'The only solution for climate change....

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

'The only solution for climate change....

#1  Postby aufbahrung » Feb 08, 2020 3:23 pm

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... n-17684215

'The only solution for climate change is letting the human race become extinct'
By Alistair Ryder

A Cambridge academic has proposed a radical new way to solve climate change – letting humanity become extinct.

Patricia MacCormack, a professor of continental philosophy at Anglia Ruskin University, has just released her new book The Ahuman Manifesto, which will officially be launched in Cambridge today (Wednesday, February 5).

The book argues that due to the damage done to other living creatures on Earth, we should start gradually phasing out reproduction. But rather than offering a bleak look at the future of humanity, it has generated discussion due to its joyful and optimistic tone, as it sets out a positive view for the future of Earth - without mankind.

(continued...)
"I'd rather live a single day as a Lion than to live forever as a sheep."
-Benito Mussolini

"Culture is on the horns of this dilemma: if profound and noble, it must remain rare, if common, it must become mean."
-George Santayana
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 'The only solution for climate change....

#2  Postby felltoearth » Feb 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Bullshit
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 08, 2020 4:14 pm

'The only solution for climate change is letting the human race become extinct'

That's not a 'solution' - that's just ignoring the problem and letting whatever repercussion occur undirected.

It's also not going to help because ignoring the problem and continuing regardless of those consequences is going to see increasingly dramatic habitat destruction and loss of diversity.

The notion of phasing out reproduction is so at odds with reality, I am not sure how such a person can be considered a serious philosopher or academic.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Feb 08, 2020 4:21 pm

2018 figures for births are 149,200,000 and for deaths, 57,600,000. Unless births equals deaths the world population will continue to grow and grow and grow...
Ah, I hear you say, euthanasia! :snooty:
If all over 70 were to do a 'Soylent Green', then that would only increase the deaths by about 48%. The population will still increase.
Some countries are reporting a drop in fertility. The figures are peanuts compared to total yearly births. To make any difference, the world-wide fertility will have to reduce by at least 100,000,000. Can't have that now, can we? I mean, 'growth' (capitalism).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Feb 08, 2020 4:49 pm

You keep trotting out the same old failed meme.

COULD EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT GLOBAL POPULATION GROWTH BE WRONG?

https://whowhatwhy.org/2019/04/05/could ... -be-wrong/

snip
Ibbitson further shows that this is not just a trend or a cycle: History has no examples where the acceptance of smaller families has been reversed.

The prospect of two billion fewer people on the planet by century’s end should relieve fears of food shortages, conflicts over arable land, and further environmental degradation. But unless politicians and the media acknowledge the economic challenges of an impending decline in world population, the transition will be costly and painful.

and
Jørgen Randers, a Norwegian academic who decades ago warned of a potential global catastrophe caused by overpopulation, has changed his mind. “The world population will never reach nine billion people,” he now believes. “It will peak at 8 billion in 2040, and then decline.”

Similarly, Prof Wolfgang Lutz and his fellow demographers at Vienna’s International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis predict the human population will stabilise by mid-century and then start to go down.

A Deutsche Bank report has the planetary population peaking at 8.7 billion in 2055 and then declining to 8 billion by century’s end.

The really big news, however, is found in the large countries of the developing world, where the great majority of people live. There, declines in birth rates have been simply astonishing. China, the world’s largest country, has a fertility rate of 1.5, lower than Britain’s. India, soon to overtake China as the world’s most populous nation, is at the replacement rate of 2.1 and falling. Brazil, the fifth most populous country, has a fertility rate of 1.8.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... es-decline

Given how fast this is happening in conjunction with increasing urban concentrations some areas are re-wilding.

BTW ...capitalism does not require growth ...another mistaken meme.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby aufbahrung » Feb 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Bio-hacking will become easier and easier, and well meaning thanos-biological students will find it hard to find work outside of gene tricks in their garage. Within twenty years a 80% chance of a blackswan DNA switch and swapper will produce a real pandemic that'll cure population issues for good, or worse. Nature doesn't like curves on graphs for very long.
-Benito Mussolini

"Culture is on the horns of this dilemma: if profound and noble, it must remain rare, if common, it must become mean."
-George Santayana
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Bio-hacking will become easier and easier, and well meaning thanos-biological students will find it hard to find work outside of gene tricks in their garage. Within twenty years a 80% chance of a blackswan DNA switch and swapper will produce a real pandemic that'll cure population issues for good, or worse.

That's the plot of several movies and TV series.

Within 20 years, 80% chance of... having just pulled numbers straight from your derriere.

DNA switch and swapper... these words don't mean anything relevant to the way you're using them.

aufbahrung wrote:Nature doesn't like curves on graphs for very long.

You just couldn't be more wrong.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby aufbahrung » Feb 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:Bio-hacking will become easier and easier, and well meaning thanos-biological students will find it hard to find work outside of gene tricks in their garage. Within twenty years a 80% chance of a blackswan DNA switch and swapper will produce a real pandemic that'll cure population issues for good, or worse.

That's the plot of several movies and TV series.

Within 20 years, 80% chance of... having just pulled numbers straight from your derriere.

DNA switch and swapper... these words don't mean anything relevant to the way you're using them.

aufbahrung wrote:Nature doesn't like curves on graphs for very long.

You just couldn't be more wrong.

Not quite. A variation of the Pareto principle 20/80. It was meant to give a general idea, not a scientific fact.
-Benito Mussolini

-George Santayana
aufbahrung

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 08, 2020 9:25 pm

Yes, it wasn't a fact, but it was presented as if it was a fact... which it isn't.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Seabass » Feb 08, 2020 9:37 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Bio-hacking will become easier and easier, and well meaning thanos-biological students will find it hard to find work outside of gene tricks in their garage. Within twenty years a 80% chance of a blackswan DNA switch and swapper will produce a real pandemic that'll cure population issues for good, or worse. Nature doesn't like curves on graphs for very long.

The Army of the Twelve Crumples :swineflu:
"Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad." —Thomas Frank

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs