The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#2241  Postby Seabass » Jun 29, 2020 6:11 am

Is there another anti-mask movement or political faction anywhere else in the world? It blows my mind that these idiots have made wearing a mask during a fucking pandemic partisan. It's just astounding. The modern Republican party makes the fucking LaRouches look reasonable by comparison.

Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2242  Postby Hermit » Jun 29, 2020 6:23 am

Have I mentioned lately that I have no intention to set foot on US soil, ever?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#2243  Postby tuco » Jun 29, 2020 6:34 am

lol

Its making news here too. Be proud!
tuco

Print view this post

#2244  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 29, 2020 6:50 am

I hate that I have family stuck in the US more and more.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2245  Postby NineBerry » Jun 29, 2020 8:25 am

Seabass wrote:Is there another anti-mask movement or political faction anywhere else in the world?

Yes, there's a huge one in Germany. They believe the virus doesn't really exist or isn't dangerous because nothing bad happened over here.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#2246  Postby Alan C » Jun 29, 2020 8:54 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I hate that I have family stuck in the US more and more.

:this:
Pretty much my entire aunt's family on my mother's side.
:(

It's why I get concerned about the utter fucking dumpster fire that is the current administration and their GOP enablers.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2247  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 29, 2020 1:27 pm

Let's be honest, coronavirus is doing a good job of exposing the flaws and weaknesses of certain institutions. None more so than the USA right now. People refusing to wear a mask are exactly the same psyche that is responsible for the fact that the selfish fucks have done nothing about climate change. I couldn't possible suffer the slightest change to my lifestyle, even temporarily, for the good of everyone else. The sad thing is that this hissy fit brigade aren't the ones that are likely to suffer, precisely because you don't wear a mask to benefit yourself, you wear it to benefit others. There might be a slight benefit to the wearer, but by far the biggest benefit is to anyone else around you if you unknowingly have the virus.

Although having said that, I'm confused as to how many videos there are of people in supermarkets with a full shopping trolley and no mask on. Do they not have security guards on the door checking people? In my local supermarket, as well as every shopping mall, you're not even allowed in without a mask and temperature check. And you have to sign in too. Or are these people deliberately making a point by following the rules and then taking the mask off once they get inside? I understand it. I used to throw a hissy fit about having to take off my cap in church. But then I was about 10.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2248  Postby proudfootz » Jun 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Where I work the employees are required to wear masks but customers aren't. Among them I reckon there's about an 80% compliance rate with masks.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2249  Postby laklak » Jun 29, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Although having said that, I'm confused as to how many videos there are of people in supermarkets with a full shopping trolley and no mask on.

There are many places that don't require masks. Probably most places.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#2250  Postby proudfootz » Jun 29, 2020 4:00 pm

My credit union requires a mask, but I have to reveal for the security cameras when I first come in.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2251  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Most places around here require masks (I think? Haven't been in one that didn't), I haven't seen any that take temperature. People running around outside is a whole other thing. I used to be concerned when I'd see half the people without them, now it's more like 75%. I know outdoors is much safer, but still it's troubling living in a city with the highest infection numbers in the country. Florida's doing its damnedest to catch up, though!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2252  Postby Svartalf » Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm

France is very lax, most commercial personnel is required to wear them, but it doesn't look that it is enforced, and the only place where the common joe is required to have one on is public transportation of any kind.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2253  Postby Fallible » Jun 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Here, compulsory on public transport, inside hospitals (staff and patients) and for delivery drivers. I can’t say much beyond that, because hospital staff and delivery drivers are the only people I’ve come into contact with for the last 3/4 months.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2254  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 29, 2020 6:36 pm

They did take my temp when I went to the dentist. I assume they'd do the same at the doctor's.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2255  Postby Animavore » Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2256  Postby laklak » Jun 29, 2020 7:38 pm

I just got back from the shops, stopped at two grocery stores, the home improvement center, and the boozer. Every person I saw, customer or employee, was wearing a mask. All the shopping carts were being sanitized. There was hand sanitizer available at all shops and most people were using it.

Not all of us Floridians are idiots, though we do have more than a few. But without them we wouldn't have FloridaMan, so there's that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#2257  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm

Masks still aren't recommended in BC. The only place I see them consistently used is by restaurant staff, where I imagine it is a requirement. Lots of people are opting to wear them for personal reasons but most aren't.

An urgent care clinic I ran years ago has asked me to help out over the summer, which is great. Until the end of August my real job is part-time and most of it is from home. The clinic has seen some positive COVID-19 cases though. Protocols put into place seem pretty good. Patients check in over the phone and only come into the building if the doctor decides they need to be physically examined. The waiting room stays empty. Even so there's a big plexiglass barrier between the admin staff and patients that do come in. Should be pretty low risk. I'll still throw on a mask when there is a patient in the building.

Alan C wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I hate that I have family stuck in the US more and more.

:this:
Pretty much my entire aunt's family on my mother's side.
:(

It's why I get concerned about the utter fucking dumpster fire that is the current administration and their GOP enablers.

I get concerned because I share a border with the US but my primary concern is for my sister. Her county in WA has only had 36 cases, no deaths, and 33 are recovered. The town she's in is pretty remote. It's summer though and travellers are starting to flood the Olympic Peninsula, spreading the virus around.

Washington has mandated mask-wearing. We'll see if it makes a difference.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2258  Postby tuco » Jun 29, 2020 8:13 pm

Not all merkins are idiots? Obviously ;) Guys, good to see you are taking it seriously but you had more time than some others to come to the inevitable from rational and human point of view. Don't be so touchy nobody was making fun of you when the rocket launched not so long ago. Idiots are everywhere but only in America they make it so far :)
tuco

Print view this post

#2260  Postby NineBerry » Jun 29, 2020 11:43 pm

God knows rule 2 of Zombieland: "Double Tap"
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs