Supreme Court Watch

Formerly Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire. Goodbye Roe v Wade, Obergefell

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Supreme Court Watch

#581  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2020 9:50 pm

It's amazing how they push to do what most people in the country don't want, and still somehow think they're the good guys.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 29, 2020 11:28 pm

laklak wrote:SCOTUS strikes down Louisiana law restricting abortions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scotus-strikes-down-louisiana-law-that-placed-restrictions-on-abortion-clinics

Roberts casts the deciding vote. Trumpy gonna have apoplexy.

Yiss!

A couple of my law people were predicting that Roberts would be switching sides on some of these because Trump no longer looks so certain to be reelected - less likelihood of more conservative justices.

Like Olivier says though, anti-abortion voters. I couldn't count how many Christians I've come across who'll go to bat for him on this issue alone. They'll attack other Christians for objecting to all his other moral problems for no other reason than "he's protecting the unborn babies."
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#583  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Other case that's a little...less good.
The Supreme Court’s big decision on the CFPB and the “unitary executive,” explained
Chief Justice Roberts’s opinion can be read two ways. One of them could be catastrophic.

There are two ways to read the Supreme Court’s decision in Seila Law v. CFPB, which was handed down on Monday.

But before we get to that, here are the basics of the case: The plaintiffs in this case asked the Court to invalidate the entire Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a federal agency, proposed in 2007 by then-professor Elizabeth Warren, to prevent predatory practices by many lenders. But the radical claim that the whole agency should fall gained little traction on the Supreme Court. Instead, the justices largely focused on the question of whether the president may remove the CFPB’s sitting director at will.

A majority of the Court agreed that a president may remove the CFPB director. In the short term, that decision could benefit presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, who will be able to remove Trump’s CFPB director right away if Biden becomes president. In the long term, however, the decision could potentially empower the president to manipulate the political process.

The first way to read Seila Law is as a minor decision holding that the unusual structure Congress envisioned for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is unconstitutional. The CFPB is one of just a few federal agencies that is headed by a single director who cannot be removed at will by the president of the United States. Seila Law holds that this abnormal way of structuring a federal agency’s leadership is unconstitutional.

All five of the Court’s Republican appointees agreed with this decision, while all four of the Court’s Democratic appointees joined a dissenting opinion by Justice Elena Kagan.

The other way to read the decision, however, is that it could be the first salvo in an attack on other agencies that enjoy some degree of insulation from the president. These “independent” agencies include bodies like the Federal Reserve and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and there are vital reasons why these agencies’ leadership should remain independent of the president.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/29/21307083/ ... -executive
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#584  Postby chango369 » Jul 09, 2020 9:03 pm

How fucking delicious that the decision was 7-2, with both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh voting against Trump.

The supreme court has issued its decision in one case involving subpoenas for Trump’s financial records.

The justices issued a 7-2 decision that the president’s tax returns and business records may be turned over to a grand jury in New York.

The ruling marks a defeat for Trump, who has pushed for years to hide the documents from the public.

Trump’s taxes may be released to grand jury, supreme court rules
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#585  Postby Alan C » Jul 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Arse kisser Lou Dobbs is shrieking that those two are part of the deep state.
:rofl:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#586  Postby Svartalf » Jul 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Since "deep state" is a meaningless piece of gibberish, that's par for his course.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#587  Postby laklak » Jul 18, 2020 3:22 am

Ginsburg getting chemotherapy but isn't retiring.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53451208
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#588  Postby Alan C » Jul 19, 2020 7:16 am

Given the chance, MoscowMitch will try and ram through a replacement before the election or before, hopefully, TOMF is evicted from the Oval Office.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#589  Postby laklak » Jul 19, 2020 2:24 pm

I think (or at least hope) that even a GOP Senate would refuse to confirm any SCOTUS justice this close to an election. But hey, you never know with this bunch of baboons.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#590  Postby Svartalf » Jul 19, 2020 2:34 pm

after frump managed to fill two of the seats on the trail of roberts and alito? Quite the other way me thinks, they will shoehorn in a conservative to further contaminate the court if they can.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#591  Postby chango369 » Jul 19, 2020 3:17 pm

laklak wrote:I think (or at least hope) that even a GOP Senate would refuse to confirm any SCOTUS justice this close to an election. But hey, you never know with this bunch of baboons.

Iowa baboon Joni Ernst's on board. ETA: Even during a lame-duck session ffs.

U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst said Friday that the Senate should hold hearings on any Supreme Court nomination President Donald Trump might make this year, even if he loses November's election.

"(If) it is a lame-duck session, I would support going ahead with any hearings that we might have," Ernst, a Republican, said during a taping of the Iowa Press show on Iowa PBS. "And if it comes to an appointment prior to the end of the year, I would be supportive of that."

The comments came after Supreme Court Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg disclosed that she is once again battling cancer, and she was hospitalized this week with a possible infection.

"I wish nothing but the best of health for Ruth Bader Ginsburg," Ernst said. "I think we all do. And I’ll be praying for her."

Joni Ernst: If Trump has a Supreme Court nominee, Senate should hold hearings

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#592  Postby OlivierK » Jul 20, 2020 6:36 am

laklak wrote:I think (or at least hope) that even a GOP Senate would refuse to confirm any SCOTUS justice this close to an election. But hey, you never know with this bunch of baboons.

Seriously, lak? Even before Chango posted Ernst's idiocy, my first thought was that you were seriously overreaching if you thought that this bunch of Senate Republicans would be guided in any way by ethics, due process, or probity. I'd expect them to have a go even if there was a specific law against it.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#593  Postby felltoearth » Jul 20, 2020 3:08 pm

SCOTUS and Circuit Court appointments are their main agenda besides enriching themselves and their friends.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#594  Postby laklak » Jul 20, 2020 4:41 pm

OlivierK wrote:

Seriously, lak? Even before Chango posted Ernst's idiocy, my first thought was that you were seriously overreaching if you thought that this bunch of Senate Republicans would be guided in any way by ethics, due process, or probity. I'd expect them to have a go even if there was a specific law against it.

One can but hope. Probably in vain, but it springs eternal.

ETA if RBG does retire or pop her clogs and they do manage to push through a nominee, then we can only hope that Roberts continues to surprise us.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#595  Postby OlivierK » Jul 21, 2020 4:47 am

Yeah, he doesn't seem too impressed by their disrespect for process. Still, it's a fucking shitshow that would be best resolved by RBG hanging on till next year (or longer :cheers:) and USians not electing Republican presidents or Congressional majorities for a few decades minimum.

And you thought you were the optimist :lol:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#596  Postby aban57 » Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

I don't know how this went unnoticed :

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2020/07/11/supreme-court-oklahoma/?fbclid=IwAR0SfsNcwRabg_9uvhtojo0uRdIewpXmHPKKv-FfwqH-Qm92_dmN9JPkn_8

The Supreme Court has ruled 5 – 4 that a large section of eastern Oklahoma belongs to Native Americans. An appeal from inmate – and Seminole – Jimcy McGirt has led to 3 million acres in Oklahoma being declared a reservation. Or at least clarified as such. Thursday’s judgement follows a generation-spanning argument over promises made to indigenous peoples back in the 19th century. Tulsa is noticeably affected, with a majority of the city covered by the new arrangement. Approx half the state falls under the ruling.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#597  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Aug 10, 2020 12:56 am

Good for them. Shady shit will sidestep this ruling though. Can’t just hand over land to Indians like that. Next they’ll want the Black Hills back.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#598  Postby Macdoc » Aug 10, 2020 1:47 am

A very dire bit of attempted genocide. Not that Canada was that much better but this was horrid. Had a local artists painting on the wall that I really liked - a partial redo of this which was really effective and haunting

Trail of Tears: Indian Removal Act, Facts & Significance ...www.history.com › topics › native-american-history › t...
Jul 7, 2020 - The Trail of Tears is over 5,043 miles long and covers nine states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, ...

https://www.history.com/topics/native-a ... l-of-tears
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#599  Postby felltoearth » Aug 10, 2020 3:54 am

The Canadian version by Ken Monkman

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#600  Postby chango369 » Aug 11, 2020 10:51 pm

More on the Supreme Court's "shadow docket."

Like clockwork, each June brings the Supreme Court back to the forefront of America’s culture wars, as the justices issue major new opinions that are equal parts significant and divisive—precipitating a flood of headlines, popular opinion pieces, and longer-form academic responses. This term attracted a flurry of coverage of the court’s decisions on abortion, immigration, guns, LGBT discrimination, religion, the president’s financial records, and the separation of powers.

But after the fanfare subsided, the justices have spent the first month of their summer recess handing out an unusually large and divisive number of significant rulings. These rulings are quietly shaping the rules of the upcoming elections, how governments can (and can’t) respond to COVID, the resumption of the federal death penalty, and more. But they aren’t decisions in argued cases left over from last term. Rather, these are decisions on what University of Chicago law professor Will Baude has dubbed the “shadow docket.”

The Supreme Court’s Most Partisan Decisions Are Flying Under the Radar

Frank Zappa
chango369

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs