The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#121  Postby newolder » Jan 28, 2020 3:00 pm

aufbahrung wrote:4 yesterday 17 today............100,000 next week at this time.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/22/79838317 ... oronavirus

The figures you quote are for the number of deaths attributed to 2019-nCoV. Currently, that number is in the low 100s. Almost certainly, the total will not increase by a factor of 1000 overnight. The spreadsheet data is used to make this graphic.

Humans are really bad at making estimates but a first step towards improvement is acknowledgement of error. Should I hold my breath?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 28, 2020 4:36 pm

newolder wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:4 yesterday 17 today............100,000 next week at this time.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/22/79838317 ... oronavirus

The figures you quote are for the number of deaths attributed to 2019-nCoV. Currently, that number is in the low 100s. Almost certainly, the total will not increase by a factor of 1000 overnight. The spreadsheet data is used to make this graphic.

Humans are really bad at making estimates but a first step towards improvement is acknowledgement of error. Should I hold my breath?

Firstly it was black humour aimed at mans misunderstanding of the exponential function rather than the disease itself. Secondly...how many lucky breaks do you think one species is entitled too before :crumple: ?
"I'd rather live a single day as a Lion than to live forever as a sheep."
-Benito Mussolini

"Culture is on the horns of this dilemma: if profound and noble, it must remain rare, if common, it must become mean."
-George Santayana
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby newolder » Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm

Where is the indication of humour in that post? Which "man" hereabouts misunderstands exponential growth? Did you have a follow up question?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#124  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 28, 2020 4:58 pm

NineBerry wrote:It's arrived in Germany. :priest:

Last years Influenza outbreak had more infected and dead in Germany alone than this funny little thing.
:yawn: wake me up when it gets near those numbers.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Hermit » Jan 28, 2020 7:53 pm

newolder wrote:Where is the indication of humour in that post? Which "man" hereabouts misunderstands exponential growth? Did you have a follow up question?

Announcing the imminent end of human civilisation due to pandemics is scrumple's hobby, and only his own death will stop him from pursuing it. The admins at Rationalia have added an emoj just for him. The tag for it is "crumple", the alias he was posting under at the time. So, typing ":crumple:" in that forum will result in this: Image
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#126  Postby Alan B » Jan 28, 2020 8:20 pm

If a face mask is required then the only one that will allegedly do the job is grade N95: .pdf and Dust masks. These lists suggest that the most efficient masks will screen only 0.3 microns or larger.

However, the Coronavirus size is about 0.1 to 0.2 microns - similar to the SARS virus - while Influenza A virus is about 0.08 to 0.12 microns.
BBC
Dr David Carrington, of St George's, University of London, told BBC News "routine surgical masks for the public are not an effective protection against viruses or bacteria carried in the air", which was how "most viruses" were transmitted, because they were too loose, had no air filter and left the eyes exposed.
But they could help lower the risk of contracting a virus through the "splash" from a sneeze or a cough and provide some protection against hand-to-mouth transmissions.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 28, 2020 8:23 pm

the point of those masks is not to protect the wearer from flying viruses, it’s to stop droplets full of them that the mask wearer might spill.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Alan B wrote:If a face mask is required then the only one that will allegedly do the job is grade N95: .pdf and Dust masks. These lists suggest that the most efficient masks will screen only 0.3 microns or larger.

However, the Coronavirus size is about 0.1 to 0.2 microns - similar to the SARS virus - while Influenza A virus is about 0.08 to 0.12 microns.
BBC
Dr David Carrington, of St George's, University of London, told BBC News "routine surgical masks for the public are not an effective protection against viruses or bacteria carried in the air", which was how "most viruses" were transmitted, because they were too loose, had no air filter and left the eyes exposed.
But they could help lower the risk of contracting a virus through the "splash" from a sneeze or a cough and provide some protection against hand-to-mouth transmissions.

Mask isnt enough, medical staff caught virus from their eyes in Wuhan later understood even from ears someone can get infected.

Run run :doh:

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#129  Postby campermon » Jan 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Just down the road from me :shock:

"Coronavirus alert in Birmingham as medics in hazmat suits quarantine suspected victim after he was SENT HOME by GP - despite revealing he had just returned from Wuhan"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... lance.html

Currently preparing to take off into orbit.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#130  Postby laklak » Jan 28, 2020 9:23 pm

The only way to be sure, other than taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit (a valid option, albeit with a downside or two):

Hazmat.jpg
Hazmat.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 208 times

As a bonus, it doubles as a ditch suit in cold waters, and is quite handy if you need to work on a marine sanitary system, or walk down a street in San Francisco.
Last edited by laklak on Jan 28, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#131  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 28, 2020 9:24 pm

campermon wrote:Just down the road from me :shock:

"Coronavirus alert in Birmingham as medics in hazmat suits quarantine suspected victim after he was SENT HOME by GP - despite revealing he had just returned from Wuhan"

Its meaningless to fear for someone outside China at this stage, cases are very few and there is no way to contaminate unless you're a few meters around the patient.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#132  Postby laklak » Jan 28, 2020 9:26 pm

I'll only use the take-away window at the Chinese for a while. Sweet and Sour Pork, please, and hold the civet.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#133  Postby campermon » Jan 28, 2020 9:28 pm

laklak wrote:The only way to be sure, other than taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit (a valid option, albeit with a downside or two):

Hazmat.jpg

As a bonus, it doubles as a ditch suit in cold waters, and is quite handy if you need to work on a marine sanitary system, or walk down a street in San Francisco.

Always sound advice from you sir!

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#134  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Atm in China 106 death, 4630 Corona infected patient under quarantine, suspect patients (not yet confirmed as virus +) 6973 according to Chinese goverment's wechat announcement.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#135  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 29, 2020 1:31 am

2 cases in California. Both in Southern California. 1 in Orange County (my county). I feel a cold coming on. Anxiety is about to elevate.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby The_Piper » Jan 29, 2020 3:05 am

There's hardly a day that goes by that I'm not thankful to live in a town so sparsely populated that it makes the Unabomber's hometown look like a metropolis.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Fallible » Jan 29, 2020 10:12 am

I’m on steroids, good excuse to veg out on the sofa. Had to go to the GP yesterday, but I think I got away with it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#138  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 29, 2020 10:38 am

Confirmed death toll in China 132.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Svartalf » Jan 29, 2020 10:49 am

aliihsanasl wrote:

Its meaningless to fear for someone outside China at this stage, cases are very few and there is no way to contaminate unless you're a few meters around the patient.

Sorry, but Germany has a patient who was contaminated by a Chinese colleague, and we have a Chinese patient who is a tourist and my have contaminated countless people before the symptoms declared themselves.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 29, 2020 10:59 am

Svartalf wrote:
aliihsanasl wrote:

Sorry, but Germany has a patient who was contaminated by a Chinese colleague, and we have a Chinese patient who is a tourist and my have contaminated countless people before the symptoms declared themselves.

A patient. That is singular. If you look at what aliihsanasl wrote, this doesn't dispute that as there are 82 million people in Germany and 67 million in France, so it would be meaningless to fear any person at random in that context.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs