The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#4061  Postby Alan C » Nov 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:My feeling is that most of the world's population is suffering from a variation of "future shock". When someone is trying to make sense of things outside of their area of expertise they are essentially trying to deal with magic (think Clarke's third law). It hits everyone at some point, no matter how well educated they are.

What is key though is how you deal with "magic".

Do you just blindly believe the first most credible bollocks you like, no matter where it comes from? (Which is where the talking heads, Hollywood and snake-oil salesmen make their money). Or do you seek out an expert in the field and take on board their recommendations? (And there's still the problem of how to recognise an expert in that specific field rather then a credible liar).

Educating people with just specific facts about specific fields won't work because there is no way you can educate someone in everything. What needs to happen is that people need to be educated in how to discern who or what information to take on board. It's OK not to know the detail of how vaccines work. It's not OK to take the advice of some random weirdo who thinks that Bill Gates is injecting everyone with nanobots over that from the respected head of your countries medical establishment.

Unfortunately there are a significant number of bad actors out there who have a very real stake in stopping this from happening and they are ancient, entrenched and powerful. They aren't new (religion isn't new!) but as people more frequently run into the limits of their personal expertise whether it be dealing with a pandemic, understanding information technology or climate change, the parasites and mountebacks have more opportunities to sell their bollocks and profit.

My own feeling is that anyone knowingly making or spreading false information needs to be held accountable to the fullest extent - although quite how you do that in a free society I'm not sure.

The evangelist grifter here had been charged twice for inciting the antilock down protests but it would appear he got a slap on the wrist. He broke the bail conditions of his first case by organising a second event, last I saw he got the same bail conditions again. I'll readily admit I get frustrated with those going along with this lunacy, however, a similar point to the above was voiced down here by someone dealing with anti-vaxxers; actions should be taken against those at the top of this sick scheme, locally at least. Somehow you have to turn off the tap within available legal/leglislative means.
We've recently had an ex-pat American anti-vaxxer disrupt a press conference the PM was holding, she didn't go down to his level and instead moved the conference inside.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4062  Postby Seabass » Nov 13, 2021 8:42 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#4063  Postby willhud9 » Nov 14, 2021 12:21 am

"Vaccine mandates are unconstitutional. The government cannot tell businesses how to operate on the grounds of public health."

Paraphrased argument that Im constantly seeing on social media.

I hope the next time they are at a restaurant their cook and waiter take big ole shits before preparing their food, don't wash their hands, and dont bother with gloves. I mean, government cannot tell businesses how to operate on the grounds of public health right? Hand washing is just propaganda from BIG SOAP. Look at the money. Look how much money Dial earns annually?!
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4064  Postby Alan C » Nov 14, 2021 12:56 am

willhud9 wrote:"Vaccine mandates are unconstitutional. The government cannot tell businesses how to operate on the grounds of public health."

Paraphrased argument that Im constantly seeing on social media.

I hope the next time they are at a restaurant their cook and waiter take big ole shits before preparing their food, don't wash their hands, and dont bother with gloves. I mean, government cannot tell businesses how to operate on the grounds of public health right? Hand washing is just propaganda from BIG SOAP. Look at the money. Look how much money Dial earns annually?!

Isn't Boebert the personification of that?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4065  Postby The_Piper » Nov 14, 2021 1:50 am

She gave birth in her truck and then prepared the sliders that got everyone sick. All without washing her hands because she's America strong, like Trump. Who is a germophobe, by the way. :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4066  Postby Alan C » Nov 17, 2021 2:53 am

Meanwhile in Oklahoma;

Pentagon isn't giving Oklahoma National Guard a choice on vaccine mandate

On the heels of Thompson's ouster, the GOP governor tapped Brig. Gen. Thomas Mancino as the new adjutant general of the Oklahoma National Guard, and on Mancino's first day — before he was even confirmed by the state Senate — the brigadier general announced that he intends to ignore the Defense Department's Covid-19 vaccine requirement for all troops.

In effect, the new head of the Oklahoma National Guard effectively decided to go rogue: Mancino understood the Pentagon's policy, but he said he intended to ignore it, unlike his predecessor who backed Covid protections for Guard troops. (By some accounts, Mancino acted at Stitt's behest.)
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4067  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 25, 2021 2:23 pm

New Variant

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/covid ... ng-1316864

Dr Peacock described the spike mutation profile as “really awful” and “horrific”.
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

The New And Coming Plague

#4068  Postby felltoearth » Nov 25, 2021 3:56 pm

Only 24% of the pop vaccinated. This is the risk of allowing a virus – especially a Coronavirus – to run rampant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4069  Postby Alan C » Nov 25, 2021 8:57 pm

I wonder if there is anything to the idea that the delta variant has fucked itself reproduction-wise, at least in Japan?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4070  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 25, 2021 10:42 pm

99 year old Grandad took a tumble and had to spend 2 nights in hospital where he caught covid.... ffs.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4071  Postby don't get me started » Nov 26, 2021 3:04 am

Alan C wrote:I wonder if there is anything to the idea that the delta variant has fucked itself reproduction-wise, at least in Japan?

Yes, I've been following this a little bit in the media. My understanding is not the best when it comes to the more technical stuff, but from what I am reading, it seems that there has been a mutation that affects a protein that regulates errors in gene copying. Basically, when errors occur, this protein is no longer able to do its job of correcting (?)/ mitigating(?)/(technical word here) the error and thus the resultant product is non-viable.
(As you'll see, this is an extreme layman understanding of the process.)

Here is a media source that is backgrounded on what i have been reading and watching.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/new-research-suggests-delta-strain-drove-itself-to-extinction-in-japan/news-story/b0c7459c05dedb1ddb41908743b585fd

I will report that the cases seemed to have bottomed out. It was 3,000 a day in Osaka round about the time of the Olympics. It is down to between 5 and 10 a day now.

At risk of sounding like a broken record, I can report that everyone is still masked up in public. (My kids are still masked at school and all students and staff are masked at university) Social distancing is practiced in bars and restaurants. Hand sanitizer is a standard at the entrance of shops, bars, restaurants, shopping malls etc. The amount of people I've seen using it is down a bit since the early days, it seems to me, but lots of people (including me) are still using it consistently.
Many people I have spoken to are in the mode of thought of continuing these measures for a good while to come, even if the pandemic is officially 'over', whatever that might mean. I'm completely habituated to wearing my mask in public now and would feel awkward without one.

(Also wouldn't want to be a bad ambassador for other Gaijins. Keep a low profile and don't rock the boat.)

Sorry to hear about your grandad Spearthrower...that sucks indeed.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#4072  Postby chango369 » Nov 26, 2021 10:04 am

This B.1.1.529 variant looks like it might be the next "Delta".

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#4073  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2021 10:20 am

Yep
This is bad

This new variant, B.1.1.529 seems to spread very quick! In less than 2 weeks now dominates all infections following a devastating Delta wave in South Africa (Blue new variant, now at 75% of last genomes and soon to reach 100%)

https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1463911571176968194
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4074  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 26, 2021 5:03 pm

Spreading via surfaces might explain the vertical take-off? Gotta purchase some gloves.
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4075  Postby hackenslash » Nov 26, 2021 5:08 pm

Just done a little digging for update after a few weeks of not looking at COVID, and this looks pretty bad. 30 spike mutations is not good, and can account for that take-off all on its own.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4076  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2021 8:44 pm

fuck - this new variant - megaton hole in back to normal

Israel declared state of emergency and travel bans everywhere....hoping Australia delays opening up international travel now.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4077  Postby chango369 » Nov 26, 2021 9:03 pm

B.1.1.529 has been classified as a variant of concern and called Omicron, not Nu.

cv38.jpg
cv38.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 81 times

https://www.who.int/en/activities/track ... -variants/
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#4078  Postby felltoearth » Nov 26, 2021 11:45 pm

I made this for nothing I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4079  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2021 11:57 pm

I was really looking forward to going back to the UK to visit the folks asap - doesn't look likely now!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4080  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 27, 2021 2:18 am

aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs