Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#6861  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 11, 2022 6:35 pm

The latest Tory debacle drips with irony:



For those who (probably wisely) haven't been keeping up with the Tory shenanigans, Sir Gavin Williamson resigns after bullying claims (BBC)

Sir Gavin Williamson has resigned as a government minister after allegations of bullying, saying he aims to clear himself of "any wrongdoing”.

The MP had been accused of sending abusive messages to a fellow Tory MP last month and of bullying a senior civil servant as defence secretary.


That's him fronting the Tory anti-bullying initiative in November 2020.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
User avatar
Tortured_Genius
 
Posts: 2460
Age: 61
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6862  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 17, 2022 10:42 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63668626

Rupert Murdoch pays £11,000 for Boris Johnson to visit


It's astounding that this corruption persists - Murdoch should have been staked through the heart and buried long ago - metaphorically of course.

Whatever ire we may have for any given politician, their influence has been transient and limited comparative to the long, insidious corruption of our political institutions by sleazeballs like Murdoch circumventing the democratic process for personal gain.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6863  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 17, 2022 11:46 pm

To be fair, £11,000 is pocket change to both Murdoch and Johnson.

Of far more concern is the influence wielded by Murdoch in acting as kingmaker and directing politicians based far more on power and influence than mere money.

I've no idea how you could legislate against the 0.0001% abusing their positions of power and influence, especially when it's in the form of mutual backscratching and use of soft power rather than pinned to concrete things like envelopes stuffed with cash.

Let's face it, the bastards have always done this for fellow members of the elite club.

Elimination of the 0.0001% would seem to be the only practical option.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
User avatar
Tortured_Genius
 
Posts: 2460
Age: 61
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6864  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 18, 2022 12:52 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:To be fair, £11,000 is pocket change to both Murdoch and Johnson.


It's not the amount that's really important, though, although it's obviously a motivating factor - I'll bet BoJo wouldn't turn down 11k even if it amounts to a relatively small portion of his monthly income.


Tortured_Genius wrote:Of far more concern is the influence wielded by Murdoch in acting as kingmaker and directing politicians based far more on power and influence than mere money.


Aye, this is the point - the influence wielded by a single unelected, self-interest driven individual over what is nominally a democracy, i.e. people power representing the same peoples' interests.


Tortured_Genius wrote:I've no idea how you could legislate against the 0.0001% abusing their positions of power and influence, especially when it's in the form of mutual backscratching and use of soft power rather than pinned to concrete things like envelopes stuffed with cash.


I think we could, but there's never a will to do so once you've won your position of power to enact such change by, at least in some part, the corruptness of that system.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6865  Postby Alan C » Nov 19, 2022 3:00 am

It boggles me that that bastard is still alive at 91. The wrong people are dying young lately in my opinion.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
User avatar
Alan C
 
Posts: 2910
Age: 46
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6866  Postby THWOTH » Nov 20, 2022 10:25 am

"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6867  Postby THWOTH » Nov 20, 2022 10:38 am

George Monbiot, above: "The faces may change, but the fundamental policies do not. There is an elite consensus around deregulating business and re-regulating citizens. And what that means is basically preventing citizens from getting in the way of capital. And it's particularly telling that these new highly repressive laws are aimed a environmental campaigners, the people who question the very model of economic growth; who point out that business as usual is destroying the living world."
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6868  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2022 1:36 pm

It's the same point many people from different disciplines have raised: the tenor of neo-liberalism has changed with the advent of big data. The citizen's just not that important any longer as the basal unit for which society is structured to serve.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6869  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 23, 2022 2:15 am

Rhetorical question #99999: Is it mandatory for right-wing/authoritarian politicians to lack any sense of irony in regard to their own actions?

Owen Paterson takes UK government to European court over lobbying probe (BBC)

Ex-minister Owen Paterson is taking the UK government to the European Court of Human Rights over a standards watchdog verdict that he broke lobbying rules.

He resigned from Parliament last year after he was found to have abused his role as an MP while working for two firms as a paid consultant.

The ex-Tory MP is taking legal action in Strasbourg over the investigation, which he says was unfair.

The UK government says it is aware of the court action.

Mr Paterson, a leading Eurosceptic who once campaigned for the UK to break away from the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), argues that the standards watchdog ruling "damaged his good reputation".
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
User avatar
Tortured_Genius
 
Posts: 2460
Age: 61
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6870  Postby THWOTH » Nov 24, 2022 2:46 am

:lol:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6871  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 14, 2022 1:59 pm

I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6872  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 14, 2022 8:52 pm

Spearthrower wrote:It's the same point many people from different disciplines have raised: the tenor of neo-liberalism has changed with the advent of big data. The citizen's just not that important any longer as the basal unit for which society is structured to serve.


That's an issue I've been taking note of for some time - the manner in which the über-rich have been seeking ways of decoupling themselves from any economic reliance upon the "plebs". Hence the increasing extent to which institutions such as the Stock Exchange are being turned into magic money trees for said über-rich.

Their ultimate aim is to build an entirely separate economy from that the rest of us live in. An economy that's based upon multiplying their billions via processes that make no actual contribution to the real economy, but which instead involve what can possibly be described as "accounting witchcraft". Actually making products that the rest of us use, is something they're looking to get away from as quickly as possible, because that involves costs before the revenue comes in, and worse still, involves giving money to the "plebs".

It's the reason they're spending so much money on AI and robots - their ultimate aim is to cut the"plebs" out of any opportunity to make a living. Once they've achieved that aim, your guess is as good as mine what they'll seek to do with the "plebs" they've bullied out of the economy, and if your guess is darkly dystopian, it's probably correct.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22308
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#6873  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Dec 14, 2022 9:39 pm

Calilasseia wrote:It's the reason they're spending so much money on AI and robots - their ultimate aim is to cut the"plebs" out of any opportunity to make a living. Once they've achieved that aim, your guess is as good as mine what they'll seek to do with the "plebs" they've bullied out of the economy, and if your guess is darkly dystopian, it's probably correct.

one of them movies is called Elysium :coffee:
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
User avatar
Agi Hammerthief
 
Posts: 3077
Age: 49
Male

Country: .de
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6874  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 14, 2022 10:11 pm

Which simply reinforces another Idea I've had - every utopian ideal can, and almost certainly will, be twisted at some point by the rich and powerful to become a dystopia for the poor and powerless.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22308
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6875  Postby THWOTH » Dec 15, 2022 8:59 am

We already have a two-tier economy, but alas we keep voting for millionaires who say they have our best interests at heart.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6876  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 15, 2022 9:40 am

Calilasseia wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:It's the same point many people from different disciplines have raised: the tenor of neo-liberalism has changed with the advent of big data. The citizen's just not that important any longer as the basal unit for which society is structured to serve.


That's an issue I've been taking note of for some time - the manner in which the über-rich have been seeking ways of decoupling themselves from any economic reliance upon the "plebs". Hence the increasing extent to which institutions such as the Stock Exchange are being turned into magic money trees for said über-rich.

Their ultimate aim is to build an entirely separate economy from that the rest of us live in. An economy that's based upon multiplying their billions via processes that make no actual contribution to the real economy, but which instead involve what can possibly be described as "accounting witchcraft". Actually making products that the rest of us use, is something they're looking to get away from as quickly as possible, because that involves costs before the revenue comes in, and worse still, involves giving money to the "plebs".

It's the reason they're spending so much money on AI and robots - their ultimate aim is to cut the"plebs" out of any opportunity to make a living. Once they've achieved that aim, your guess is as good as mine what they'll seek to do with the "plebs" they've bullied out of the economy, and if your guess is darkly dystopian, it's probably correct.



The only thing I'd say about this is that I never envision such things occurring as the result of some master plan concocted by geniuses plotting an ultimate societal coup. Rather, it's the slow erosion of legal and social boundaries by greedy people for immediate benefit exploiting whatever modicum of power they have to their local and contemporary ends without caring what damage is done elsewhere or elsewhen.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6877  Postby Tortured_Genius » Dec 16, 2022 9:19 am

None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
User avatar
Tortured_Genius
 
Posts: 2460
Age: 61
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6878  Postby THWOTH » Dec 17, 2022 8:44 am

:tehe:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6879  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 17, 2022 9:48 am

THIS ...

Irony Is Dead The Reeks Of Smug Version.jpg
Irony Is Dead The Reeks Of Smug Version.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22308
Age: 61
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tory Party watch

#6880  Postby THWOTH » Dec 17, 2022 6:04 pm

No blue tick so obvs fake.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

cron