast over the success of the Rosetta Mission

#2  Postby Sendraks » Nov 14, 2014 1:55 pm

I'd get in all kinds of trouble for wearing a shirt like that for work. Hell, I would certainly receive some sort of formal reprimand.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Nov 15, 2014 7:33 am

Sad to see this kind of thing happen, very glad to hear that the guy apologized for it.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby igorfrankensteen » Nov 15, 2014 7:46 am

Actually, this "shirtstorm" is all part of the normal process by which a society self-adjusts it's membership. Nothing to get upset about. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say, that the current level of upset is on course, and performing the required adjustments, so we needn't push it along, or impede it. Just observe and nod.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Pulsar » Nov 15, 2014 8:20 am

You know what, if this is what feminism has become, then I'm more than happy to call myself an anti-feminist. It used to be a positive movement for equal rights and opportunities for women. But, at least in North America, it has turned into a fundamentalist hate movement. It's a disease.

Jesus fuck, lynching a guy and ruining the best moment of his life, all because of what he wears. What a sad fucking bunch of losers.

Thank goodness I've seen countless reactions of people who haven't lost their sanity, and are just as bewildered and appalled at this moronic shitstorm as I am: https://twitter.com/hashtag/shirtgate?f=realtime

I'll just leave this here:

Oh, and by the way, that shirt was made by his friend's WIFE. She's an artist called Elly Prizeman. It was a gift for his birthday!!

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Rumraket » Nov 15, 2014 9:17 am

I could not give any less of a shit about this man's shirt, and the people who have a problem with it are pathetic losers with nothing to do with their lives. OMG A SCANITLY CLAD CARTOON WOMAN OMG OMG OMG WOMYN WILL HATE SCIENZ NAO.

That he was made to apologize for wearing it is sick. :yuk:

Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#7  Postby Rumraket » Nov 15, 2014 9:18 am

Pulsar wrote:You know what, if this is what feminism has become, then I'm more than happy to call myself an anti-feminist. It used to be a positive movement for equal rights and opportunities for women. But, at least in North America, it has turned into a fundamentalist hate movement. It's a disease.

Jesus fuck, lynching a guy and ruining the best moment of his life, all because of what he wears. What a sad fucking bunch of losers.

Thank goodness I've seen countless reactions of people who haven't lost their sanity, and are just as bewildered and appalled at this moronic shitstorm as I am: https://twitter.com/hashtag/shirtgate?f=realtime

I'll just leave this here:

Oh, and by the way, that shirt was made by his friend's WIFE. She's an artist called Elly Prizeman. It was a gift for his birthday!!

:this:
Rumraket

Print view this post

#8  Postby Rumraket » Nov 15, 2014 9:20 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:Rosetta mission scientist cracks sex jokes while wearing a shirt covered in scantily clad women

During the webcast, numerous old, white guys spoke of ambition, collaboration, courage, and hope for the future; but no one had the bravery to stop one man from making a fool of himself, embarrassing their organization in their moment of triumph, and signalling that the field of robotic space exploration is not ready to treat women with respect and dignity.

What a berk. But I suppose we can forgive him because he's a scientist, probably lives in his lab, and quite possibly has no clue what the current social climate is like, how huge the backlash against feminism has become, and how women and girls still struggle to be taken seriously in STEM.

And you think him wearing that particular shirt contributes to that? Get out more.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#9  Postby VazScep » Nov 15, 2014 9:29 am

Pulsar wrote:You know what, if this is what feminism has become, then I'm more than happy to call myself an anti-feminist. It used to be a positive movement for equal rights and opportunities for women. But, at least in North America, it has turned into a fundamentalist hate movement. It's a disease.
If this guy is wearing that shirt for the public presentation and making jokes about the project being a sexy girl who isn't "easy", then I can only imagine what sort of boy's club his team is running when the camera is not on them.

I get pissed off with guys like this, and I get massively pissed off with them in my own department. With all the efforts being put in to encourage females to take computer science and participate in computer science research, every time you get some loud twat on the mailing list asking if everyone would like to go out to the square to check out the hot girls, I literally face-palm.

These guys are prats.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rumraket » Nov 15, 2014 9:40 am

VazScep wrote:
If this guy is wearing that shirt for the public presentation and making jokes about the project being a sexy girl who isn't "easy", then I can only imagine what sort of boy's club his team is running when the camera is not on them.

That's nice, now he's taking flak for what can be imagined.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#11  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 15, 2014 10:14 am

If a woman was dressed in a way that the drawings on that shirt are and a male in a position of some sort of power, no matter how little, said that she shouldn't dress that way in public you'd be neck deep in third wave feminists marching down the street in an anti slut shaming march before you could blink but heaven forbid a woman design a shirt and give it to a man and then he raperesses women everywhere by wearing it, the misogynist prick.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 15, 2014 10:33 am

Oh, will you just look at all the outrage at the outrage. Just goes to show how many people still need to get a clue.

Rumraket wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:Rosetta mission scientist cracks sex jokes while wearing a shirt covered in scantily clad women

And you think him wearing that particular shirt contributes to that? Get out more.

Get out more? Why? How would that help?

You think his wearing that shirt on that particular occasion was a good move?
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#13  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 15, 2014 10:34 am

You're being hysterical again, DD.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby VazScep » Nov 15, 2014 10:38 am

Rumraket wrote:That's nice, now he's taking flak for what can be imagined.
More like inferred. If the guy is saying this shit publicly, what goes on in private? That's me applying a heuristic, not simply imagining.

The bigger concern is that such a person is an ambassador for his subject to the general public, and if he gives the impression that it's a bro-thang, then he's doing a shit job, at least in as much as some of us want to encourage diversity in the sciences.
Last edited by VazScep on Nov 15, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby BlackBart » Nov 15, 2014 10:42 am

I have a Coop Devil girl T-shirt ( A gift from my wife! ) It would never occur to me to wear it to work let alone whilst being a public spokesman for them. There's a time and a place - this wasn't it.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 15, 2014 10:50 am

Pulsar wrote:

Wait, what? Someone is trying to compare a scientist talking about one of the greatest achievements in space science whilst wearing a shirt covered in near-naked women with a woman on a beach wearing one of those stupid (my own opinion) 'ironic misandry' t-shirts?

Couldn't they find a picture of a woman wearing one of those while talking about a momentous breakthrough in the field of - oh, I don't know - let's say science, or medicine, or brain surgery, instead?

That would have far more impact.

Or are they trying to say that he was being ironic?
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#17  Postby Pulsar » Nov 15, 2014 10:51 am

VazScep wrote:If this guy is wearing that shirt for the public presentation and making jokes about the project being a sexy girl who isn't "easy", then I can only imagine what sort of boy's club his team is running when the camera is not on them.

This just gets better and better. Did you just insult the entire Rosetta Team??? What the fuck, dude.

Yeah, look at him. What a misogynistic prick, eh? I bet he beats his kids too.

VazScep wrote:These guys are prats.

These men and women have achieved more than you ever will, random internet person.

Any psycho-analysis on the woman who designed and gave him the shirt, or doesn't she fit into your little narrative?
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 15, 2014 10:55 am

When exactly did third wave feminists change the definition of "misogynist" to mean, "Someone who thinks women are attractive."
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 15, 2014 10:57 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:You're being hysterical again, DD.

That I am, Rachel, that I am.

And I'll probably continue to be so until far more of the opposite sex can demonstrate that the penny has dropped, that they finally have got a clue.

I was only thinking the other day (after a conversation on here with one who clearly has) that it is heartening to see how many of the mostly male membership on here are sensible of the issues that women still face, but obviously there's still a way to go.

:cheers:
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#20  Postby VazScep » Nov 15, 2014 10:58 am

Pulsar wrote:This just gets better and better. Did you just insult the entire Rosetta Team??? What the fuck, dude.
Yes. This shit is systemic.

These men and women have achieved more than you ever will, random internet person.
So has Tom Cruise, and he's a total dickhead.

Any psycho-analysis on the woman who designed and gave him the shirt, or doesn't she fit into your little narrative?
Did she ask him to wear it to the media event? In which case, yeah, she's a prat too.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs