Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Tory Party watch

#21  Postby mrjonno » Jul 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Reason? Because i was not catholic and she could never bring her self up to be with someone who was not catholic too. Obvious implication was that non-catholics were, well, lower creed and not equally worthy. Needles to say, the room we were sitting in went silent. My jaw was on the floor. Those few seconds of awkward silence were broken down by my better half who re-directed the topic in another direction (or just asked if anyone wants another drink :D).

As far as I know neither the Catholic or Muslim religions ban people marrying someone of a different faith. Lots of rules about the children and they may recommend against it but its sure not banned.

Not wanting to marry a non-Catholic is more of a culture thing
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Emmeline » Jul 30, 2014 8:00 pm

chairman bill wrote:I really wouldn't want to tar the LibDems with this - it really is a Tory matter, albeit the 'client' is a coalition minister

This is a young George Osborne, enjoying the company of a woman who was at that time a madame & a dominatrix, who allegedly 'serviced' young George, and plied him with cocaine. She's now suffering the harassment of the boys in blue.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/woman-arrested-for-posting-photo-of-george-osborne-at-prostitutes-flat/

I couldn't give a bugger what anyone got up to when young. I can't stand Osborne but does it really matter what he did at parties? If we're going to hound every politician for their youthful exploits prior to politics, we'll deter too many from considering standing.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#23  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Well, given that at an age when the rest of us were struggling to build an adult life and a career, Osborne was already rich enough to afford hookers and cocaine (in an era when a cocaine habit was the sort of thing only those with bulging bank accounts could afford), it says much about his attitude to those of us not thus blessed with wealth. As a consequence, I regard this as entirely relevant to his current political activities, because he started life with more money than most other people will see in several lifetimes.

Also, don't forget he was one of the members of the infamous Bullingdon Club at Oxford in his student days, an organisation notorious for its hardcore pursuit of wealth-fuelled hedonism and hatred of the plebs. The idea that none of this affected his later attachment to hardcore plutocratic ideology is frankly a non-starter.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Pebble » Jul 30, 2014 9:24 pm

What people should get really pissed about is the police attitude - aggressive action when a politician's reputation might be at risk - a civil matter for the rest of us!
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#25  Postby ED209 » Jul 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Pebble wrote:What people should get really pissed about is the police attitude - aggressive action when a politician's reputation might be at risk - a civil matter for the rest of us!

Would it even be a civil matter? That they were acquainted seems perfectly factual and photographically evidenced, gideon's lies to the contrary should be actionable.

I don't understand on what pretense the police are involved, at all.

Only a desparately stupid and total fuckwit could think that embarrassing a torydem is a criminal offence.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#26  Postby chairman bill » Jul 30, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't give a shit about Gidiot snorting cocaine off the tits of hookers whilst dressed in a gimp suit, but when the Old Bill come calling because someone posts a photo, then I smell abuse of power, and that's the issue.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 31, 2014 12:03 am

Makes you wonder what would happen if I posted video clips of my recent Worms 2 games on YouTube ... featuring the RatSkep team delivering all manner of hilarious cartoon death to Camoron, Gidiot, and several other members of the team labelled "Tory Scum". :mrgreen:

Mind you, I've had some hilarious moments that would count as political commentary during these games ... such as Boris Johnson blowing up David Cameron with a large stick of dynamite. :lol:

At the moment I don't have a screen grabber that will grab movies, so I can't show you such fun and games as Hackenslash dispatching Camoron, Gidiot, Gove And Lansley with a super banana bomb. That was fun to watch, especially as Gove was blasted so far to the right of the screen he went off-world. :mrgreen:

Oh, and watching Baroness Warsi doing an ICBM impersonation after Rumraket planted a priceless ming vase on her head was pretty hilarious too.

Of course, if the real life Tory scum were able to bring their evil wet dreams to fruition, they'd bring back hanging, drawing and quartering for anyone who dared to amuse themselves this way. They'd be like every other bunch of fascists on the planet - failure to worship them as gods would result in you being whisked off to some secret police headquarters to have your testicles plugged into the mains. If they ever got to fulfil their real political fantasies, they'd make the Kims in North Korea look like social democrats.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 31, 2014 1:14 am

Meanwhile ... from the Daily Mirror, we have this ...

A Tory plot to change the tax system so poor cleaners would pay the same rate as rich bankers was slammed today by Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander.

Chancellor George Osborne has ­championed the concept of a flat tax rate and Conservative policy chief Oliver Letwin. Letwin was taped saying it would be back on the agenda when the nation’s finances improved.

But top Lib Dem Danny Alexander hit out: “Any Conservative plan to have a flat rate of income tax in which cleaners would pay the same rate of income tax as bankers would be unspeakably unfair.”

Basically, what would happen if this frankly obscene plan went through, would be that in order to raise the same amount of money being raised by the current system, the proposed flat tax that Letwin and Osborne are eyeing gleefully would have to be set at 31%. Currently, the basic rate of tax for those on less than £32,000 per annum (source: Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs website) is 20%, so for the people on the lowest incomes, this plan would involve an 11% increase in their taxes. On the other hand, the Tories' rich friends, including bonus bankers on multi-million pound salaries, would see the 45% rate they pay on everything over £150,000 drop by 14%. In short, this plan would involve shitting on the poor yet again, whilst handing enough extra money to their rich friends to allow them to bathe in caviar.

Once again, the Tories demonstrate that they're the antimatter version of Robin Hood - they steal from the poor to give to the rich.

More on this here.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby smudge » Jul 31, 2014 7:27 am

Gideon off his face to Spandau Ballet! LMAO

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/07/3 ... -her-flat/

"To cut a long story short I lost my miiiind...!"
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby mrjonno » Jul 31, 2014 12:22 pm

Flat taxes are pretty unsellable as they always involve massive tax rises for the majority of the population. Not even UKIP supporters are that dumb
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Evolving » Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

We already have a flat tax: VAT. VAT is regressive in its effect because the lower your income, the more of it you are likely to spend on consumption, and the greater the proportion of your income, therefore, that is taken from you in the form of VAT. We need progressive income tax rates merely to counter that effect and create a tax system that, in aggregate, is "flat".
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Peter Brown

Print view this post

#33  Postby Emmeline » Aug 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Boris Johnson in Downing Street? 8 reasons why it will never happen

When Boris Johnson was growing up he would tell anyone who asked what he wanted to be: “World King.”

At the age of 12, he painted a self-portrait of himself as a Greek demi-god.

Today, at the age of 50, he’s announced that he will “probably” stand for Parliament next year.

Let’s ignore for a moment how much his ambitions have been curtailed by reality and concentrate instead on what he’s got to offer us.

Everyone says Boris is very clever. He’s so clever he’s announced he’ll soon be available to lead the Tory Party, should it want him to, while the current leader is on holiday in Portugal.

This is a political manoeuvre so deft and brilliant that it’s been done a thousand times previously.

More here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bo ... -8-3998584
Emmeline

Print view this post

#34  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Boris is a political liar, a cheat on his wife, it is totally amazing how his charisma totally negates that in the public eye.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#35  Postby ED209 » Aug 06, 2014 9:20 pm

He's all set to be leader of the torydem opposition this time next year.

He specifically cledged that he would serve a full term as mayor during his campaign, so he's getting into the swing of things already :coffee:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#36  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Boris is a political liar, a cheat on his wife, it is totally amazing how his charisma totally negates that in the public eye.

Not everyone votes on spin. Maybe the Londoners who have repeatedly elected him are judging based on results and not personalities. Maybe they consider a competent liar and cheat to be better than an incompetent liar and cheat who does deals with left-wing dictators.

Just a thought.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#37  Postby chairman bill » Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Ah, the pro-Tory, neoliberal point of view. I knew it wouldn't be long in coming
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby ED209 » Aug 06, 2014 9:46 pm

I guess boris johnson isn't the only one positioning himself for the next parliament :coffee:
ED209

Print view this post

#39  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 06, 2014 9:49 pm

chairman bill wrote:Ah, the pro-Tory, neoliberal point of view. I knew it wouldn't be long in coming

Actually, it's the pro-democracy view, but if you consider respecting the democratic decision of the people to be right-wing, pro-Tory and neoliberal, that says an awful lot.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40  Postby chairman bill » Aug 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Oh so holier than thou, aren't you?

Could I maybe point out that Livingstone was also elected twice, and achieved far more positive things for London than Bumbling Boris ever has. And it was your typifying Boris as competent & Livingstone as incompetent that was clearly the pro-Tory bollocks that I was commenting on. Your stock-in-trade seems to be pro-Tory bollocks, and nothing here is set to counter that view.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs