Snap UK General Election

June 8th 2017

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Snap UK General Election

#281  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2017 10:11 am

mrjonno wrote:No the people on this forum are laughing at it (and maybe the EU too),up 40-45% of the electorate are lapping it up. It's a very powerful message even if it doesn't mean anything. When Corbyn has gone Labour desperately need some media management who can come up with something like that. Maybe when Brexit goes to shit they can come up with some Blair like saviour message (again the policies won't be that important). The Tories will of course go for stabbed in the back, so I reckon it will be 2022 traitors versus saviours

In the pub last night, there were small business owners, a management consultant, a teacher at a private school, a retired lawyer, and sundry other people of equally Marxist revolutionary character, all laughing at how pathetic it is as a slogan. We were ordering strong & stable drinks whilst plotting the overthrown of the repressive capitalist regime. Or something.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#282  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 29, 2017 10:19 am

VazScep wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:That is biggest understatement almost of all times. :what:
Interesting, thanks. Do you think that the EU is basically the one with all of the bargaining chips, and the UK is just going to have to take what's on offer?

I am afraid I do unless someone else can show what bargaining chips the UK has. The EU has form for acting this way just look how Switzerland (a small very rich country) buckled under. The UK has this image of itself that it is the equivalent in importance to the EU and that the rest of world puts it up there with the other 'great' nations of the world. The trouble is the film has been changed but the UK has not noticed. The way it is going it will have to watch out that it does not lose its first world status.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#283  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Theresa May is "campaigning" in Scotland today. No further comment required, let journo Jamie Ross explain the day.

Having stretched any good will among journalists by calling the election, the PM is now making me take a four hour journey on a Saturday.

This tiny hall, in the middle of rural Aberdeenshire, is somehow at the very heart of the general election campaign today.Image

It isn't even inside a village - the surrounding area is pure Blair Witch territory.

This is the space in the little hall which the press have been told they can file from at the PM's event. Quaint.

Incredibly this area is so remote broadcasters don't think they'll be able to show this event live. I didn't know that was still a problem.

Beautifully, there is no reception inside the hall at all. No tweets, no live coverage. We're gonna campaign like it's 1955.

I have managed to escape Blair Witch: Election 2017 Special. I can reveal Theresa May said she offers strong and stable leadership.

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#284  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2017 2:46 pm

BBC report that Theresa May visits Aberdeen & take fight to Scotland. Truth? She's in a village hall 16 miles outside Aberdeen. INVITE ONLY

BBC report Theresa May campaigning in Aberdeen. Truth is that she is bunkered in a Village Hall, deep in a forest, 17 miles outside Aberdeen

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#285  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Can I just say, 'we in Scotland' (© Maggie T) are so grateful for the PM's visit, I am sure we all feel more informed.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#287  Postby Tracer Tong » Apr 29, 2017 3:54 pm

The BBC report I'm reading says she's campaigning in rural Aberdeenshire, in a place called Banchory.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#289  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:The BBC report I'm reading says she's campaigning in rural Aberdeenshire, in a place called Banchory.

The village hall she was "campaigning" in (to Tory activists and journos) is indeed close to the town of Banchory.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#290  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm

It's a strong and stable village hall, in strong and stable rural Aberdeenshire.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#291  Postby chairman bill » Apr 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Apparently the village hall was booked as a 'children's party'. I expect there's some electoral rule broken there.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#292  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2017 5:41 pm

chairman bill wrote:It's a strong and stable village hall, in strong and stable rural Aberdeenshire.

"It's a strong and stable village hall, in strong and stable ....... "

<looks in panic to Ruth, mumble mumble>

".... rural Aberdeenshire".
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#296  Postby VazScep » Apr 29, 2017 8:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
VazScep wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:That is biggest understatement almost of all times. :what:
Interesting, thanks. Do you think that the EU is basically the one with all of the bargaining chips, and the UK is just going to have to take what's on offer?

I am afraid I do unless someone else can show what bargaining chips the UK has. The EU has form for acting this way just look how Switzerland (a small very rich country) buckled under. The UK has this image of itself that it is the equivalent in importance to the EU and that the rest of world puts it up there with the other 'great' nations of the world. The trouble is the film has been changed but the UK has not noticed. The way it is going it will have to watch out that it does not lose its first world status.
Thanks. I'll repeat these two questions verbatim every day from here on,
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#297  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2017 8:03 pm

John Harris:

if you're a journalist & you're covering these weird T. May "campaigning" trips,don't just tweet the reality. Say it; write it.Obviously.

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969

The BBC tonight was sickening: "an old fashioned town hall meeting"(!) So old fashioned nobody local was invited! Proper feudalism.

https://twitter.com/robwpjones/status/8 ... 0617420800
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#298  Postby Tracer Tong » Apr 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Where did the BBC say this?
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Tracer Tong » Apr 29, 2017 10:31 pm

I see.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs