That Little Faggot Got His Own Jet Airplane! That Little Fag

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Re: That Little Faggot Got His Own Jet Airplane! That Little

#21  Postby Weaver » Jan 15, 2011 1:27 pm

Oh, it's mainly rock stars - but the furniture movers being quoted were using the pejorative "faggot" to mean homosexual.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby virphen » Jan 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Weaver wrote:Oh, it's mainly rock stars - but the furniture movers being quoted were using the pejorative "faggot" to mean homosexual.

And it's the rock stars themselves who are being described as faggots...
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Tyrannical » Jan 15, 2011 1:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)

The singer, or more properly the first-person narrating character, refers to a musician "banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee" and describes a singer as "that little faggot with the earring and the make-up", and bemoans that these artists get "money for nothing and chicks for free".

I think Weaver has wisely chosen to forget some of the more embarrsing aspects of the 80's

Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Weaver » Jan 15, 2011 1:52 pm

No, didn't forget them (but really, did we need such graphic reminders?) - but it's the intent behind the word on the part of the furniture movers which matters.

It's not saying that the rock "stars" of the '80s were homosexual - it's saying the furniture movers ACCUSED the rock "stars" of the '80s of being homosexual.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Tyrannical » Jan 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Weaver wrote:No, didn't forget them (but really, did we need such graphic reminders?) - but it's the intent behind the word on the part of the furniture movers which matters.

It's not saying that the rock "stars" of the '80s were homosexual - it's saying the furniture movers ACCUSED the rock "stars" of the '80s of being homosexual.

But they were pissed that these fagots were getting their chicks for free. As in being mobbed by sexy nubile women :naughty2:
Now if it were dicks for free then I'd say you have a point :think:
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Tollens » Jan 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:I suspect the use of the word fagot is meant as a synonym for "jerk" and not homosexual.

An effeminate jerk with "the earring and the makeup", not just a generic run of the mill jerk.

A mink coat too if I recall correctly.
I always thought that they meant fagot to refer to something like below instead of a gay man.

I guess you could end up with all kinds of killer pictures dressing up in a silly pimp out fit and hitting a strip club on halloween :think:
Somebody who isn't married should try that :ask:

That's obnoxious.

virphen wrote:I think they should change their name to Dire Straights in protest.

:lol:
I had to go to confession one time, because I skipped mass to get tacos and joked about Cheesus.
Tollens

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Weaver » Jan 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
Weaver wrote:No, didn't forget them (but really, did we need such graphic reminders?) - but it's the intent behind the word on the part of the furniture movers which matters.

But they were pissed that these fagots were getting their chicks for free. As in being mobbed by sexy nubile women :naughty2:
Now if it were dicks for free then I'd say you have a point :think:

Do you really think the furniture movers using the pejorative in question were astute enough thinkers to work that one out before they dropped their slurs? Or, for that matter, that the rock "stars" quoting them were?
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby mark1961 » Jan 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Or they were watching a pop video featuring a homosexual rock star. Or talking about one which they'd just seen. Which also apparently featured a "momma" who had "it sticking in the camera". They also commented "hey we could have some fun" presumably referring to the aforementioned "momma". Presumably assorted "mommas" were also a part of pop videos featuring heterosexual and indeed bisexual rock stars in the furniture movers Universe as well. And the aforementioned furniture movers would presumably prefer to be the latter of those.
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Peter Brown » Jan 15, 2011 3:47 pm

Oh I doubt the pop star in the song was gay, more like it would be someone like Jon Bon Jovi. Long hair, good looking and straight, but getting mugged by a couple of females in Newcastle outside The Tube studio for his leather jacket. The furniture movers wouldn’t have been calling Elton John or Freddie Mercury a faggot and they was actually known to be gay back in the 80’s.

Peter Brown

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby mark1961 » Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

So definitely not this guy then?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw[/youtube]

Although I freely admit the "mommas" aren't "sticking it in the camera" quite as much as one would expect from such an enthusiastic description.
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby lordshipmayhem » Jan 15, 2011 5:22 pm

C'mon, CBSC. The song is about the attitude of a jerk appliance salesman, not about the attitude of the singer toward anyone who is gay
"It is not science that is arrogant: science can be defined as ‘humility before the facts’ — it is those who refuse to submit to testing and make unsubstantiated claims that are arrogant. Arrogant and unjust." - Stephen Fry
lordshipmayhem

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby mark1961 » Jan 15, 2011 6:18 pm

The "jerk appliance salesman" had a positive attitude himself towards gay people. To quote verbatim he said "Lemme tell ya them guys ain't dumb" in reference to rock stars. Some of whom are gay and don't mind who know.
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Peter Brown » Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm

mark1961 wrote:So definitely not this guy then?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw[/youtube]

Although I freely admit the "mommas" aren't "sticking it in the camera" quite as much as one would expect from such an enthusiastic description.

I seem to remember most, male and female, thought he was a woman and not gay.
Peter Brown

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby mark1961 » Jan 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Peter Brown wrote:

I seem to remember most, male and female, thought he was a woman and not gay.

I wasn't surprised but first impressions did make me wonder until I knew for sure. That I do admit. Although actual gender was confirmed and possible sexuality was speculated upon widely at the time.

Different times I guess :dunno:
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Shrunk » Jan 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Peter Brown wrote: I seem to remember most, male and female, thought he was a woman and not gay.

Were most people you knew back then brain dead?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby mark1961 » Jan 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Peter Brown wrote: I seem to remember most, male and female, thought he was a woman and not gay.

Mine were. I blame it on the mushy peas in chip shops. Back then they had some weird green dye in them which made them look slightly radioactive or something. Can't think why we all ate them.

Fortunately it wears off in time :dopey:
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Shrunk » Jan 15, 2011 7:57 pm

mark1961 wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Mine were. I blame it on the mushy peas in chip shops. Back then they had some weird green dye in them which made them look slightly radioactive or something. Can't think why we all ate them.

Fortunately it wears off in time :dopey:

Well, to be honest, I can't honestly say we were much better off. I remember endless debates in grade school over whether any of the Village People were gay....
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby j.mills » Jan 15, 2011 8:06 pm

:shock: Who would have thought that Dire Straits' music would be ever be controversial, outside of the NME?! Especially a song from a quarter-century ago!

Presumably the "problem" with the word "faggot" will also rule out play of Fairy Tale of New York...
WordsVoiceTogs

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby virphen » Jan 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I'd hate to see what they'd do with:

Just another nigger
A spooky piece of white trash,
Just another jewboy, spic, mick, yid, raghead motherfucker
Living on the planet

Take a few words or phrases out of context and they'd be grossly offensive, but reading them in context is something else completely. Unless you're only able to take things literally, like the prat who made the complaint about Money for Nothing and the morons who sustained it.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby mark1961 » Jan 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Fairy Snow wash powder. Now there's a thing. You might get put up against a wall and shot if you try and smuggle a travel box of that in your hand luggage.

Gay pejorative and a drug reference. Two for the price of one! Well at least it'll get their glassware nice and sparkly clean when they send off samples for testing.
mark1961

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs