Supreme Court Watch

Formerly Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire. Goodbye Roe v Wade, Obergefell

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Anthony Kennedy: US supreme court justice to retire

#81  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Wishful thinking lak? Trump is reaching the "can do no wrong plateau" in dictatorship advance. He can say do anything and his morons believe him. Who is going to stop him?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby laklak » Jul 03, 2018 2:13 pm

I don't think so, he's only got a 1 seat margin in the Senate, and at least 4 Republican Senators have said they won't support an anti-abortion candidate. He needs to get this through before the mid-term elections, in case the Dems take control of the Senate. I think the Blue Wave is over-hyped, but the GOP still stands a very real chance of losing the Senate. The key is finding someone liberal enough to support R-v-W but conservative enough to appeal to the mouth-breathers. Not an easy task.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Macdoc » Jul 03, 2018 2:58 pm

I really don't understand why they would not wait tho maybe they do see the Blue Wave which tho was fading a bit is very likely highly energized now with RW at risk.

I find it interesting the internal fracturing of the Democrats....dinosaurs like Pelosi need to be shunted to caves in the back and told to shut the fuck up.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm

laklak wrote:I don't think so, he's only got a 1 seat margin in the Senate, and at least 4 Republican Senators have said they won't support an anti-abortion candidate. He needs to get this through before the mid-term elections, in case the Dems take control of the Senate. I think the Blue Wave is over-hyped, but the GOP still stands a very real chance of losing the Senate. The key is finding someone liberal enough to support R-v-W but conservative enough to appeal to the mouth-breathers. Not an easy task.

Basically lak I agree with you but it does not fit into Trump's goals. He will continue to lie and lie. If his selection is rejected he will create more chaos. I hope the mid-terms will be as fair as possible. Do you have to separately register for them?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#85  Postby laklak » Jul 03, 2018 6:24 pm

No need to re-register, once you're on the voting roll you stay there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Alan C » Jul 03, 2018 10:27 pm

laklak wrote:No need to re-register, once you're on the voting roll you stay there.

Unless you live in Ohio it seems :eh:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... urt-ruling
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Seabass » Jul 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Alan C wrote:
laklak wrote:No need to re-register, once you're on the voting roll you stay there.

And of course, many red states plan to follow suit.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby willhud9 » Jul 04, 2018 12:00 am

Macdoc wrote:I really don't understand why they would not wait tho maybe they do see the Blue Wave which tho was fading a bit is very likely highly energized now with RW at risk.

I find it interesting the internal fracturing of the Democrats....dinosaurs like Pelosi need to be shunted to caves in the back and told to shut the fuck up.

Pelosi is very popular among her constituents :scratch:

Perhaps you aren’t familiar with how the House of Representatives works but she doesn’t have to be appealing to the Democratic Party across the country, just her district in California, which happens to include most of San Francisco.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby laklak » Jul 04, 2018 3:22 am

She gets a lot of exposure because she's minority leader, but still is only elected by her constituents.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 04, 2018 8:52 am

Seabass wrote:
Alan C wrote:

And of course, many red states plan to follow suit.

A great piece of gerrymandering again. They will stop at nothing. Now with a little help from their Russian friends they should swing it.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#91  Postby chango369 » Jul 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Here's a little insight into Trump's SCOTUS nominee, Brett Kavanaugh. Not only is he dismissive of stare decisis, he'd make the appointing of an independent counsel unconstitutional.

Judge Brett Kavanaugh two years ago expressed his desire to overturn a three-decade-old Supreme Court ruling upholding the constitutionality of an independent counsel, a comment bound to get renewed scrutiny in his confirmation proceedings to sit on the high court.

Speaking to a conservative group in 2016, Kavanaugh bluntly said he wanted to "put the final nail" in a 1988 Supreme Court ruling. That decision, known as Morrison v. Olson, upheld the constitutionality of provisions creating an independent counsel under the 1978 Ethics in Government Act -- the same statute under which Ken Starr, for whom Kavanaugh worked, investigated President Bill Clinton. The law expired in 1999, when it was replaced by the more modest Justice Department regulation that governs special counsels like Robert Mueller.

Trump Supreme Court pick: I would 'put the nail' in ruling upholding independent counsel
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Macdoc » Jul 19, 2018 2:14 am

but she doesn’t have to be appealing to the Democratic Party across the country, just her district in California,

they don't vote for her as Speaker or Minority Leader....she is only their Rep
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#93  Postby willhud9 » Jul 19, 2018 3:19 am

Sure and the roles of a Speaker or Minority Leader are by and by procedural.

Furthermore, I feel like the opposition to Pelosi is more emotional than logical. She is a pretty darn good politician.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Macdoc » Jul 19, 2018 4:30 am

Sure ...what was the confidence level in Congress even when Obama was around 3%.

They keep her around for her fund raising.

snip

What’s more, Pelosi is still a driving force for the Republican Party — in a bad way for Democrats. In the most recent special election in Georgia last Tuesday, Republican Karen Handel put out a slew of ads featuring Pelosi, not her opponent, Jon Ossoff. She made the case that if the Democrat won in the 6th District of Georgia, Pelosi would really be running the show. Handel won handily.

The GOP plans to run directly at Pelosi in 2018, tying House candidates to the Democratic leader. “This midterm is going to be a referendum on Nancy Pelosi and her San Francisco liberal values. That’s what the elections are going to be about. We saw a little glimpse of that on Tuesday,” Congressional Leadership Fund Executive Director Corry Bliss told The Hill.

So, for Republicans, Pelosi sticking around to fight is good news.

For America, not so much.

good read

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... o-pasture/
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Seabass » Jul 19, 2018 5:14 am

I might consider reading it if Washington Times wasn't owned by the Moonies and almost as nutty as Fox News and if the author of the article wasn't a Trump worshiper.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby willhud9 » Jul 19, 2018 5:19 am

That article is a load of crock. That district in Georgia is historically republican and the race is not considered close by many metrics.

Congressional approval is always low, and yet Pelosi enjoys high scores among her constituents I.e liberal democrats.

Removing her from the ticket to place another liberal democrat isn’t going to change things. The GOP will still attack them.

Pelosi secures the base Democrat vote. Liberals will vote for her. If progressives won’t then they are stupid and are essentially shooting themselves in the foot.

And again opposition to her makes no sense. Her positions on many issues line up with left wing politics quite well. She is a boon for liberals.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jul 24, 2018 2:39 am

Pelosi seems like the crazy schoolteacher that always scared you a little bit. The democrats have many of that type. It works against the party as a whole, and as the top house democrat Pelosi has more influence than just her own district.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Animavore » Aug 26, 2018 6:41 am

Never understand the attacks on Pelosi. I've not seen any videos which make me think she's a loon.

Anyway, apparently this.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#99  Postby chango369 » Sep 06, 2018 7:36 am

Worth watching.

Last edited by chango369 on Sep 06, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#100  Postby felltoearth » Sep 06, 2018 10:25 am

chango369 wrote:Worth watching.

Fixed tags so I can see it on Tapatalk.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism