UK General Election 2015

It is on, like Donkey Kong

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK General Election 2015

#21  Postby Thommo » Jan 08, 2015 6:40 pm

minininja wrote:Makes more sense to include the SNP AND the Greens.

Just want to add some points relating to Ofcom's decision about the Green Party:

• Long established, internationally grouped party that produces costed manifestos from extensive democratically decided polices,
  • Shadow spokespeople for ministerial positions, including a professor of economics (far more qualified than Osborne),
  • An MP elected in a General Election,
  • 3 MEPs actually working in Europe unlike most of UKIPs,
  • 2 members of the London Assembly and a member of the House of Lords
  • Numerous councillors across the country, opposition party in one council and minority leader in another,
  • Currently polling equal to the LibDems with an upward trend,
  • Membership increasing, doubled in the last year and on track to match UKIP,
  • 3rd party in poll asking "if you thought they could win who would you vote for",
  • 2nd party amongst students and 3rd amongst all voters under 40.

How can they say Greens are not a major party?

1 MP and under 1% of the vote in the last general election.

You might make some allowance for opinion polling which puts them at 7-8% comparable to the libdems, but averaging across such measures the greens are not a major party, they aren't in the same league as Labour 257 seats or the Conservatives with 303 seats, or even the libdems with 56 seats. There are more independents and Welsh nationalists in parliament than greens.
Thommo

Print view this post

#22  Postby minininja » Jan 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Thommo wrote:

You might make some allowance for opinion polling which puts them at 7-8% comparable to the libdems, but averaging across such measures the greens are not a major party, they aren't in the same league as Labour 257 seats or the Conservatives with 303 seats, or even the libdems with 56 seats. There are more independents and Welsh nationalists in parliament than greens.

But by that measure why are UKIP counted as a major party? It's not right to keep shifting the goalposts.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Thommo » Jan 08, 2015 7:18 pm

minininja wrote:
Thommo wrote:

But by that measure why are UKIP counted as a major party? It's not right to keep shifting the goalposts.

Greens 1 MP; UKIP 2.
Greens 0.96% vote share 2010; UKIP 3.1%.
Greens 3 MEPs; UKIP 24.
Green 8% Opinion polls; UKIP 14%.
Green 170 councillors; UKIP 370.

Now, it could be said that despite their momentum UKIP are still too small to be a major party (or indeed the libdems), but they are markedly ahead of the greens, so placing the cutoff between them is about as justified as placing it anywhere else, particularly given the momentum they have.

ETA: This is probably a better reflection of the current state of the polls:
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/uk-polling ... -average-2
Con 31; Lab 34; Lib 8; UKIP 15; Green 5

UKIP could perhaps be considered the 3rd party of British politics at the moment (although that is questionable), Greens are no better than 5th on any reasonable measure.
Thommo

Print view this post

#24  Postby minininja » Jan 09, 2015 1:32 am

But again you've selected some reasons why the Greens shouldn't be included when the LibDems are, then you've selected some different reasons why the Greens shouldn't when Ukip are. That's what the broadcasters did and now what Ofcom seem to have done. It's moving the goalposts. The decision of which parties to include has come first and justification second. It's the wrong way around. There should be clear definable reasons as to why a party should or shouldn't be included (ideally drawn up without the knowledge of which parties it would effect, though in the current situation that's not possible), then let everyone know what method is being used and stick to it consistently. By many different measures the SNP and Greens are at least on par if not ahead of UKIP and/or the Libdems, and the decisions seem entirely arbitrary.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2015 3:28 am

minininja wrote:But again you've selected some reasons why the Greens shouldn't be included when the LibDems are, then you've selected some different reasons why the Greens shouldn't when Ukip are.

No I haven't.

Look, I'll spell it out in more detail if you like:-

Greens 1 MP; UKIP 2; LibDem 56.
Greens 0.96% vote share 2010; UKIP 3.1%; LibDem 23%.
Greens 3 MEPs; UKIP 24; LibDem 1.
Green 5% Opinion polls; UKIP 15%; LibDem 8%.*
Green 170 councillors; UKIP 370; LibDem 2257.**

Across these measures the Greens are dead last of these three parties - by a mile.

What else could we look at that could be remotely relevant? Party membership?

Green 29,000; UKIP 39,000; Libdem 44,000; SNP 92,000; Con 134,000; Lab 190,000***

minininja wrote:That's what the broadcasters did and now what Ofcom seem to have done. It's moving the goalposts. The decision of which parties to include has come first and justification second.

Not remotely true. What on Earth do you base this on? I certainly didn't do it and I see not one scrap of evidence Ofcom did either - the Greens are the fifth party, well behind the libdems and UKIP on any sensible measures.

minininja wrote:It's the wrong way around. There should be clear definable reasons as to why a party should or shouldn't be included (ideally drawn up without the knowledge of which parties it would effect, though in the current situation that's not possible), then let everyone know what method is being used and stick to it consistently. By many different measures the SNP and Greens are at least on par if not ahead of UKIP and/or the Libdems, and the decisions seem entirely arbitrary.

The SNP have a far better claim than the greens do. What are these "many different measures" that put the greens ahead? I can't see a single one.

* http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/uk-polling ... -average-2
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... ed_Kingdom
*** http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... al-parties
Thommo

Print view this post

#26  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 09, 2015 10:14 am

It has already been stated. Cameron does not want to have a debate. He was told that the last one was very negative for him. Simply the git cant debate. He shouts but a structured debate no.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby ronmcd » Jan 09, 2015 10:34 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:It has already been stated. Cameron does not want to have a debate. He was told that the last one was very negative for him. Simply the git cant debate. He shouts but a structured debate no.

Yes, this. Cameron doesn't give a flying whatsit about the Greens, he is the incumbent and does not want any debates. Brown did them because his situation was dire.

Whichever way you cut it, the debates with Cam Clegg Mil & Farage would be an absolute democratic disgrace.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#28  Postby ED209 » Jan 09, 2015 11:07 am

ronmcd wrote:
Whichever way you cut it, the debates with Cam Clegg Mil & Farage would be an absolute democratic disgrace.

Isn't there some bbc scotland debate with the snp, how high-profile would that be?

Regardless the snp (and of course the greens) should be in a nationally televised debate because they will end up with MPs in the national government.

I'm not sharing cameron's assumption that the greens would significantly split the labour vote, he has miscalculated that the popular and likeable natalie bennett would fail to tear him a new arsehole with the torydems' shameful record on the environment. And social policy. And well, everything really.

A debate with only the blue yelow and purple tories would either leave labour looking like isolated and extreme leftists ( :lol: ) or more likely force miliband rightwards to fit what would be the concensus tory agenda. Including the greens and the snp would widen the agenda and pull it back to where it should be.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#29  Postby minininja » Jan 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Thommo wrote:
minininja wrote:But again you've selected some reasons why the Greens shouldn't be included when the LibDems are, then you've selected some different reasons why the Greens shouldn't when Ukip are.

No I haven't.

Greens 1 MP; UKIP 2; LibDem 56. - Greens barely behind UKIP
Greens 0.96% vote share 2010; UKIP 3.1%; LibDem 23%. - Greens barely behind UKIP
Greens 3 MEPs; UKIP 24; LibDem 1. - Greens ahead of LibDems
Green 5% Opinion polls; UKIP 15%; LibDem 8%. - Greens barely behind LibDems
Green 170 councillors; UKIP 370; LibDem 2257. - Greens not miles behind UKIP
Party membership Green 29,000; UKIP 39,000; Libdem 44,000; SNP 92,000; Con 134,000; Lab 190,000
If including the Scottish Greens - Green, UKIP, and Libdem are all in the same ballpark.

Thommo wrote:
minininja wrote:That's what the broadcasters did and now what Ofcom seem to have done. It's moving the goalposts. The decision of which parties to include has come first and justification second.

Not remotely true. What on Earth do you base this on? I certainly didn't do it and I see not one scrap of evidence Ofcom did either - the Greens are the fifth party, well behind the libdems and UKIP on any sensible measures.

And you've done it again - arbitrarily decided that according to an average of the measures you've used the fifth party is not a major one. There are many more parties than 5, and why 5th and not 3rd? There's no actual defined criteria. I don't even care which parties are included or not, the problem is the way it has been decided is wrong. It's entirely open to subjectivity, bias and even corruption. If this methodology was tried in science for selection of data samples it would be thrown out immediately.

The right way to do it would be pick some sensible criteria and stick to it. Say for example, -

To be considered a major party, any party must meet 2 out of 3 of the following:
  • Be standing enough candidates to theoretically hold a majority government, or a majority within whichever of the major geographical regions they stand.
  • Have membership greater than 0.1% of the electorate in the region they stand.
  • Have average polling over the 5% threshold for returning deposits by a predefined point before the election

It doesn't really matter what criteria are used, even if they are arbitrary figures, as long as they are moderately sensible, applied equally to all parties, and spelled out beforehand so at least parties know what they've got to aim for. - Rather than this "Comparing this party to that on this measure, and comparing them to another party on another measure, on balance we think..." bullshit, we've had from the broadcasters and Ofcom.
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Look understand Cameron does not want a debate. It has bugger all to do with the Green party.

It is obvious strings have been pulled.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#31  Postby mrjonno » Jan 09, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm not sharing cameron's assumption that the greens would significantly split the labour vote, he has miscalculated that the popular and likeable natalie bennett would fail to tear him a new arsehole with the torydems' shameful record on the environment. And social policy. And well, everything really

It will split the dead party vote (the Lib Dem's) which would have either gone to not bother to turn up or Labour.

Green party voters are more likely to be hate everyone else especially UKIP/BNP voters, I don't think their leader will make the slightest difference

I'm only interested in using the system to get the result I want , which is a Labour majority or Labour /SNP coalition
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby ED209 » Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I do buy that cameron wants the debates to be cancelled as popular debates lead to increased turnout and the higher the turnout the worse it will be for the torydems.

However, this will still bite him in the arse if the greens get a place as some youngsters, students and others who wouldn't otherwise watch (or vote tory) would then tune in.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#33  Postby mrjonno » Jan 09, 2015 3:25 pm

However, this will still bite him in the arse if the greens get a place as some youngsters, students and others who wouldn't otherwise watch (or vote tory) would then tune in.

But won't vote anyway

In the UK its a 2 party system Tories and Labour England/Wales Labour/SNP in Scotland

If you vote for anything else whether Green or UKIP all you are effectively doing is adding a random factor into which of the two big parties wins.

That's something I'm not going to do to make me feel good or to show it to the man
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby mattthomas » Jan 09, 2015 4:13 pm

mrjonno wrote:

But won't vote anyway

In the UK its a 2 party system Tories and Labour England/Wales Labour/SNP in Scotland

If you vote for anything else whether Green or UKIP all you are effectively doing is adding a random factor into which of the two big parties wins.

That's something I'm not going to do to make me feel good or to show it to the man

Thank you for showing why proportional representation makes sense :)
mattthomas

Print view this post

#35  Postby mrjonno » Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Thank you for showing why proportional representation makes sense

Whether you think its a good idea or not is irrelevant, we don't have it and after the Lib Dem's we certainly won't be on the agenda for generations

Back to reality what party would you prefer (not like) in government Labour or the Tories,
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby ronmcd » Jan 09, 2015 5:48 pm

ED209 wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

Isn't there some bbc scotland debate with the snp, how high-profile would that be?

Yep, what happened last time was the Scottish party leaders (I guess same in Wales, NI) had different debates. But the "leader" debates with Cameron Clegg and Brown were shown too. And clearly got much more prominence. Now that doesnt harm their parties, but it hugely harms the Scottish Greens, SNP etc. It's also interesting, I think, that there isn't a English "local" or "regional" debate. In other words, from the media standpoint, England = UK.

ED209 wrote:Regardless the snp (and of course the greens) should be in a nationally televised debate because they will end up with MPs in the national government.

Agreed. Other countries seem entirely capable of having considerable numbers of people on these debates. The fact is, this year of all years, Greens SNP Plaid could actually have a significant impact on the government, more so as a block (left of centre anti austerity policies) than UKIP. It wouldnt be on if they were left out. Legal action would follow.

ED209 wrote:I'm not sharing cameron's assumption that the greens would significantly split the labour vote, he has miscalculated that the popular and likeable natalie bennett would fail to tear him a new arsehole with the torydems' shameful record on the environment. And social policy. And well, everything really.

A debate with only the blue yelow and purple tories would either leave labour looking like isolated and extreme leftists ( :lol: ) or more likely force miliband rightwards to fit what would be the concensus tory agenda. Including the greens and the snp would widen the agenda and pull it back to where it should be.

They do represent significant voter share, they must be included, or no debates. Sadly, it's not how the establishment works, that democracy thing.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Thommo » Jan 09, 2015 7:59 pm

minininja wrote:
Thommo wrote:

No I haven't.

Greens 1 MP; UKIP 2; LibDem 56. - Greens barely behind UKIP
Greens 0.96% vote share 2010; UKIP 3.1%; LibDem 23%. - Greens barely behind UKIP
Greens 3 MEPs; UKIP 24; LibDem 1. - Greens ahead of LibDems
Green 5% Opinion polls; UKIP 15%; LibDem 8%. - Greens barely behind LibDems
Green 170 councillors; UKIP 370; LibDem 2257. - Greens not miles behind UKIP
Party membership Green 29,000; UKIP 39,000; Libdem 44,000; SNP 92,000; Con 134,000; Lab 190,000
If including the Scottish Greens - Green, UKIP, and Libdem are all in the same ballpark.

What point are you making? That a factor of three is "barely behind" is just nonsense - especially when you count MEPs (which aren't relevant to a general election) as an unqualified "ahead" despite being by a smaller margin. In each case you compare to the worst performer, not the average or better of the others and just fudge very large differences as "barely" different. This is just classic confirmation bias.

minininja wrote:
Thommo wrote:

And you've done it again - arbitrarily decided that according to an average of the measures you've used the fifth party is not a major one.

Clearly not. I don't say any of those parties were either major or minor, I looked up and presented exact facts and compared every one of those exact facts for every party under discussion. This is just a bizarre and pathetic attempt at a smear.

minininja wrote:There are many more parties than 5, and why 5th and not 3rd? There's no actual defined criteria. I don't even care which parties are included or not, the problem is the way it has been decided is wrong.

They are defined, although, yes, as I agreed before there is a certain degree of arbitrariness. That this arbitration goes against the greens who have got an insignificant share of the vote in the last few general elections and an insignificant number of members of parliament seems very reasonable.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... arties.pdf
At paragraph 3.33 of the PPRB Statement we said the list of major parties would be reviewed in accordance with the following principles:
• we would consider whether it is appropriate to review the list on a periodic basis i.e. we would only review the list if there were cogent reasons for doing so;
• mindful of the need for continuity and certainty in this area so that both political parties and broadcasters can plan ahead for elections, we would commence any reviews in the autumn preceding the relevant election(s) happening in the following May/June;
• in any review of the list we might carry out, we would take into account factors such as the electoral performance of parties (including the numbers of elected candidates and overall percentage of vote received) over a range of elections over at least two electoral cycles (including elections prior to the PPRB Consultation) for the different types of elect ions, and levels of current support;
• if a party's performance over several elections of the same type was significant but not reflected in other types of election, we would consider drawing up a specific list of major parties for that specific type of election;
• whenever we decide to review the list, we would publicly consult on any proposed changes, including obtaining input from the Electoral Commission on any proposed changes; and
•as appropriate, we would publicly consult only in relation to the relevant election or particular elections, rather than all possible types of elections.

For the purposes of this Review, we have considered whether the available evidence supports changing the list of major parties, and if so on what basis. For this purpose, we collated a comprehensive set of relevant electoral data, as reproduced in in Annex 2. In summary, this data comprises:
a) evidence of past electoral support: relevant data for past electoral performance in past General Elections and English local (and mayoral) elections over a number of years. In addition, we set out relevant data for past electoral performance in other types of election which have taken place since the 2010 General Election, and which are not being contested in May 2015;
and
b) evidence of current support: evidence of current support in relation to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as demonstrated by opinion poll data. In summary, this evidence, as laid out in Annex 2, paragraph A2.8 onwards, comprises of the following:

•England: as in the 2014 Review, we have used the Great Britain-wide polls as a proxy for gauging levels of current support in England only. The figures we used are contained in: the BBC ‘Poll of Polls’ (of Great Britain-wide polls); and the monthly polling reports produced by the Polling Observatory project; and
• Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland: we note that very few opinion polls relate individually to Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Nevertheless, we present the limited information that is available in Annex 2. The opinion poll data will be updated in advance of our decision on this matter.

For the purposes of this consultation, Ofcom has had regard to the totality of the evidence presented in Annex 2. A summary of the available evidence in each of the nations of the UK is set out below. England:
• in relation to the three existing major parties (the Conservative Party, the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats), they have each demonstrated: significant past electoral support in General Elections in England, all having achieved 22.9% of the vote and above in both 2005 and 2010; significant past electoral support in local elections in England, with their lowest share of the popular vote since 2009 being, respectively: the Conservative Party (25.9%); the Labour Party (12.7%) and the Liberal Democrats (11.1%). In addition, in relation to the relevant mayoral elections being contested in 2015 these three parties’ average share of the vote in previous elections for these posts has been: the Conservative Party (18.6%); the Labour Party (17.3%) and the Liberal Democrats (17.5%); and significant past electoral support in a range of other significant elections in England with the lowest share of the vote being 19.7% (in relation to the Conservative Party and the Labour Party). The Liberal Democrats have demonstrated lower levels of past electoral support in other significant elections in England since 2010, of between 4.2% and 9.5%;
• in terms of evidence of current support on the basis of the Great Britain-wide polls in 2014, these polls indicated significant support for the Conservative Party (31.3% to 32.6%) and the Labour Party (35.0%to 36.1%). The relevant polls indicated a lower level of support for the Liberal Democrats (8.2%to 8.8%);
• in relation to UKIP: this party has not demonstrated significant past electoral support in General Elections in England. In 2010 UKIP had 3.5% of the vote and in 2005 it had 2.5% of the vote; however UKIP has performed much more strongly in the last two sets of English local elections, in 2013 and 2014, obtaining 19.9% and 15.7% of the vote, respectively, in these years; in the two relevant mayoral elections it contested, UKIP obtained 5.4% share of the vote on average; UKIP demonstrated significant electoral support in the 2014 European Parliamentary elections, by being the largest party in England with 29.2% of the vote; in other significant elections in England since 2010 its share of the vote has been between 2.0% and 20.7%. In particular, UKIP has won its first two Westminster Parliamentary seats in by-elections; and in terms of current support, Great Britain-wide opinion polls in 2014 demonstrated significant levels of current support for UKIP over a sustained period with an average polling figure of 13.5% to 13.9%;

in relation to the Green Party:
this party has not demonstrated significant past electoral support in General Elections in England. In 2010, the Green Party had 1.0% of the vote(and winning one Westminster seat in England in the 2010 General Election) and in 2005 1.1% of the vote; in English local elections since 2009, the Green Party has obtained between 3.4% and 6.6% of votes. The Green Party’s average share of the vote in previous elections for mayoral posts has been 4.0%; the Green Party achieved 8.0% of the vote in the 2014 European Parliamentary elections in England. in other significant elections in England since 2010 its share of the vote has varied between 0.2% and 8.5%; and in terms of current support, Great Britain-wide opinion polls in 2014 show that the Green Party has
an average of 4.0%, with its highest share being 5.9% in December 2014; (and was 4.0% on average for 2014) in Great-Britain wide opinion polls. Taking together all the evidence, the criteria suggest that the Green Party (including the Scottish Green Party) has not sufficiently demonstrated evidence of past electoral support and current support to qualify for major party status in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

•no other parties have demonstrated significant levels of past electoral support or current support in England

The Green Party (including the Scottish Green Party):
This party has not demonstrated significant past electoral support in General Elections. This party has performed better in some elections (such as the 2014 European Parliamentary elections, obtaining 8.0% and 8.1% of the vote in England and Scotland). In terms of evidence of current support, this party’s opinion poll rating has increased in recent months to 5.9% in December 2014 (and was 4.0% on average for 2014) in Great-Britain wide opinion polls. Taking together all the evidence, the criteria suggest that the Green Party (including the Scottish Green Party) has not sufficiently demonstrated evidence of past electoral support and current support to qualify for major party status in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

2.18 UKIP:
In relation to this party we observed that:
a) UKIP has not demonstrated significant past electoral support in previous General Elections (achieving between 0.7% and
3.5% of the vote in England, Wales and Scotland in 2010 and between 0.4% and 2.5% of the vote in England, Wales and Scotland in 2005 nor ever won a Parliamentary seat at a General Election).
b) UKIP’s performance in a number of other significant forms of election has, however, been stronger. Notably, since the 2010 General Election:
• UKIP has won two seats in Parliament at recent by-elections. UKIP obtained 59.7% of the vote in Clacton on 9 October 2014 and 42.1% in Rochester and Strood on 20 November 2014. We recognised, however, that levels of support indicated by by-election outcomes may reflect specific circumstances that do not necessarily apply to a General Election;
• UKIP demonstrated a significant level of support in England and Wales in the European Parliament elections in 2014 (29.2% in England and 29.6% in Wales). UKIP’s share of the vote was lower in Scotland (10.5%); and
• UKIP has received significant levels of support in the English local elections (15.7% in 2014 and 19.9% in 2013).
c) The opinion poll data indicates that UKIP currently has significant levels of support in England and Wales to the extent that it has the third highest rating in those polls after the Conservative and Labour parties. Opinion poll data in Scotland shows lower levels of current support.
d) The level of support for UKIP exhibited in the opinion poll data for England and Wales has been growing steadily for a number of years in the period since the 2010 General Election (from an average of 7.4% in 2012 to an average 13.5% in 2014, in the BBC Poll of Polls, and from an average of 8.2% in 2012 to an average of 13.9% in 2014 in the Polling Observatory figures).

2.19 Taking together all the evidence, the criteria suggest that UKIP has sufficiently demonstrated evidence of past electoral support and current support to qualify for major party status in England and Wales for the purposes of the General Election and English local (and mayoral) elections in May 2015

minininja wrote:It's entirely open to subjectivity, bias and even corruption. If this methodology was tried in science for selection of data samples it would be thrown out immediately.

Compared to your method it fucking sparkles. :lol:

In fact scientists regularly use far more arbitrary selection techniques for what to study and consider important. As a preliminary estimate it's very thorough and professional. That document is 50 pages long.

minininja wrote:The right way to do it would be pick some sensible criteria and stick to it.

That's exactly what they have done. You just haven't bothered to look it up and instead are having a little whinge about it here.

minininja wrote:It doesn't really matter what criteria are used, even if they are arbitrary figures, as long as they are moderately sensible, applied equally to all parties, and spelled out beforehand so at least parties know what they've got to aim for. - Rather than this "Comparing this party to that on this measure, and comparing them to another party on another measure, on balance we think..." bullshit, we've had from the broadcasters and Ofcom.

That's exactly what they have done. Parties know that their performance is analysed (as detailed extensively above) by an average of election performances over the last few cycles with special emphasis place on elections of the same type and by reliable average of current UK polling performance. The only thing that isn't absolutely spelled out is an exact threshold, although there's a substantial history of these consultation documents that fixes the ranges for number of seats and opinion poll levels really quite accurately for those obsessed over the detail.

This degree of flexibility is no greater than that found in binding legal agreements and laws in many instances. Allowing for precedent and circumstance to be accommodated.
Thommo

Print view this post

#38  Postby Saim » Jan 09, 2015 11:37 pm

Whether or not they're a "major party", they should be allowed on the debates. They have representation in parliament.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#39  Postby OlivierK » Jan 10, 2015 1:50 am

I'm a Greens voter in Australia, and I think the Ofcom decision looks fine. As much as I think the UK would be better served by including the Greens in the debates, and that demanding high levels of success before allowing inclusion in such things as debates unreasonably creates barriers to entry, under the rules as they stand, Ofcom have simply done their job.

Minininja, your contention that a 0.96% vote share is barely less than a 3.1% vote share is untenable, as are many of your descriptions of Greens performance being close to other parties on measures where they are less than half as successful. I think it's reasonable to say that given that, for example the Greens have more MEPs than the LibDems, then they're fairly close to gaining major party status if they can improve their electoral performance. But that unique instance of the Greens' superior position says more about the imminent fall of the LibDems than anything else: some parties like the SNP and UKIP will overtake the LibDems at this general election, and by 2020, no doubt so will the Greens, Plaid Cymru and maybe even the MRLP. Beating the LibDems is a currency rapidly losing its value.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Thommo » Jan 10, 2015 2:07 am

OlivierK wrote:But that unique instance of the Greens' superior position says more about the imminent fall of the LibDems than anything else: some parties like the SNP and UKIP will overtake the LibDems at this general election, and by 2020, no doubt so will the Greens, Plaid Cymru and maybe even the MRLP. Beating the LibDems is a currency rapidly losing its value.

I'd take this bet. After the general election Clegg will be out and there's a very high chance the party will turn around. There are loads of natural liberals in the UK, and they don't have anywhere else to go. It is possible the SNP will get more seats in the 2015 general election than the libdems though, it will be interesting to find out, although I'm not really thrilled at the prospect of seeing nationalists squirrel away undeserved overallocation of taxes and other resources to particular regions in exchange for support to keep the country governed in a series of horse trades in a lame duck parliament.
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs