Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#6001  Postby ronmcd » Dec 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Boris Johnson, July 2019:
“We have a plan for social care ready to go”

During the election:
“There’s no plan. And certainly no plan to make people pay. Nope.”

After the election:
“The plan is: make people pay”

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/stat ... 3567256576
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6002  Postby Alan B » Dec 16, 2019 4:44 pm

GrahamH wrote:This bit of news, hidden behind a headline commitment for money for the NHS, seems ominous.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, Mr Cummings will review the way officials are hired, while The Sunday Times claims some departments could be abolished and civil servants replaced by outside experts.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... -enshrine-£34bn-nhs-spending-pledge-into-law/ar-AAK7ZMd

FFS! 'Outside experts'? Another phrase for 'Privatisation'?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6003  Postby GrahamH » Dec 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Alan B wrote:
GrahamH wrote:This bit of news, hidden behind a headline commitment for money for the NHS, seems ominous.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, Mr Cummings will review the way officials are hired, while The Sunday Times claims some departments could be abolished and civil servants replaced by outside experts.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... -enshrine-£34bn-nhs-spending-pledge-into-law/ar-AAK7ZMd

FFS! 'Outside experts'? Another phrase for 'Privatisation'?

Or Cummings' lackeys.

I'm rather expecting to see various moves to take down checks on what Cummings might want to do. He probably doesn't want to have experienced and savvy civil servants in his way.

His move to review defence spending is another worrying thing, not least because of his connections with Russia.

In November 2019, a whistleblower raised questions about Cummings' interactions during his years in Russia; The Sunday Times reported that Whitehall was keeping certain government business from Cummings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Cummings

Step one get whitehall out of the way.

Step two divert UK defence spending to suit his priorities and get detailed info about UK defence resources in the process.

Step three...?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#6004  Postby ronmcd » Dec 16, 2019 8:56 pm

GrahamH wrote:
I'm rather expecting to see various moves to take down checks on what Cummings might want to do. He probably doesn't want to have experienced and savvy civil servants in his way.

Well now, he *IS* Prime Minister :coffee:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6005  Postby GrahamH » Dec 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Prime something
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#6006  Postby GrahamH » Dec 17, 2019 4:14 pm

So i this how a "government of the people" abuses democracy? Dominic Cummings on how to have anyone he likes as government minister or select committee member. This completely bypasses the democratic process.
Does anyone know if this would actually work?

In the clip, posted on social media, Mr Cummings tells an event organised by the IPPR think-tank: "The prime minister should be able to appoint whoever he wants as a minister. There's a very simple mechanism for doing this - you whack 'em in the House of Lords, and then you give lords right of audience in the House of Commons and you strengthen the select committee process.
"I understand, having talked to some old-timers in the House of Lords, that you could maybe do this very, very quickly."
To laughter from the audience, he continued: "That would be on my to-do list if I ever manage to successfully get control of No10. One of the first things I would do would be some orders in council [the process by which peerages are granted] whizzed through at 2am that gave the prime minister the right to do this."
Summarising his argument, Mr Cummings suggested that the government should "bring in people from wherever and make them ministers back in the House or Lords, and have the legislature far more as a legislature."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/d ... spartandhp
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#6007  Postby Thommo » Dec 17, 2019 5:19 pm

It's not new.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... -ministers
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... ry/SN05226
Ministerial appointments

In theory a Government minister does not have to be a member of either House of Parliament.

In practice, however, convention is that ministers must be members of either the House of Commons or House of Lords in order to be accountable to Parliament.

From time to time, Prime Ministers appoint non-parliamentarians as ministers. In recent years such ministers have been appointed to the House of Lords.
Number of ministers in the House of Lords

In Theresa May’s June 2017 administration, there was just one Cabinet Minister in the House of Lords (the Leader of the House of Lords).

25 out of the total 118 (21%) ministers in government were in the House of Lords.

This compares to 23% at the start of the 2015 Cameron administration and 20% at the start of the 2010 Coalition Government.
Recent interest in ministerial appointments to the Lords

As Prime Minister, Gordon Brown announced his intention to create a ‘government of all the talents’. He appointed two departmental Secretaries of State from the House of Lords which raised some questions about the accountability of such ministers to the elected House.

Gordon Brown also appointed a number of ministers directly to the House of Lords; a practice that also been occurred under other recent Prime Ministers.

Time will tell if the numbers diverge from the norm.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6008  Postby GrahamH » Dec 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Jou are right, of course we have seen that before. Lord Adonis and Peter Madelson would be examples.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#6009  Postby Thommo » Dec 18, 2019 1:56 am

Yeah, exactly. If Johnson goes wildly over the 20-25% we've been seeing for years, it would be cause for concern (depending how far he goes), but obviously Cummings is not Prime Minister himself and Johnson faces exactly the same dilemma about appointments as other Prime Ministers in that he needs to buy the loyalty of his MPs with jobs for the boys and girls, so he can't give too many to outsiders.

It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being roughly in line with what we've seen before, and hence not much more to say, but we'll see.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6010  Postby Alan B » Dec 18, 2019 8:16 pm

So this twat is going to build 40 hospitals. How long will it take to issue plans for the first one and where? Of course, a 'hospital' could just be a small cottage hospital converted from an unused block of offices - but it would still be a 'hospital'. Just not very big with a small staff contingency and tucked away somewhere.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6011  Postby Ironclad » Dec 18, 2019 8:51 pm

And staffed by whom, exactly?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6012  Postby Alan B » Dec 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Details, details, Ironclad...
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6013  Postby felltoearth » Dec 18, 2019 11:08 pm

Here in the 90/00s there were a number of rural hospitals built by the province very quickly. Each had essentially the same layout and materials and were sized to the needs of the area they were in. They’re very easy to spot when you travel around the province.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6014  Postby Alan B » Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm

I suspect that what Johnson calls 'hospitals' is is thought of, by the general public, as large major conglomerations that the country needs. The idea of a hospital with only half a dozen or a dozen beds, I would suggest, is not part of the public's understanding of Johnson's "We will build 40 hospitals...".

Johnson should define what he means by 'hospital'.

And yes, felltoearth, I agree. Small Cottage Hospitals do play an essential part in the local community.

But, as Ironclad pointed out, there is the staffing problem. It takes 3 years to train a nurse in the UK and 5 to 7 years for a doctor/surgeon.
Nurse shortage
Physician shortage

If the staffing shortfall is remedied there may not be a need to "build 40 hospitals".
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6015  Postby felltoearth » Dec 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Alan B wrote:I suspect that what Johnson calls 'hospitals' is is thought of, by the general public, as large major conglomerations that the country needs. The idea of a hospital with only half a dozen or a dozen beds, I would suggest, is not part of the public's understanding of Johnson's "We will build 40 hospitals...".

Johnson should define what he means by 'hospital'.

And yes, felltoearth, I agree. Small Cottage Hospitals do play an essential part in the local community.

But, as Ironclad pointed out, there is the staffing problem. It takes 3 years to train a nurse in the UK and 5 to 7 years for a doctor/surgeon.
Nurse shortage
Physician shortage

If the staffing shortfall is remedied there may not be a need to "build 40 hospitals".

Agree there, when you hear the word “build hospitals” you think bricks and mortar. The assumption is that there is staff to go with the bricks and mortar.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6016  Postby Alan B » Dec 22, 2019 3:12 pm

It has fucking started...
The Guardian
'Handing control away': UK's sale of Cobham defence firm to US company decried
Founding family criticises approval of £4bn deal despite national security concerns

The government has been accused of handing control away after it approved a US private equity firm’s £4bn takeover of the UK defence company Cobham despite national security concerns.
The deal had been delayed since mid-2019 after fears were raised that Advent International’s acquisition could undermine the country’s security.
Cobham’s founding family criticised the decision, which was announced late on Friday, and said the government had timed it cynically before the Christmas break to avoid scrutiny.
Cobham, which is based in Dorset and employs 10,000 staff, is considered a pioneering world leader in air-to-air refuelling technology. It has extensive contracts with the British military and also manufactures electronic warfare and communications systems for military vehicles.
“In one of its first major economic decisions, the government is not taking back control so much as handing it away.
“In Cobham we stand to lose yet another great British defence manufacturer to foreign ownership, through a takeover that would never have been approved by the Americans, French or Japanese, all of whom have taken steps recently to raise protections for their own defence sectors.”

More here on BBC

So, what else are we going to 'give away' to the Americans so that the UK can be a "dynamic market economy"? Is selling off our defence attributes the right way to "Make Britain Great Again"? (Whatever the fuck that means...)

It would be interesting to find out what Advent International’s other holdings are (and future acquisitions) in case there is a military conflict of interest some time in the future. :think:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6017  Postby Alan B » Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Daily Mail
More than 100,000 people sign a petition to block ex-work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith from receiving his knighthood

More than 100,000 people have signed a petition to block former work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith from receiving his knighthood.
The petition, which had attracted nearly 120,000 signatures by 11am today, claimed that as work and pensions secretary under David Cameron, Sir Iain was the architect of 'cruel and extreme welfare reforms' like Universal Credit.
However, the decision was praised by former Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, who tweeted: 'I have never worked alongside someone more willing to face unpopularity for standing up for his deeply held principles and moral convictions.'

Of course, Jeremy Cunt has to have his say.
However, complications with the roll-out of the new system and delays in making payments were blamed for driving thousands of low-income families into poverty.
In 2016, Sir Iain unexpectedly resigned from the Cabinet, attacking the Government's policy of welfare cuts.
He was an ardent Brexiteer and, as a backbencher, was a leading light in the Tory European Research Group (ERG) which proved to be such a thorn in the side of Theresa May.

Now, I have no actual gripe with the words "Universal Credit" or perhaps the principle, but the way this bunch of 'tax-avoiding' wankers tried to implement it defies description. Morons.
And they want to give this incompetent twat a knighthood? Fuck off!
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6018  Postby ronmcd » Dec 29, 2019 4:13 pm

"Sir" Iain.

Fucksake.

The incompetent who having been chucked by his party as leader for being shit, ended up as Work and Pensions Secretary and overseeing the Bedroom Tax while living in a 5 bed mansion for free thanks to his aristo father in law.

Fucking waster.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6020  Postby Animavore » Dec 30, 2019 6:37 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post