UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#7241  Postby Byron » May 20, 2017 6:15 am

Well this is novel:-
Brexit talks are illegal as thousands of expats could not vote in EU referendum, says French lawyer

Julien Fouchet's suing the Commission to prevent Brexit negotiations. Probably come to nothing, but an indication of just how uncertain the whole business is, and what awaits if big business is seriously threatened. They'll have rather more than £15,000 to spend.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#7242  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 20, 2017 9:09 am

Interesting.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7243  Postby mrjonno » May 21, 2017 7:30 pm

After getting back from my hols in Germany and the Czech republic, on a coach tour with a bunch of English pensioners I have come to the two conclusions

1) Germany is superior to the UK in just about every single way and so is most of the rest of Europe
2) British culture and especially English culture is beyond redemption and the entire country needs to be de-Nazified (went to Nuremberg where they did the trials). It will probably take a generation and will almost certainly involve some rebranded concentration camps on the way.

We aren't all doomed just a lot of us and make sure you have the resources and skills to escape if neeed

Thanks for the listening to the MrJonno public service announcement, I will leave you to get back to debating trivial things like whether the railways should be nationalised or not
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7244  Postby ronmcd » May 21, 2017 8:41 pm

mrjonno wrote:
We aren't all doomed ...

I'm shocked. This has certainly come out of the blue. It's a turn up for the books.

ETC.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7246  Postby mrjonno » May 21, 2017 8:54 pm

ronmcd wrote:Is it just "the underclass" that's doomed now then?

Well Scotland might be ok if it cosies up with the French (you may well need their troops).

I'm certainly worried about ending up in a camp for unpatriotic activity as should most of the people on this forum
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7247  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 21, 2017 9:38 pm

ronmcd wrote:
mrjonno wrote:
We aren't all doomed ...

I'm shocked. This has certainly come out of the blue. It's a turn up for the books.

ETC.

Look Brits have no idea how the EU works. How EU societies exist. They read the Daily Wail and think the UK is the same as the rest of EU. It is not. There is no country in the EU that even approaches the UK. It is an arrogant very arrogant shit hole. I just wish the UK population just could experience how the EU works. It is so different.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7248  Postby Byron » May 21, 2017 10:00 pm

Varies by country, presumably! Including the U.K., which has been in longer than most members.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#7249  Postby Sendraks » May 22, 2017 10:10 am

Byron wrote:Well this is novel:-
Brexit talks are illegal as thousands of expats could not vote in EU referendum, says French lawyer

Julien Fouchet's suing the Commission to prevent Brexit negotiations. Probably come to nothing, but an indication of just how uncertain the whole business is, and what awaits if big business is seriously threatened. They'll have rather more than £15,000 to spend.

Which would surely certainly cement Brexit as the greatest political farce of the modern era?
Ok, the Trump Presidency is putting up some stiff competition but, if big businesses decided enough was enough.....
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#7250  Postby Byron » May 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Sendraks wrote:Which would surely certainly cement Brexit as the greatest political farce of the modern era?

That's in doubt? :D
Ok, the Trump Presidency is putting up some stiff competition but, if big businesses decided enough was enough.....

Big business, along with the overwhelming majority of the British establishment and deep state, who're terrified of having to take responsibility for Britain's failings, which is why May's Great British Brexit seeks to keep the status quo while pretending to leave. She stays only so long as the men in pinstripes decree it. Moment it looks like she's failed, their delegates in grey suits will pay her a house call.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#7251  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 30, 2017 10:15 am

Well this is what May et al have to face:

Painstaking detail of Brexit process revealed in EU documents

Policy papers released without fanfare elaborate bloc’s stance and make clearer its demands for protection of citizens’ rights

ust 10 days before the general election, the EU published two documents that will affect every person living in Britain for years to come. Despite being dropped into the maelstrom of an election caused by Brexit, there was hardly a murmur.

The documents were the most detailed positions yet from the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, on the upcoming divorce talks with the UK.

In two policy papers, the bloc has elaborated its stance on the Brexit bill and citizens’ rights.

Neither Theresa May nor Jeremy Corbyn referred to them directly during a 90-minute Sky/Channel 4 TV debate on Monday evening.

Both party leaders declared they would secure a good deal, without going into specifics on issues that the EU has already taken a position on.

The muted reaction can be explained partly by the fact that the texts were published with zero fanfare, when the country was still reeling from the terrorist atrocity in Manchester.

A confidante of French president Emmanuel Macron, she was speaking last month, shortly before she was named as France’s defence minister.

The EU needs to ensure it can protect its own institutions and positions, she said in an interview.

Protecting the EU single market and institutions was “the only way to build a sound new relationship, if we build something ambiguous then we will have a disaster … you want to take back control, we also want to keep control.”

More...

It is something the EU tends to be good at; drawing up documents in great detail.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7252  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 30, 2017 10:20 am

I have just been reading them. Boy oh boy they are detailed. Good luck May you will need it.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7253  Postby mrjonno » May 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah but the UK has faith and god on its side!
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7254  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 30, 2017 12:57 pm

It will need more than that I am afraid.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7255  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Davis seems already to have determined there wont be a deal (?).

Brexit negotiations: David Davis says EU demands on citizens’ rights are 'ridiculously high'

Brexit Secretary accuses Brussels of hardball tactics after European negotiators confirm rights should be extended to all family members of EU citizens living in UK

David Davis has said EU demands to protect its citizens’ rights in the UK are “ridiculously high” with just days to go until negotiations begin.

The Brexit Secretary accused Brussels of playing hardball after European negotiators confirmed rights should be extended to all family members of EU citizens currently living in the UK.

It comes after Theresa May reiterated her intention to walk away from the negotiating table with no deal if the EU does not give her what she wants.

More...

WTF does he expect? A bag of goodies?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7256  Postby mrjonno » May 30, 2017 3:40 pm

It's not in any politician's interest to get a good deal

UK falling out to WTF rules will protect the EU from contamination and keep May in power.

I don't think either side really wants a deal now
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7257  Postby Byron » May 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Good, good: the sooner the Three Stooges make a bollocks of it, the sooner grown-ups can enter the room.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#7258  Postby Byron » May 30, 2017 3:43 pm

mrjonno wrote:It's not in any politician's interest to get a good deal

UK falling out to WTF rules will protect the EU from contamination and keep May in power.

I don't think either side really wants a deal now

How's the implosion of the British economy gonna "keep May in power"?

Even accepting your boundless contempt for the UK electorate, the Blairite establishment and deep state ain't gonna sit around and let it happen. Her woeful campaigning in this needless general's already damaged the Iron Lady 2.0 brand beyond repair: collapsing Brexit negotiations would finish the job.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#7259  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Those documents are something else and that is only citizens' rights. The EU machine is well oiled.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7260  Postby mrjonno » May 31, 2017 6:25 am

How's the implosion of the British economy gonna "keep May in power"?

It gives her a common enemy Europe , foreigners, liberals, unpatriotic people and lets face it people like you and me
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs