The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#3981  Postby The_Piper » Oct 04, 2021 2:19 pm

The pandemic of consequential moronity is spreading across the western world. Instead of the Wuhan flu, it's the Dixie dope.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3982  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 04, 2021 4:38 pm

Isn't it curious how the incredulous suddenly find themselves all science-y and show up at hospitals seeking some of that medical shit when they find they can no longer fucking breathe. Oh, at that point, those docs are their heroes, aren't they? When the chips are down, they want all the science they can get.

It reminds me of Kipling's poem Tommy.

I hate people. I lose no sleep over the fate they choose for themselves.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3983  Postby Macdoc » Oct 04, 2021 5:46 pm

I got a close look at low oxygen at 15,500' in the Andes..no fucking thanks.

We drove up to the highest lake in the world at 4500m and did not acclimatize for more than a day at 3300m. You can see we are at eyelevel for permanent snow....6100m peak.
Worst night of my life for sleeping and you get out of the car and can barely move at the lake which is 1200 m higher.
Gave me far too good an insight into what happens with covid. Given you are not supposed to fly without oxygen above 3,000 m ....ugh

•••

It's the people that get affected by their stupidity ...other patients and those that get infected that are a concern. I'm happy for the evolutinary culling
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3984  Postby felltoearth » Oct 04, 2021 6:13 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Isn't it curious how the incredulous suddenly find themselves all science-y and show up at hospitals seeking some of that medical shit when they find they can no longer fucking breathe. Oh, at that point, those docs are their heroes, aren't they? When the chips are down, they want all the science they can get.

It reminds me of Kipling's poem Tommy.

I hate people. I lose no sleep over the fate they choose for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3985  Postby Alan C » Oct 04, 2021 9:49 pm

People that think they know more than medical experts; "This airliner pilot doesn't know what he's doing keeping us from finally landing after this long flight, I'm gonna go take over".
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3986  Postby Caper » Oct 05, 2021 1:33 pm

My nomination for Youtube comment of the week:

"The Facebook outage caused a serious dip in antivax research."
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3987  Postby Agrippina » Oct 05, 2021 4:17 pm

Stealing that to put on Facebook.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3988  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 05, 2021 4:20 pm

The Onions German brother „der Postillion“ reported a surge in people getting vaccinated because they suddenly didn’t remember why not.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#3989  Postby hackenslash » Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am

The_Metatron wrote:Oh, at that point, those docs are their heroes, aren't they? When the chips are down, they want all the science they can get.

Among the worst things I've seen is antivaxxers abusing hospital staff while they're dying and the HCWs are trying to save them.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#3990  Postby Alan C » Oct 06, 2021 9:00 pm

So I was personally aware via SO that two health shops in the Auckland area have almost 100% refusal of vaccination among the staff and one of the shops refuses to wear masks. I think at best there is a grey being exploited for masks as far as government covid regulations are concerned but anyway.

Now it seems a 'health' shop group, Hardy's, has 99% unvaccinated among their staff. I would consider most if not all health shops (compared with pharmacies) flirt with pseudoscience but I was hoping they'd make an exception for covid.

Curious to hear if anyone else knows of similar situations in their localities?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3991  Postby The_Piper » Oct 06, 2021 9:44 pm

Woo rots your brain, holy shit. We don't have any health places here. It sucks that New Zealand has covid now. I was surprised that a grocery clerk I see around town told me she isn't getting the vaccine and isn't wearing a mask. She seems smarter than that. I'll try and avoid that whole store as much as possible. Shop local, get sick? :picard: <-----ramble rant included.

Pitcairn Island is still covid-free. If I was rich I'd have a vacation home there. :D I'd like to have one in Antarctica too, but covid found them. That's mind-boggling. If we had a moon colony, they'd all be hacking and wheezing away.
It's still spreading quite readily in Manie, including where I live. 836 cases today, and 29 deaths reported. That may be for the week or month, they're not reporting cases or deaths every day on the Worldofmeters site.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3992  Postby Alan C » Oct 06, 2021 10:21 pm

It's a stubborn bugger this time around but still mostly confined to this part of the country [as long as we don't have more entitled wankers trying to take flights of fancy to their other homes]. It's still not a runaway problem here compared to some other countries but it's not to be taken for granted.
Currently operating at a tweaked level 3, speaking for myself I'd still rather we have a high level of vaccination rate before anything is eased up border-wise. Progress is being made, we do need to do better with Maori and Pasifika populations I think.

coronavirus-data-explorer.png
coronavirus-data-explorer.png (333.61 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3993  Postby Agrippina » Oct 08, 2021 6:47 am

We have still a long way to go before we can take off the masks and move about freely. Our shopping centres won't allow you in the door without one, some small shops do, but I won't go into those plague pits.

I've accepted that I'll probably wear a mask outside the house for the foreseeable future especially now I've been reading that the Pfizer vaccine doesn't have the long-term protection it was thought to. So I sense we'll probably have to go for booster shots in the near future. This while we're still way too low on vaccinations for us to be a little reckless. It's horrible that we can't just go out as usual. We went to the movies for the first time on Sunday, in probably 2 years. We thought there would be a crowd to see James Bond but there were just us and another group of people. They told us to sit a seat apart but we live together so we ignored that in what was essentially an empty theatre but kept the masks on, and didn't buy anything to eat, or drink while there. Loved the movie and felt safe because the theatre was virtually empty but if we go again soon, and probably will to see Dune, again it will be the first show on a Sunday when people are either at church or doing their grocery shopping.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3994  Postby Macdoc » Oct 08, 2021 8:15 am

We're holding our own in Queensland and Cairns is entirely covid free so normal life except for location tracking.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3995  Postby The_Piper » Oct 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Dennis Prager has covid, and says he got it on purpose. Cool story bro.

There's a longer clip from the Majority Report. I wonder how many people he spread it to will wind up with long covid and/or in a hospital. Is there anything he does that isn't shitty? No.

Red Sox pitcher Chris Sale, a skinny, relatively young professional athlete, has already caught it twice. (That ding-dong still isn't vaccinated, which I'll bet Prager is)
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3996  Postby hackenslash » Oct 20, 2021 3:05 pm

Not entirely relevant to COVID, but not entirely irrelevant either, I've written a piece about some of the more subtle propaganda techniques employed in popular press, because the way some of the science is being portrayed is really quite shocking, as can be seen from the treatment of a couple of prominent commentators with genuine expertise in the media.

A Proper Gander...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#3997  Postby ronmcd » Oct 20, 2021 7:12 pm

This is quite something. Watch the nutjobs embarrass themselves.

Anti-vaccine activist Michael Chaves and sovereign citizen "Jamie Freeman" served staff at Colchester Hospital with bogus legal notices today about the Nuremberg code and evidence that Covid is "an absolute plandemic hoax".

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1450847697892696086
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3998  Postby don't get me started » Oct 20, 2021 10:48 pm

Well, after the summer surge (coincidental with the Olympics, although the causation is not proven), numbers here have plummeted.

Back at the beginning of September the daily infection rate in Osaka was 3,000 people. It is now around 70-80 per day.

The vaccine rollout has proceeded apace (after a slow start) and people are still observing precautions - mask wearing is still the norm. I went to work last week and on my journey there and back I must have passed thousands upon thousands of people - I think I saw maybe two people without masks. Hand sanitizer everywhere and people are using it, screens and social distancing in effect in shops, restaurants and bars. (We are still on restricted hours for most bars and Izakayas...supposed to be nine PM closing, but a few are staying open later.)

I met some friends for a drink last week (wow, it's been a while). The bar had a temperature check at the entrance and hand sanitizer was required before you could enter. Patrons were required to be masked as much as possible at their tables and definitely masked when ordering at the bar. People were pretty sensible and compliant with the rules.

At work, all students who want to have been offered a vaccine at the uni health centre. We will be returning to face-to-face teaching next week. Masked and socially distant, with staggered class times to reduce corridor crowding. (I have one large lecture class with 130 students..that is remaining 'on demand' until the end of the year. All large classes will be the same across the uni.)

We are in a better place than we have been for a while. It's been bad enough, but when I consider the combination of incredibly dense urban populace combined with a really large number of elderly people, it all could have been much worse. Not that we are out of the woods yet, but it does feel like we have turned a corner here.

Get the vaccine, wear a mask, wash your hands, think of others.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#3999  Postby felltoearth » Oct 21, 2021 5:37 pm

ronmcd wrote:This is quite something. Watch the nutjobs embarrass themselves.

Anti-vaccine activist Michael Chaves and sovereign citizen "Jamie Freeman" served staff at Colchester Hospital with bogus legal notices today about the Nuremberg code and evidence that Covid is "an absolute plandemic hoax".

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1450847697892696086

I would love it if somebody told them to get the fuck out and let them do the real work they are doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4000  Postby Alan C » Oct 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Tamaki likely breaching his bail conditions a second time around [quelle surprise] by participating in an online antivaxx circle jerk in Australia called Prayer and Pushback 2.

While attention is rightly focused on Brian and his equally venal wife attention also needs to be paid on other prosperity gospel grifter fuckwits that we unfortunately have here that don't get in the news so much [one reason being Peter is white];

https://www.webworm.co/p/petermortlockandsuegrey

In less than a month, this man went down a very dark rabbit hole — informed by Facebook algorithms, bad news sources and a growing network of similarly minded people telling him he was correct. He went on to form a failed political party whose rallies saw a wide array of literal QAnon posters (I covered that here) and on August 18, 2021, Billy TK Jnr was arrested.

What that process of watching Billy TK’s behaviour online clearly showed is how much one can be a victim of bad information.

As you know, I’ve become somewhat fascinated by Peter Mortlock of City Impact Church recently. New Zealand is like a petri dish of the wider world, and watching a New Zealand megachurch has helped me grasp American megachurches even better.

As I wrote a few weeks back, Mortlock has been working a lot of Fox News clips into his sermons. That’s clearly informing his conspiratorial worldview, but I’ve been endlessly curious what else he’s been consuming. And yesterday, I got my answer.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs