Supreme Court Watch

Formerly Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire. Goodbye Roe v Wade, Obergefell

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Supreme Court Watch

#721  Postby arugula2 » Sep 04, 2021 3:19 pm

Evolving wrote:That was a really interesting video, arugula2: thank you for posting it. I wouldn't call it "of a biblical persuasion"; what it does instead is point out, if you come at this holy book in a literal way for the purpose of bolstering your opinion on abortion, what consequences arising elsewhere in that holy book you have to incorporate into your thinking.

He seems like a nice man.

Np! Josh is a lovely (and funny) person - so is his wife Megan, also an assyriologist... They co-host Digital Hammurabi on youtube.

And yes, it's interesting how ppl driven to curb other ppl's rights are driven by values in a book/tradition that embraces slavery, promotes genocide, and prescribes cash penalties for accidental induced abortion (payable to the husband of the woman, because she's basically not a full person, and neither is the fetus, according to the book... the fetus is a lost investment, rather).
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#722  Postby arugula2 » Sep 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Planned Parenthood already announced a few days ago that they'd stop providing TX abortion services in anticipation of the law & have been turning away patients. They're now suing in court to get some preemptive relief - unfortunately they have to sue a specific entity (Texas Right to Life, the ones operating the website), which still leaves abortion providers open to lawsuits by any of Texas's 29 million residents. But it's a useful start.

Beau's niche is the intersection of liberal condescension and white guilt... I think it's got to do with ppl's disdain for southerners & southern US accents, making them feel relief & delight that there's a sympathizer in "enemy country" with a big beard and an enhanced southern drawl posting low-content videos in his den. (For starters, he summarizes the law as "a law that enables a website". The website is the click-getter for Beau.)

Anyway....
GoDaddy blocked the site the same day of his video, for violation of terms (violation of personal privacy). It's probably getting hosted at Epik next.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#723  Postby Hermit » Sep 08, 2021 2:16 pm

The de facto abortion ban in Texas might just get overturned.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#724  Postby arugula2 » Sep 08, 2021 2:30 pm

Such a bizarre situation, where a TX AG might have to again (after failing vs ACA) stand before a federal court & try to argue that a rando yokel might be harmed by someone else getting an abortion. It’s amazing how far ppl will put their feelings ahead of someone else’s liberty.

Also - didn’t realize at first - anyone can sue. Not just Texans. Yikes. There’s lots of reasons why Texas is the truest representation of American values: emotionally precious & claiming domain over the whole planet.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#725  Postby The_Piper » Sep 10, 2021 12:10 pm

arugula2 wrote:

-snip-

Beau's niche is the intersection of liberal condescension and white guilt... I think it's got to do with ppl's disdain for southerners & southern US accents, making them feel relief & delight that there's a sympathizer in "enemy country" with a big beard and an enhanced southern drawl posting low-content videos in his den. (For starters, he summarizes the law as "a law that enables a website". The website is the click-getter for Beau.)

Anyway....
GoDaddy blocked the site the same day of his video, for violation of terms (violation of personal privacy). It's probably getting hosted at Epik next.

I've been watching Beau for a long time and he's not a liberal, he's soundly left. Not American left, left left. I'm willing to bet his accent is real. I think he's originally from Tennessee and that's not even a thick accent for there. :lol: He's in Florida now. He's also not one who does things just for clicks, he hasn't changed much since his channel was hardly known. I don't perceive any change at all. He uses his appearance and background to get clicks...from right wingers and he hopes to open their eyes to the facts. He's a solid ally unlike some others who try to sow division and frequent Tucker Carlson's show and fail to accomplish any one thing for the little guy.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#726  Postby arugula2 » Sep 10, 2021 6:05 pm

^ Oh I never thought he doesn't have a thick southern accent, I just pick up on enhancements here and there, randomly. Entirely subjective & the only way I could prove it would be to skim through several hours in different contexts & compare - which might be impossible to do. Idek if other contexts exist. (I'd try it if I could.)

Also, I don't think I know his actual politics. I would assume he's a lefty, but that's neither here nor there, because you can project whatever you want in a 1-man show. Unless he also does unrehearsed conversations with ppl, I think of this as a performance. Kinda like an instagram or facebook diary. I've only seen a few of his (a dozen?) scattered over a couple years... it's comfortably liberal. Could find a lot of liberal talking heads in the mainstream who say what he says (in the handful of vids I've seen of his). Can only infer it from what he chooses to cover & how he frames his argument. Maybe I need to find the right mix of videos, but there's nothing particularly leftist about his content or the framing of it... so far, it seems aimed mainly at beltway liberals & white guilt. (My drive-by critique of how he frames the TX abortion law is minor. If I could latch on to any exception to what I think is his general approach to political commentary, I wouldn't even mention it... just haven't found one yet.)

There's nothing wrong with 'division'. Another way to describe it is 'strongly defending a position', or 'partisan politics'. That these concepts have become a dirty word is most of what's wrong with American politics (and much of what's wrong with liberal politics specifically - it's no wonder standard liberalism is so strong in this country... there's no place left for middle class white people who don't want to be labelled 'racist' but who don't want to see systemic change that affects them). In fact, liberal 'division' is the problem... it's division on superficial grounds, so it's manipulative in the worst sense. The goal of it is to keep people divided in order to avoid change. You'd have a point if that's the division you mean, but it doesn't sound like it. I think the whole point of leftist politics is that there are clear positions over which to demand that the system change. It becomes pretty easy to spot 'liberal' from 'leftist' positions - you just follow the money. American liberals hide in leftist jargon but never concede the need for tax hikes, universal housing/healthcare/education, various forms of financial reparations, and a scaling back of the military & police state. All of that costs them money. It's possible Beau is all for these thing$, and I can quickly be convinced of it.

Not sure who the other person is you're referring to, I'll assume it's Greenwald, let me know if I'm wrong. The contrast is unnecessary. Also, it's illogical... you suggest Beau's decor & affect are consciously intended to draw in conservatives in order to expose them to radical left views, but Greenwald's mere presence on a right-wing talk show somehow doesn't do that. (I think he avoids political labels for himself. He calls himself a civil libertarian iirc... a bit like how Chomsky stops at "anarchist"... it's a conscious distancing from political parties, one for journalistic reasons, the other academic.) Also, you might be unaware of his career, if you don't see 'accomplishments' for "the little guy". Lula is free largely because of Greenwald. Lula & his party presided over maybe the biggest uplift of people out of poverty in the last 40 years, outside of China. Millions of people, including millions of children, have not gone to bed hungry in the past decade, have had regular schooling for the first time in generations, have been able to travel & do commerce, and live with dignity because of the PT's policies... then a liberal soft coup happened (backed by our government, and funded by American conservatives and libs alike) specifically to put those people back into poverty. Greenwald almost single-handedly exposed it, forcing the Brasilian supreme court to release Lula. He's poised to return to politics next year & undo the damage. I don't think I can point to any journalist/pundit/politician in this country who's done a tiny fraction of that much good for "the little guy" in a lifetime, much less in a single project. Can you?

There's also Snowden's revelations about government abuse of power (over you, me and everyone we know). Snowden's determined to keep the abuses in the spotlight, while facing a life sentence (he's even willing to face trial if it is a public trial & not a secret spy trial... that's for our benefit). Greenwald is still his biggest advocate afaik. There's also Assange, who exposed our government's war crimes and dirty politics (including the rigging of Bernie's campaign in 2016, which is half of why liberals want to see him imprisoned... the other half being the military-CIA graft they're waist-deep in). Greenwald is still his biggest advocate afaik. No liberal network wants to expose Americans to Snowden & Assange and related topics about press freedom/free speech, the surveillance state, and war crimes... and neither does Fox News afaik, meaning the talk show has enough pull within the network to force that kind of exposure. There are literally billions of "little guy" people who stand to benefit from that exposure. It's amazing to me that anyone has to point this out.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#727  Postby Hermit » Sep 10, 2021 6:50 pm

The_Piper wrote:I've been watching Beau for a long time and he's not a liberal, he's soundly left. Not American left, left left.

Could you, or anyone else, please provide a link or two where Beau says something that is definitely left left? I am not denying that he has not. It's just that I missed such instances if he has.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#728  Postby arugula2 » Sep 11, 2021 1:08 am

^^ Should add, on the Lula tip... what has followed are credible & constant death threats on Greenwald & his children, an attempt by the white supremacist neo-fascists in government to imprison him; he & his family have around-the-clock armed guards now. His & his husband's close friend (a Rio city official) was gunned down by the same reactionary forces 3 years ago because she advocated for marginalized poor, black & indigenous people & against exploitation policies of the neoliberal forces. His husband now continues her advocacy in parliament, and Greenwald amplifies it abroad. The military junta & neoliberal/conservative civilian governments before Lula, were put into power & propped up by our government here in DC - the current coup-government* wants to return to military rule because it's the only way their backers see the anti-poverty policies going away permanently. Either way, if they succeed, American liberals will have a hand in it - the same people whining about Greenwald for "associating with" bigots. It's cheap theater.

Point is, when liberals whine, and then fair-weather leftists feel pressured to echo the whine so as not to have their grievances dismissed (by those same narcissistic, cynical liberals) and risk losing subscribers or being called names on Twitter... the guy in the crosshairs is the one with integrity.

(*On topic: prepping their base by threatening the Supreme Court... something which a Bolsonaro failson was already doing years ago.)
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#729  Postby The_Piper » Sep 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Hermit wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I've been watching Beau for a long time and he's not a liberal, he's soundly left. Not American left, left left.

Could you, or anyone else, please provide a link or two where Beau says something that is definitely left left? I am not denying that he has not. It's just that I missed such instances if he has.
Nothing in particular comes to mind. It's pretty time-consuming watching a bunch of videos and finding the time stamps for you. It's ok if you don't believe me. Watch more of his content then. :lol: His q&A videos are the best place to hear his opinions on things. I think he's an anarchist, and is definitely not a US-style liberal. His accent might actually be made-up. I just learned that Beau is just a character and not his real name.

He talks about Bernie, socialsim and anarchy. It's an hour and a half video with more references in there. Just one of many like this.
https://youtu.be/4pO9sNNqklw?list=PLZOMlO2_17fvAmEJM_ROXrQNraFmI0gTf&t=221

I'm pretty sure I'm not an anarchist, for the record. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#730  Postby Hermit » Sep 11, 2021 9:19 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Nothing in particular comes to mind.

OK

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#731  Postby The_Piper » Sep 11, 2021 11:32 pm

arugula2 wrote:^ Oh I never thought he doesn't have a thick southern accent, I just pick up on enhancements here and there, randomly. Entirely subjective & the only way I could prove it would be to skim through several hours in different contexts & compare - which might be impossible to do. Idek if other contexts exist. (I'd try it if I could.)

Also, I don't think I know his actual politics. I would assume he's a lefty, but that's neither here nor there, because you can project whatever you want in a 1-man show. Unless he also does unrehearsed conversations with ppl, I think of this as a performance. Kinda like an instagram or facebook diary. I've only seen a few of his (a dozen?) scattered over a couple years... it's comfortably liberal. Could find a lot of liberal talking heads in the mainstream who say what he says (in the handful of vids I've seen of his). Can only infer it from what he chooses to cover & how he frames his argument. Maybe I need to find the right mix of videos, but there's nothing particularly leftist about his content or the framing of it... so far, it seems aimed mainly at beltway liberals & white guilt. (My drive-by critique of how he frames the TX abortion law is minor. If I could latch on to any exception to what I think is his general approach to political commentary, I wouldn't even mention it... just haven't found one yet.)

There's nothing wrong with 'division'. Another way to describe it is 'strongly defending a position', or 'partisan politics'. That these concepts have become a dirty word is most of what's wrong with American politics (and much of what's wrong with liberal politics specifically - it's no wonder standard liberalism is so strong in this country... there's no place left for middle class white people who don't want to be labelled 'racist' but who don't want to see systemic change that affects them). In fact, liberal 'division' is the problem... it's division on superficial grounds, so it's manipulative in the worst sense. The goal of it is to keep people divided in order to avoid change. You'd have a point if that's the division you mean, but it doesn't sound like it. I think the whole point of leftist politics is that there are clear positions over which to demand that the system change. It becomes pretty easy to spot 'liberal' from 'leftist' positions - you just follow the money. American liberals hide in leftist jargon but never concede the need for tax hikes, universal housing/healthcare/education, various forms of financial reparations, and a scaling back of the military & police state. All of that costs them money. It's possible Beau is all for these thing$, and I can quickly be convinced of it.

Not sure who the other person is you're referring to, I'll assume it's Greenwald, let me know if I'm wrong. The contrast is unnecessary. Also, it's illogical... you suggest Beau's decor & affect are consciously intended to draw in conservatives in order to expose them to radical left views, but Greenwald's mere presence on a right-wing talk show somehow doesn't do that. (I think he avoids political labels for himself. He calls himself a civil libertarian iirc... a bit like how Chomsky stops at "anarchist"... it's a conscious distancing from political parties, one for journalistic reasons, the other academic.) Also, you might be unaware of his career, if you don't see 'accomplishments' for "the little guy". Lula is free largely because of Greenwald. Lula & his party presided over maybe the biggest uplift of people out of poverty in the last 40 years, outside of China. Millions of people, including millions of children, have not gone to bed hungry in the past decade, have had regular schooling for the first time in generations, have been able to travel & do commerce, and live with dignity because of the PT's policies... then a liberal soft coup happened (backed by our government, and funded by American conservatives and libs alike) specifically to put those people back into poverty. Greenwald almost single-handedly exposed it, forcing the Brasilian supreme court to release Lula. He's poised to return to politics next year & undo the damage. I don't think I can point to any journalist/pundit/politician in this country who's done a tiny fraction of that much good for "the little guy" in a lifetime, much less in a single project. Can you?

There's also Snowden's revelations about government abuse of power (over you, me and everyone we know). Snowden's determined to keep the abuses in the spotlight, while facing a life sentence (he's even willing to face trial if it is a public trial & not a secret spy trial... that's for our benefit). Greenwald is still his biggest advocate afaik. There's also Assange, who exposed our government's war crimes and dirty politics (including the rigging of Bernie's campaign in 2016, which is half of why liberals want to see him imprisoned... the other half being the military-CIA graft they're waist-deep in). Greenwald is still his biggest advocate afaik. No liberal network wants to expose Americans to Snowden & Assange and related topics about press freedom/free speech, the surveillance state, and war crimes... and neither does Fox News afaik, meaning the talk show has enough pull within the network to force that kind of exposure. There are literally billions of "little guy" people who stand to benefit from that exposure. It's amazing to me that anyone has to point this out.
No I meant Jimmy Dore. I wasn't even planning on contrasting Beau to anyone at the end of the post, but my fingers kept typing. :lol:
"American liberals hide in leftist jargon but never concede the need for tax hikes, universal housing/healthcare/education, various forms of financial reparations, and a scaling back of the military & police state. All of that costs them money. It's possible Beau is all for these thing$, and I can quickly be convinced of it.
Beau is for all of those things. Funny, according to him those things don't make you a leftist.(if you click the link that I left above it goes right to that part of his Q&A) According to him I wouldn't be a leftist unless I wanted workers to seize the means of production, however that works. I don't know if I want that or not, I don't know what it means yet. I'm pro-union if that means anything.
I didn't say he is attempting to open conservatives up to radical left views. I think he's attempting to open them up to regular reasonable views. That's generally who he's speaking to in many of his videos.
You are right about it being an act, and about his accent. Beau is just a character, I didn't know that.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#732  Postby Hermit » Sep 12, 2021 7:36 am

We should have agreed on the meaning of "liberal" and "left" before we discuss who is what. Both can be seen from various distinct, yet usually intertwined aspects (philosophical, political, social and economic). They also changed over time, becoming increasingly complex in the process.

The concept of liberalism was born in the Age of Enlightenment. Fundamentally, it was a movement that finished up replacing the rule of monarchs via divine right with the rule of human individuals who made rules as a group. "The Left" was a label originally given to members of the French Assembly who opposed unlimited monarchism. They were bestowed with it by virtue of sitting to the left of the chair. Supporters of King Louis XVI sat to the right.

The meaning of each term was of course way more complicated, but I think looking at their history can be helpful.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#733  Postby The_Piper » Sep 12, 2021 8:11 am

I was going around calling myself a liberal because I'm liberal in life, but if Nancy Pelosi, Biden, Morning Joe, James Carville are liberals I'm probably not in that group. :lol: :lol:

Just to wrap up the Beau being left-left tangent, here's him talking about left things.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#734  Postby chango369 » Sep 18, 2021 2:35 pm

Source tweet: https://twitter.com/ProfMMurray/status/ ... 34/photo/2

sc1.jpg
sc1.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 866 times

sc2.jpg
sc2.jpg (222.08 KiB) Viewed 866 times

sc3.jpg
sc3.jpg (243.93 KiB) Viewed 866 times
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#735  Postby chango369 » Dec 12, 2021 11:30 pm

rep16.jpg
rep16.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 607 times
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#736  Postby scott1328 » Jan 13, 2022 8:23 pm

The Trump appointed court overturns OSHA's vaccine mandate
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/supreme ... dates.html
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#737  Postby Alan C » Jan 14, 2022 3:18 am

:picard:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#738  Postby The_Piper » Jan 14, 2022 4:13 am

Memba in the 2016 race when Dimmy Jore said the supreme court isn't important? Don't listen to anything Dimmy Jore says. He's dumb, and a liar.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#739  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 26, 2022 8:54 pm

at least Breyer is smart enough to retire while chances are good he‘ll get a like replacement.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#740  Postby scott1328 » Jan 26, 2022 9:04 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:at least Breyer is smart enough to retire while chances are good he‘ll get a like replacement.

I have precisely 0 confidence that the democrats in congress can even accomplish this shoe-in appointment.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs