Turkey denies existence of a ceasefire with YPGdominated SDF

in Syria

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Turkey denies existence of a ceasefire with YPGdominated SDF

#1  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Turkey denies existence of a ceasefire with YPG-dominated SDF in Syria

A senior Turkish military official denied that Turkey and the U.S. reached a "loose" agreement to stop fighting between Turkish forces and YPG-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

"We are not aware of such an agreement. If the U.S. announced such a thing that means they are trying to present terrorist organizations as formal parties as if we deal with them" the Turkish official said. Turkey says the SDF is largely controlled by the YPG -- the armed units of the PYD-- which is functioning as Syrian branch for internationally-designated terrorist organization the PKK.

Turkish officials say they don't recognize the SDF as a legitimate counterpart either. "We believe the U.S. officials slammed them to stop firing at us. Now they try to propagate this as a ceasefire," the official added.

Earlier on Tuesday, a U.S. defense official told AFP that US received assurance that all parties involved are going to stop shooting each other and focus on DAESH.

However, Turkey says its operations in Syria's Jarablus and beyond are depending on how YPG forces would behave. A Turkish Foreign Ministry statement said that Turkey expects YPG forces to retreat to eastern side of the river Euphrates and stated that U.S. officials statements on Turkey's intentions were 'unacceptable'.

Somebody is lying. Just with 350 soldiers Turkish army got back Jarablus, took down DAESH flag on our border in a few days with no support from the ten or eleven alliance against terrorism in that region.

Interesting article, battlefield in Syria is really like a carnival place. I wonder how many died as a result of friendly fire, one month ally turning into enemy on another.

In Syria, Rebels Threaten Kurdish-Controlled Territory as U.S. Allies Clash
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Re: Turkey denies existence of a ceasefire with YPGdominated SDF

#2  Postby Weaver » Aug 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Yeah. No support - except for the US and other allied airstrikes into the region during Turkey's assault.

https://www.rt.com/usa/357085-us-suppor ... ria-kurds/

You really need to get some reliable news sources.

(Not that I consider RT to be particularly reliable - but Reuters wrote the article, and they are ...)
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mindhack » Aug 31, 2016 8:52 am

Weaver wrote:Yeah. No support - except for the US and other allied airstrikes

Plus hundreds of FSA rebels I believe.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#4  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 31, 2016 12:56 pm

mindhack wrote:
Weaver wrote:Yeah. No support - except for the US and other allied airstrikes

Plus hundreds of FSA rebels I believe.

FSA is there of course but when I said there was no support what I meant was a proper army, not a group of gangs we trained in Isparta in the last years. Naming them as support would be as funny as naming Iraqi army in the coalition of the willing doing such jokes are unique to USA :coffee:

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Aug 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Damascus armed PYD to prevent foreign incursion, claims Syrian MP

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – The Syrian government armed the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) in the northern part of the country to prevent foreigners from entering these areas, a Kurdish lawmaker in the Syrian parliament claimed. He also condemned Turkey’s incursion into Syrian territory.

“The Syrian government armed the PYD in order to protect the people and the land and prevent foreign forces from coming into these areas. We do not want any party to oppress the PYD and they do not have to oppress anybody in return,” Riaz Tauws, a Kurdish-Syrian MP, told Rudaw TV.

The Kurdish MP also accused the US of supporting Turkey’s military operations inside Syria.

“The Americans told Turkey to enter Syria,” he said, adding that “Iran, Russia and many other countries are against such an incursion by Turkey.”

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/290820166

----

Who understands this mess? I sure dont.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 01, 2016 11:34 am

Free Syrian Army doubts US support in Syria operation

The Free Syrian Army (FSA) has blamed the U.S.-led coalition for failing to provide air support in time to them and the Turkish armed forces during an attack in northern Syria's western Jarabulus late Tuesday.

"We could have lost many people," an FSA source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to safety reasons, told Anadolu Agency Wednesday.

"Americans had promised to provide air support in case of an emergency, but they did not.

"They should have helped; however, the air intervention came in late because of them. Turkish jets arrived in the last minute," the source added.

On Tuesday evening, Turkish soldiers were wounded and a tank was also slightly damaged in a rocket attack carried out by terrorists in western Jarabulus at around 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT) Tuesday, according to a statement issued by the Turkish military.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby mindhack » Sep 01, 2016 4:56 pm

tuco wrote:Damascus armed PYD to prevent foreign incursion, claims Syrian MP

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – The Syrian government armed the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) in the northern part of the country to prevent foreigners from entering these areas, a Kurdish lawmaker in the Syrian parliament claimed. He also condemned Turkey’s incursion into Syrian territory.

“The Syrian government armed the PYD in order to protect the people and the land and prevent foreign forces from coming into these areas. We do not want any party to oppress the PYD and they do not have to oppress anybody in return,” Riaz Tauws, a Kurdish-Syrian MP, told Rudaw TV.

The Kurdish MP also accused the US of supporting Turkey’s military operations inside Syria.

“The Americans told Turkey to enter Syria,” he said, adding that “Iran, Russia and many other countries are against such an incursion by Turkey.”

http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/syria/290820166

----

Who understands this mess? I sure dont.

The video below, from 2013, covers the above quite well I think.

(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » Sep 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Thanks mindhack.
tuco

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs