UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#6801  Postby Byron » Mar 26, 2017 9:07 pm

ronmcd wrote:I'm not sure what power they have though? (Im not sure what power I'd want that group of cockwombles to have, but, then I think, May Davis Boris etc ... )

Formal power, none ATM, but they've packed the media and much of the Commons (the Cameroons are self-styled heirs to Blair), and if May looks like losing the financial passport and tariff/reg-free access to the EEA, the City and business -- the people who bankroll the Tories -- will turn on her with fury.

Both Blairites and headbangers are odious spivs, but between Blairites and bastards, the Blairites at least won't bankrupt the UK: since I want the union to be dissolved, preference would probably be for them to guide iEngland into the EEA while Scotland takes her own path, and N.I. comes to some kinda federal arrangement with Ireland.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6802  Postby angelo » Mar 27, 2017 10:31 am

Corneel wrote:
angelo wrote:The Guardian has as much credibility as The Daily Mail hasn't it?

Maybe in dark, fetal infested corners of the internet you just crawled out, but in the real world, no.

I could report this post as an attack on my person. But seeing where you're coming from, I would not waste my time!
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6803  Postby Corneel » Mar 27, 2017 10:40 am

angelo wrote:
Corneel wrote:

Maybe in dark, fetal infested corners of the internet you just crawled out, but in the real world, no.

I could report this post as an attack on my person.
Where, oh where did I attack your person. It's just a comment on the type of posting and links you usually come up with on this site.
But seeing where you're coming from, I would not waste my time!
Please explain.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6807  Postby Fallible » Mar 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Lol...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6808  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm

So the divorce will take place before the trade deal (which I have always said).

Brexit: EU's chief negotiator tells Theresa May she won't get a new trade deal if she slashes taxes and rights

A deal depends on 'fair competition and high environmental, social and consumer protection standards' Prime Minister is told

The EU’s chief negotiator has warned it will crush Theresa May’s hopes of a new trade deal if she slashes business taxes, workers’ rights and environmental standards.

Michel Barnier said an “ambitious free-trade agreement” was possible if the two sides can first reach agreement on the ‘divorce bill’, EU citizens’ rights and Northern Ireland’s border.

But he warned it could only be agreed “provided that it ensures fair competition and guarantees high environmental, social and consumer protection standards”.

The warning flows from the EU’s fears that Britain, under a Conservative Government, will embark on a “race to the bottom” after Brexit.

Ministers will come under pressure to slash so-called ‘red tape’ to win a competitive advantage – partly to compensate for being out of the EU’s single market and customs union.

At the weekend, The Independent revealed that Michael Gove wants to rip up Brussels regulations on clinical trials for new drugs and on building near protected wildlife habitats, for example.

Theresa May has promised to protect existing workers’ right, but the Government rebuffed an attempt to put that commitment into law.
He wrote: “This means agreeing on the orderly withdrawal of the UK before negotiating any future trade deal.

More...
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6809  Postby Alan B » Mar 27, 2017 3:59 pm

The EU’s chief negotiator has warned it will crush Theresa May’s hopes of a new trade deal if she slashes business taxes, workers’ rights and environmental standards.

Michel Barnier said an “ambitious free-trade agreement” was possible if the two sides can first reach agreement on the ‘divorce bill’, EU citizens’ rights and Northern Ireland’s border.

But he warned it could only be agreed “provided that it ensures fair competition and guarantees high environmental, social and consumer protection standards”.
My Bold.
I see. Does the EU trade with Saudi Arabia, China, India, etc.?

Seems like double standards here. :think:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6810  Postby ronmcd » Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Alan B wrote:

My Bold.

Not "free trade" though, which was the context. “ambitious free-trade agreement”

(I assume?)
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6811  Postby Corneel » Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Alan B wrote:

My Bold.

If the UK is satifisfied with getting the deal that those countries are getting at the moment, then there is no need for negociation over those points. It seems that Ms May is looking for a bit more.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6812  Postby Alan B » Mar 27, 2017 4:13 pm

I was thinking in terms of the "...high environmental, social and consumer protection standards”.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6813  Postby Tzelemel » Mar 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Alan B wrote:

My Bold.

I'm sorry, I'm confused as to what you're suggesting here.

A cursory glance at the EU-China trade webpage suggests that the trade agreement with China can't really be described as "ambitious free-trade".

To me, Barnier is suggesting that if we don't ensure "fair competition and... high environmental, social and consumer protection standards", then the best we can hope for is a trade agreement similar to that of China. I could be wrong, though, because, as I said, I've only taken a cursory glance at this, and I'm not an economist.
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6814  Postby Alan B » Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Perhaps I'm misreading this...

But, we'll see.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6815  Postby ronmcd » Mar 27, 2017 4:17 pm

He's surely saying ... actually I was going to try and rewrite it in my own words, but doesn't this actually say it? :smile:

ie It's saying in order to have a "free trade" agreement, which we have currently as part of EU but don't with other countries generally, we would need to agree to standards etc.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6816  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Anyone watching this thing they call Question Time? How in the hell did UKIP get so many people into the audience?

Talk about one sided. Why is UKIP there? They are not a party in Westminster. It is a typical BBC farce.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6817  Postby ronmcd » Mar 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Anyone watching this thing they call Question Time? How in the hell did UKIP get so many people into the audience?

Talk about one sided. Why is UKIP there? They are not a party in Westminster. It is a typical BBC farce.

I forgot it was on, I'll catch it later on ... Alex Salmond is on I believe? Always entertaining, as much because of how much the anti independence brigade on social media *hate* the man :smile: Even my dad hates him :smile: but I always like watching him.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6818  Postby Byron » Mar 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Corneel wrote:
Alan B wrote:
[...] But [Michel Barnier] warned it could only be agreed “provided that it ensures fair competition and guarantees high environmental, social and consumer protection standards”.
My Bold.

If the UK is satifisfied with getting the deal that those countries are getting at the moment, then there is no need for negociation over those points. It seems that Ms May is looking for a bit more.

Exactly, she wants EEA membership in all but name, with unrestricted access to the single market and the financial passport. With Britain's economy built on financial services, Brussels holds all the cards.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6819  Postby Byron » Mar 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Anyone watching this thing they call Question Time? How in the hell did UKIP get so many people into the audience?

They've been packing the audience for months. It's a joke, rarely worth watching, although Eck's always entertaining.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6820  Postby Byron » Mar 27, 2017 8:58 pm

And more generally, the BBC's been hopelessly subservient to Whitehall since the Hutton report castrated the corporation back in '04, forcing the resignation of its chairman and director general.

It's always been establishment, but at least used to have some measure of independence, and seriously challenged the government of the day. Now it's just a Whitehall Pravda, doing the government's bidding. Right now, that's bigging up Brexit: once May and her pack of bastards are driven from office, Auntie will bellow Ode to Joy if she's ordered.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs