SNP Watch

Scottish separatists' very own thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

SNP Watch

#1  Postby Strontium Dog » Feb 02, 2015 10:57 pm

I searched but could not find a dedicated Scottish National Party thread. Plenty about independence referendums, elections and the like, but not the party itself.

Since there's a very real possibility that the Nats are going to hold the balance of power in the next election, it's an omission that needs rectifying.

Let's kick it off then... :coffee:

http://www.markpack.org.uk/125116/three ... eationism/

Three SNP MSPs call for schools to teach creationism

Three Scottish MSPs – all members of the SNP – have backed a motion claiming that science cannot disprove the belief that God created the world in six days, and that children should be taught this in schools:

Richard Lyle MSP and Dave Thompson MSP are supporting the motion, which was put forward by John Mason MSP. The full motion reads:

“That the Parliament notes that South Lanarkshire Council has issued guidance concerning the appointment and input of chaplains and religious organisations in schools; understands that some people believe that God created the world in six days, some people believe that God created the world over a longer period of time and some people believe that the world came about without anyone creating it; considers that none of these positions can be proved or disproved by science and all are valid beliefs for people to hold, and further considers that children in Scotland’s schools should be aware of all of these different belief systems.”
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: SNP Watch

#2  Postby chairman bill » Feb 02, 2015 11:03 pm

"In the beginning was fire and ice..."

I hope they'll include the Norse creation myth, 'cos otherwise we're talking preferential treatment for one mythology over another
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » Feb 02, 2015 11:08 pm

"Some people believe that.. blah blah-de blah, therefore all children must learn all of some people's bullshit, and the other stuff that makes more sense"
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ronmcd » Feb 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Btw ... is someone feeling a little tender over the monstering he and his party repeatedly get in another thread? :shhh:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ronmcd » Feb 02, 2015 11:30 pm

Here is the offending Holyrood Motion, by well known religious nut John Mason.
Motion S4M-12149: John Mason, Glasgow Shettleston, Scottish National Party, Date Lodged: 23/01/2015
Creationism and Evolution

That the Parliament notes that South Lanarkshire Council has issued guidance concerning the appointment and input of chaplains and religious organisations in schools; understands that some people believe that God created the world in six days, some people believe that God created the world over a longer period of time and some people believe that the world came about without anyone creating it; considers that none of these positions can be proved or disproved by science and all are valid beliefs for people to hold, and further considers that children in Scotland’s schools should be aware of all of these different belief systems.

Supported by: Richard Lyle, Dave Thompson

And here is the response, also from SNP MSPs, plus Labour, Liberals, Tories :lol: :
Motion S4M-12148: Stewart Maxwell, West Scotland, Scottish National Party, Date Lodged: 23/01/2015
Crackdown against Creationism

That the Parliament congratulates South Lanarkshire Council on taking decisive action to prevent the teaching of creationism in schools by introducing new guidance; condemns any promotion of creationism in publicly funded schools, including the reported distribution of creationist books at Kirktonholme Primary School; believes that creationism should not be presented as a scientific theory and viable alternative to the established theory of evolution, and supports the Society of Biology and the Scottish Secular Society position in opposing the teaching of creationism in the classroom.

Supported by: Bill Kidd, Christine Grahame, Kenneth Gibson, Patrick Harvie, Rob Gibson, James Dornan, Richard Simpson, David Torrance, John Finnie, Alison McInnes, Jean Urquhart, Elaine Murray, Joan McAlpine, Mary Fee, Tavish Scott, Mike MacKenzie, Cara Hilton

In summary: religious nutters will be religious nutters. Westminster has Nadine Dorries, Holyrood has John Mason.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Feb 03, 2015 10:08 am

I find the term "Scottish seperatists" to be quite trollful. The Scottish want the English seprated from them and not the other way around as the name implies. It comes across as the English rubbing in their dominance.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby catbasket » Feb 03, 2015 10:14 am

Dear Strontium Dog,

In the interests of equality, liberty and freedom may we please have a Plaid Cymru Watch thread.

Yours interfrastically,

A Welsh Bloke
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby chairman bill » Feb 03, 2015 10:17 am

You could just start the thread yourself, though if you did it, it wouldn't be in the interests of liberty & freedom, obviously, 'cos only LibDems do that sort of thing.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby catbasket » Feb 03, 2015 10:24 am

Exactly.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

What we do without the LibDems?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby chairman bill » Feb 03, 2015 10:40 am

We'd be living in Nazi-Communist gulags, with the sky falling on our heads.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ED209 » Feb 03, 2015 11:06 am

Glad to see the UK's sixth party trying to punch upwards at the UK's third party, and still falling so far short.

Maybe the MRLP would be a more manageable adversary? On second thoughts better not, the yellow tories don't want to provoke a backlash of even more people in penguin costumes beating them in elections.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#14  Postby Scarlett » Feb 03, 2015 11:55 am

For the first time, I'll be voting SNP, in both the general and Holyrood elections.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby ronmcd » Feb 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Scarlett wrote:For the first time, I'll be voting SNP, in both the general and Holyrood elections.

I'll certainly be voting for them in a GE for the first time, the days of people in Scotland voting differently seems to be over. Poor Jim Murphy.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby chairman bill » Feb 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Salmond read the people of Scotland remarkably well, taking a right-wing nationalist party towards the centre ground on some things, to the left on a few others, but still retaining enough of the pro-capitalist bollocks to keep his right-wingers on side. He's managed to convince the electorate that the SNP can be all things to all people, but most of all, that the SNP is to the left of Labour, something Labour's rightwards drift under Blair has done nothing to counter.

Until Labour has a big hitter as a leader, someone on the left, prepared to stand up & fight & rip into the right wing in Britain, I fear it will always be so, and Scotland will become increasingly lost to Labour.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Scarlett » Feb 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Jim Murphy is a twat. If anything could have pushed me further from Scottish Labour it was that numpty.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby mrjonno » Feb 03, 2015 12:37 pm

chairman bill wrote:Salmond read the people of Scotland remarkably well, taking a right-wing nationalist party towards the centre ground on some things, to the left on a few others, but still retaining enough of the pro-capitalist bollocks to keep his right-wingers on side. He's managed to convince the electorate that the SNP can be all things to all people, but most of all, that the SNP is to the left of Labour, something Labour's rightwards drift under Blair has done nothing to counter.

Until Labour has a big hitter as a leader, someone on the left, prepared to stand up & fight & rip into the right wing in Britain, I fear it will always be so, and Scotland will become increasingly lost to Labour.

The middle classes dominate English politics in the way they don't seem to do in Scotland. It's impossible to really get the support of both as the same time except where on the borders of the economic groups, ie working class people who want to be middle class and middle class people who are terrified they will become working class
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby ronmcd » Feb 03, 2015 12:37 pm

chairman bill wrote:Salmond read the people of Scotland remarkably well, taking a right-wing nationalist party towards the centre ground on some things, to the left on a few others, but still retaining enough of the pro-capitalist bollocks to keep his right-wingers on side. He's managed to convince the electorate that the SNP can be all things to all people, but most of all, that the SNP is to the left of Labour, something Labour's rightwards drift under Blair has done nothing to counter.

The move from being to the right of Labour to the left happened a long time ago, it could really be traced back to a young Salmond and others being expelled from the party in the 80's, they realised that to be successful they needed to represent the politics of the majority, not the minority.

It is true that SNP since devolution haven't really moved left. Labour moved right, and committed suicide. Once enough people realised SNPs actual policies were to the left of Labour, they were fucked.

And who have they voted for as new leader? The arch Blairite. Supported by a team of blairites. Idiots.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#20  Postby chairman bill » Feb 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Murphy will prove an absolute disaster for Labour. I'm not sure they'll get wiped out as some speculate, but hopefully enough of a kicking to leave Murphy out in the cold.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs