The Hollywood Sex Scandal

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Hollywood Sex Scandal

#41  Postby Willie71 » Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm

zulumoose wrote:Sociopath often means intelligent, ambitious, and of course ruthless. No prize for guessing how they end up as CEOs.

Sex pest however, is not as far as I know associated with any traits that can lead to success.

Now the industry, being about glamour and image, and full of the young, pretty and ambitious, lends itself to opportunity for the sex pest, but no connection between that and the rise to power that I know of. Basically the prevalence could be the same as for the general public, just higher chance of opportunity to act on desire.

I worked with sex offenders for 7 years. 75%of offenders fall 8nto date rape scenarios, who don’t fully understand consent, or think they need to win someone over who is pretending to not be interested. Think of all the rapes James Bond committed over the years, or the stalking in romantic comedies. Young girls have to pretend to not like sex to avoid looking like a slut.

Predatory behaviour is rarer, and takes a lifetime to hone. Pedophelia is a body type preference that is outside of societal norms. Preferential same sex pedophelia is the hardest to treat, but can be done.
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Teague » Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm

The_Piper wrote:Louis CK admitted guilt and apologized now.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/entertainment/louis-ck-apology/index.html

One of the criticisms I heard was that he never actually said sorry. Another note is that he's only addmitting it now it's come to light whereas only a few months ago he was calling these all "rumors"
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby proudfootz » Nov 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Apparently Louis had no idea this was happening until people mentioned it to him.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Teague » Nov 13, 2017 4:30 pm

proudfootz wrote:Apparently Louis had no idea this was happening until people mentioned it to him.

In his own film, doesn't he have some guy masturbating in front of women?
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby The_Piper » Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Teague wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Louis CK admitted guilt and apologized now.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/10/entertainment/louis-ck-apology/index.html

One of the criticisms I heard was that he never actually said sorry. Another note is that he's only addmitting it now it's come to light whereas only a few months ago he was calling these all "rumors"

I'm just the messenger. When I posted that it was fresh news.
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Willie71 wrote: Young girls have to pretend to not like sex to avoid looking like a slut.

And just where does this come from and how can we get rid of this shit?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#47  Postby aban57 » Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Willie71 wrote: Young girls have to pretend to not like sex to avoid looking like a slut.

Well this was already addressed on this forum, after someone posted an article describing how this phenomenon was anchored in the current medias, including the cinema industry. James Bond, Indiana Jones and others have been normalizing this behaviour for decades. How can we get rid of this ? Start whith Hollywood. Ironic, isn't it ?
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby proudfootz » Nov 14, 2017 12:46 am

It's a chicken and egg situation.

People in Hollywood will say that they simply follow the attitudes of the general public in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Others will say that Hollywood creates the social attitudes of the public.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 14, 2017 5:31 am

proudfootz wrote:It's a chicken and egg situation.

People in Hollywood will say that they simply follow the attitudes of the general public in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Others will say that Hollywood creates the social attitudes of the public.

how much do types like Weinstein benefit from the attitudes they follow/create?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#50  Postby proudfootz » Nov 14, 2017 10:19 am

Obviously 'everyone is doing it' isn't a good excuse.

They clearly know it is wrong, hence the obsession with paying hush money when they can't silence people with raw intimidation.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Willie71 » Nov 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:

Abrahamic religions. Men can fuck around all they want, but women have to be pure to make sure the men have a clean vessel to make sure the right seed grows in the womb. That was turned into morality rather than having pure bloodlines for inheritance several centuries later.
well, the 'mericuns chose alien, rather than predator. The rest of the world has to burn now.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#52  Postby The_Piper » Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm

George Bush 41 has another accuser of his "butt-grabbing", a 16 year old. :shock: http://time.com/5019182/george-hw-bush-groping-allegation/

And a "nothing-burger" (I suspect, and I hate that phrase) of Demi Moore kissing a 15 year old boy when she was a 19 year old girl.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm

.... was it nonconsensual? I don't think there's anything illegal about smooching a 15yo when you're 19 as long as they're into it.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#54  Postby The_Piper » Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm

I watched the video. I'm guessing the kid was walkin on sunshine, but that's just me. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby aban57 » Nov 15, 2017 10:49 am

Surprisingly, almost all the offenders have chosen the same tactic : just shut up and wait. No excuses, no big speech like "I made mistakes", or even suicide. It's been puzzling me.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

aban57 wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

Well this was already addressed on this forum, after someone posted an article describing how this phenomenon was anchored in the current medias, including the cinema industry. James Bond, Indiana Jones and others have been normalizing this behaviour for decades. How can we get rid of this ? Start whith Hollywood. Ironic, isn't it ?

I'm not old enough, but maybe some of the older people on here can answer. Was this just a thing in films, or was it actually the case in real life too? Was it expected that women who wanted sex still had to act like they didn't and wait for the man to "win her over" and did a large number of women actually conform to this?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 15, 2017 11:08 am

aban57 wrote:Surprisingly, almost all the offenders have chosen the same tactic : just shut up and wait. No excuses, no big speech like "I made mistakes", or even suicide. It's been puzzling me.

Because tomorrow there'll be a new story.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#58  Postby archibald » Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:...was it actually the case in real life too? Was it expected that women who wanted sex still had to act like they didn't and wait for the man to "win her over" and did a large number of women actually conform to this?

By and large, yes and yes, imo.

One might even argue that the movies were more permissive than real life. Possibly for a variety of reasons. Don't forget that men were largely in charge of what went into movies.
Last edited by archibald on Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Macdoc » Nov 15, 2017 12:03 pm

“No, we’re good. This gentleman accidentally touched my breast and I accidentally broke his nose.”

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoon/a20480
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby archibald » Nov 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Macdoc wrote:Image
“No, we’re good. This gentleman accidentally touched my breast and I accidentally broke his nose.”

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoon/a20480

Lol. That's been circulated by this reader. :)
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs