Syria war pause plan agreed by world powers

The start of peace

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Syria war pause plan agreed by world powers

#41  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm

tuco wrote:For him its not about staying in power no more, but keeping freedom and life style.

I think that is the same miscalculation the West has made. It was assumed Assad would be open to some deal where he left power and got off without having to stand trial for human rights violations, and maybe have a luxury retirement in a safe country. But I think Assad really is determined to stay in power. If not, he would have made a deal years ago when it seemed he would either be attacked by the West or overrun by rebel forces like Ghaddaffi.

I have some kind of respect for that. He is still a murdering tyrant though.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#42  Postby tuco » Apr 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Syria conflict: Rebels vow retaliatory attacks against government

A statement announced the formation of a joint operations room following what it said was an increase in attacks on residential areas and displaced people.
Rebels were said to have subsequently launched attacks in the province of Latakia and in neighbouring Hama.
Meanwhile, the Syrian opposition delegation in Geneva said it intended to suspend formal peace talks.
[snip]
Analysis by Lyse Doucet, BBC Chief International Correspondent
[snip]
The opposition is now accusing the UN of bias after Mr de Mistura floated a proposal to allow Syria's President Assad to remain in office, in a ceremonial role.
I've heard that idea in recent months from Russian and Iranian sources. But Syrian opposition groups have flatly rejected it - their Western backers are urging them not to walk out but it is becoming increasingly clear that these talks are not going anywhere.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36071608

----

Can you believe this shit? You can.

The negotiators should be locked up until they reach consensus. That's it. You sit here and deal because you have fucking responsibility. If talks are not going anywhere gotta listen to the arbiter.

Medecins Sans Frontieres warned on Monday that the situation was now critical for more than 100,000 displaced people trapped around Azaz, with active fighting just 7km (four miles) away and the border closed for all but the most seriously ill Syrians.
tuco

Print view this post

#43  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2016 6:32 pm

With Syria back in the news lets see cool map

http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/fr/map/des ... 573/37.441

http://www.agathocledesyracuse.com/

World powers seem to have world problems.
tuco

Print view this post

#44  Postby aliihsanasl » Jul 28, 2016 7:22 pm

With Turkey 's changing side this fire in Syria will fade away in a few months I believe.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#45  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2016 7:39 pm

You mean that rebels and IS will be defeated, respectively will lose their land holdings?
tuco

Print view this post

#46  Postby aliihsanasl » Jul 28, 2016 8:34 pm

They were already losing land before the last events in Turkey. Documents found among detained soldiers after the coup attempt are amazing tuco. There are plans to open a secondary base to USA near the Syria border, list of journalists to use in PR work to prepare society for a battle between Syria and Turkey.

We just didnt prevented a coup probably prevented involving a war and maybe changed the fate of Syria.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#47  Postby tuco » Oct 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Interview

SYRIA’S “VOICE OF CONSCIENCE” HAS A MESSAGE FOR THE WEST

[snip]

I am a secularist and a nonbeliever, an atheist. But I don’t find it democratic to fight against ISIS while being Islamophobic, while hating Muslims and expressing suspicion toward them, and at the same time stating that you don’t want any political role at all for Islamists! This is extremism, it is an extremist position, and it is what reactionary Islamic extremism is built on. When you refuse to accept the moderate groups, practically speaking you are supporting the extremists.

[snip]

There is a growing convergence between the views of fascists and the far-left about Syria and other issues. The reason for this is that perspectives on the left are outdated. They are interested in high-politics, not grassroots struggles. They are dealing with grand ideologies and historical narratives, but they don’t see people — the Syrian people aren’t represented. They are holding on to depopulated discourses that don’t represent human struggle, life, and death.

[snip]

Ultimately, it is not a matter of intervention against Assad. It is a matter of helping Syrians to regain ownership of their country and to hold the criminals accountable. ISIS is not that big of a monster. It can be easily defeated. Many of us are people from Raqqa [ISIS’s capital], scattered around the world, and we are all ready to go and fight them. But we are not ready to go back to slavery under Bashar al-Assad. This is a clique and junta that killed and tortured on an industrial scale. Under international law, it is meant to be held accountable. This is not something that we are inventing. We don’t ask Obama or Hollande to come solve our problems. International law was breached several times, and those who did this should be held accountable. We have a special tribunal at The Hague and Bashar al-Assad should be referred there.

[snip]

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/26/syr ... interview/
tuco

Print view this post

#48  Postby tuco » Feb 10, 2017 10:00 pm

A sarcastic response to Syria's militants

It takes a special kind of person to run a radio station in an area controlled by Islamist militants in northern Syria. Music is forbidden, so are women presenters. But Raed Fares - manager of Radio Fresh FM - has come up with a creative response to the militants' demands.

[snip]

"They tried to force us to stop playing music on air," says Fares. "So we started to play animals in the background as a kind of sarcastic gesture against them."
In what appear to be further acts of sarcastic sabotage aimed at JFS's ban on music, Radio Fresh FM has introduced long sequences of bongs from London's Big Ben clock, endless ticking sounds, ringing explosions and the whistle of shells flying through the air.
And instead of songs with melodies, the station now plays recordings of tuneless chanting football fans.

[snip]

Humour, it seems, is never far from the surface with Raed Fares. Take his response to another of JFS's demands, to get rid of women news readers - who are also haram, they say.
Has he, I ask him, agreed to swap them for men?
"No, I have another solution for that issue. We simply put their voices through a computer software program which makes them sound like men."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38912958
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs