UK Coalition watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Coalition watch

#7381  Postby chairman bill » Aug 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:... as a defender of truth, justice, fairness, liberty and things like that ...

Jonathan Aitken, eat your bloody heart out. :lol:
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7382  Postby chairman bill » Aug 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I find it hard to believe that you've never seen me criticise coalition policy.
I'm struggling to remember when you have ever done so.

Do you have an example of a coalition policy you believe is illiberal?
Well I listed a few previously. Maybe he was thinking of those.

... I, being the sole official liberal here ...
An official liberal? Have you got a certificate or something? Maybe a Charter Mark? Or maybe you're spouting bollocks, again.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7383  Postby smudge » Aug 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

The fact that you never point to specifics.....

The specifics are your posts. Almost all of them.

I haven't read every post you have ever written - but I have never seen you criticise coalition policy. I've never seen you criticise a Tory policy either for that matter. Clearly that does not mean you have never done so. As I am not the only one on the forum who seems to have missed your (alleged) Coalition/Tory critical posts, please do let us know, what are the Coalition policies you disagree with (if any). Which Tory policies do you disagree with (if any)?

Almost all of my posts are suggestive, but you haven't read them all. Brilliant.

Thats not what was said and I'm sure you know it.

Strontium Dog wrote:
Do you have an example of a coalition policy you believe is illiberal? Then I can explain either (a) why it isn't illiberal or (b) why I, being the sole official liberal here, do not support it.

Ah. More distortion and evasion.

Clearly you are trying to be amusing. Your attempts at humour are not really to my taste - I must admit I kinda thought we were having a serious discussion :oops: .

I guess it is rather funny. In a certain sense at least....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7384  Postby chairman bill » Aug 19, 2014 8:14 am

Lying, cheating, deceitful shitstain of a government (part 1147)

Spending watchdog accuses DWP of hiding universal credit's failings
Public accounts committee says that categorising the scheme as 'reset' may have been to prevent scrutiny and hide problems
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/19/universal-credit-failings-pac-accuses-dwp
Parliament's public spending watchdog has today accused ministers in the Department for Work and Pensions of hiding the failings of the coalition's troubled universal credit scheme.

The public accounts committee said the decision to devise a new category of "resetting" projects could have been a way of preventing scrutiny and obscuring problems.

Universal credit is the £2.4bn centrepiece of Iain Duncan Smith's reform programme and involves merging six different benefits, with the claimant receiving a single monthly household payment.

Ministers started implementing it three years ago, but have been criticised by successive watchdogs for failing to come clean about the problems the DWP has experienced with the technology.

The assessment comes in a report by MPs on the Major Projects Authority, the government watchdog responsible for assessing the scheme's implementation.

According to the report, the DWP, in consultation with the MPA, published their delivery confidence assessment of the universal credit project as "reset" in September 2013. It was a new term that appeared to have been devised specifically for the the new programme, committee members said.

"We are particularly concerned that the decision to award a 'reset' rating to the universal credit project was an attempt to keep information secret and prevent scrutiny," the report said.

"The 'reset' category was introduced for the 2013-14 report and was only applied to this one project. The MPA confirmed that the decision to give universal credit a reset rating was ultimately made by ministers," it added. (cont)
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7385  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm

smudge wrote:Ah. More distortion and evasion.

Clearly you are trying to be amusing. Your attempts at humour are not really to my taste - I must admit I kinda thought we were having a serious discussion :oops: .

You claim I'm a Tory, yet when asked to provide specific evidence of me supporting things that aren't consistent with me being a Lib Dem, you clam up.

The moderators in their infinite wisdom have decided that it's fine to hurl the pejorative "Tory" at me as much as you like, but don't think for one moment that many people here are impressed by your baseless slurs, nor the manner in which you refuse to substantiate them.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7386  Postby chairman bill » Aug 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:You claim I'm a Tory, yet when asked to provide specific evidence of me supporting things that aren't consistent with me being a Lib Dem, you clam up.

I think you'll find that the claim was that you appear to be a Tory supporter, and you asked for evidence of you supporting things not consistent with liberalism, not with being a LibDem. They are not the same thing.

Now, I've previously noted that the LibDems have supported the illiberal Immigration Bill, the illiberal Justice & Security Bill (& secret courts), the illiberal destruction of Legal Aid, the illiberal retro-active amendment of Tory 'workfare' legislation, & illiberal gagging clauses on charities & Trades Unions, so I can understand you wanting to shift the goalposts a little, but don't imagine we haven't noticed.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7387  Postby ED209 » Aug 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:...don't think for one moment that many people here are impressed by your baseless slurs, nor the manner in which you refuse to substantiate them.

It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7388  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 19, 2014 10:52 pm

chairman bill wrote:Are you deliberately being fucking obtuse? Your conflation of LibDem with the entirety of liberalism & liberal actions, is dishonest, stupid, or both. Your deceitful twisting of arguments, to your own apologetic ends, is well noted.

Are you therefore suggesting that the Lib Dems aren't liberals? It's hard to follow the argument.

I would venture that the Lib Dems are the only major liberal party in the UK.

chairman bill wrote:The LibDems have supported the illiberal Immigration Bill, the Justice & Security Bill (& secret courts), the destruction of Legal Aid, the retro-active amendment of Tory 'workfare' legislation, & gagging clauses on charities & Trades Unions. Oh, but according to you, only they give a shit about freedom & liberty & liberalism. Yeah, right.

At least you're giving me something to work with here, finally, after umpteen requests.

Okay, let's take them one by one.

- The Immigration Bill: I'm unsure as to what you're referring, nor am I familiar with any Lib Dem support for illiberal immigration policy. Perhaps you can clarify? Should any illiberal Immigration Bill exist then I, as a militantly pro-immigration liberal, would certainly oppose it.

- Secret Courts: was explained at the time, by me, that it's not what its critics would have you think

- "Destruction" of Legal Aid: Britain has the highest per capita Legal Aid spend in the world. Perhaps you can explain how spending more on Legal Aid than any other country is tantamount to "destroying" Legal Aid? Perhaps you can explain how attempting to rein in Legal Aid costs is illiberal?

- Retro-active amendment of Tory 'workfare' legislation: While I had plenty to say about workfare, I don't recall actually having a position on retroactive amendments, although I remember a Tory friend of mine (a real Tory, that is) being pleased that the courts struck it down, because his position is that retroactive legislation is always wrong, and who am I to argue with a lawyer. I also seem to remember that less than 50 Labour MPs opposed it? Perhaps most Labour MPs are secretly Tory, then? It's getting hard to keep track.

- Gagging clauses on charities & Trades Unions: Not sure where trade unions come into it, although this is what I posted regarding charities:

Strontium Dog wrote:So essentially, charities want to keep getting government money while acting as mouthpieces for Labour Party policy.

Always loved this Guido quote:

A charity that relies in the main part on taxes is no more a charity than a prostitute is your girlfriend.

Of course, this is the problem when there is such a clear conflict of interest. The Institute of Economic Affairs produced an excellent report on the independence of charities which I heartily recommend.

Today the IEA releases a paper – Sock-Puppets: How the government lobbies itself and why – which shows that the situation may be more serious than critics have realised. It argues that state-funding of charities and pressure groups constitutes a form of modern patronage, with groups whose ideology supports that of the political elite being given public money and a seat at the table while the rest of civil society is left out in the cold.

Perhaps you could explain how my stance is inconsistent with advancing liberty?
Last edited by Strontium Dog on Aug 19, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7389  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 19, 2014 10:55 pm

chairman bill wrote:I think you'll find that the claim was that you appear to be a Tory supporter, and you asked for evidence of you supporting things not consistent with liberalism, not with being a LibDem. They are not the same thing.

In that case, please feel free to address this in the post above:

Strontium Dog wrote:Are you therefore suggesting that the Lib Dems aren't liberals?

chairman bill wrote:Now, I've previously noted that the LibDems have supported the illiberal Immigration Bill, the illiberal Justice & Security Bill (& secret courts), the illiberal destruction of Legal Aid, the illiberal retro-active amendment of Tory 'workfare' legislation, & illiberal gagging clauses on charities & Trades Unions, so I can understand you wanting to shift the goalposts a little, but don't imagine we haven't noticed.

No goalposts have been moved, and I addressed these things above.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7390  Postby smudge » Aug 20, 2014 7:07 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:Ah. More distortion and evasion.

You claim I'm a Tory, yet when asked to provide specific evidence of me supporting things that aren't consistent with me being a Lib Dem, you clam up.

The moderators in their infinite wisdom have decided that it's fine to hurl the pejorative "Tory" at me as much as you like, but don't think for one moment that many people here are impressed by your baseless slurs, nor the manner in which you refuse to substantiate them.

:point: :lol:
Hilarious! Thanks SD!
Your posts are evidence that you generally support Tory policies and are pretty right wing. This is apparent to anyone who follows this, or other threads, where you pop up regularly. When asked to list examples of posts where you have been critical of government or tory policies you either vanish or have a tantrum. Much to everyone's amusement! :lol:
You seem like a Tory to me. I suspect others would agree if they read a handful of your posts. I may be wrong. But I wonder why you find the description so irritating?
You're tendance to disappear when you've been 'found out' or 'corrected' is amusingly obvious to all. To accuse others of doing so is just fucking funny! :lol:
It sounds like you've gone crying off to the mods again and been ignored. :lol: Why don't you give these people a break SD?
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7391  Postby chairman bill » Aug 20, 2014 9:56 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Are you deliberately being fucking obtuse? Your conflation of LibDem with the entirety of liberalism & liberal actions, is dishonest, stupid, or both. Your deceitful twisting of arguments, to your own apologetic ends, is well noted.

Are you therefore suggesting that the Lib Dems aren't liberals? It's hard to follow the argument.
Just as cows are four-legged animals, but not all four-legged animals are cows, so LibDems are liberal, but not all liberals are LibDems. If that's still causing difficulties, get a responsible adult to talk you through it.

I would venture that the Lib Dems are the only major liberal party in the UK.
There's plenty that both Labour & Tory parties think & enact as policy, that can rightly be described as liberal. And as I've mentioned, there are policies enacted by this chimera government that are deeply illiberal, despite your oh-so-predictable denials.

- The Immigration Bill: I'm unsure as to what you're referring, nor am I familiar with any Lib Dem support for illiberal immigration policy. Perhaps you can clarify? Should any illiberal Immigration Bill exist then I, as a militantly pro-immigration liberal, would certainly oppose it.
Well the way that it denies access to accommodation (£3000 fines to landlords, having them act as border security, etc) & healthcare seems pretty illiberal to me. YMMV.

- Secret Courts: was explained at the time, by me, that it's not what its critics would have you think
Well it allows for secret courts to demand that journalists hand over notes, recordings, photos, shields government from evidence of its own wrongdoing, and so on. You might ask Dinah Rose QC & Professor Philippe Sands QC, both LibDem members who left the party over the matter, whether they think it an illiberal act. You could also ask those few LibDem MPs who voted with Labour (authoritarian, statist, Trotskyite enemies of freedom), whether they think so too.

- "Destruction" of Legal Aid: Britain has the highest per capita Legal Aid spend in the world. Perhaps you can explain how spending more on Legal Aid than any other country is tantamount to "destroying" Legal Aid? Perhaps you can explain how attempting to rein in Legal Aid costs is illiberal?
Maybe reining in costs isn't the issue, but then I suspect you know that are attempting a goalpost shift again.

- Retro-active amendment of Tory 'workfare' legislation: While I had plenty to say about workfare, I don't recall actually having a position on retroactive amendments, although I remember a Tory friend of mine (a real Tory, that is) being pleased that the courts struck it down, because his position is that retroactive legislation is always wrong, and who am I to argue with a lawyer. I also seem to remember that less than 50 Labour MPs opposed it? Perhaps most Labour MPs are secretly Tory, then? It's getting hard to keep track.
Again, some goalpost shifting going on. The issue, in case you've simply forgotten, is that those sole bastions against illiberalism, the LibDems, are in government, and that government put forward this illiberal legislation.

- Gagging clauses on charities & Trades Unions: Not sure where trade unions come into it, although this is what I posted regarding charities:

Strontium Dog wrote:So essentially, charities want to keep getting government money while acting as mouthpieces for Labour Party policy.

Always loved this Guido quote:

A charity that relies in the main part on taxes is no more a charity than a prostitute is your girlfriend.

Of course, this is the problem when there is such a clear conflict of interest. The Institute of Economic Affairs produced an excellent report on the independence of charities which I heartily recommend.
Avoiding the issue still. Government chooses to give money to charities to carry out work that the state should do. We could argue about that one, but I agree that it's wrong. But charities also have a role in campaigning, and gagging them is illiberal. As for your lie that they are mere mouthpieces for Labour policy - a comment beneath contempt.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7392  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Aug 20, 2014 10:09 am

Desperate, laughable stuff from SD.

I wonder why he bothers?
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7393  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

But, please, feel free to add some intelligent commentary, as opposed to this content-free hit-and-run trolling.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7394  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 20, 2014 11:11 am

smudge wrote: :point: :lol:
Hilarious! Thanks SD!
Your posts are evidence that you generally support Tory policies and are pretty right wing. This is apparent to anyone who follows this, or other threads, where you pop up regularly. When asked to list examples of posts where you have been critical of government or tory policies you either vanish or have a tantrum. Much to everyone's amusement! :lol:
You seem like a Tory to me. I suspect others would agree if they read a handful of your posts. I may be wrong. But I wonder why you find the description so irritating?
You're tendance to disappear when you've been 'found out' or 'corrected' is amusingly obvious to all. To accuse others of doing so is just fucking funny! :lol:
It sounds like you've gone crying off to the mods again and been ignored. :lol: Why don't you give these people a break SD?

I think you're the right-wing conservative.

Refusal to substantiate assertions. Opposition to change. Obstinately sticking to your opinion in the face of mountains of contradictory evidence. Fallacy after fallacy in place of reasoned argument. Lie after lie. Utter contempt for this valiant defender of liberty.

The clues were all there. Goodness knows how I managed to miss it.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7395  Postby Fallible » Aug 20, 2014 11:20 am

this valiant defender of liberty.

Who?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7396  Postby ED209 » Aug 20, 2014 11:25 am

Fallible wrote:
this valiant defender of liberty.

Who?

How very dare you, you, you... EVILDOER :snooty:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7397  Postby Fallible » Aug 20, 2014 11:31 am

Sorry, I thought he was talking about someone else, because I just couldn't see that someone would speak about themselves like that unless they were trolling.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7398  Postby chairman bill » Aug 20, 2014 11:41 am

Valiant defender of liberty? Like I said, Jonathan Aitken, eat your bloody heart out.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7399  Postby mrjonno » Aug 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Do British people even use the word 'liberty' any more, its only really used by American neocon's when they are going on about taxes (same as statism)

Not going to trust any politician who lives in a democracy who uses words like freedom or liberty, while you have fair elections the people are as 'free' as they want to be. When a politician uses it , then its just freedom to screw someone else over
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7400  Postby chairman bill » Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Freedom from exploitation, from illness, from poverty, from oppression, from fear, or from hunger, are all every bit as important as any freedom to do something. Some liberals fail to appreciate the fact.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs