SNP Watch

Scottish separatists' very own thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: SNP Watch

#1842  Postby Matt_B » Mar 20, 2023 1:46 am

I'm just surprised that this is even seen as a contest. It just looks like one sort-of-OK guy against a couple of complete and utter turd sandwiches.

That said, the membership are still going to have more of a choice than Tory party members usually get. :lol:
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1844  Postby electricwhiteboy » Mar 26, 2023 10:30 am

The more I watch the SNP implode, the more Good Bye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John weirdly seems to reflect my political position. I may vote Scot Green at the next Holyrood election which could arrive much quicker than previously expected.

I'm not saying Kate Forbes IS a Unionist plant, but she is exactly what a Unionist plant would look like. And the fucking bizarre thing is she's probably not one.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#1845  Postby ronmcd » Mar 27, 2023 11:19 am

The loudest voices in the last few weeks haven't even been SNP voices, or even pro independence. They have been a toxic brew of angry Alba roasters, Scottish Tories, people with WATP in their twitter bios, and journalists.

Odd that.

Regan may belong to one or more of the above categories lol
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1846  Postby ronmcd » Mar 27, 2023 1:42 pm

Humza wins.

'A rather narrow result' - Sir John Curtice
Sir John Curtice says "the nationalist ship which had taken a bit of a battering" will come to a calmer position.

The University of Strathclyde polling expert adds that if Kate Forbes had won a lot of SNP parliamentarians would have been unhappy.

He says given the strength of support Humza Yousaf has within the two parliamentary parties, one has to say that after only getting 52% of the votes after the second vote redistribution, was a "rather narrow result".

Sir John suspects Yousaf will have to offer Kate Forbes a senior position in his cabinet, possibly staying as finance secretary.

"Whether or not she decides to take it, that is another matter."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-65086830
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1847  Postby electricwhiteboy » Mar 27, 2023 1:48 pm

The fact that if Ash Regan had bowed out it would have probably been a win for Forbes is probably the depressing take away from this.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#1849  Postby THWOTH » Mar 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Ah Douglas. Would you rather the SNP were burning travellers out of their caravans?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1850  Postby fisherman » Mar 28, 2023 6:49 pm

Can't see her run for re-election in the backbenches.

fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1851  Postby THWOTH » Mar 29, 2023 12:36 pm

Kate Forbes wants “time out of the spotlight to spend time with her family” and is
leaving the Scottish government rather than accept the rural affairs demotion her new leader has offered her.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1852  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2023 4:00 pm

fisherman wrote:Can't see her run for re-election in the backbenches.

Lol that Mercurious guy is creepy obsessed. Someone who tweets people like Dan Wooton and the Scottish Daily Express of course.

Definitely the voice of the Scottish people :lol:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1853  Postby fisherman » Mar 29, 2023 4:43 pm

I thought it a mild piece of editing.

The list of failures on her watch could have been 3 or 4 times the length requiring a much longer song. Something like Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall, maybe? :lol:
:lame: I know
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1854  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2023 7:58 pm

fisherman wrote:I thought it a mild piece of editing.

The list of failures on her watch could have been 3 or 4 times the length requiring a much longer song. Something like Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall, maybe? :lol:
:lame: I know

Oh I didn't watch the video, I'm just aware of his 'work'.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1855  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2023 8:11 pm

Dani Garavelli doesn't pull her punches, getting stuck in to Nicola's record for over 1000 words:

Nicola Sturgeon's opponents would kill for her 'failure'

But ends on this point:

There was, notwithstanding her limitations, much to admire. At a time when the Tories were baiting migrants and the EU, she stood for an openness to the world beyond Scottish or UK borders. Though it may be true that Scots are no less racist than anyone else, she never pandered to those baser instincts or stoked hatred to bolster her own position. She gave young women something to aspire to. And if you think that’s nothing, you’ve never lived in a world bereft of role models.

Policy-wise, too, there were genuine achievements. The SNP expanded free childcare, with more promised (something the UK government is now seeking to emulate). And while it is often said Sturgeon preferred to whine about Westminster than use the powers she had, Scotland now has the most progressive tax and benefits system in the UK, and its poorest families are receiving £25 per child per week to help offset the cost of living crisis.

Some of the vitriol smacks of jealousy. All political careers end in failure, they say, even Sturgeon’s. But the failure Sturgeon is experiencing is the kind most of her opponents would kill for: eight election victories and, even now, the highest approval rating of any Scottish leader.

Sure, she should have been better and bolder. But the world’s a complicated place. It is not impossible to both lament what could have, should have been, and think: “We will not see her like again”.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1857  Postby THWOTH » Apr 05, 2023 7:32 pm

Around £600,000 administered by Murrell seems to be unaccounted for.

Perhaps he has a massive coke habit? :dunno:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1858  Postby ronmcd » Apr 05, 2023 9:28 pm

Not sure it's unaccounted for, ie stuffed down the back of the sofa, I think the problem is they raised money ringfenced for fighting the 2nd independence referendum post 2017, raised £600,000, but used it for other things. The referendum didn't happen as consecutive Tory govts said naw, and the accounts with the electoral commission show they had a lot less than £600k in recent years, so had spent it presumably.

If someone has nicked it, that's one thing, that person will be going to prison. If SNP have just swallowed up the 'ringfenced' cash for other things, not sure it would be a criminal offence.

We will see, I guess.

The funniest thing about the whole story is, afaik, the person who actually made the initial complaint was the absolute nutcase Ckerkin, seen here in one of his more pleasant moments. No fan of the SNP, or anybody actually. And he seemingly made the complaint entirely off the back of reading the story in the now Salmond/Alba supporting Wingsoverscotland site. It's a tangled web of fuckwits.

ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1859  Postby THWOTH » Apr 06, 2023 2:10 am

ronmcd wrote:Not sure it's unaccounted for, ie stuffed down the back of the sofa, I think the problem is they raised money ringfenced for fighting the 2nd independence referendum post 2017, raised £600,000, but used it for other things. The referendum didn't happen as consecutive Tory govts said naw, and the accounts with the electoral commission show they had a lot less than £600k in recent years, so had spent it presumably...

THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs