The housing market is dead.

Long live the housing market.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The housing market is dead.

#161  Postby felltoearth » Oct 26, 2022 6:36 pm

Regina wrote:
felltoearth wrote:It’ll never happen here, not with this provincial gov or the current Toronto Mayor. But this is awesome.

Berlin Votes on Whether to Expropriate Corporate Landlords | The Nation
When party campaign posters suddenly blanketed Germany last month, the standard half-smiles and safe slogans seemed to reflect the blandness of the upcoming federal election—described by many as a competition for who can carry on Merkel’s careful, centrist legacy. Here in Berlin, however, the unmistakable yellow-and-purple multilingual signs of a different grassroots initiative have been touting a more radical idea for months: expropriation. The campaign, Deutsche Wohnen & Co Enteignen (Expropriate Deutsche Wohnen and Co.), wants the Berlin Senate to seize the assets of the largest private real estate companies in the city, turning hundreds of thousands of apartments over to public ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It‘s awesome if you can spare 29 to 36 billion Euros to reimburse the real estate companies in question. Seizing the assets without compensation is illegal.

Canada is a very rich country. 50 billion CDN toward an affordable home strategy is a no brainer and chump change amortized over 20 years.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#162  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 27, 2022 12:24 am

They certainly have a fucking big overlap though, eh?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#163  Postby felltoearth » Oct 27, 2022 12:45 pm

Spearthrower wrote:They certainly have a fucking big overlap though, eh?

Sorry, not following.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 27, 2022 3:14 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Sorry, not following.

Sorry, was in reply to the post before yours. I wrote the message, forgot to click submit until about 8 hours later! :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#165  Postby THWOTH » Oct 28, 2022 6:32 am

What do you mean? The housing market is doing fine, it's just shit for homeowners. If folks can't pay their rent or meet their mortgages they'll lose their homes. If small landlords can't make money they'll sell the houses cheap, banks will sell repossessions to their investment arms at knock down prices. Those who are already asset rich can snap up the surplus or redundant stock and just sit on it untill the economy picks up, with maintenance costs written off against tax. It's all working just like it's supposed to I tell you. Don't sweat, it'll all be fine.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#166  Postby felltoearth » Oct 28, 2022 12:26 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Sorry, not following.

Sorry, was in reply to the post before yours. I wrote the message, forgot to click submit until about 8 hours later! :grin:

:tup:

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#167  Postby ernadrey11 » Oct 30, 2022 11:47 pm

ernadrey11 wrote:The housing market has indeed been struggling in recent years. But it's important to remember that the market for housing as an investment is not the same as the market for housing as homes.

The roperty.
ernadrey11
Banned Spammer

Print view this post

#168  Postby minininja » Nov 02, 2022 11:11 am

This is a good write up on Novara media about the current situation, the consequences (only good for the already wealthy), and the alternative options for actually fixing the housing market (rent controls and council housing) that the Tories won't take.

Who Would a Housing Crash Hurt?
Probably not the people it should.

Nothing says “crisis” to our political elite like a house price crash. Margaret Thatcher’s right to buy scheme, introduced in 1980, promised private property and asset ownership to millions. And since then, rising prices have been the motor for economic growth and personal enrichment in Britain. But the storm clouds are gathering.

Around the world, housing markets are starting to creak. In Canada and Sweden, prices are down 8% since February. In New Zealand, they’ve fallen by 12% since their peak in 2021. In the US, transactions have started to slow and the pressure on prices in big cities is growing.

Britain’s not at that stage just yet. But Halifax and Nationwide are reporting that monthly house price growth has started to turn negative, and low-deposit mortgages are being rapidly withdrawn from the market. Spooked by these global headwinds, many experts are now predicting steep falls over the next year.

Experts are predicting large falls in house prices over the next 12 months: Knight Frank -5%; Rightmove -7%; HSBC -7.5%; Bloomberg -10%; John Charcol Ltd -10%; Fox Davidson -10%; Panmure Gordon -14%; Credit Suisse -15%; Capital Economics -15%.

The story behind this downturn is simple. Coronavirus-related supply chain issues and the spike in energy prices have driven double-digit inflation, provoking a cost of living crisis for millions. Central banks then responded by raising interest rates, which had sat at rock bottom since the 2007 financial crisis. And, as interest rates have gone up, so too have mortgages. This huge jump in monthly mortgage payments will mean even people who have managed to save up for a deposit won’t be able to afford a home, driving demand and prices down.

So who wins and who loses?

For renters, it’s tempting to celebrate a fall in prices. But perversely, rents are likely to keep on rising. Speaking to Novara Media, a spokesperson for the London Renters Union (LRU) said that their members were reporting that “landlords and agents are using the cost of living crisis, and now interest rate rises, as excuses to inflate rents by as much as 30%, 40% or even 70%”.

Landlords will protest that they are simply passing on increased mortgage costs, but the truth is more complicated. More than a third of landlords have no debt whatsoever– and there’s evidence that even those who do have mortgages are using the current crisis to squeeze even more profit out of the houses they own.
Continues...
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs