State of Emergency Declared in Charlottesville VA

at white nationalist protest called "Unite the White"

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

State of Emergency Declared in Charlottesville VA

#1  Postby chango369 » Aug 12, 2017 7:27 pm

:nono: Fucking waste of carbon.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — A planned protest in Virginia by white nationalists was abandoned on Saturday after a spate of violence prompted the governor to declare a state of emergency and law enforcement officers to clear the area.

The demonstration, which both organizers and critics had said was the largest gathering of white nationalists in recent years, turned violent almost immediately and left several people injured.

State of Emergency Declared in Charlottesville After Protests Turn Violent
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: State of Emergency Declared in Charlottesville VA

#2  Postby Pulsar » Aug 12, 2017 7:38 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Pulsar » Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm

https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/896457721846878214

BREAKING: University of Virginia Medical Center tells NYT it has treated 19 people injured in #Charlottesville protests. 1 person has died
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby willhud9 » Aug 12, 2017 8:33 pm

:(

Stupid alt-right. Fucking racists the lot of them.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby chango369 » Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Trump weighs in ambiguously in his condemnation of the events in Charlottesville. I suppose it's no surprise seeing as he's surrounded himself with the likes of Miller, Bannon and Gorka.

President Trump said he condemns hatred and bigotry on "many sides" in Charlottesville, Virginia, in remarks from New Jersey, his first since white nationalist group protests turned violent and resulted in one death and 34 others injured Saturday.

"We're closely following the terrible events unfolding in Charlottesville, Virginia," Mr. Trump said. "We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence, on many sides."

In his remarks, the president failed to mention the displays of white nationalism or Nazi symbols present in Charlottesville Saturday.

Trump Condemns Violence ‘On Many Sides’ in Charlottesville
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 12, 2017 8:43 pm

chango369 wrote:Trump weighs in ambiguously in his condemnation of the events in Charlottesville. I suppose it's no surprise seeing as he's surrounded himself with the likes of Miller, Bannon and Gorka.

President Trump said he condemns hatred and bigotry on "many sides" in Charlottesville, Virginia, in remarks from New Jersey, his first since white nationalist group protests turned violent and resulted in one death and 34 others injured Saturday.

"We're closely following the terrible events unfolding in Charlottesville, Virginia," Mr. Trump said. "We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence, on many sides."

In his remarks, the president failed to mention the displays of white nationalism or Nazi symbols present in Charlottesville Saturday.

Hmm.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan C » Aug 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
chango369 wrote:Trump weighs in ambiguously in his condemnation of the events in Charlottesville. I suppose it's no surprise seeing as he's surrounded himself with the likes of Miller, Bannon and Gorka.

Hmm.

'On many sides'? Well counter-protestors weren't driving cars into those fuckwit brownshirts. Fuck Trump, he walked out on a request to denounce the white-supremacists too. He's a toilet-stain.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Pulsar » Aug 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Apparently a state police helicopter has crashed.

https://twitter.com/JDeanSeal/status/896479411687608320
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Alan C wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Hmm.

'On many sides'? Well counter-protestors weren't driving cars into those fuckwit brownshirts. Fuck Trump, he walked out on a request to denounce the white-supremacists too. He's a toilet-stain.

Agreed. Hence why I found it noteworthy that the article doesn't refer to him as president, but rather mr. Trump.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rumraket » Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Straight up terrorist attack on the protesters. The irony.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Rumraket

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby willhud9 » Aug 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Not to mention the fact that the KKK have been rallying there for months. Not to mention many of my friends at UVA have been dealing with this shit for months now. Violence on both sides my ass.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Why do the officials let two hostile groups to demonstrate on the same day and on the same location ?
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby willhud9 » Aug 12, 2017 10:27 pm

The 1st amendment? :scratch:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 12, 2017 10:38 pm

willhud9 wrote:The 1st amendment? :scratch:

According to our constitution anybody have to right to spread his ideas and demonstrate it anywhere without prior notification but getting that much crowd near each other is not safe for anyone.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby willhud9 » Aug 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Which is why the national guard was called in. To disperse the population and allow peace to come back.

Really it's a shame, Richmond, NoVA, and the Hampton Roads area are all liberal, but areas like Charlottesville are notorious for being conservative.

Like I'm all for keeping the memorial of Robert E Lee up. He was a famous and respectable Virginian. I disagree with the decision to try and remove the statue. But this has shown how many fucked up racist bigots I've had to call my neighbor for most of my life. It's a disgrace.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 13, 2017 12:11 am

Over here when there's a risk of two such diametrically opposed groups protesting on the same day, or worse, directly against one-another, authorities first request from both parties that at least one of them reschedule their protest. Otherwise a common solution is for the local government to provide mandatory march routes and/or protest locations, to avoid having both groups meet each other.
Of course this only applies if there is a perceived risk of riots, fighting etc.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby proudfootz » Aug 13, 2017 2:10 am

This is the chance to catch a bunch of domestic terrorists and their most vocal supporters all in one place.

Finally those internement camps in the desert will pay off!
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby willhud9 » Aug 13, 2017 2:30 am

To conservatives on Facebook claiming that the "alt-right" are not true conservatives: nice No-True Scotsman Fallacy, but irrelevant.

YOU are the cause of this. You can say how you are not a white supremacist and how you don't have a racist thought, etc. and that is fine, but you tolerated the racists among you. You laughed at those racist jokes. You allowed them to make statements like, "I don't hate black people, I just hate thugs/n****rs." You turned a blind eye when these groups spit upon the progress of the gay community. After all, they went to church with you and you all united under God against the gay agenda. But you feel uncomfortable when that guy who sat next to you in your pew all of a sudden proudly puts on a Klan hood? You hypocrites, you frauds.

You condemn this hate, because it puts scrutiny on you. You are uncomfortable because you realize that you could have said something all along but chose not to. You allowed the white supremacists who aligned themselves with the president you supported to gain a voice. You defended the right to speech. Not giving a damn whether said speech was truly hateful.

Racism is disgusting. I am not a violent person, but seeing blatant racism boils my blood.

Hate speech is not tolerable. Hateful opinions are not tolerable. You have the right to say that "black people are inferior to white people" but I will not allow such opinions to gain traction. I will yell over you, I will interrupt you, I will distract you, I will make sure your opinion is devoid of any solid traction because I have no tolerance for such filth.

I stand with those in Charlottesville who are tired of racists and the alt-right. I stand with those injured and dead today due to the intolerable behavior of my fellow Virginians.

But to conservatives out there own up to your factions mistake lest you continue making the same ones.

My obligatory post to Facebook about the events of last night and today.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Animavore » Aug 13, 2017 10:21 am

Trump Condemns Violence ‘On Many Sides’ in Charlottesville

How does he do it? How does he consistently come out with new ways to sink lower? You think he's gone as low as humanly possible and then he manages to eke out another millimetre of depth.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Aug 13, 2017 10:22 am

*double post*
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler