Top Irish Catholic faces new abuse cover-up claims

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Re: Top Irish Catholic faces new abuse cover-up claims

#21  Postby Animavore » May 03, 2012 9:40 am

There were a group in the part who shut religious organisations down. Communists I think they were called.
With regard to heretics two points must be observed (heretic and Church).. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby chairman bill » May 03, 2012 9:44 am

mrjonno wrote:
chairman bill wrote:It's about time the Catholic Church was made a proscribed organisation & shut down. Its UK wealth can help pay the debt. Or more likely, get given to the rich as tax breaks.

I wouldnt want the UK to be the first country to do so we sort of have bad protestant /catholic relations in the past that might get brought out

OK. To keep it fair, let's close down the Church of England too.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby mrjonno » May 03, 2012 10:05 am

Church of England keeps christianity weak and liberal in this country, bad idea to get rid of it
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby archibald » May 04, 2012 9:14 am

On a side note, I thought the documentary was very well put together, in cinematic terms. Particularly when in Donegal, the cameraman seemed to capture wonderfully well the extreme beauty of the place, and this reinforced the sense of tragedy, where the phrase 'deserted Atlantic beach' starts to describe not something essentially unspoilt, but a good place to secretly rape a little boy.

Personally I can't see how Brady can stay in his post. If he's allowed to stay, it's arguably a sad reflection on Irish society.
'I like a good old fashion snog. Don't mind a shag as well.'
Scot Dutchy

"No one will ever win the battle of the sexes; there's too much fraternizing with the enemy."
Henry Kissinger
archibald

Print view this post

#25  Postby Animavore » May 04, 2012 9:23 am

A WOMAN, who was sexually abused as a child by paedophile priest Brendan Smyth, today called for a criminal investigation into the actions of Cardinal Sean Brady.

American lawyer Helen McGonigle, (50) who now campaigns for survivors of clerical sexual abuse, said the All Ireland Primate should resign for not alerting other families to Smyth’s horrific catalogue of abuse.

She was molested by Smyth in the late 1960s in Rhode Island, New York.

Speaking to BBC Radio Ulster today, Ms McGonigle said she was "outraged" by Cardinal Brady's response to allegations in a BBC documentary broadcast this week.

She said Cardinal Sean Brady's "duty as a human" was to protect children and his failure to act properly on Brendan Boland's complaint – when he named other five other children being abused - was "unforgivable".

cont http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 99251.html
With regard to heretics two points must be observed (heretic and Church).. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Animavore » May 04, 2012 9:33 am

ONE of Ireland’s most conservative and respected Catholic theologians has said that Cardinal Sean Brady has lost his moral authority and should resign.

Fr Vincent Twomey has pleaded with the church to reexamine its role and asked where is the humanity to connect with the pain of children who have been abused.

The retired Professor of Moral Theology at Maynooth, told Primetime on RTE 1, that there were issues about the failure to alert parents to other victims of paedophile priest Brendan Smyth, that the church must address.

“For the good of the church, it is really tragic, but I’m afraid I am of the opinion that he should resign,” he said.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 98229.html

If he's not gone by the end of next week I'll be very surprised.

Well. Not really.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 04, 2012 1:47 pm

@Ani

That is very optimistic I am afraid.

The documentry was very good. My take on the rcc in Ireland since the last time I have been there (last year) is the churches are emtying. Most people I talked to did not have a real meaning. The religious ones just did not believe it. There is a sort of numbness. People have been so indoctrinated going cold turkey is proving to be difficult.

Kenny is trying to get the rcc out of its last foothold (education) but they are proving to be very stubborn.
Myths in islam Women and islam

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby John P. M. » May 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Anyone seen the video "Louis CK learns about the Catholic Church"? :shifty:
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Onyx8 » May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABSoHYQr6k[/youtube]
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Sorry I dont find that funny or amusing one bit. It is done in real bad taste.

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Onyx8 » May 04, 2012 4:18 pm

That was the point.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 04, 2012 4:26 pm

US lawyer abused by Brendan Smyth says Seán Brady should be criminally investigated

Helen McGonigle, an US lawyer who was abused by Fr Brendan Smyth in the 1960s, has called on Cardinal Seán Brady to resign.

Ms McGonigle called for a public criminal investigation into the matter and for the Cardinal to be prosecuted if there is evidence that he failed to report crimes to the police.

The BBC documentary, "The Shame of the Catholic Church", claimed that Cardinal Brady did not pass on information about abuse to families of children involved.

Speaking on RTÉ's News at One, Ms McGonigle accused Cardinal Brady of only thinking in terms of canon law.

more

Scot Dutchy
Suspended User

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#33  Postby redwhine » May 08, 2012 2:35 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Sorry I dont find that funny or amusing one bit. It is done in real bad taste.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs[/youtube]
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs