UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

UK EU Referendum

#1  Postby Beatsong » Feb 20, 2016 2:06 pm

23rd of June, now confirmed. I'll be voting In. How 'bout you?

Loads of tory MPs, including high profile ones right up to cabinet level, already campaigning against Cameron for Brexit, whereas all of Labour apart from about 3 or 4 are united behind staying in. Obviously that's because Cameron is a strong and canny leader, while Corbyn is a weak and useless one.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: UK EU Referendum

#2  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Watching BBC news. Been watching for an hour or so? Interview after interview with OUT politicians, ministers, ex ministers.

Not one single remain argument.

Oh, and Holyrood elections, fucked.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 2:14 pm

The in people need to get a FUCKING GRIP right now. Only snippet of a in argument I saw in SKY was from Alex Salmond.

That's not going to cut it, people.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Feb 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Got couple of months to sort it out. Should be interesting to observe, or participate on, how democracy like the UK one will deal with this.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby mrjonno » Feb 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm sure the national debate will be almost be of the quality of the debate we get on this forum.

How people vote will almost universally be determined by age, education level and class and will have nothing to do with economic or political realities
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 2:34 pm

mrjonno wrote:I'm sure the national debate will be almost be of the quality of the debate we get on this forum.

How people vote will almost universally be determined by age, education level and class and will have nothing to do with economic or political realities

Hahahahaha
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Kaleid » Feb 20, 2016 2:43 pm

ronmcd wrote:The in people need to get a FUCKING GRIP right now. Only snippet of a in argument I saw in SKY was from Alex Salmond.

I can't decide whether it's that the stay campaigners aren't trying very hard, or they are but they're not visible because the Tory shills in our media are too busy frigging themselves off reporting the views of barking-mad cabinet members. I was convinced that we would vote to stay in the EU and win by a reasonably comfortable margin. I still think we will stay, but perhaps it'll be closer than we think.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Evolving » Feb 20, 2016 3:08 pm

I can't imagine what would induce me to vote "out".

And if that's the way the vote goes, I think the Scots should have another referendum. it's intolerable that they should be dragged out of the EU by England.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Olving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » Feb 20, 2016 3:09 pm

mrjonno wrote:I'm sure the national debate will be almost be of the quality of the debate we get on this forum.

Even if, better some debate than none, unless its completely pre-determined. And people .. you are people, here are people, people you are in contact with are people. This is, no doubt, important decision.
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Feb 20, 2016 3:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out.
Last edited by The Hanging Monkey on Feb 20, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Arnold Layne » Feb 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, with Gove and IDS on the "out" side, I reckon that will signal a landslide for remaining in.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Feb 20, 2016 3:16 pm

So if I vote "in" I get to piss Gove, IDS and Garage off all at the same time.

Oh, and Galloway.

Hmmm, what to do?
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Kaleid wrote:
ronmcd wrote:The in people need to get a FUCKING GRIP right now. Only snippet of a in argument I saw in SKY was from Alex Salmond.

I can't decide whether it's that the stay campaigners aren't trying very hard, or they are but they're not visible because the Tory shills in our media are too busy frigging themselves off reporting the views of barking-mad cabinet members. I was convinced that we would vote to stay in the EU and win by a reasonably comfortable margin. I still think we will stay, but perhaps it'll be closer than we think.

Exactly. I'm staggered that either A) the in campaign didn't realise the out campaign would be all over the media the moment Cameron announced the date, or B) they didn't think it was important to counter the arguments

Bizarre. I suspect the result may well be out, if this continues.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 3:23 pm

The Hanging Monkey wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out.

That was special, even by mrjonno standards :smile:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Beatsong » Feb 20, 2016 3:24 pm

mrjonno wrote:How people vote will almost universally be determined by age, education level and class and will have nothing to do with economic or political realities

"Almost universally"? Given that the demographics of age, education level and class in the UK are easily measured and the information about them freely available, the vote should be a forgone conclusion then and easy to predict. So which way will it go?
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Evolving wrote:I can't imagine what would induce me to vote "out".

And if that's the way the vote goes, I think the Scots should have another referendum. it's intolerable that they should be dragged out of the EU by England.

Even when EU pisses me off, I still can't for the life of me think what the advantages of being out would be, when we'd still be subject to the same rules to take part, but unable to have a say in them.

The greater worry of a UK exit might be consequent damage to Rep of Ireland, and it's border with EU through UK, and eventually the damage to the EU, which will affect us all.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#17  Postby ronmcd » Feb 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't necessarily think an EU exit leads to a new Scottish referendum, but I do think having the Holyrood elections - viewed in Scotland as at least as important as WM elections, probably more - utterly swamped by the UKIP/Tory EU arguments between now and May will piss off A VERY LARGE number of voters.

Imagine the WM elections being held in May, and the media utterly ignoring them and talking about Nicola Sturgeon and Kezia Dugdale from March right through to June. Imagine the annoyance.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Blackadder » Feb 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:Well, with Gove and IDS on the "out" side, I reckon that will signal a landslide for remaining in.

If the IN vote wins, can we still give IDS and Gove what they want by slinging them out of the country?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 20, 2016 4:16 pm

The number of kippers trolling the comment sections in the newspapers is amazing. You would think that everyone wants out.

I would not mind if the UK left as it would allow at long last for the EU to progress and more important discussions of major issues to take place.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Cameron's small-fry gains in Brussels will be debated for years

Europe has acceded to Cameron’s demand for Britain’s position to be restated when treaties are renegotiated, but no one is sure when that will happen

It is not often that Angela Merkel takes a back seat at a European summit. It is even rarer for François Hollande to play a prominent and decisive role. But while the French president was locked in tense one-on-one talks with David Cameron for hours at the “Brexit” summit, arguing over adjectives that sought to define the balance of power between countries using and not using the euro, a relaxed German chancellor found the time to stroll around a nearby square and enjoy the local culinary treat – a bag of chips.More...

Jam tomorrow?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs