"The always-excellent Tucker Carlson"

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re:

#341  Postby Mike_L » Apr 06, 2021 8:57 pm

felltoearth wrote:Wow. Groundhog Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You probably think that Canada is safe from Tucker. But nowhere is safe from Tucker...

Trudeau warns against 'internment camp' disinformation (Oct 2020)

A few months later...

Tucker: Canada sending COVID positive travelers to 'internment' facilities (Apr 2021)

Excerpts from the text transcript:
What if your next-door neighbor suddenly went dangerously insane and started holding people hostage in his house? Would you consider that threatening? Would you even notice? These aren’t theoretical questions. Something very much like that just happened in our neighborhood.

Canada — the land mass directly to our north and our single largest trading partner, with whom we share the longest international border in the world — took a dramatic move toward legitimately dangerous authoritarianism. Yes, Canada.

On Monday, the country’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, outlined his government’s new corona regulations. Canadians hoping to return to their country must be tested before and after takeoff, he said, adding: "If your test results come back positive, you’ll need to immediately quarantine in designated government facilities. This is not optional."

"Designated government facilities." When this happens in other countries, and it does, we call those internment camps. Because this is Canada we’re talking about, a place we assume is passive and polite and Anglo to the point of parody, no one thinks to use that term.

This is Justin Trudeau’s Canada. It’s funny, Trudeau always seemed like a cheerful idiot, wearing weird costumes and yammering on about diversity. Who knew he was Mussolini? There might be a lesson here for other nations led by shallow, neoliberal empty suits. Underneath all the chirpy identity politics talk, it’s not a joke. It’s interment cells.

In Canada, where everything has a euphemism, those cells are referred to as "approved quarantine hotels." What are they like? Well, as noted, they’re internment cells. What do you think they’re like? There are shortages of food and water. You could be sexually assaulted. A member of the Canadian Parliament explained what they’re like.
CANADIAN MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT MICHELLE REMPEL: The Liberals instituted a federal hotel quarantine requirement for those entering Canada. We have heard reports that it is taking hours to get through to book these hotels, dietary restrictions are not being met, and food and water are not always readily available. That’s in addition to this program continuing after reports of sexual assault. This is mind-boggling.

Oh, the Liberals did this. It’s not very liberal to intern people, is it?

According to a report in The Post Millennial, doors in many of the internment facilities don’t lock. Detainees have no way to protect themselves while they sleep, hence the sexual assault. They also don't have access to medical care. In one case, Canadian authorities detained a man with diabetes called Ray Truesdale. What was his crime? Flying from Tennessee to Toronto on a business trip. As he waited in confinement for his coronavirus test results, his jailers forgot to feed him for more than twenty-four hours. Ultimately Truesdale left his cell and went downstairs in search of something to eat.

There, he found others who were being held without food. "They were screaming," he said. In the end, Canadian authorities informed Truesdale that his coronavirus sample had been damaged, so he had to remain in internment.

Just don’t call it jail. That’s an order, directly from Canadian state media. This past fall, the CBC ran a story with this headline: "PM, health officials warn Canadians against believing COVID-19 'internment camps' disinformation."

Warn them against believing – sound familiar?

That claim, that conspiracy theory, said CBC, "that the federal government is preparing to forcibly intern Canadians is patently false." The CBC assured Canadians that the government was preparing "voluntary quarantine sites." Yes, voluntary in the sense of being mandatory, which is what they are.

We do know, and this is significant, that Canada has fallen far behind other advanced nations in distributing the vaccine, which is interesting considering the decades of propaganda all of us here have been subject to about the glories of the Canadian healthcare system. According to Andrea Taylor, a researcher at Duke's Global Health Innovation Center, Canada "had more faith in the global supply chain than other countries."

Oh, they believed the whole globalism thing worked. That turned out to be a mistake. But rather than admit that globalist stupidity is the problem, Justin Trudeau decided to punish his own citizens. It’s his fault, and the population gets punished. Recognize that impulse? It should, because neoliberalism is always the same, no matter where you find it.

Back in November, Justin Trudeau admitted what's going on. It’s not about stopping the coronavirus and saving lives. No. This pandemic, he said, is an opportunity to permanently change Western civilization:

TRUDEAU: This pandemic has provided an opportunity for a reset. This is our chance to accelerate our pre-pandemic efforts to reimagine economic systems that actual address global challenges like extreme poverty, inequality, and climate change.

We don’t want to give Justin Trudeau too much credit. He may be sinister, but he’s not smart. He didn't think that phrase up. He took it from his role models in this country. At a forum hosted by the World Economic Forum in mid-November, John Kerry -- our new climate czar -- laid it out.

"Yes, it [the Great Reset] will happen," Kerry said, "and I think it will happen with greater speed and with greater intensity than a lot of people might imagine. In effect, the citizens of the United States have just done a Great Reset. We’ve done a Great Reset. And it was a record level of voting. We’re at the dawn of an extremely exciting time."

Has it been extremely exciting for you? Has it been extremely exciting for most Americans as the people in charge mismanage this country all the way to the brink? No, it probably hasn’t been. It’s been a sad time for most people.
For power-mad leaders hoping to eliminate centuries of constitutional restraints on their own ambitions, it is indeed an exciting time.

Full text at:
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-covid-internment-camps-coming-country-near-you
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: "The always-excellent Tucker Carlson"

#342  Postby felltoearth » Apr 06, 2021 9:36 pm

It’s called quarantine, Tucker, you fuck face.

Also, somehow my brother from Florida was able to travel to Canada and attend my mom’s funeral and fly back within five days.

Wow, what an awful authoritarian social democracy Communist State I live in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#343  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 06, 2021 10:45 pm

Mike watching Cucker:

"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#344  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 07, 2021 4:27 am

The amount of euphemisms and code words in those excerpts above show how much prior training is needed before you can take people like Carlson seriously.

One glaring example:

a place we assume is passive and polite and Anglo to the point of parody

What is 'Anglo'? And why do I hear dogs barking?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#345  Postby Mike_L » Apr 07, 2021 6:02 am

Spearthrower wrote:...

Well, from the same transcript...

What’s so interesting is that Canada’s new rules apply only to COVID patients. Other transmissible diseases are exempt. People with AIDS aren’t being sent to internment facilities, thank God. No one’s tried that since Fidel Castro in the 1980s. Drug-resistant tuberculosis is fine too. That’s a real problem, but not in Canada. Only COVID, a disease with a 98% survival rate.

Weirdly, and you may recognize this as well, at the same they’ve clamped down on travel by citizens, the Canadian government has announced plans to admit 400,000 new permanent residents from other countries over the next eight months. Sound familiar? And by the way, that number will increase substantially in the next two years. None of these immigrants from the Third World will be forcibly quarantined in Canada. We’re not calling for them to be, but the difference is interesting. They won't be arrested, in fact, they’ll be rewarded, because they’re not citizens. Only the citizens are punished.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-covid-internment-camps-coming-country-near-you
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#346  Postby Hermit » Apr 07, 2021 7:16 am

Mike_L wrote:

[color=#000080]...
What’s so interesting is that Canada’s new rules apply only to COVID patients. Other transmissible diseases are exempt.

Only if you ignore the fact that other transmissible diseases are not spread by speaking, coughing and sneezing, and none of them have killed as many people in a twelve month period for decades.

What’s so interesting is that Carlson is so blatantly dishonest in not mentioning the differences between Covid-19 and other transmissible diseases. He must have known about them, but I guess his audience is easily fooled, so he hooks them in with this this cheap trick.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#347  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 07, 2021 11:08 am

Mike_L wrote:

What’s so interesting is that Canada’s new rules apply only to COVID patients. Other transmissible diseases are exempt. People with AIDS aren’t being sent to internment facilities, thank God. No one’s tried that since Fidel Castro in the 1980s. Drug-resistant tuberculosis is fine too. That’s a real problem, but not in Canada. Only COVID, a disease with a 98% survival rate.

Weirdly, and you may recognize this as well, at the same they’ve clamped down on travel by citizens, the Canadian government has announced plans to admit 400,000 new permanent residents from other countries over the next eight months. Sound familiar? And by the way, that number will increase substantially in the next two years. None of these immigrants from the Third World will be forcibly quarantined in Canada. We’re not calling for them to be, but the difference is interesting. They won't be arrested, in fact, they’ll be rewarded, because they’re not citizens. Only the citizens are punished.

I can find no sense in which your post is an actual reply to the post you quoted.

Sure, what you posted contains a whole lot more exposure of Carlson's abject fucking ignorance and his role in outright disinformation which is his true brand, but none of this has anything to do with what 'Anglo' is meant to indicate.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#348  Postby Mike_L » Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am

It goes back to your last sentence...

Spearthrower wrote:The amount of euphemisms and code words in those excerpts above show how much prior training is needed before you can take people like Carlson seriously.

One glaring example:

I was focusing on "dogs barking", and took it as a reference to Carlson setting off the dogs (his fanbase) with "dog whistle" language. (As per Google: "a subtly aimed political message which is intended for, and can only be understood by, a particular demographic group".)
The additional excerpt would then have affirmed the notion that he's using "dog whistles".
But if that's not what you meant by, "Why do I hear dogs barking?", then it's not applicable, and the additional excerpt is superfluous.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#349  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 07, 2021 1:13 pm

Is it just me, but does anyone else think Tucker's default expression looks like a man experiencing existential angst at seeing a potato in the fruit aisle?

(I suspect it's wrong, but I just can't take any of the Fox News plastic conservative talking points glove puppets seriously. Consequently no "serious" discussion of them is possible).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#350  Postby newolder » Apr 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Lawyers representing this guy argued in court that only a moron would believe anything he reports during his "for entertainment only" TV appearances.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#351  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Just saw a link to Cucker's morning show on YouTube ("Can't wait till the evening to be told what to think?") featuring the first interview Piers Morgan has given since he cancelled himself for those sweet, sweet conservative clicks :lol: I'll be surprised if he didn't end up doing a live reading of Cat In The Hat with that well-cultivated look of faux outrage on his face.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#352  Postby The_Piper » Apr 07, 2021 3:48 pm

The line at Fox was that Morgan was cancelled, first amendment violated, blah blah. I think it was Tucker saying that. They have a new late night comedy show with Greg Gutfeld. I saw a short clip of the beginning on a different program. It's not looking good for them.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#353  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 08, 2021 12:35 am

Fortunately for them, conservatives have no idea what comedy is. How many times can you tell the same joke? "Hurrr durrr, I identify as an attack helicopter!"
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#354  Postby The_Piper » Apr 08, 2021 2:41 am

Right? It opened with "Brian Williams" reporting from Mars, having been dropped there by a helicopter. Obviously referring to that time he made up a story about being under fire in a chopper iirc. That was kind of a long time ago. That was what they opened with. That would only be marginally funny at best if it was run the day after the scandal. Pathetic. :lol: :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#355  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 08, 2021 5:53 am

The_Piper wrote:The line at Fox was that Morgan was cancelled, first amendment violated, blah blah. I think it was Tucker saying that.

Aside from the fact that he voluntarily walked off in the middle of doing his job (something that would get most people fired), it's pretty funny the number of Americans that think that their constitutional rights apply in other countries.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#356  Postby Mike_L » Apr 08, 2021 12:23 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Fortunately for them, conservatives have no idea what comedy is. How many times can you tell the same joke? "Hurrr durrr, I identify as an attack helicopter!"

I heartily endorse the subtle, sophisticated humor exhibited in this 3-minute video...

(On-topic for the thread, if only because Tucker is one of the founders of The Daily Caller).

:leaving:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#357  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 08, 2021 12:38 pm

I do really love that they need doctored and heavily edited videos to make Biden look bad, whereas all you need is any video of Trump at any time to make him look senile and stupid :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Animavore » Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

United Airlines Announces Diversity Push. Tucker Carlson Says It Will 'Get People Killed' Because Apparently, Only White Men Can Fly Planes

https://www.theroot.com/united-airlines ... XLYJpXs2Cw

Piers Morgan gets a mention here too.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#359  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 09, 2021 11:22 am

People with AIDS can use a condom. If they don't and fail to tell their sexual partners, they can be criminally charged with non-disclosure.

If anything, the way we treat people with HIV is far harsher than the way we treat people with COVID-19.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#360  Postby Seabass » Apr 10, 2021 7:32 am

Tucker has openly gone full replacement theory. He defended it, by name. This is the most-watched "news" show on the most watched "news" network in the US, and the host is openly spreading and endorsing a white-supremacist conspiracy theory.

Tucker Carlson Endorses White Supremacist Theory by Name

Jewish Groups Blast Carlson for Openly Endorsing White Supremacist Theory: ‘Tucker Must Go’
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs