UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Ads by Google

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#14262  Postby GrahamH » Feb 10, 2020 12:02 pm

The self-destruction continues:

Labour leadership: Up to 40 MPs 'considering quitting' party if Rebecca Long-Bailey wins race

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/l ... spartandhp
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#14263  Postby minininja » Feb 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Unnamed sources with exaggerated numbers trying to sway the vote again. But there are some real shits in the PLP who like to have everything their own way and deliberately stir up division knowing and not caring that it'll let the Tories in. They like their cushy seats for life more than anything. Obviously several already jumped ship last year hoping they'd find a better foothold in another party. But some of the remaining ones might as well threaten to resign knowing, if Long-Bailey gets in and introduces open selection of candidates, they'd be replaced by their local parties before the next election. More likely they wouldn't actually resign until nearer the time though.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14264  Postby minininja » Feb 10, 2020 6:10 pm

The thing is, with open selection, if the local parties think the current candidate is still likely to be the most popular in the constituency, - and they should know since they're the ones knocking on doors, - most often they'll happily keep the candidate with the selection being just a formality. Simply having experience as an MP will give them a huge advantage over potential new candidates. It could just be a case of nomination, no-one else bothering to stand against them, and an online poll of the members against RON. The only ones that have to worry are the ones who are actively disliked, where the local party think someone else could do better, in which case it could only be a good thing for them to be challenged.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14265  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2020 7:09 pm

People vote for Parties, not MPs anyway. Let them go - filthy Blairites etc that they are - we're better off without them.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14267  Postby ronmcd » Apr 04, 2020 11:59 am

Ah shit. I don't think I want to do this now

By new Labour leader Keir Starmer

YEAH. Thanks for electing me leader and everything, but is it okay if I’ve changed my mind? Because if I’m honest I want f**k all to do with this mess.

Opposing the government’s inept Brexit, demanding more money for public services and calling Boris a wanker were the three planks of my leadership campaign.

Now nobody cares about Brexit, public services have been pretty much nationalised and you’re not allowed to be mean to Boris because he’s trying very hard and he’s got the bloody virus.

So what am I meant to do? Tell the government they’re doing a great job? Join a government of national unity so it’s my fault too? Just sit in the house ordering shit off Amazon?

What should I say? ‘Write off £13bn of NHS debt?’ They’ve done it. ‘Nationalise the trains?’ They’ve done it. ‘Unemployment benefit should be 80 per cent of pay?’ Guess f**king what.

Nobody needs an opposition party during a pandemic. Especially not an opposition party who’ve had all their policies stolen apart from free broadband, and the bastards will have had that by the end of the month.

So thanks everyone, a landslide victory and all that, but I’m thinking ‘maybe not’ with the whole Labour leader thing. Come back to me in a year or whatever if you like, but probably not even then.

Sorry about that. The best thing is probably to just not have a leader for a bit. Our popularity can only go up. Given where we’re starting from.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#14268  Postby james1v » Apr 04, 2020 3:08 pm

At least Starmer will have a good chance of beating Boris. Game on! :cheers:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14269  Postby ronmcd » Apr 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Yup, the appearance of competence is almost more important than anything else. Boris being the bumbling incompetent exception that proves the rule.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14270  Postby GrahamH » Apr 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Starmer seems competent but unspiring.

Now the Tories have moved left and found the magic money tree where does Labour go?

Fiscal prudence? The sober counter to bouncy boris?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#14271  Postby ronmcd » Apr 04, 2020 5:56 pm

GrahamH wrote:Starmer seems competent but unspiring.

Now the Tories have moved left and found the magic money tree where does Labour go?

The money will soon be redirected to the usual recipients, don't assume for a second that anything has changed permanently, in terms of a redrawing of the economy or a rediscovery of post war universalism.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14272  Postby Beatsong » Apr 04, 2020 7:47 pm

ronmcd wrote:

The money will soon be redirected to the usual recipients, don't assume for a second that anything has changed permanently, in terms of a redrawing of the economy or a rediscovery of post war universalism.

I find it fascinating to try and work out what the Tories will do. Not only will they have to (by definition, in order to be Tories) direct the money to "the usual recipients", but there will be far less money to direct. Which means that what's left for everyone else will have to be even less - a LOT less - than it was under the last decade of austerity.

The one thing they have going for them is that the root of the current crisis was a problem not of their making. The question is going to be how long they can go on blaming it for the future decisions to safeguard the rich and fuck everyone else that will be of their making. Obviously they'll have the awesome power of the British media's propaganda, and the awesome stupidity of the electorate, to help in that, so who knows?

I voted for Starmer, partly because of the air of competence and capability that you mention. But I wouldn't want to be him right now.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14273  Postby GrahamH » Apr 04, 2020 8:29 pm

Beatsong wrote:
ronmcd wrote:

I find it fascinating to try and work out what the Tories will do. Not only will they have to (by definition, in order to be Tories) direct the money to "the usual recipients", but there will be far less money to direct. Which means that what's left for everyone else will have to be even less - a LOT less - than it was under the last decade of austerity.

The one thing they have going for them is that the root of the current crisis was a problem not of their making. The question is going to be how long they can go on blaming it for the future decisions to safeguard the rich and fuck everyone else that will be of their making. Obviously they'll have the awesome power of the British media's propaganda, and the awesome stupidity of the electorate, to help in that, so who knows?

I voted for Starmer, partly because of the air of competence and capability that you mention. But I wouldn't want to be him right now.

One possibility, speculating, is the compensation / stimulus funding to "preserve jobs" and "keep companies afloat" in these difficult times. How easy would it be to keep shareholders happy and executives well remunerated.

All funded by borrowing, all blamed on the pandemic and all ultimately paid for much later, by Joe Public.

From performances so far it's completely clear the executive will not be admitting any scrap of culpability or mismanagement for any of it, which spinning how they did a great job to keep fatalities under 200,000 or whatever it is. I wouldn't be surprised if BJ doesn't come out of the shit smelling of roses to a lot of voters.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#14274  Postby Beatsong » Apr 04, 2020 11:30 pm

But that doesn't matter cos he's gonna get Brexit done.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14275  Postby GrahamH » Apr 05, 2020 6:50 am

It looks increasingly likely he's going to put brexit off for a bit. Either that or force no-deal in the midst of a world recession.

It wont be his fault, of course. What does Starmer do with that?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#14276  Postby Beatsong » Apr 05, 2020 9:44 am

GrahamH wrote:It looks increasingly likely he's going to put brexit off for a bit.

What makes you think so?
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14277  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 05, 2020 10:02 am

Beatsong wrote:
GrahamH wrote:It looks increasingly likely he's going to put brexit off for a bit.

What makes you think so?

I thought the line was, "Why do you think that?"
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#14278  Postby GrahamH » Apr 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Beatsong wrote:

What makes you think so?
Pressure to do is increasing and the prospects of getting a trade deal is diminishing. I'm not suggesting BJ wants or intends to delay, but his position looks increasingly untenable.

Unofficially, such plans do exist, for it is clear that the coronavirus pandemic is consuming all government attention and making it impossible to conduct proper, detailed discussions on the long-term EU-UK relationship.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com ... bd97812d36
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#14279  Postby Matt_B » Apr 05, 2020 11:06 pm

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Starmer, but someone whose MO is basically just regurgitating expert advice isn't that bad a pick right now.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14280  Postby ronmcd » Apr 06, 2020 10:38 am

Starmer culling the Corbyn shadow cabinet now lol. No Long-Bailey, and now getting rid of the true STAR of the PLP ...

Burgon binned. Another Corbynite goes.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/statu ... 2713957376
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs