UK Labour Party Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK Labour Party Watch

#8281  Postby chairman bill » Jul 22, 2016 8:43 am

Can I just say that Labour is doomed. As evidence of their unelectability, they've just won three council byelections, all with hugely improved majorities, apparently taking lots of votes from UKIP. They haven't got a chance.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8282  Postby Byron » Jul 22, 2016 11:08 am

ronmcd wrote:Hysterical. This morning we have various PLP people getting upset over Corbyn's newsnight interview, his calls for kinder gentler politics attacked as hypocrisy. Harriet Harman thinks being nice somehow drives a wedge between the PLP and the membership, or something. Another MP says Corbyn wanted to tell the MP's dad to speak to him and stop disagreeing with him, or something (corbyn says this is untrue), and Eagle claims Corbyn is stirring hostility against his critics. Whereas his critics are sweetness and light about Corbyn by comparison, presumably.

:lol: fucksake.

In other batshit labour idiot news, we have Muriel Gray, someone who hates the SNP *so* much, even she is blaming Corbyn for ... well, everything.
Well you've left Scotland behind. Now in the hands of single issue narcissists and Tory carpet baggers. Cheers mate.

https://twitter.com/ArtyBagger/status/7 ... 2271723520

Bizarro world has arrived.

Ah yes, the "single issue narcissists" Lab will soon have to be cutting an electoral pact with. As opening gambits go ...
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#8283  Postby Beatsong » Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm

More evidence that Corbyn is unelectable

There were 11 by-elections last night. So far, we have 10 full results in. Labour successfully defended three seats with an increased percentage of the vote. That included a whopping 21.4% increase in Southcote ward in Reading. In two of the 10 seats that Labour was standing in, there was no previous Labour candidate. Both achieved respectable results, showing that Labour can make inroads in supposedly hostile ground. In all but one of the 10 results in, there has been an increase in the percentage of Labour vote.

I'm genuinely intrigued by the contrast between results like this and what people are saying in opinion polls about Corbyn personally. At the very least to me, it warrants tentatively proceeding as we are and seeing what happens, rather than buying into claims of cataclysmic disaster that don't seem to be born out by what's actually happening.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8285  Postby zoon » Jul 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Interesting piece just appeared in the Huffington Post:
How David Cameron’s Plan To Screw Labour Cost Him The EU Referendum

Hidden in Thursday’s Government info-dump was a measure of just how much it backfired

In the last days before the EU referendum David Cameron and his team of Remain campaigners were still frantically trying to get young people’s attention. 18-34 year olds, the polls had said, were Britain’s great unharvested crop of Remainers. And everyone agreed that if enough of them turned out on June 23rd, it was in the bag.
Despite what was actually a reasonably high turnout amongst young people who were registered to vote, they had not managed to swing the result. Remain lost by 4%. This was not meant to happen.

Yesterday, hidden within the cache of information dumped on the government website before ministers went to recess, was a clue as to what went wrong: a written statement by Gary Streeter, a spokesperson for the Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission, which showed a full nine percentage point drop between 10th June 2014 and 1st December 2015 in the number of 18-19 year olds registered to vote.
Back in October 2015, amid all the fuss over the House of Lord’s rejection of tax-credit reform, Cameron slipped another statutory instrument quietly through the chamber, by just eleven votes. It was a motion to change the responsibility for signing up to vote from households to individuals.

The change had been due for December 2016 - plenty of time for voters accidentally left off the new list to get their act together and re-register. But Cameron had wanted to rush it through more than a year early. The reason? Those likely to be accidentally left off the new list were Labour voters.

These people - some 1.9 million of them - were mostly students (until last year universities could block-register student halls), people in big cities, and those who rent privately. In other words, not only were they Labour voters but also exactly the sorts of people Remain would later desperately seek votes from.

And the full effects of what he did in October are yet to be felt. Cameron did it to screw Labour in this year’s elections - those of London’s mayor, the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh National Assembly - but also to skew an upcoming constituency boundary reform vastly in his favour. This redrawing of boundaries is to be based on a snapshot of the electorate from December 2015, thus - as least as far as yesterday’s figures indicate - permanently disenfranchising many thousands of Britain’s young, whether they re-register now or not.

Last year, as he prepared to rush the electoral roll change through, Cameron ignored warnings from the Electoral Commission, who said - breaking character - that it would be “hugely damaging to our democracy”. On June 24th, as democracy skidded out of his control like a broken trolley, he must have wondered what he had done.
zoon

Print view this post

#8286  Postby GrahamH » Jul 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Did Corbyn want an immediate triggering of Art.50 after the referendum result?

His first remark was that: "The British people have made their decision. We must respect that result and Article 50 has to be invoked now so that we negotiate an exit from the European Union."

When I first saw the interview, having heard that he had called for immediate trigger, I was surprised that he didn't seem to say that at all. How did it seem to you? Did he say anything that makes it plain that is what he meant?

The claim: Jeremy Corbyn has performed a U-turn over when Article 50 should be triggered.

Reality Check verdict: Mr Corbyn's message has certainly changed, either because he has changed his mind or because he misspoke on 24 June and waited a month to correct himself.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-u ... u-36866170

U-Turn or not?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8287  Postby GrahamH » Jul 22, 2016 9:09 pm

More media crap.
"Corbyn threatens reselection battle"

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... eselection
Presented as if it was part of Corbyn's leadership speech. It was a reply to question. Not a threat

The speech is here:

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/we-have-d ... ip-launch/

As you can see it's a vile torrent of threats and incitement to violence and anti-Semitism mixed with appalling praise for terrorists.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8288  Postby DaveD » Jul 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Conor has been abusing his position as Labour whip, and needs to be put on the naughty step. Someone should tell Conor's dad.
McGinn.png
McGinn.png (244.4 KiB) Viewed 808 times
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8289  Postby ronmcd » Jul 23, 2016 11:28 am

Words like "unedifying" and "unpleasant" don’t even begin to describe the campaign that the British establishment have undertaken to destroy Jeremy Corbyn. Try "sinister" and "malevolent" and "venomous" instead. Yet, when you assess the nature of the forces which are lined up against him and then observe how his very name brings them to a point where they begin to boil and froth, then you know Mr Corbyn must be a good man.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/1 ... my_Corbyn/
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8290  Postby Byron » Jul 23, 2016 11:52 am

ronmcd wrote:
Words like "unedifying" and "unpleasant" don’t even begin to describe the campaign that the British establishment have undertaken to destroy Jeremy Corbyn. Try "sinister" and "malevolent" and "venomous" instead. Yet, when you assess the nature of the forces which are lined up against him and then observe how his very name brings them to a point where they begin to boil and froth, then you know Mr Corbyn must be a good man.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/1 ... my_Corbyn/

Amen. :nono:

Corbyn's quite a bit to the left of me, but honestly, what alternatives are there? Even if Smith were OK as a candidate, the forces lined up behind him are vile, and would turn on him in no time if he threatens their Blairite consensus.

Worst of all are the establishment liberals in the BBC and Guardian, who've been attacking austerity and rampant neoliberalism for years, then when a leader of a mainstream (British) party at last comes forward who shares that agenda, they panic and turn on him 'cause he's vaguely to the left of them. Talk about self-defeating. And they have the nerve to accuse Corbyn of ideological purity!

The same crap's been directed at the SNP, who're more centrist, but support the wrong kind of nationalism (apparently, British nationalism's A-OK). Latte liberals have some bizarre and barely-understandable priorities.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#8291  Postby TheMidnightBarber » Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

I found this an interesting read.

http://www.liliangreenwood.co.uk/lilian ... ty_members

The supposed Blairite conspiracy is seeming more and more ridiculous
Sassanach
"Doesn't even speak Gaelic"
TheMidnightBarber

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8292  Postby ED209 » Jul 23, 2016 2:33 pm

Enough bullshit from bitterite liars.

The sun is shining.

Thousands of people are attending corbyn's leadership launch events up and down the country.

So get a load of this:

:dance:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#8293  Postby Alan B » Jul 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Is that our Jeremy on the, er, drum? :lol:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8294  Postby GrahamH » Jul 23, 2016 3:26 pm

TheMidnightBarber wrote:I found this an interesting read.

Thanks for posting that. It's the first thing I have seen that is specific and makes a bit of sense.
It doesn't seem like something that could not be remedied. Presumably someone manages Corbyn's diary who should have picked up the clash on rail policy dates. Did that happen and it was ignored, or not?
Did Lillian liaise with the leadership as her big date drew near?
Does Corbyn rely on people for this sort of thing who a are not entirely loyal? It would be easy to build discontent by subtle manipulation. We have seen a whip briefing against the leader.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8295  Postby ED209 » Jul 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Oh, it's also international busking day. Forgot to say that too.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#8296  Postby Byron » Jul 23, 2016 3:44 pm

Yup Graham, it's a pretext: even the most devoted Blairites accept that the man was an abysmal MP, who barely graced Westminster with his presence (course, many would see that as a mercy). As for access, he was holed up with his advisors, and ruled by the diktats Mandelson, Campbell, and reluctantly, Brown.

I'd have a helluva lot more sympathy with the plotters if they ditched all the personal attacks and said, plainly, that they fundamentally disagree with Corbyn's politics, as they did in the last leadership election.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#8297  Postby GrahamH » Jul 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Are these all devoted Blairites? Lillian greenwood admits to being opposed to Corbyn from the start but that doesn't make her a Blairite.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8298  Postby Byron » Jul 23, 2016 4:12 pm

Nope, the Blairites (represented by the Progress crowd) are front-and-center, but as I noted upthread, it goes beyond them, into the moderates and run-of-the-mill careerists.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#8299  Postby zoon » Jul 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Byron wrote:Nope, the Blairites (represented by the Progress crowd) are front-and-center, but as I noted upthread, it goes beyond them, into the moderates and run-of-the-mill careerists.

It could be that Corbyn is seriously bad at the management of an organisation, but is still very good at inspiring large numbers of people into more left wing politics. This would be a positive development, if Labour does successfully reinvent itself in a more left wing direction and stays electable, whether or not Corbyn remains leader.
zoon

Print view this post

#8300  Postby zoon » Jul 23, 2016 5:05 pm

GrahamH wrote:
TheMidnightBarber wrote:I found this an interesting read.

Thanks for posting that. It's the first thing I have seen that is specific and makes a bit of sense.
It doesn't seem like something that could not be remedied. Presumably someone manages Corbyn's diary who should have picked up the clash on rail policy dates. Did that happen and it was ignored, or not?
Did Lillian liaise with the leadership as her big date drew near?
Does Corbyn rely on people for this sort of thing who a are not entirely loyal? It would be easy to build discontent by subtle manipulation. We have seen a whip briefing against the leader.

It looks altogether more like a total lack of interest in the mundane stuff, he's so focussed on the big picture. Which is fine if he's not in a job where the mundane stuff is crucial.
zoon

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs