The Australian Parliament Passes Marriage Equality

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Australian Parliament Passes Marriage Equality

#21  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 10:02 am

johnbrandt wrote:I thought the "tolerant and loving" left and activist groups promised people could still keep their own beliefs?

Of course they can, johnbrandt. But what counts is action. Believe what you want; just don't do shitty things. That's the way the 97% operate. Maybe even a higher percentage.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Animavore » Dec 11, 2017 11:02 am

johnbrandt wrote:
My own son is a prime example...he's gay, big deal, we could care less, we still love him and his amazing partner. However, he and his partner went to get some photos taken, and the woman refused as she said she didn't approve of homosexuality for religious reasons. instead of shrugging and going to one of the hundred other photographers around the town, they went straight to the local TV station and newspapers and got onto social media, and started a campaign against the woman. After hounding from the local TV and paper and some quite nasty and threatening anger on social media on the womans business page, she shut down her business and gave it away. They then went and got the pictures taken somewhere else.
My son is quite proud of this.

This should be easy enough to understand if you exchage the underlined bit for "Jews" or "Aborigines".

From here you've 3 main choices -

1. See the light.
2. Trip yourself up trying to argue the case of homosexuality is somehow different.
3. Disturbingly try to argue that people should be free to serve or not based on their personal, religious prejudices.

Ball's in your court.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Matt_B » Dec 11, 2017 11:49 am

Regarding the wording of the question, I'd think that it could be reasonably assumed that if Tony Abbott had had anything to do with it, it would be every bit as ambiguous and overreaching as his campaign tried to pretend that it was.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#24  Postby aban57 » Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm

So when is the divorce planned ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Tracer Tong » Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Animavore wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:
My own son is a prime example...he's gay, big deal, we could care less, we still love him and his amazing partner. However, he and his partner went to get some photos taken, and the woman refused as she said she didn't approve of homosexuality for religious reasons. instead of shrugging and going to one of the hundred other photographers around the town, they went straight to the local TV station and newspapers and got onto social media, and started a campaign against the woman. After hounding from the local TV and paper and some quite nasty and threatening anger on social media on the womans business page, she shut down her business and gave it away. They then went and got the pictures taken somewhere else.

This should be easy enough to understand if you exchage the underlined bit for "Jews" or "Aborigines".

1. See the light.
2. Trip yourself up trying to argue the case of homosexuality is somehow different.
3. Disturbingly try to argue that people should be free to serve or not based on their personal, religious prejudices.

Ball's in your court.

What’s so disturbing about that?
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#26  Postby aban57 » Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:

1. See the light.

Ball's in your court.

What's not ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:

What's so compelling in assertions catering to the sanctity of people's religious prejudices? The status quo? Upsetting the status quo is disturbing to some people, I guess. People who know "the way it's s'posed to be".

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Animavore » Dec 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:

1. See the light.

Ball's in your court.

There's a possible slippery slope when the government starts allowing people discriminate based on their own whims towards state-sponsered discrimination. See Germany pre-WW2 for details.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Tracer Tong » Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Animavore wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:

1. See the light.

Ball's in your court.

There's a possible slippery slope when the government starts allowing people discriminate based on their own whims towards state-sponsered discrimination. See Germany pre-WW2 for details.

I don't really know what you mean by "discriminate...towards state-sponsored discrimination". It also seems odd to characterise religious convictions as "whims".
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Animavore » Dec 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:

1. See the light.

Ball's in your court.

I don't really know what you mean by "discriminate...towards state-sponsored discrimination". It also seems odd to characterise religious convictions as "whims".

If it seems odd then you may not be aware of 30,000 + sects of Christianity.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Shrunk » Dec 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:I don't really know what you mean by "discriminate...towards state-sponsored discrimination". It also seems odd to characterise religious convictions as "whims".

Yes, there is a time-honoured tradition to treat irrational personal beliefs based on religious doctrine and dogma as somehow more deserving of state protection than irrational beliefs arising from non-religious sources of irrationality. Someone who refuses service to a gay or black or Jewish customer because of a sincere and deeply held attitude that he'd rather not serve them is automatically slapped with the appropriate sanctions, no debate needed. But if he does so as a result of a sincere and deeply held belief that it is against his religion, suddenly complex legal and ethical questions are invoked that must first be resolved.

The difference, strangely enough, exists because religion is itself one of those personal characteristics that are often the target of hatred and discrimination. So the paradox arises in which religious folks weaponize the legislation that is meant to protect them from demonstration into something that will allow them to discriminate against others. They're not always as dumb as they seem.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Tracer Tong » Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Animavore wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:

If it seems odd then you may not be aware of 30,000 + sects of Christianity.

I don’t really know how this relates to what I said, but in any case this speculation is mistaken.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:I don’t really know how this relates to what I said, but in any case this speculation is mistaken.

What you have implied is that the decision not to accommodate somebody on the pretense that it violates religious convictions is not the result of a whim. Sure, it might not be, but how might it not be simply a whim? You might be stuck arguing that religious convictions are the same as religious doctrine, or you might be stuck arguing that such a decision is not from a whim. If you're not stuck with either of those, you have yet to describe just what it is you're stuck with.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Tracer Tong » Dec 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:I don’t really know how this relates to what I said, but in any case this speculation is mistaken.

What you have implied is that the decision not to accommodate somebody on the pretense that it violates religious convictions is not the result of a whim. Sure, it might not be, but how might it not be simply a whim? You might be stuck arguing that religious convictions are the same as religious doctrine, or you might be stuck arguing that such a decision is not from a whim. If you're not stuck with either of those, you have yet to describe just what it is you're stuck with.

I've not implied that, since I've not been talking about people pretending they've religious convictions.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I've not implied that, since I've not been talking about people pretending they've religious convictions.

Well, we can let that go, then, can't we, because you've not really been talking about much of anything. You inquired as to why some attitude or argument should be considered disturbing. I think you might be on the right track there, but with you, it's never really clear what track you're on. Perhaps you'd be better off just challenging a flesh-and-blood human to a chess match. Barring that, you can just go play with yourself.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Tracer Tong » Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Well, we can let that go, then, can't we? I sure can. You inquired as to why some attitude or argument should be considered disturbing. I think you might be on the right track there, but with you, it's never really clear what track you're on.

I think I might be on the right track, too. But perhaps we'll only find out once an answer is forthcoming.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Perhaps you'd be better off just challenging a flesh-and-blood human to a chess match. Barring that, you can just go play with yourself.

I challenge you to a chess match!
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Shrunk » Dec 11, 2017 7:06 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:
Animavore wrote:If it seems odd then you may not be aware of 30,000 + sects of Christianity.

I don’t really know how this relates to what I said, but in any case this speculation is mistaken.

With 30,000 flavours to choose from, it seems it should be quite easy to find a version of Christianity that will allow you to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple. Ah, but that would mean violating one's deeply held principles. Which principles would those be, then? Nothing peculiar to Christianity, obviously.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Shrunk » Dec 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Shrunk » Dec 11, 2017 7:35 pm

BTW, when the United Church here in Canada endorsed same sex marriage, there were a number of people who converted to other faiths as a result. Exactly how does that work if one's opposition to gay marriage is purely a reflection of one's religious faith?
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Dec 11, 2017 7:45 pm

My ex's mom switched churches over it. :lol:
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)