‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

An Exclusive Interview With Bernie Sanders

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#21  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 20, 2017 4:19 am

Willie71 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:
‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’: An Exclusive Interview With Bernie Sanders on His ‘Medicare for All’ Plan

Bernie Sanders has for decades argued that the United States must establish a single-payer health-care system that provides the guarantee of care for all while controlling costs—what he calls a “Medicare for All” structure. So it came as no surprise that the senator from Vermont made single payer central to his 2016 presidential bid. What is striking, Now that the campaign has finished, however, what is striking is the burgeoning interest on the part of prominent Democrats in a reform that was once considered “too bold.” As Sanders prepared to introduce a detailed “Medicare for All” bill on Wednesday, Democratic senators from across the country and from across the ideological spectrum—including Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Kamala Harris of California, Cory Booker of New Jersey, and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York—announced that they would be signing on as cosponsors. Unions such as National Nurses United were declaring their enthusiastic support for the measure. Congressman John Conyers, D-Michigan, was cheering on his longtime ally’s Senate proposal, while celebrating a surge in support for his own single-payer legislation in the House. And media coverage, while still too dismissive of real reform and too obsessed with disputes over the direction of the Democratic Party, afforded the plan dramatically more attention than previous efforts.





The Nation sat down with Sanders in his Capitol Hill office as he was preparing his legislation and asked him to explain why single payer is suddenly being embraced by top Democrats, and why so many Americans are expressing interest in going big when it comes to issues of health-care access and affordability.

The Nation: Why do you think single payer is gaining so much traction at this point? Your campaign certainly increased interest in the movement for a “Medicare for All” reform. But there’s more to it than that, isn’t there?

Bernie Sanders: I think its a combination of factors. Number one, obviously, we have had this Republican effort to destroy the Affordable Care Act. It gives people a sense of what is at stake when we make decisions about health care. I think that many people, even now, do not appreciate the impact that [repealing the ACA] would have on the country.

https://www.thenation.com/article/singl ... -all-plan/


BTW - 80% of democarats are in favour of single payer and 60% of the country overall. Remember that Clinton campaigned on never having a single payer system - winning strategy right there. Pelosi is also against it as well as Schumer. Somehow these people are still leaders.


You are shown that your 60% claim is wrong in one thread yet you just move on to make a whole thread about your erroneous claim.

From the article that Skymutt cited and quoted.

Kaiser's tracking poll in July found 53 percent in favor of having all Americans get their health insurance from the government; 43 percent were against that. Opposition climbed to 60 percent when people were asked to consider that such a plan would call for higher taxes for many. A slight majority also swung against a single-payer plan when respondents were told that former President Barack Obama's health care law would be replaced as a result....

—In his Times article, Sanders cited an Economist/YouGov poll in April that found a clear preference for expanding Medicare to provide health insurance to all — 60-23. The survey did not address the cost or tax implications of taking that course. That survey was conducted using an opt-in online panel recruited with internet advertising, a methodology criticized by some because of concerns that it does not reach a random sample of Americans....

—The Pew Research Center in June found 60 percent who believe the federal government is responsible for ensuring health care coverage for all Americans, with 39 percent disagreeing. That supports Sanders' contention that people want health care as a right. But ensuring coverage is not the same as paying for it. Support for a single-payer system registered at only 33 percent in that poll. Many of those who felt the government has a responsibility for making sure people have coverage instead supported a mix of public and private programs.


And you are ignoring how misinformed Americans are on what single payer is or is not, skewing poll results.


And, you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "La La La". The fact is that the more people learn about Bernie's plan and how it would be funded the less they are in favor of it. Support for single payer plans like Bernie's, after the public is fully informed, drops to 33%.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7230
Age: 60
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#22  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 20, 2017 4:30 am

Teague wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:

BTW - 80% of democarats are in favour of single payer and 60% of the country overall. Remember that Clinton campaigned on never having a single payer system - winning strategy right there. Pelosi is also against it as well as Schumer. Somehow these people are still leaders.


You are shown that your 60% claim is wrong in one thread yet you just move on to make a whole thread about your erroneous claim.

From the article that Skymutt cited and quoted.

Kaiser's tracking poll in July found 53 percent in favor of having all Americans get their health insurance from the government; 43 percent were against that. Opposition climbed to 60 percent when people were asked to consider that such a plan would call for higher taxes for many. A slight majority also swung against a single-payer plan when respondents were told that former President Barack Obama's health care law would be replaced as a result....

—In his Times article, Sanders cited an Economist/YouGov poll in April that found a clear preference for expanding Medicare to provide health insurance to all — 60-23. The survey did not address the cost or tax implications of taking that course. That survey was conducted using an opt-in online panel recruited with internet advertising, a methodology criticized by some because of concerns that it does not reach a random sample of Americans....

—The Pew Research Center in June found 60 percent who believe the federal government is responsible for ensuring health care coverage for all Americans, with 39 percent disagreeing. That supports Sanders' contention that people want health care as a right. But ensuring coverage is not the same as paying for it. Support for a single-payer system registered at only 33 percent in that poll. Many of those who felt the government has a responsibility for making sure people have coverage instead supported a mix of public and private programs.


And you are ignoring how misinformed Americans are on what single payer is or is not, skewing poll results. 60% of Americans believe the government should ensure health care, yet some if them don't think single payer means that. Sure there are different ways to get the job done, but people are against death panels, the government picking your doctor, and lack of access, which some Americans believe is single payer.


As per usual the uniformed OS provides shoddy data.


That data was from Skymutt. I simply observed that after being shot down by Skymutt and his data you went and started a thread pretending that Skymutt and his data hadn't shot your assertion down.

Teague wrote:He's only done this a few thousand times before...


Done what? Posted relevant accurate information only to have you attack me personally instead of addressing the information?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 7230
Age: 60
Male

Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#23  Postby OlivierK » Sep 20, 2017 4:53 am

Sure, support drops when you include the scare that taxes would have to rise. There are two problems with this: there's no corresponding mention of private premiums dropping to zero, and secondly, it's unfounded. Many countries, including Australia, fund a universal system for less per capita than US public spending on health.
Last edited by OlivierK on Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 7444
Age: 51
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#24  Postby Willie71 » Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Willie71 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:

BTW - 80% of democarats are in favour of single payer and 60% of the country overall. Remember that Clinton campaigned on never having a single payer system - winning strategy right there. Pelosi is also against it as well as Schumer. Somehow these people are still leaders.


You are shown that your 60% claim is wrong in one thread yet you just move on to make a whole thread about your erroneous claim.

From the article that Skymutt cited and quoted.

Kaiser's tracking poll in July found 53 percent in favor of having all Americans get their health insurance from the government; 43 percent were against that. Opposition climbed to 60 percent when people were asked to consider that such a plan would call for higher taxes for many. A slight majority also swung against a single-payer plan when respondents were told that former President Barack Obama's health care law would be replaced as a result....

—In his Times article, Sanders cited an Economist/YouGov poll in April that found a clear preference for expanding Medicare to provide health insurance to all — 60-23. The survey did not address the cost or tax implications of taking that course. That survey was conducted using an opt-in online panel recruited with internet advertising, a methodology criticized by some because of concerns that it does not reach a random sample of Americans....

—The Pew Research Center in June found 60 percent who believe the federal government is responsible for ensuring health care coverage for all Americans, with 39 percent disagreeing. That supports Sanders' contention that people want health care as a right. But ensuring coverage is not the same as paying for it. Support for a single-payer system registered at only 33 percent in that poll. Many of those who felt the government has a responsibility for making sure people have coverage instead supported a mix of public and private programs.


And you are ignoring how misinformed Americans are on what single payer is or is not, skewing poll results.


And, you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "La La La". The fact is that the more people learn about Bernie's plan and how it would be funded the less they are in favor of it. Support for single payer plans like Bernie's, after the public is fully informed, drops to 33%.


No, after people are misinformed against the cost being an additional 30 trillion, thry balk, but it's 15 trillion cheaper than what they would pay for the current system. You keep proving my point about Americans being misinformed.
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
User avatar
Willie71
 
Name: Warren Krywko
Posts: 2926
Age: 46
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#25  Postby willhud9 » Sep 20, 2017 2:01 pm

OlivierK wrote:Sure, support drops when you the scare that taxes would have to rise. There are two problems with this: there's no corresponding mention of private premiums dropping to zero, and secondly, it's unfounded. Many countries, including Australia, fund a universal system for less per capita than US public spending on health.


It's not a scare though. It's a legit concern. Many people are still choosing to take the penalty for not having health insurance rather than pay for health insurance. That extra $200-300 a month goes a long way. Now those same middle class people who work 40+ hour shifts for around $15-17 USD are now faced with the possibility that they will have to pay that additional $200-300 a month but via taxes instead. They don't want it.

The appeal to community and betterment of society falls flat to many people here. Legislators have to think selfishly and that includes realizing that tax increases are not quite popular. Regardless of the necessity of them.

But there are other issues that would need to be addressed of equal importance. Middle class workers making 35,000-45,000 a year are by and by wary of attempts to raise the min wage to their income bracket with no talk of increasing their wage. E.g. An entry level plumber (a skilled profession and craft) makes roughly $35,000-$40,000 on average. A paramedic makes between $36-46k. Etc.

Relevance? These are the income brackets that are choosing to opt out of ACA. For me this year it is cheaper to pay the penalty on my tax return than pay for the ridiculous healthcare price through my employer. So many middle class workers are not too keen on experiencing a tax increase in which we have no control over.

Now I am all for single-payer it works and makes sense, but just because people are against it doesn't mean they are misinformed about it. They don't want to pay higher taxes. You can say, "well you'll save money on health insurance." But many of them will turn around and say, "I choose not to sign up for a healthcare plan, why do I care?"

In order to gain popularity those advocating single-payer need to find a way to make the tax increase appealing or seem fair across the board. My taxes would have gone up estimatedly $250-350 according to Sander's plan. I was not supportive of that.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 17858
Age: 26
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#26  Postby Sendraks » Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:And, you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "La La La". The fact is that the more people learn about Bernie's plan and how it would be funded the less they are in favor of it. Support for single payer plans like Bernie's, after the public is fully informed, drops to 33%.


No, you've no evidence to support that, because you've no evidence of the understanding of the people responding to the survey. You don't know if the % went down to 33% because people didn't understand and were just scared, or did understand and decided it was not for them or didn't understand and decided it was all a bit hard. Furthermore you don't know if the people who did understand and changed their minds, were doing so on the basis of a fair and accurate presentation of how single payer funding would work and the implications for them.

But, then, no one else in this discussion has that understanding either.

The only thing to be certain about is that 100% of people surveyed probably misunderstood something about single payer, simply because there is no way to validate if everyone surveyed had the same understanding of what they were told or that such understanding would effect how they responded.

For all we know, the 33% who supported single payer had no understanding of the additional details and would support single payer regardless of what they were told, even if the details involved castration and the confiscation of their first born.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 13643
Age: 101
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#27  Postby willhud9 » Sep 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Well reasoned Sendraks! :cheers:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 17858
Age: 26
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#28  Postby proudfootz » Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm glad to see some Democrats are now saying "I'm With Bernie!"

Image


Bernie Sanders bill expands
Bernie Sanders champions single-pay health-care with 'Medicare for All' speech
4:43 PM ET Wed, 13 Sept 2017 | 01:39

Sen. Bernie Sanders unveiled his single-payer health-care proposal, "Medicare for All," on Wednesday, to a packed room of supporters on Capitol Hill.

The bill already has 16 Democratic co-sponsors, a number that would have been unimaginable just a year ago. The independent senator from Vermont also released a white paper on how the government might finance such a health-care system, which included an income-based tax increase, an expansion of the estate tax, and a new tax on incomes of the 0.1 percent of Americans.

"Today, we begin the long and difficult struggle to end the international disgrace" of U.S. health-care costs, Sanders said, emphasizing that Americans pay more in health-care costs than any other developed nation, nearly 18 percent of U.S. GDP. "The American people want to know what we're going to do to fix a dysfunctional health-care system."

Under a Medicare for All plan, "depending on your income, your taxes may go up," Sander said, "but this will be more than offset" by overall household savings on health-care costs, premiums and copays.

The senator also stressed that a government-managed plan would simplify the financial affairs of both individuals and small- and medium-sized companies. "You will no longer be writing checks to private insurance companies," he said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/13/bernie- ... nsors.html


The fact is that the predatory health insurance system is a clear and present danger, and if voters can ever figure out that paying half what they do now for better results we will have a single payer system like every civilized nation on the planet.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 10027

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#29  Postby Sendraks » Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm

proudfootz wrote:The fact is that the predatory health insurance system is a clear and present danger, and if voters can ever figure out that paying half what they do now for better results we will have a single payer system like every civilized nation on the planet.


Agreed.
There is zero evidence that a competitive health market deliver's better outcomes for patients, outside of those who can afford to pay for the very best care. The US healthcare system is grossly inefficient compared to single payer models elsewhere.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 13643
Age: 101
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#30  Postby Willie71 » Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm

The media obfuscating the issue to an underinformed population is the issue. If every news channel showed the cost savings, increased quality of care, and improved outcomes across multiple domains, the only argument against single payer is the slippery road to socialism, which is a pretty lousy argument. If people realized they would be financially ahead AND with better care, what 's left?
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
User avatar
Willie71
 
Name: Warren Krywko
Posts: 2926
Age: 46
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#31  Postby Sendraks » Sep 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Willie71 wrote: If every news channel showed the cost savings, increased quality of care, and improved outcomes across multiple domains, the only argument against single payer is the slippery road to socialism, which is a pretty lousy argument.


It's a lousy argument because people's understanding of "socialism" is just as lousy as that of single payer models.

And even that isn't the problem in and of itself. You can say people aren't "informed" but, that can just be easily as read as "they aren't informed the way that I want them to be informed." So "understanding" and "being informed" don't really move anything forward.

If our systems of education focused on teaching critical thinking skills (which some republicans are opposed to) and applying those skills to process facts and data to reach their own conclusions well, I can't really say how that would work out. All I do know is that rote subject learning and the teaching the blind acceptance of ideologies, doesn't fucking work and has got us into the mess we are in today.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 13643
Age: 101
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#32  Postby proudfootz » Sep 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Trump opposes healthcare for all Americans - another very good reason we should have it!

Donald Trump has heard about Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) “Medicare for All” plan, and he turned to Twitter yesterday to assure Americans the progressive proposal isn’t going anywhere.

“Bernie Sanders is pushing hard for a single payer healthcare plan - a curse on the U.S. & its people. I told Republicans to approve healthcare fast or this would happen. But don’t worry, I will veto because I love our country & its people.”


http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... against-it


There will always be that hard core of folks who go along with this kind of shallow 'thinking'. The trick will be to reason past their loud bellowing and blustering. Sadly, as lot of the opposition to a sane system is indeed given free rein in our corporate media.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 10027

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#33  Postby Willie71 » Sep 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Willie71 wrote: If every news channel showed the cost savings, increased quality of care, and improved outcomes across multiple domains, the only argument against single payer is the slippery road to socialism, which is a pretty lousy argument.


It's a lousy argument because people's understanding of "socialism" is just as lousy as that of single payer models.

And even that isn't the problem in and of itself. You can say people aren't "informed" but, that can just be easily as read as "they aren't informed the way that I want them to be informed." So "understanding" and "being informed" don't really move anything forward.

If our systems of education focused on teaching critical thinking skills (which some republicans are opposed to) and applying those skills to process facts and data to reach their own conclusions well, I can't really say how that would work out. All I do know is that rote subject learning and the teaching the blind acceptance of ideologies, doesn't fucking work and has got us into the mess we are in today.


I agree with you, and by informed, I mean differentiating what's factual from what's rhetorical. This has always been a confusing issue to me, how there can be "political or ideological realities" that are considered valid when they are flat out wrong. How can one avoid the cognitive dissonance looking at data that shows that Americans pay more for health care than pretty much any of the developed nations, have below average outcomes, yet "know" that single payer is unaffordable and inferior? Isn't there an objective reality that highest costs and below average outcomes really isn't the best in the world?
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
User avatar
Willie71
 
Name: Warren Krywko
Posts: 2926
Age: 46
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#34  Postby OlivierK » Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:
OlivierK wrote:Sure, support drops when you the scare that taxes would have to rise. There are two problems with this: there's no corresponding mention of private premiums dropping to zero, and secondly, it's unfounded. Many countries, including Australia, fund a universal system for less per capita than US public spending on health.


It's not a scare though. It's a legit concern.

I take the rest of the points in your post as legitimate, but it's still a skewed question if an element of the system that would lead to a total cost drop for most people isn't mentioned.

The poll question that showed a lower support for single payer included asking people if they still supported it knowing it was more expensive. But single payer systems aren't more expensive. There's around a hundred single payer systems in operation around the world, and exactly none of them are more expensive than the US system, which is, famously, by far the most expensive health system in the world.

I come from a country with universal health coverage and taxes marginally lower than the US. If you took a survey here about whether we wanted to change to your system that included the costs of doing so, support would be close to zero.
Last edited by OlivierK on Sep 20, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 7444
Age: 51
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#35  Postby Macdoc » Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm

ditto...tho Australian corp taxes are higher in the US and lower in Canada than either.
Australia coves a bit more ( glasses ) and there even dental clinics for free but wait times are longer.

Canada ( Ontario at least as each province has minor variations on single payer ) has no dental but I think somewhat better drug coverage recently.
All systems singe payer - you can purchase additional coverage in either country from private insurers.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 11468
Age: 70
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#36  Postby OlivierK » Sep 20, 2017 8:47 pm

proudfootz wrote:Trump opposes healthcare for all Americans - another very good reason we should have it!

Donald Trump has heard about Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) “Medicare for All” plan, and he turned to Twitter yesterday to assure Americans the progressive proposal isn’t going anywhere.

“Bernie Sanders is pushing hard for a single payer healthcare plan - a curse on the U.S. & its people. I told Republicans to approve healthcare fast or this would happen. But don’t worry, I will veto because I love our country & its people.”


http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... against-it


Bernie's proposal would result in a system very similar to Australia's.

Trump has publicly described Australia as having a better healthcare system than America's.

But he'd veto a change to an Australian kind of health system.

What a cunt.
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 7444
Age: 51
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#37  Postby Rumraket » Sep 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Sendraks wrote:
proudfootz wrote:The fact is that the predatory health insurance system is a clear and present danger, and if voters can ever figure out that paying half what they do now for better results we will have a single payer system like every civilized nation on the planet.


Agreed.
There is zero evidence that a competitive health market deliver's better outcomes for patients, outside of those who can afford to pay for the very best care. The US healthcare system is grossly inefficient compared to single payer models elsewhere.

Yes what bugs me is when the private health-insurance-system advocates cite cancer survival rates for well-insured americans, with overall cancer survival rates in countries with universal tax-funded healthcare. They don't count the cancer survival rates of the people who can't afford private health insurance. It's grotesquely dishonest.

Oh look, the people who can afford the best care have better survival rates? Really? What about all the people who die because they can't afford treatment? Oh well who cares about them, they have no money because they're lazy bums and should just get a job. As long as nobody tries to tax me, fuck everyone else. USA USA USA USA USA USA. :yuk:
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 12596
Age: 36
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#38  Postby Willie71 » Sep 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
proudfootz wrote:The fact is that the predatory health insurance system is a clear and present danger, and if voters can ever figure out that paying half what they do now for better results we will have a single payer system like every civilized nation on the planet.


Agreed.
There is zero evidence that a competitive health market deliver's better outcomes for patients, outside of those who can afford to pay for the very best care. The US healthcare system is grossly inefficient compared to single payer models elsewhere.

Yes what bugs me is when the private health-insurance-system advocates cite cancer survival rates for well-insured americans, with overall cancer survival rates in countries with universal tax-funded healthcare. They don't count the cancer survival rates of the people who can't afford private health insurance. It's grotesquely dishonest.

Oh look, the people who can afford the best care have better survival rates? Really? What about all the people who die because they can't afford treatment? Oh well who cares about them, they have no money because they're lazy bums and should just get a job. As long as nobody tries to tax me, fuck everyone else. USA USA USA USA USA USA. :yuk:


No doubt they compare to single payer like we have in Alberta after conservatives picked the system to the bone, we have fewer hospital beds now than in 1991, and out population has grown a lot since then. We have a very high number of highly paid managers and advisors, while front line workers get budget pens, endure hiring freezes, understaffing, and are nearly forced to provide unethical practises. Single payer isn't the issue. It's mismanagement. We are experiencing massive staffing shortages because of poor working conditions. On the flip side, I was notified last week that my scope of practise is being re-negotiated due to a shortage of psychiatrists so I will be able to prescribe schedule 1 drugs, order labs, and perform ultrasounds. This should remove some bottlenecks in the system.
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
User avatar
Willie71
 
Name: Warren Krywko
Posts: 2926
Age: 46
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#39  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Willie71 wrote:Single payer isn't the issue. It's mismanagement.

I think there are definitely a lot of people who would otherwise be pro single payer who are knocked off by this. You don't have to look far to see mismanagement in our government, and even less far to see programs stripped to the bone by conservatives who then crow about how they don't work. I'm glad there's more support for single payer now than ever before, but this will be a gigantic hurdle even if it somehow gets passed in the first place.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 10513
Age: 37
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#40  Postby willhud9 » Sep 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Willie71 wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
Willie71 wrote: If every news channel showed the cost savings, increased quality of care, and improved outcomes across multiple domains, the only argument against single payer is the slippery road to socialism, which is a pretty lousy argument.


It's a lousy argument because people's understanding of "socialism" is just as lousy as that of single payer models.

And even that isn't the problem in and of itself. You can say people aren't "informed" but, that can just be easily as read as "they aren't informed the way that I want them to be informed." So "understanding" and "being informed" don't really move anything forward.

If our systems of education focused on teaching critical thinking skills (which some republicans are opposed to) and applying those skills to process facts and data to reach their own conclusions well, I can't really say how that would work out. All I do know is that rote subject learning and the teaching the blind acceptance of ideologies, doesn't fucking work and has got us into the mess we are in today.


I agree with you, and by informed, I mean differentiating what's factual from what's rhetorical. This has always been a confusing issue to me, how there can be "political or ideological realities" that are considered valid when they are flat out wrong. How can one avoid the cognitive dissonance looking at data that shows that Americans pay more for health care than pretty much any of the developed nations, have below average outcomes, yet "know" that single payer is unaffordable and inferior? Isn't there an objective reality that highest costs and below average outcomes really isn't the best in the world?


First of all, stop flinging around the term cognitive dissonance.

Second of all, you have erected a strawman. Those polled who say the government should do more to ensure coverage for all Americans CLEARLY are not satisfied with current healthcare premiums and current healthcare situations.

You seem to be under the impression that it is either the current system or single-payer and that is simply not true. Healthcare is a complicated mess of an issue and several things can happen that could drastically reduce healthcare premiums and make healthcare affordable.

For example, the government could pass a law regulating how much an insurance company can charge, or reform how much a hospital bill would cost. A lot of the high costs in hospitals is due to insurance companies wanting discounts from the hospitals and so to compensate the hospitals raise their costs. Remove those stipulations. That is government regulation busting up corporate greed, but at the same time freeing up the healthcare market. Healthcare costs would decrease and become affordable via that means especially if combined with the a cap in premiums, etc. And the cost to the tax payer would be negligible because it is still the insurance companies footing the bill, albeit with more regulation than they have now.

The other issue is in a single-payer system you have one organization which foots the cost. The biggest issue many people here see with that is the failure of the VA medical system to insure military veterans received proper and affordable treatment and the notable problems with medicaid. The US government is a terrible bureaucracy which needs to be cleaned up. The American people tend to distrust big government efforts because the government tends to harm the people more than people realize.

My mother is frightened about a single-payer system because through the negligence and long fucking wait times of the VA hospital system my father never received his pacemaker and died of a subsequent heart attack. Anecdote yes, but one that hits quite close to home. Can we trust our government to run our healthcare costs efficiently? I would say at the moment no.

There is a mantra in the military when dealing with the bureaucracy and that is "hurry up and wait." Imagine going to the doctor to get a simple physical, but the doctor cannot administer the exam before he has assurance that the government will cover the cost. And what stops the government from doing what current insurance companies do already i.e. refusing to pay for certain portions of a treatment? "Oh that person is dying from cancer? Well we will cover 1/3 the cost and they can cover the rest."

Single-payer is not a magical solution and all it means is that one party pays for the cost of healthcare. It does not mean UHC, it does not prevent the government from acting shady or creating poor regulatory decisions. This is not me downtalking singlepayer. I am all for singlepayer. But I am shaming my government and its ineffectiveness. I do not trust my government.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 17858
Age: 26
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests