The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#1441  Postby Regina » Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
newolder wrote:How did it circumnavigate the globe so fast? :think:

Virus

Air traffic

Those suffering people living underwater 200 miles south of the coast in the Gulf of Guinea really want to know what you're talking about.

While living underwater might seem like an appealing prospect at the moment, this is not the case here. The red blob indicates the Diamond Princess. In all likelihood her registration. Your snarkiness is misplaced.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#1442  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Regina wrote:Your snarkiness is misplaced.

It wasn't snarkiness - you really shouldn't project Regina.

It was just a silly comment for fun, as I can guarantee you newolder grasped.

It would be a bit like me saying:

Regina wrote:While living underwater might seem like an appealing prospect at the moment,

How absurd! You think people can live underwater...

But of course, no one would really believe you meant it literally.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1443  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Also, quick check:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Princess_(ship)

Diamond Princess is a British-registered cruise ship owned and operated by Princess Cruises.

I don't actually think the red blob in the Gulf of Guinea is meant to represent the Diamond Princess, although perhaps it is another cruise ship. I assumed it was an aggregate for local nations, but I don't know newolder's source to check.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1444  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Also, quick check:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Princess_(ship)

Diamond Princess is a British-registered cruise ship owned and operated by Princess Cruises.

I don't actually think the red blob in the Gulf of Guinea is meant to represent the Diamond Princess, although perhaps it is another cruise ship. I assumed it was an aggregate for local nations, but I don't know newolder's source to check.

The source is the John Hopkins University tracker seen elsewhere in the forum. I just checked and it gets even weirder...

Source: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

If I click on the red dot under discussion, a box appears at top left that includes:
Unassigned, Washington, US
Confirmed: 51
Deaths: 0
Recovered: 0
Active: 51

As I wrote earlier, "Something seems to have got confused there, somewhere along the line." - Beard
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#1445  Postby The_Piper » Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm

I've been using this website. It's a little ahead of that one above with latest numbers, but I do like the interactive map on the one above. World of meters links to the sources as well.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1446  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Newolder wrote:The source is the John Hopkins University tracker seen elsewhere in the forum. I just checked and it gets even weirder...

Ahhh, yeah something's awry there! Unless Washington's off holidaying in Africa.

Anyway, just to clarify for Regina - did you take my comment as snarkiness, Newolder?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1447  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Of course not.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#1448  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 6:17 pm

The_Piper wrote:I've been using this website. It's a little ahead of that one above with latest numbers, but I do like the interactive map on the one above. World of meters links to the sources as well.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

worldometers lets you plot graphs for selected countries too. :thumbup:

There's also tracking data at BNO news that includes time-stamped source info. These two sites appear to produce data in close agreement (better than 1%) but the BNO folk seem to work odd hours and I think there's only one or two staff members running the site. :dunno:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#1449  Postby Bubalus » Mar 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Newolder wrote:The source is the John Hopkins University tracker seen elsewhere in the forum. I just checked and it gets even weirder...

Ahhh, yeah something's awry there! Unless Washington's off holidaying in Africa.

Anyway, just to clarify for Regina - did you take my comment as snarkiness, Newolder?

there's 29 pages for that dot, 1 of which is the ship, I wonder if it is the nationality of the passengers
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1450  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Bubalus wrote:...

there's 29 pages for that dot, 1 of which is the ship, I wonder if it is the nationality of the passengers

There are a good few ships (5 or 6?) with data in that spot - the remainder seem to be "unassigned" US state figures. "Out of UT, Utah" made me giggle. It seems to be a general purpose repository for some reason, but I don't know what.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#1451  Postby felltoearth » Mar 25, 2020 8:52 pm

That location is 0 degrees latitude and longitude. So info that has unassigned georeference.

https://www.geographyrealm.com/zero-deg ... longitude/
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1452  Postby newolder » Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm

^ Seems reasonable. :thumbup:

The Diamond Princess has its current position as docked in Yokohama harbour: https://www.seascanner.com/ships-positi ... d-princess
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#1453  Postby Alan C » Mar 25, 2020 10:53 pm

First day of being officially at level 4. We went for a walk after breakfast, which you're allowed to do providing you maintain physical distancing with others. Just a few cars, all village centre shops closed except for the pharmacies, some with signs. The local 'boutique' bakery didn't have a sign and had an updated hours sign. It may be open but the guidance has been for most smaller food businesses like butchers to close.

I didn't mention earlier but we do have one or two gun shops and we actually queues of dipshits [no distancing] buying up stuff. I suspect or firearms licensing is fairly strict so I don't know what they all expected to do.

Panicked muppet shoppers appear to have settled yesterday afternoon, supermarkets started to allow one person in as one person left. Elderly allowed in regardless.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1454  Postby Seabass » Mar 25, 2020 11:59 pm

Louisiana governor: States are competing against each other for ventilators
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1455  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Mar 26, 2020 12:17 am

It's so sad, seeing this virus rip through care homes. 39 elderly residents and 19 workers from a single care home in North Vancouver have tested positive. 11 of the 14 deaths in BC from the virus have been from that care home. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have someone you love living or working there.

There are confirmed cases of the virus in at least six long-term care facilities in BC. It's so terrible.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1456  Postby NineBerry » Mar 26, 2020 12:28 am

It's terrible what you can read from Spain. Soldiers found pensioner care homes abandoned by the workers, the pensioners left behind in their beds, some still living, tied to their bed with a dead corpse in the neighbouring bed in the same room.

:( :(
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#1457  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2020 12:52 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:It's so sad, seeing this virus rip through care homes. 39 elderly residents and 19 workers from a single care home in North Vancouver have tested positive. 11 of the 14 deaths in BC from the virus have been from that care home. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have someone you love living or working there.

There are confirmed cases of the virus in at least six long-term care facilities in BC. It's so terrible.

So happy my parents are still in an independent living community.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1458  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2020 1:08 am

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1459  Postby Macdoc » Mar 26, 2020 1:11 am

results of the all the red tape cutting going on....had to go somewhere . :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1460  Postby Animavore » Mar 26, 2020 5:59 am

2nd day of full lockdown in Dublin Airport. I feel like I'm tending a corpse. Yesterday I had my PS4 in and completed DOOM Eternal. Today I begin an online course in web design.

All of duty free is shuttered and locked. All bars and restaurants closed. Half the gates are closed and powered down. Offices and car parks are empty. Outside planes from Ryanair and Aer Lingus are grounded with auxiliary vehicles and equipment neatly lined up beside them (this prevents them looking simply abandoned like an apocalyptic scene).

I wish I could work from home.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs