UK General Election 2015

It is on, like Donkey Kong

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

UK General Election 2015

#1  Postby ED209 » Jan 05, 2015 7:42 pm

The campaigns to form the government tasked with clearing up the torydems' mess have been launched. So with just 122 sleeps to go, we need a thread on the subject.

General election campaign 2015 kicks off – as it happened

After revealing a widely-ridiculed poster depicting a UK on the road to wiemar with the cracks airbrushed away that once more underlined their inability to either tell the truth or perform basic arithmetic, the blue tories continued with a meticulously choreographed synchronised swim in a gigantic pool filled with pure bullshit (demonstrating that the yellow tories have had an influence after all):

George Osborne’s dossier on Labour election pledges is distinctly dodgy

It takes a lot of nerve to accuse your opponents of profligacy when the country is in the red by more than £90bn and you have missed your deficit reduction targets by a country mile.

That, though, was George Osborne’s strategy as he kicked off the Conservative party’s 2015 election campaign with a claim that Labour’s spending pledges of £23bn made it unfit for office. The choice for the electorate in May was between competence and chaos, the chancellor said.

Despite being given the appearance and feel of the Treasury’s budget red book, Osborne’s 82-page dossier was in truth a bit dodgy. It was greeted with undisguised scepticism by the media, who quickly damned it as flawed...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/eco ... ctly-dodgy

Staggeringly mendacious behaviour from the party which has increased the national debt by more in just five years than the opposition has in history. What a bunch of cunts.

Meanwhile, labour's campaign aims to reach out to the public directly:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... versations

...and the greens will cut rail fares by 10% and renationalise the railways:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-fare-cut
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

Re: UK General Election 2015

#2  Postby mrjonno » Jan 05, 2015 8:20 pm

The winner will be the FTP the system, I suspect who forms the government and who gets the most votes is at best going to be very loosely related
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby ED209 » Jan 05, 2015 10:22 pm

It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#4  Postby Stumped » Jan 05, 2015 10:42 pm

The main parties are all corrupt and stupid. I'm voting Green again
Stumped

Print view this post

#5  Postby Beatsong » Jan 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Stumped wrote:The main parties are all corrupt and stupid. I'm voting Green again

Yeah, at least they're not corrupt. :)
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Yes the campaign of lies has started.

I think it going to be as bad as what Thatcher dealt out.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ironclad » Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Great, months of paper-thin BS that we can all see though. "yes you did"; "oh no we didn't". Or - it's Thatcher's fault, the American's fault, the immigrants are to blame, complacency will ruin your children's children's lives, swing-to Liberal voters are only fooling themselves ...etc

Ever the same. Why do we even bother.. :sigh:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#8  Postby minininja » Jan 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Greens are 'not a major party', suggests Ofcom

The Green Party says it is "deeply disappointed" by an Ofcom consultation suggesting it does not have "major party status".

The broadcast regulator's decision is a blow to the party's bid to be included in the TV election leader debates.

Prime Minister David Cameron has said he does not want to take part in the debates unless the Greens are included.

The current proposals only include the Conservatives, Labour, the Liberal Democrats and UKIP.

Ofcom published a consultation on which parties should be accorded "major status" ahead of the general election.

Those which are granted that status are entitled to at least two party election broadcasts on each of the TV and radio channels covered by the system.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby chairman bill » Jan 08, 2015 5:47 pm

ED209 wrote:... So with just 122 sleeps to go ...

Could I just point out that as an insomniac, I have significantly fewer sleeps before the big day
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby ED209 » Jan 08, 2015 5:50 pm

chairman bill wrote:
ED209 wrote:... So with just 122 sleeps to go ...

Could I just point out that as an insomniac, I have significantly fewer sleeps before the big day

You wait until the speeches start...
ED209

Print view this post

#11  Postby ED209 » Jan 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Prime Minister David Cameron has said he does not want to take part in the debates unless the Greens are included.

:scratch: what convergence of interests has resulted in that bellend doing the right thing for once in his life?
ED209

Print view this post

#12  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jan 08, 2015 6:01 pm

ED209 wrote:

:scratch: what convergence of interests has resulted in that bellend doing the right thing for once in his life?

He's hoping the Greens will do to Labour in England and Wales what the SNP are doing to them in Scotland (and what UKIP are doing to the Tories everywhere).

Frankly, although I desperately don't want the Tories in power after the next election, I nonetheless support Cameron deploying this particular tactic.
Labour fucking deserves any threat they may be feeling from the Greens.

EDIT: Hey, I've just noticed this post has made my post count my year of birth 8-)
Last edited by Horwood Beer-Master on Jan 08, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DaveD » Jan 08, 2015 6:03 pm

ED209 wrote:

He's probably banking on the Greens not being included, so he doesn't have to take part.
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby minininja » Jan 08, 2015 6:12 pm

DaveD wrote:
ED209 wrote:

He's probably banking on the Greens not being included, so he doesn't have to take part.

Yes it's win-win for him, either he avoids facing too many hard questions while seeming democratically principled, or if Greens are included they get to take more votes from his main opposition.

He's still not confirmed if he's going to take part in the Bite the Ballot Leaders-Live online questioning which all the other main Leaders did November-December.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Emmeline » Jan 08, 2015 6:26 pm

ED209 wrote:

It makes UKIP look less like a major party if the Greens are included.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#16  Postby Thommo » Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm

It makes more sense to include the SNP than the Greens.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby Emmeline » Jan 08, 2015 6:33 pm

Thommo wrote:It makes more sense to include the SNP than the Greens.

Not for Cameron though. He isn't interested in fairness, he has an agenda but then so do all politicians so he isn't unique in that!
Emmeline

Print view this post

#18  Postby minininja » Jan 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Makes more sense to include the SNP AND the Greens.

Just want to add some points relating to Ofcom's decision about the Green Party:

• Long established, internationally grouped party that produces costed manifestos from extensive democratically decided polices,
  • Shadow spokespeople for ministerial positions, including a professor of economics (far more qualified than Osborne),
  • An MP elected in a General Election,
  • 3 MEPs actually working in Europe unlike most of UKIPs,
  • 2 members of the London Assembly and a member of the House of Lords
  • Numerous councillors across the country, opposition party in one council and minority leader in another,
  • Currently polling equal to the LibDems with an upward trend,
  • Membership increasing, doubled in the last year and on track to match UKIP,
  • 3rd party in poll asking "if you thought they could win who would you vote for",
  • 2nd party amongst students and 3rd amongst all voters under 40.

How can they say Greens are not a major party?
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thommo » Jan 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Emmeline wrote:

Not for Cameron though. He isn't interested in fairness, he has an agenda but then so do all politicians so he isn't unique in that!

Absolutely! But politicians work for us, I don't much care what they want, I would rather see fairness. If none of them can live up to that standard then none will get my vote (not that it makes a blind bit of difference in a Tory safe seat).
Thommo

Print view this post

#20  Postby Emmeline » Jan 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Thommo wrote:
Emmeline wrote:

Absolutely! But politicians work for us, I don't much care what they want, I would rather see fairness. If none of them can live up to that standard then none will get my vote (not that it makes a blind bit of difference in a Tory safe seat).

I agree with you - it's a very safe Tory seat here too. :roll:
Emmeline

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs