Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Tory Party watch

#61  Postby ED209 » Aug 08, 2014 10:13 pm

I was just thinking that what we really needed was a bunch more peers.

With the yellow tories at ~8% in the opinion polls, having got far fewer votes than labour in the last G.E. and coming out with fewer MPs than in the last parliament, why the fuck do they get six peers?

Presumably there is some kind of formula, but that seems incredibly unrepresentative. Lucky for them that they abandoned lords reform, isn't it.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#62  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Former Conservative chairman Baroness Warsi says her party will not win the next election unless it does more to attract ethnic minority voters.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28730274

First off this to me shows she is a racist at heart, there is a them and us attitude to Baroness Frogface. I don't thing I'm wrong in this, but there should be no 'special' need to appeal to 'minorities'. If your a political you are putting forward a policy for Britain, and if you live in Britain you either like that policy or you don't and it must never depend on skin colour that you like a policy.

Or in other words, if only people with a Pakistani background vote yes, or only people with a Russian background vote yes, or only people with a Welsh background vote yes, then its a racist policy and should not be up for the vote, only when all three backgrounds feel the need to vote yes is it a non racist vote.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#63  Postby ED209 » Aug 10, 2014 12:54 pm

I don't doubt that the identity politics she champions may stagger into racism from time to time. She is, after all, an imbecile.

However, she didn't say that the torydems needed any special appeal to minorities. She just pointed out that they have markedly fewer minority votes than is proportional, and what would be expected if the torydems had any relevance beyond their narrow demographic - the wealthy grey vote.

There's no dependence on skin colour, but immigrants are relatively less likely to be fantastically wealthy, and so relatively less likely to vote for regressive torydem policies such as cutting the top rate of income tax or trebling tuition fees (if they ever had the honesty to put these policies before the electorate).
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#64  Postby chairman bill » Aug 11, 2014 9:13 pm

I feel for him. I really, really do. Poor thing.

Tory Foreign Office minister quits over 'intolerable' expenses rules
Africa minister Mark Simmonds says he cannot claim enough parliamentary expenses to house his family in Westminster
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/11/tory-foreign-office-minister-quits-intolerable-expenses-rules
A Foreign Office minister who resigned on Monday has blamed "intolerable" expenses rules for forcing him to choose between his family and his parliamentary career ...

... He said that the rental allowance of £27,875 a year plus £2,500 for each of his three children would not be enough to maintain a family home in Westminster and that he would not be prepared to live outside central London.

Simmonds earns £89,435 a year as an MP and minister and employs his wife Lizbeth with up to £25,000 of public money ...

... Last year, Simmonds was named by his local paper as the most expensive MP in Lincolnshire after it was calculated that he had claimed £173,436.96 in expenses for 2013.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Doesn't stop him from being completely correct.

People shouldn't have to choose between their family and being able to do their job properly.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Bollocks. He could have chosen to live outside central London, commute on the Tube, and still have a decent place to live. For fuck's sake, if I had a salary of nearly ninety grand a year, plus nearly thirty-five grand a year rental allowance paid for by someone else, I'm pretty bloody sure I could find a decent place to live in, say, Orpington or Whyteleafe (both of which now have Tube stations for commuting). But of course, we're dealing with someone who belongs to a party that thinks anyone on less than a bonus banker's salary is a pleb, and the last thing your average Tory MP wants to do is rub shoulders with the plebs, or (horror!) use public transport.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh, I already knew that you had precious little appreciation for what life in Westminster is like.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#68  Postby ED209 » Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Apparently they also think that nobody working inside the M25 earns less than ~£140k.

Hasn't he thought of getting a part-time job, like mayor?
ED209

Print view this post

#69  Postby chairman bill » Aug 11, 2014 9:58 pm

It's obviously a good job that nobody has to work as a nurse, or a teacher, or a hotel cleaner, or tube driver, or any of a thousand other jobs that people don't have to do in London, isn't it? I mean, how would they ever afford to live anywhere near where they work?

Edit: typo
Last edited by chairman bill on Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Evolving » Aug 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Quite a lot of those people do in fact live in London; but only if they, or their families, have lived there for ever in their own properties, or if they live in council flats.

Everyone else either lives 20 to a garage, or commutes 2 hours each way from far far away.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

chairman bill wrote:It's obviously a good job that nobody has to work as a nurse, or a teacher, or a hotel cleaner, or tube driver, or any of a thousand other jobs that people don't have to do in London, isn't it? I mean, how would they ever afford to live anywhere near where they live?

For starters, I'd wager most of those people don't need to maintain two homes.

For another, I'd wager most of them don't routinely need to work until the early hours of the morning.

The guy just wants to spend more time with his family, and he can't do that as an MP, because he's not paid enough for them to live with him in Westminster. Nothing dishonourable about that. It seems commendably honest to me.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Evolving » Aug 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

For another, I'd wager most of them don't routinely need to work until the early hours of the morning.

That's true (though some of them do have quite unsociable hours).
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Evolving wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

That's true (though some of them do have quite unsociable hours).

Yes night clubs can keep you awake.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby smudge » Aug 12, 2014 6:54 am

Strontium Dog wrote:

The guy just wants to spend more time with his family, and he can't do that as an MP, because he's not paid enough for them to live with him in Westminster. Nothing dishonourable about that. It seems commendably honest to me.

He said he was "not prepared to live outside central London". A few folks do actually manage to commute y'know. Strangely, some work long hours and have families and children. It's not a big deal or a deal breaker for most 'normal' people even if they don't get their expenses paid. There are many commuter belt housing options, especially for someone on an MP's salary, which would mean a half an hour commute, perhaps less.
It a choice. He doesn't want to live as many others do. A common trait among Tories.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby wtargentina » Aug 12, 2014 8:09 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:It's obviously a good job that nobody has to work as a nurse, or a teacher, or a hotel cleaner, or tube driver, or any of a thousand other jobs that people don't have to do in London, isn't it? I mean, how would they ever afford to live anywhere near where they live?

Did he not know about the working conditions before he decided to run for office. If not he's a fucking idiot who should be sacked tomorrow.
wtargentina

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#76  Postby chairman bill » Aug 12, 2014 8:12 am

Strontium Dog wrote:

Funny how other MPs manage it though, dontcha think?
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Emmeline » Aug 12, 2014 8:29 am

He said that the rental allowance of £27,875 a year plus £2,500 for each of his three children would not be enough to maintain a family home in Westminster and that he would not be prepared to live outside central London.

Simmonds earns £89,435 a year as an MP and minister and employs his wife Lizbeth with up to £25,000 of public money.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nses-rules

So he's getting £35,375 rental allowance plus £115,000 in salaries. He made £500,000 profit when he sold his house in Pimlico so he won't have any housing expenses in his constituency.

He can easily afford to rent these properties in London, which are convenient for travel to & from Parliament.

Three bedroom flat in Bayswater at £3,250 per month
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 43594.html

Three bedroom flat on Baker Street at £3,896 per month
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 77910.html

Three bedroom flat in Pimlico at £3,878 per month (This is only one mile from Houses of Parliament!)
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 70611.html

Three bedroom flat in Gloucester Place at £3,683 per month
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... 54111.html
Emmeline

Print view this post

#78  Postby Calilasseia » Aug 12, 2014 8:40 am

chairman bill wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

Funny how other MPs manage it though, dontcha think?

Oddly enough, one of them is, wait for it, Danny Alexander. Who happens to be MP for a constituency in Inverness, 559 miles from London. Here's what he says on his website:

My home is in Aviemore, about half an hour south of Inverness, the Highland capital and just a short distance from the Cairngorm Mountains.

Being MP for a Highland constituency involves a lot of traveling, both to and from London and within the constituency itself. Most weeks, I need to be in London during the week returning late at night on Thursday. That leaves me Friday and the weekend to fit in a busy round of local events, meetings and advice surgeries all over the area.

When Parliament is not sitting I am able to spend real time at home, and I try to get out and about as much as possible to make the most of it. I represent communities from Fort Augustus at the western end of Loch Ness, to Auldearn, east of Nairn, and from the Drumochter Pass to the Beauly Firth, so there is never a shortage of things to do!

I am fortunate to enjoy the work I do, and I have always had a particular interest in many of the issues I come across on a daily basis in the constituency – especially housing, transport for rural communities and protecting our environment. At Westminster, and in my work as a Minister, I am working to put Highland values of fairness and responsibility at the heart of Government policy for the whole UK.

So this Tory was apparently incapable of doing the same as Danny Alexander. Who, when he had a second home, commuted from outside central London.

Oh, but wait, the Tory Party is full of people who think living with easy reach of Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Fortnum & Masons, Lord's Cricket Ground and several Royal palaces, in some opulent Mayfair pad, should be some sort of right, whilst simultaneously telling the plebs that having an extra bedroom is an undeserved luxury that should be taxed. Cunts the lot of them.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Peter Brown » Aug 13, 2014 12:26 pm

now over (be a podcast no doubt)
Iain Duncan Smith, the anti Christ is on LBC talk show radio right now. 1pm

http://www.lbc.co.uk/listen-live-3578
Last edited by Peter Brown on Aug 13, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#80  Postby Sendraks » Aug 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Oh, I already knew that you had precious little appreciation for what life in Westminster is like.

And you're such an expert, yes? :roll:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs