Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#6821  Postby Matt_B » Oct 24, 2022 9:26 pm

So, Sunak is the new PM now. Let's see how long he lasts.

Let's not forget that he was the one who got rejected by the members to put Truss in the job and was almost as unpopular as Johnson when he stepped down. I don't foresee much of a honeymoon period for him.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6822  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 25, 2022 10:06 am

Bold, that's what it was all about: being bold!

More like cold, as in the thing an awful lot of poorer people are going to be feeling this winter thanks to Tory party believing they can just eat cake.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6823  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm

With Rees-Mogg quitting, everyone's got something to celebrate today.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6824  Postby ronmcd » Oct 25, 2022 4:10 pm

I feel sick.

Suella Braverman is being RE-APPOINTED as Home Secretary. A week after she had to resign over a security breach, and despite being a despicable foreigner hating imbecile.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6826  Postby ronmcd » Oct 25, 2022 4:13 pm

With his reinstatement of Cruella Braverman as Home Secretary, we see what Sunak really stands for:

Crushing civil liberties, persecuting refugees, sacrificing lives to the billionaire press.

The Nasty Party never went away.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/statu ... 3420860422
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6827  Postby ronmcd » Oct 25, 2022 4:18 pm

Depressing.

Suella Braverman did not mistakenly leak a meaningless document. She endlessly consulted a maverick. She deliberately emailed a policy doc not yet agreed to her pvt email. Then she sent it to John Hayes and someone she thought was his wife. Then lied to PM about when it was sent

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/sta ... 3703396352
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6828  Postby ronmcd » Oct 25, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm quite angry now. We can't even say "the adults are back in charge", as people have claimed/hoped. No adult puts Braverman in charge of the home office again.

Staggering.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6829  Postby minininja » Oct 25, 2022 6:26 pm

Dominic Raab, James Cleverly, Suella Braverman, Grant Shapps, Therese Coffey, Steve Barclay, Michael Gove. Same bunch of cunts, arseholes, and idiots, different day. And a pledge to continue with the manifesto (putting the Tories first and driving us towards fascism) as an excuse not to have an election. We need to get serious about protesting, continually and as many people as possible, while we still can. Otherwise the only option left will be riots.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6830  Postby mindhack » Oct 25, 2022 7:26 pm

I would assume Truss nor Sunak have a democratic mandate. I don’t understand why there isn’t an election planned. How come the Tories can keep shuffling their peers into positions of power while constantly making a mess. When is the moment ordinary people can have a say again?
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#6831  Postby Tortured_Genius » Oct 25, 2022 8:08 pm

mindhack wrote: When is the moment ordinary people can have a say again?

January 2025.

We're fucked.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6832  Postby Thommo » Oct 25, 2022 8:13 pm

mindhack wrote:I would assume Truss nor Sunak have a democratic mandate. I don’t understand why there isn’t an election planned. How come the Tories can keep shuffling their peers into positions of power while constantly making a mess. When is the moment ordinary people can have a say again?

Constitutionally that part of the system is not really any different to how it works in the Netherlands, a government is formed if there is someone who can be invited to form one (in the UK, in a formal technical sense by the monarch) because they command the support of the majority of parliament (in the UK, the House of Commons).

The pragmatic difference in the Netherlands is that governments tend to be coalitions arising from proportional representation. Because they take a long time to negotiate and when they fall apart the divisions are typically between parties, rather than within them the norm is an election. In the UK most prime ministers take office without a general election.

From a systemic point of view this has advantages - the reason we *could* get rid of Boris in the first place is precisely because we have a system that allowed the Conservatives to continue in power. If we changed the rules to disallow this rather than having a general election now, we would still have Boris.

Incidentally, because of the peculiarities of the British system although the words "peer" and "colleague" are usually interchangeable, "Tory peers" and "Tory colleagues" tend to be rather different things, with peers being the term used not to refer to elected MPs, but to unelected members of the House of Lords. There's nothing wrong with what you say, but it can lead to confusion in the context.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6833  Postby Matt_B » Oct 25, 2022 8:50 pm

There is an election planned... for 2024.

The idea that newly appointed PMs need a mandate from the public has mostly been confined to the ones who enjoyed a massive lead in the polls and wanted to enhance their majority. The reality is that they don't, and they probably won't if they think it'll lose them seats. That was as true for James Callaghan and Gordon Brown as it is for Rishi Sunak so it's not just a Tory thing.

Given that pretty much every Tory MP would be terrified of losing their seat right now, I'd fully expect them to keep pumping out human shields as prime ministers until the clock runs down. An election is the last thing they want even if it's what the country really needs.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6834  Postby Thommo » Oct 25, 2022 8:55 pm

Matt_B wrote:There is an election planned... for 2024.

It could be as late as January 2025.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6835  Postby ronmcd » Oct 25, 2022 9:01 pm

minininja wrote:Dominic Raab, James Cleverly, Suella Braverman, Grant Shapps, Therese Coffey, Steve Barclay, Michael Gove. Same bunch of cunts, arseholes, and idiots, different day. And a pledge to continue with the manifesto (putting the Tories first and driving us towards fascism) as an excuse not to have an election. We need to get serious about protesting, continually and as many people as possible, while we still can. Otherwise the only option left will be riots.

Oh, and Gavin Williamson.

Yes, Gavin Williamson.

:shock:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6837  Postby Matt_B » Oct 25, 2022 9:23 pm

Thommo wrote:

Truss actually said 2024 at one point although, much like everything else she's ever said, we probably should be taking that with a pinch of salt.
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6838  Postby ronmcd » Oct 25, 2022 10:52 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thommo wrote:

Truss actually said 2024 at one point although, much like everything else she's ever said, we probably should be taking that with a pinch of salt.

General Elections tend to happen in May, I think it's to maximise the turnout more than anything. So I suspect most politicians expect it will be spring 2024 but possibly later in 2024 before the weather turns. If there's an election at the very last moment, ie Jan 2025, it will only be because the ruling party want a lower turnout. Which they might.

edit - of course as you say, Truss may just have been completely wrong lol
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6840  Postby ronmcd » Oct 29, 2022 6:29 pm

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1586403302664609792

Detail about this hack which is alleged to have happened during the leadership contest:

“Her phone was reportedly compromised when Ms Truss was Foreign Secretary, but the details were suppressed by Johnson and the Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, who ordered a news blackout”
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs