‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

An Exclusive Interview With Bernie Sanders

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ‘Single Payer Is a Rational Health-Care System’:

#281  Postby willhud9 » Oct 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Ronald Reagan was popular too. Was he an effective politician?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#282  Postby Macdoc » Oct 29, 2017 4:19 pm

He was an effective politician ....the goal of which is to get re-elected.....was he good at governance and moving the common weal of the citizens forward ....no.

It is rare that a good politician is also good at governing.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#283  Postby felltoearth » Oct 29, 2017 4:21 pm

I would say that Hillary is the best politician money can buy.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#284  Postby Willie71 » Oct 29, 2017 6:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:Ronald Reagan was popular too. Was he an effective politician?

There are many reasons for popularity, one of which is beating the other guy, something clinton couldn’t do. Popularity comes from presenting motivation to effect policy that benefits people. We see that about 35-40% of Americans want what trump is doing, and 60+% want what Sanders is offering. Seems like a rational choice to try to beat trump.

Can those policies be enacted! Trumps violate the constitution, so there are limits. Sanders’ don’t, but they will be opposed by moneyed interests. That problem has to be fixed, or at least better managed before populist positions can be implemented. No one disagrees with that. The system is fucked.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#285  Postby Willie71 » Oct 29, 2017 6:36 pm

felltoearth wrote:I would say that Hillary is the best politician money can buy.

Obama was better. He could at least win an election. Clinton was a money pit for the wealthy.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#286  Postby Macdoc » Oct 29, 2017 7:02 pm

Yup - he both was good pol and governed well under very adverse circumstances thanks the the repuglies.

Clinton another one....

Hilary was not a very good pol....might have governed okay .,,,,,

Eisenhower was terrific even tho he hated politics....so did Washington.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#287  Postby willhud9 » Oct 30, 2017 12:29 am

Macdoc wrote:Yup - he both was good pol and governed well under very adverse circumstances thanks the the repuglies.

Clinton another one....

Hilary was not a very good pol....might have governed okay .,,,,,

Eisenhower was terrific even tho he hated politics....so did Washington.

You have tinted glasses on.
From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty.... In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war.

~Eisenhower.

Eisenhower was a fiscal conservative who disliked spending government money, despite his insistence that he was a progressive his track record says otherwise aside from not repealing New Deal policies. He was slow to act on the tension of the civil rights and black veterans who fought under his army were left high and dry with no substantial rights and he turned a blind eye to the plights of them and other black people. While he finally took action later in his presidency, his hesitance to act in the 50's set back a lot of civil rights that could have been more prominent had Eisenhower had the actual balls to do anything.

Furthermore, he allowed McCarthyism to run rampant. As President he has the voice of the country essentially and he let McCarthy make unfounded accusations and scare tactics and never once denouced him.

There was a lot wrong with Eisenhower. He wasn't this amazing president who made the country awesome. Under his presidency the "golden years" of having the working husband, stay-at-home wife, a brand new car, living in the suburbs, new material things, etc. (basically I Love Lucy and all those old sitcoms) was established and that mentality of what traditional marriage and ideal life should look like has stuck with people until today. America wasn't great back then.

Regardless this is off topic, and I'd be glad to hear your response in another thread. :cheers:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#288  Postby Seabass » Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am

Wat? Eisenhower famously hated McCarthy.

How Eisenhower Triumphed Over Joe McCarthy
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#289  Postby willhud9 » Oct 30, 2017 1:10 am

Seabass wrote:Wat? Eisenhower famously hated McCarthy.

How Eisenhower Triumphed Over Joe McCarthy

Yet did not publicly speak out or condemn him until well after McCarthy's fall from grace.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#290  Postby proudfootz » Oct 30, 2017 1:33 am

McCarthy may be gone, but over the top anti-Russian hysteria is here to stay.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#291  Postby Seabass » Oct 30, 2017 2:26 am

proudfootz wrote:McCarthy may be gone, but over the top anti-Russian hysteria is here to stay.

I wouldn't classify concern over Putin's meddling with our elections as "hysteria".
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#292  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 30, 2017 4:05 am

Willie71 wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:Not liking Bernie's ridiculous plan and thinking that he is an ineffectual buffoon

...is retarded. It's based on your irrational hatred of him, and the way you consistently misrepresent his positions.

Hillary sucks. Deal with it. Mindlessly bashing Bernie won't make her suck less. She lost to Donald Fucking Trump, FFS!

Well, if you say so.

Most people say so:

On July 11, Morning Consult released a poll naming Sen. Bernie Sanders as the most popular politician in the Senate, with a 75 percent approval rating. He held a 6 percent lead over the runner up, Sen. Brian Schatz. The rankings were based on over 140,000 interviews conducted between April 1 and June 18, 2017. The latest poll provides further evidence that Sanders is the most popular politician in the country.

A survey conducted by Fox News in March 2017 found similar results. Sanders received the highest favorability rating of nationally known politicians: 61 percent. The runner up was Vice President Mike Pence, whose favorability was 47 percent. A Harvard-Harris survey conducted in April 2017 confirmed these results, with Sanders receiving a 57 percent favorability rating. Hillary Clinton received only 42 percent favorability in the same poll. In April 2017, PolitiFact rated the claim that Sanders is the most popular politician in the country even though he lost to Clinton as mostly true.

http://observer.com/2017/07/bernie-sand ... olitician/

Again, your beliefs are out of line with reality.

The reality is that popularity doesn't automatically make for a good administrator. It would be something if Bernie had his popularity and a successful record of achievement to go along with it but that isn't the case. Not having changed his opinions in over forty years, nor accomplished legislation of any significance, and managing to get reelected in Vermont a few times isn't really much of a bragging sheet.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#293  Postby willhud9 » Oct 30, 2017 4:27 am

We don't know if Sanders would be a good administrator because he's never had direct administrator experience. That doesn't preclude him from being a good one though. Sanders isn't a bad candidate and he wasn't a bad candidate for the Democratic Party. I do not see the same issues a good portion of people see in Clinton so I liked them both on a very equal level.

This conversation is tedious in the long run. Sanders is an excellent senator who has a stable and excellent record as senator. Whether that translates into good president is enigmatic at this point and just guess work.

I never feel senators or representatives have the experience alone to be good executives and I generally look for politicians with former mayor/governor experience. Clinton had the experience of working with her husband when he was both governor and president so she had a slight edge of preference for me in that regards. Even Donald Trump I feel is more "qualified" ( :yuk: ) as a CEO as that still is an executive role.

But again George W. Bush was governor of Texas and he wasn't the best president, although I don't think he was nearly as bad as many people paint him out to be.

Overall, I think trying to say Sanders would have been a terrible president is an ignorant statement. Its not really clear whether he would be or not, but the evidence leans more towards a positive presidency than a negative one.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#294  Postby Oldskeptic » Oct 30, 2017 4:40 am

willhud9 wrote:We don't know if Sanders would be a good administrator because he's never had direct administrator experience. That doesn't preclude him from being a good one though. Sanders isn't a bad candidate and he wasn't a bad candidate for the Democratic Party. I do not see the same issues a good portion of people see in Clinton so I liked them both on a very equal level.

This conversation is tedious in the long run. Sanders is an excellent senator who has a stable and excellent record as senator. Whether that translates into good president is enigmatic at this point and just guess work.

I never feel senators or representatives have the experience alone to be good executives and I generally look for politicians with former mayor/governor experience. Clinton had the experience of working with her husband when he was both governor and president so she had a slight edge of preference for me in that regards. Even Donald Trump I feel is more "qualified" ( :yuk: ) as a CEO as that still is an executive role.

But again George W. Bush was governor of Texas and he wasn't the best president, although I don't think he was nearly as bad as many people paint him out to be.

Overall, I think trying to say Sanders would have been a terrible president is an ignorant statement. Its not really clear whether he would be or not, but the evidence leans more towards a positive presidency than a negative one.

I'm not saying Sanders would have been sure to be a bad president. I'm saying that popularity isn't enough.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#295  Postby OlivierK » Oct 30, 2017 10:58 am

willhud9 wrote:We don't know if Sanders would be a good administrator because he's never had direct administrator experience.

Quick quiz for 20 points, will: what was Bernie's last job before entering congress?
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#296  Postby Teague » Oct 30, 2017 12:05 pm

OlivierK wrote:
willhud9 wrote:We don't know if Sanders would be a good administrator because he's never had direct administrator experience.

Quick quiz for 20 points, will: what was Bernie's last job before entering congress?

LMAO :lol: :lol:
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#297  Postby proudfootz » Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Trump has all kinds of experience as an executive.

Obviously the most qualified.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#298  Postby willhud9 » Oct 30, 2017 1:47 pm

OlivierK wrote:

Ahh he was mayor of Burlington. I kind of...forgot about that. :oops:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#299  Postby Teague » Oct 30, 2017 2:30 pm

willhud9 wrote:
OlivierK wrote:

for 8 years iirc - do Mayors serve 4 years terms over there?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#300  Postby willhud9 » Oct 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Teague wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
OlivierK wrote:

for 8 years iirc - do Mayors serve 4 years terms over there?

it varies by state and city. some cities/towns/muncipalities dont have mayors but rely on city councils.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post