The New And Coming Plague

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#4081  Postby Alan C » Nov 27, 2021 6:57 am

felltoearth wrote:I made this for nothing I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SO couldn't get "we are the knights that say NI!" out of her head.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4082  Postby The_Piper » Nov 27, 2021 1:30 pm

"We are no longer the knights who say nu."
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4083  Postby chango369 » Nov 27, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm going to assume it's already here in the States.

Dutch health authorities said on Saturday they had detected 61 COVID-19 cases among people who flew from South Africa on Friday and were now doing further tests to see whether any are infected with the new Omicron variant.

The cases were discovered among around 600 passengers who arrived at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport on two flights on Friday before the Dutch government halted air traffic from southern Africa due to concerns over the variant.

Dutch test for new variant after finding 61 COVID cases among South Africa passengers

Suspected Omicron Covid cases found in Germany and Czech Republic
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#4084  Postby Caper » Nov 27, 2021 2:55 pm

chango369 wrote:I'm going to assume it's already here in the States.

Dutch health authorities said on Saturday they had detected 61 COVID-19 cases among people who flew from South Africa on Friday and were now doing further tests to see whether any are infected with the new Omicron variant.

The cases were discovered among around 600 passengers who arrived at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport on two flights on Friday before the Dutch government halted air traffic from southern Africa due to concerns over the variant.

Dutch test for new variant after finding 61 COVID cases among South Africa passengers

Suspected Omicron Covid cases found in Germany and Czech Republic

So ...

NONE SHALL PASS!

(The wisdom of Monty Python.)
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4085  Postby hackenslash » Nov 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Now detected in UK as well.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4086  Postby aufbahrung » Nov 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Got a case in Nottingham. It's not the ideal location for a case.
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4087  Postby felltoearth » Nov 27, 2021 4:37 pm

This is why flight bans don’t work. Once you’ve detected it the horse has already left the barn. It’s hard to say if this variant really did originate in SA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4088  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 27, 2021 6:14 pm

felltoearth wrote:It’s hard to say if this variant really did originate in SA.

they didn’t call it the Spanish Flue for nothing. :smoke:
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4089  Postby Macdoc » Nov 28, 2021 3:07 am

some good news

It presents mild disease with symptoms being sore muscles an ..

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst

Following on - if it is more infectious and less virulent than Delta....might actually be a win. :popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4090  Postby i have no avatar » Nov 28, 2021 5:44 am

Let's hope so, but if this is the case, my fear is that it will mutate again into something worse.
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4091  Postby Macdoc » Nov 28, 2021 8:46 am

Viruses generally mutate to less virulent and more infectious but ... :popcorn:

2 cases in Sydney - non-symptomatic and fully vaccinated - all and sundry associated with flight under quarantine.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4092  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 28, 2021 9:46 am

Macdoc wrote:Viruses generally mutate to less virulent and more infectious but ... :popcorn:

It's not so much that they generally mutate to less virulent strains, but rather it's generational and about natural selection because the more virulent ones which more frequently kill their hosts decrease that host population, meaning in turn that the more dangerous viruses negatively impact their own descendants' opportunities, ultimately harming their own fitness. It's a conundrum that's not easy to solve.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4093  Postby Macdoc » Nov 28, 2021 10:06 am

Lot of words to say the same thing.
If it's as infectious as measles then it will run rampant in the unvaccinated ....no need to convince any idiots....they will just get a stealth jab from the virus itself.

What remains to be seen is how virulent it is. Those two cases in Sydney were fully vaccinated and showed no symptoms. They are likely now more immune now. Won't take long to find out how nasty it is in at risk populations.:popcorn:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4094  Postby Alan C » Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am

Seems likely to me it'll show up in Florida. When you have a pro-covid so-called leader in the state there.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4095  Postby chango369 » Nov 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Two cases, both asymptomatic and fully vaccinated.

Australia confirms two cases of Omicron COVID-19 variant

ETA: The Wikipedia page on this has been remarkably up to date: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SARS-CoV- ... on_variant

cv39.jpg
cv39.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 447 times
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#4096  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Interesting perspective on this case: Dutch Covid case: Escaped couple fight quarantine in TB ward(BBC) puts the Dutch anti-covid protests into perspective if the authorities are as generally incompetent as they appear in this case.

(Short version: The couple had 1 positive lateral flow test on arrival, 2 prior negative PCR tests before leaving SA and 4 subsequent negative antigen and PCR tests after the first positive one and were told that isolation was voluntary. They were also told they were told they could leave. It is also worth noting that one of them is a bio-chemical researcher so probably had a reasonable appreciation of the tests and that they can fail. Apparently they were arrested on the orders of the local mayor at the last minute and have yet to be charged with anything...)

If the rest of the Dutch response has been equally chaotic, it's hardly surprising that people are getting pissed off. Making the UK government look competent in comparison is quite a trick.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4097  Postby Alan C » Dec 02, 2021 8:42 pm

So where I am the gyms are able to open today [along with restaurants] and accept people in with the following conditions;
Must have been double-vaxxed and have the vaccine passport. The gym has an app for which an update was released a few days beforehand to enable registration of your vaccine pass. Worked by scanning but I was able to open the email I was sent with the Apple/Google wallet link and an attached doc, scanned the doc. Otherwise they have people on hand to verify and link the pass with the member's account. Looked fairly streamlined.

Masks to be worn anywhere except the group fitness studios or the gym floor itself. I kept mine on anyway, thought I'd manage ok just doing a weights session and I did. I was the only one to do so, surprised to see this time the PTs there didn't.

Usual stuff as before; sanitise hands/equipment regularly, keep your distance etc.

I wasn't sure what the numbers would be like but it turned out I still secured a car park even with the renovation work being done on one of the studios. Looked like the same number of people there as before more or less, I'll see what an after-work session looks like.

Haven't planned any restaurant visits yet but there were a couple of missed birthdays over this recent lockdown [mine included] so something will be on the cards I hope.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4098  Postby Macdoc » Dec 02, 2021 8:59 pm

Hammer comes down in Germany
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/02/euro ... index.html

Too perfect
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4099  Postby Alan C » Dec 03, 2021 11:42 pm

The latest 'anything-except-taking-the-goddamn-vaccine' trend it seems is eating Canadian lead and arsenic-laced dirt, drinking it, bathing in it.

There are not enough Picards for this.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4100  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 04, 2021 4:03 am

Macdoc wrote:Hammer comes down in Germany

All that's left is to wonder what took them so long. Those who understand the German federal / Länder system may take a shot at explaining why it took them so long.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs