Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#5821  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2019 10:40 am

mattthomas wrote:It doesn't break the law because she has dual citizenship, she retains her Pakistani citizenship so the UK gov have just pushed the problem onto them.

She doesn't have Pakistani citizenship.

The home secretary, Sajid Javid, wrote to her family informing them he had made an order revoking her citizenship. He said the fact Begum’s parents are of Bangladeshi heritage means she can apply for citizenship of that country – though Begum says she has never been there.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... itizenship

She's British. Javid is a fucking disgrace.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5822  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2019 10:41 am

She was born in the UK. She has never held another passport. She has foreign parents. I am in exactly the same category. And so, for that matter is Sajid Javid.

I suppose he gives not a fuck, on the basis that the only incentive behind his judgements, from this to the refugee 'crisis' nonsense, is his own professional ambition.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1098135957746913280
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5823  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2019 10:44 am

Male fighters have come back, and not had their citizenship taken away.

White people certainly wouldn't get their citizenship taken away.

Tells you all you need to know really. For god's sake don't be non-white *and* female and expect fair treatment from this govt. Or poor, or disabled.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5824  Postby mrjonno » Feb 20, 2019 11:22 am

Over 1 in 8 British citizens in the UK have dual citizenship or an option to take it (mostly Irish), this is utterly terrifying that a politician can remove someone citizenship without any reference to the courts.

What's to stop to removing anyone citizenship for posting unpatriotic messages on facebook?
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5825  Postby CarlPierce » Feb 20, 2019 11:33 am

It is a very bad decision. Although by Tory standards it is just an average one. If we rule by daily mail public opinion anyone could be next.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5826  Postby Alan B » Feb 20, 2019 11:41 am

I think this Javid bloke is over-reacting because of his own heritage - doesn't want to be seen 'siding' with her for fear of responses from racist nutters.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5827  Postby mattthomas » Feb 20, 2019 12:25 pm

ronmcd wrote:
mattthomas wrote:It doesn't break the law because she has dual citizenship, she retains her Pakistani citizenship so the UK gov have just pushed the problem onto them.

The home secretary, Sajid Javid, wrote to her family informing them he had made an order revoking her citizenship. He said the fact Begum’s parents are of Bangladeshi heritage means she can apply for citizenship of that country – though Begum says she has never been there.

Ah, I was just going off the news reports I read :)
mattthomas

Print view this post

#5828  Postby Fallible » Feb 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Good lord, will no one deliver us from these disgraceful individuals?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5829  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm

mattthomas wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

Ah, I was just going off the news reports I read :)

Tsk. Probably the least likely place to find accurate info! I find typing random letters into google returns more accurate information these days.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5830  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Fallible wrote:Good lord, will no one deliver us from these disgraceful individuals?

Won't someone think of the chil.... white children?!

edit - Javid's going to regret this. But it might be too late by then, as in any legal action will be after he has been successful or not in his leadership ambitions post brexit.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5831  Postby Thommo » Feb 20, 2019 4:00 pm

This seems like the wrong decision. Not, in all honesty because I feel sorry for her*, but because I feel sorry for the countries we're now dumping her and all her problems on. And because I feel sorry for her child (who surely, even if only through grandparents must *still* be British) and who is completely innocent.

I can't quite square how it's legal (although, yes, international law is a far more nebulous thing than domestic law). It would not surprise me at all if this gets kicked out by the courts.

*https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/shamima-begum-isis-interview-manchester-bombing-terror-attack-syria-airstrikes-a8784741.html
Thommo

Print view this post

#5832  Postby minininja » Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am

Laura Kuenssberg @bbclaurak

Cabinet source tells me a formal inquiry into the leak is happening, led by National Security Advisor and Cabinet Secretary, Mark Sedwill - not being officially confirmed

So someone from the Cabinet *leaked the information* that there is an inquiry into the leak from the National Security Council about the decision to let the Chinese telecoms company build our 5G phone network, which all ministers present have denied having anything to do with.

The only thing keeping this government in office is May's stubborn refusal to acknowledge that the whole house of cards has long ago collapsed beneath her, turned to dust and blown away in the wind.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5833  Postby ronmcd » Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm

My way or the Huawei: who could be the cabinet leaker?

Jeremy Wright, the secretary of state for culture, media and sport, sighed. Even though he was one of the few members of the cabinet who was definitely in the clear, it was no fun having to clear up other people’s mess. He wasn’t going to comment on the leak, he said, other than to agree that it shouldn’t have happened.

Nor did he want to prejudice any future investigation. If there were to be one. Though on the whole he thought investigations into leaks were counterproductive because they risked the possibility of someone actually uncovering the truth. And then the prime minister would have to sack the minister involved and it would all be very embarrassing. Far better to do nothing and hope the whole thing blew over. Then we could all pretend nothing had ever happened.

It was also important to remember, Wright insisted, that though the leak was 100% accurate it had been spun in an extremely unfavourable light. What had been decided wasn’t an actual decision. It was more of a meta decision. One that didn’t properly exist until it had been officially announced. And this official confirmation, that he wasn’t denying, of a confidential discussion didn’t quite count. He scratched his head and sat down. He hadn’t even managed to convince himself.

Wright didn’t have to wait long for the inevitable pile-on. Labour MPs were quick to point out that there was no area of public life in which the Tories could be trusted. Having screwed up Brexit and forced huge numbers of people into using food banks, the government was now leaking matters of national security. Jeremy Corbyn may not want to use nuclear missiles but at least he wouldn’t tell everyone where our subs were.

Conservative MPs were just as outraged. Tom Tugendhat, chair of the foreign affairs select committee, observed that the whole point of 5G technology was that there was no division between core defence and non-core activities, so there was no point imagining the Chinese would only have access to part of the network. Selling ourselves to the cheapest bidder was no way to run national security. Wright groaned. The whole episode was another clusterfuck. Regrets? He had a few. Too right he did. But he’d done what he had to do. And most of all, he’d done it Huawei.

Top last line.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5835  Postby newolder » Apr 26, 2019 1:02 pm

It's to be hoped that Grailing will be in charge of every item on the itinerary for the Dotard in Cheif's upcoming visit. :popcorn:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5836  Postby ronmcd » Apr 26, 2019 3:41 pm

newolder wrote:It's to be hoped that Grailing will be in charge of every item on the itinerary for the Dotard in Cheif's upcoming visit. :popcorn:

Wonderful. I have visions of the visit turning into every Nordberg Naked Gun scene.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5837  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 28, 2019 9:47 pm

ronmcd wrote:
newolder wrote:It's to be hoped that Grailing will be in charge of every item on the itinerary for the Dotard in Cheif's upcoming visit. :popcorn:

Wonderful. I have visions of the visit turning into every Nordberg Naked Gun scene.

It might end up being even funnier ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5838  Postby ronmcd » Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am

A Secret Service spokesperson said, “We at the Secret Service obviously take safety and security very, very seriously.

“That’s why we’re providing each protestor with protective gloves and headgear to protect themselves from the glass.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5840  Postby Svartalf » Apr 29, 2019 6:34 pm

who's that ruth davidson character?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post