Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#6041  Postby GrahamH » Jan 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Hermit wrote:What I see is a sufficient amount of voters being manipulated by appeals to their fears, hopes and desires. And no, I don't blame the manipulators for what they do either. None of us are anywhere near to being the rational, autonomous entities exercising free will as we like to imagine. Not even those who do have a modicum of capability for cool, calculating analysis.

Do you have some justification for NOT manipulating the manipulators? Why not use the law or public enquiry or other means to expose and constrain their manipulative activities?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6042  Postby Hermit » Jan 20, 2020 6:53 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Hermit wrote:What I see is a sufficient amount of voters being manipulated by appeals to their fears, hopes and desires. And no, I don't blame the manipulators for what they do either. None of us are anywhere near to being the rational, autonomous entities exercising free will as we like to imagine. Not even those who do have a modicum of capability for cool, calculating analysis.

Do you have some justification for NOT manipulating the manipulators? Why not use the law or public enquiry or other means to expose and constrain their manipulative activities?

I cannot think of a single justification for not initiating procedures to counter the actions of the manipulators. Unfortunately the laws that do exist are in the hands of them and a slew of other laws protect them from the threat of prosecution. Have another look at the images of the front pages of newspapers I linked to in post #6026. The moment anyone tries to take the owners of the media to court for criminal distortions or whatever offence you can formulate, it will be laughed out of court on the grounds of freedom of expression by the legal eagles of the establishment. Then you will be hounded for representing the thin end of the wedge that will spell the end of freedom for everyone if allowed to succeed.

The legal system is pretty much rigged in favour of the ruling class anyway. It is focused on controlling the have-nots while leaving oodles of leeway for the wealthy. In the words of Anatole France, "In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread."
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#6043  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 11:16 am

Journalists walk out of No 10 after bid to impose selective briefing of Boris Johnson's Brexit plans.

Journalists walked out of a Downing Street briefing on Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans after the prime minister’s director of communications tried to restrict it to selected publications and broadcasters.

Among those boycotting the briefing were the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg and ITV’s Robert Peston.

Labour accused the prime minister of adopting the tactics of US president Donald Trump, who regularly excludes reporters who he regards as hostile.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journalists-walk-out-no-10-briefing-a9314996.html

F f f f f f ffffffffffffACSISM!
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6044  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 11:31 am

The BBC news website does not appear to be running this story. Whipishshshshs!!!
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6045  Postby ronmcd » Feb 04, 2020 3:46 pm

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/12 ... 3976835075
Just asked if @NicolaSturgeon would be invited as a guest to COP26 climate conference. "This is a UK govt event.We will be working with the Scottish govt where it's relevant to do so."

COP26 is a UN event jointly hosted by UK and Italy. @nicolasturgeon and @strathearnrose have attended every COP since Paris at the invitation of the UN - @scotgov has attended all the way back to Copenhagen.

https://twitter.com/eliz_lloyd/status/1 ... 5951898624

Again, to be clear - I’ve attended 3 past COPs - Paris, Bonn, Katowice - at the invitation of the UN. I fully intend to be in Glasgow, my home city - and to play my part in making it a success for Scotland, the UK and the world. We must all be serious about our responsibilities.

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/stat ... 7413406720

Fucking tories.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6046  Postby GrahamH » Feb 13, 2020 3:34 pm

1The knives have been out i this weeks reshuffle then. Do BJ & Cummings have a totally free hand now?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6048  Postby GrahamH » Feb 13, 2020 6:01 pm

There's something odd looking about the guy in the middle.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#6049  Postby Fallible » Feb 13, 2020 6:02 pm

Lol...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6051  Postby mattthomas » Feb 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Does anyone else see any similarities in the situation with #10 trying to take over #11 to the way Hjalmar Schacht was dealt with when he warned Hitler about the state of the economy?
mattthomas

Print view this post

#6052  Postby Alan B » Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm

There seems to be a similarity with the FPTP voting system used in both cases. With a landslide victory as with Johnson it can allow a leader with dictatorial tendencies to gain power...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6053  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 14, 2020 2:54 pm

"A landside victory"! He only got 43% of the vote. Now he is a dictator. A great system.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6054  Postby Alan B » Feb 14, 2020 3:45 pm

Yeah. 43% of the vote. FPTP is great isn't it?

(I'm all in favour of a mandatory voting system with the option to 'Abstain' on the voting slip. Some form of PR can come later.)
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6055  Postby ronmcd » Feb 15, 2020 10:16 am

Marina Hyde :coffee:

With regret, I must begin with an apology. As the Westminster-based events of Thursday unfolded, I recalled with mounting horror that I had at one point during 2018 described a Theresa May cabinet as “a government of all the talentless”. As so often over the past few years, this would turn out to be an absolute failure of the imagination. I now realise I was, back then, living through a halcyon era of political accomplishment. Jeremy Hunt, Philip Hammond, even David Davis … those guys were like the Time Lords – or Socratic statesmen, or masters of the Glass Bead Game – compared with what was reshuffled into existence on Thursday.

Braverman in particular is mesmerically dim, with a classic Channel 4 News interview with the attorney general suggesting not only that she could be outperformed at the dispatch box but that she could be outperformed by the dispatch box. Or indeed any other item of furniture in the Palace of Westminster.

The chancellor has been replaced by Rishi Sunak, whose entire aesthetic is that of an Apprentice candidate who’s just drenched himself in Diesel’s Only The Brave, and is willing to tear up his fiscal rules for the chance for Johnson to own 50% of his business. The Treasury itself will be renamed Zenith, Velocit-E, or Team Eleventen.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6056  Postby mattthomas » Feb 17, 2020 2:57 pm

It's 20-fucking-20 and we have a government that won't state clearly that the prime minister doesn't think black people are less intelligent.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... n-21513879

They say "his views are well known". If they are referring to the "Watermelon smiles" and "Piccaninnies" then yes they are well known.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#6057  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

That's abominable treatment of the press. This government's trying to pull a fucking Trump.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6058  Postby ronmcd » Feb 17, 2020 7:55 pm

mattthomas wrote:It's 20-fucking-20 and we have a government that won't state clearly that the prime minister doesn't think black people are less intelligent.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... n-21513879

They say "his views are well known". If they are referring to the "Watermelon smiles" and "Piccaninnies" then yes they are well known.

Andrew Sabisky has stepped down as an adviser to the prime minister amid intense scrutiny over his views on eugenics and other issues.

Boris Johnson’s spokesman had earlier refused to say whether or not the prime minister agreed black people had lower IQs on average or that benefit claimants should be encouraged to have fewer children than people in work – all among the views expressed by Sabisky.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... ebate-live
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6060  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Since it is now obvious that the Royals are no longer popping privileged sprogs at a sufficient rate, to keep the plebs distracted from the manner in which they are being subjected to a no-lube buggering with a razor wire dildo by the Tory Reich, we are now having to make do with the hellspawn of wastrel, narcissist, Old Etonian Tory shitstains. None more narcissist, or feculent and scatoferous, than De Piffle the Bullingdon Bastard fridge magnet, the Tory Party's spaffer-in-chief.

It's tempting to dwell on the kind of women, whose lack of self-respect is so pathological, that they would become yet more seminal spittoons for this overgrown schoolboy, who manifestly never graduated past the role of class clown. One would have thought that the women in question were sanguine enough to regard such a figure as pathetic, rather than amusing, as they might have done in their teenage years, but there's an interesting psychopathology at work here, examination of which is, darkly, even more illuminating about the men in control.

The latest face to be seen alongside the smirking visage of De Piffle, bears enough facial similarity in some of the photos to Princess Beatrice, and of course, one must remark at this point that one simply doesn't get to be chosen as a public consort by his ilk, unless one has enough official Establishment stamp of approval. But that similarity suggests to me, that the two women in question may well share, as part of their background, a creepy Daddy with some seriously troubling skeletons in the closet, and that De Piffle has homed in on the requisite vulnerability, with the practised predatory ruthlessness that is so frequently a feature of his ilk. A recent neighbourly phone call to the police adds weight to the relevant suspicions.

If becoming the latest conquest of this Hooray Henry Tetra-Pak of jizz, is considered by Carrie Symonds to be a price worth paying, in exchange for a front row seat at the inner sanctum of the Establishment, then I suspect she will, in time view that choice ruefully. The Establishment has a habit of chewing and spitting out women like her, in no small part because the men in charge are frequently beset with some disturbing afflictions of their own. Courtesy of childhood traumas inflicted by a combination of empathy-free machine parents, and an education system segregated from the mainstream by the Apartheid of privilege, the likes of De Piffle and his contemporaries emerging from that background, frequently carry with them a collection of neuroses and psychoses that would keep a Freudian analyst lucratively engaged for several lifetimes.

Nowhere are those clinically diagnosable maladies more apparent, than in the realm of sexual relations. The tired old cliché of Eton being a factory for homosexuals, while not completely apocryphal, only applies to a limited extent. More disconcerting are the weirdnesses that appear in the products of this system, that retain an attraction for the opposite sex, the madonna/whore syndrome maintaining a persistent appearance therein. However, the entire Establishment view of women and their role plays its own sleazy part - in order to continue fulfilling the need to breed, the Establishment requires its women to be submissive enough to tolerate whatever abuse is heaped upon them by its damaged menfolk en route to popping more privileged sprogs, but tough enough to endure both said abuse and the rigours of being little more than walking incubators. Stir into the mix the whole nanny business, and the picture starts to become frightening indeed.

On the one hand, you have the seriously repressed - Reeks Of Smug and his sinister brand of exhibitionist faux-Catholicism spring to mind here, and mixing religion with sex is always a dangerously explosive process. Then you have the creepy sadists with a penchant for 'Story of O' style playthings, followed by the fetishists with a secret yearning for a Thatcher style strap on dominatrix. In the case of the would-be "Rene of Roissy" fantasists, a disturbing percentage prefer their toys to resemble their whisky - fifteen years old and mixed with coke.

Even entering that holy of holies known as the Royal Family, doesn't bring any relief from the psychological damage. Meghan Markle has learned that lesson quickly, though in her case, the process was accelerated enormously not merely by naked racism, but by the fact that Harry, like his mother before him, is not content to be a mere totem. While he has his own questionable past judgements ready to haunt him, Harry has, thankfully, exerted diligent effort to maintain at least a basic level of connection with the real world, the world inhabited by the "plebs and serfs" the Establishment view with a visceral hatred. Hopefully, by escaping the piranha aquarium, the two will find a path that Diana would be proud of, but it's an indication of how pernicious and venomous the Establishment is, that it cannot even avoid wreaking havoc upon institutions it presents as objects of worship.

In the meantime, while of course being painfully aware of the vicious, cruel and arbitrary nature of the Establishment, which deliberately places insuperable obstacles before those deemed 'beyond the pale', and in doing so, cuts itself off from a pool of talent that could cure its many ills, there's another issue to be addressed here. By being as insular and bigoted as it is, the Establishment, far from being the guardian of the realm it postures as being, is actually the ruination thereof, not least because it poisons the very concept of political engagement for entire generations of people who, without that influence, could bring to the arena immeasurable gifts. The Establishment is, quite simply, a cancer eating away at Britain from the inside, and its surgical excision is long overdue.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs