UK Pension Age to be Raised to 70?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

UK Pension Age to be Raised to 70?

#1  Postby Alan B » Mar 06, 2016 11:59 am

Guardian
State pension age to be raised to 70 for today's young workers

Young people currently entering the workforce will have to wait until they are 70 before they can retire under plans to save £500bn over the next 50 years, George Osborne will signal on Thursday.

The chancellor will also use his autumn statement to demand £1bn in additional spending cuts in the hope that voters will focus on Britain's "responsible recovery" – the healthy economic growth prospects for next year, slowly restoring public finances and measures to cut youth unemployment.

In potentially one of the most far-reaching reforms since the introduction of the state pension in 1908, Osborne will say the pension age for men and women will rise to 70 by the 2060s under a new formula linked to average life expectancy. This means that people born in the 1990s, who are now entering the workforce, will have to work until at least the Biblical life expectancy of three score and ten.

Osborne's statement to the Commons on Thursday will attempt to show that the government is making long-term plans as the economy recovers. David Cameron highlighted this approach when he told the BBC in Chengdu, on the final day of his trip to China: "We have been working to a long-term plan and what you are going to see in this autumn statement is the next steps in that long-term plan, a long-term plan to turn the country around, to get us out of our difficulties with debt and deficit and to secure jobs and recovery for all our people – a recovery for all."

What bollocks! Everybody is living longer, so let's milk the elderly.
Fuck everybody's joy of retirement just to save £10bn a year. I'm sure that could be 'saved' by scrapping corporate tax loopholes and the ability to divert corporate UK based earnings to tax havens or convenient headquarters in another country.
There are other implications:
This will increase the number of 'elderly' 'retrained' for non-manual menial work trying to find jobs that do not exist. If they do find such work then this will impact on school leavers and new graduates who would use these jobs as a 'kick-starter' for work experience.
It will also prolong commuting for another five years thus affecting pollution levels for longer.
If a person is sacked because they are too old for the job (mental and physical faculties waning), they will be able to claim benefit. Has this been set-off against the pension 'savings' in Osborne's calculations?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: UK Pension Age to be Raised to 70?

#2  Postby mrjonno » Mar 06, 2016 12:31 pm

All comes down to democracy, the nearly deads outnumber the young and vote
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 12:33 pm

How is it milking elderly? Its meant for people who are young today and expected not to be elderly at <70.

No country in the world I know of has this, pensions in 2060, figured out and every proposal of "pension reform" I have seen includes rising retirement age as one of mechanisms.

IMO the age itself is irrelevant, what is relevant is hmm productive age.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby mrjonno » Mar 06, 2016 12:36 pm

The main issue with pension ages is because its such a vote loser, the age increases haven't happened a lot earlier so basically we have had people retire far too early that have been paid for.

Please let the world stay together for the next 35 years or so and then the human race can go extinct with me long gone
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Vote loser? That is politics. I am not politician. I am interested in this as in issue. Rational or not, benefits and risks, consequences and analyses etc. If people want to retire I dunno at 60 while living next 30 years on state pension .. what can I say to that? Its starts with i and ends with s. Or better yet, get some immigrants to pay for it. Thats vote loser too? Fuck off then ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby mrjonno » Mar 06, 2016 12:56 pm

I am interested in this as in issue. Rational or not, benefits and risks, consequences and analyses etc

The main consequence short term of any political decision is whether you get elected or not, democracy is simply incapable of dealing with anything beyond the next electoral cycle

I was speaking to my boss about budgets and as far as his bosses are concerned the future simply does not exist beyond the next 12 months, that nothing that doesn't produce results within 12 months will not even be considered

I am not politician

Neither is anyone else here which is generally why most people here are appalling at politics ie how to gain and keep power
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 12:59 pm

As I said, I am not interested in this political point of view. Thanks for telling me but I care not. I am interested in pension reform as issue. I do not care what others think. Show data, present hypothesis, compare different models .. vote how you want. I do not care.
tuco

Print view this post

#8  Postby Alan B » Mar 06, 2016 1:06 pm

tuco wrote:How is it milking elderly? Its meant for people who are young today and expected not to be elderly at <70.

No country in the world I know of has this, pensions in 2060, figured out and every proposal of "pension reform" I have seen includes rising retirement age as one of mechanisms.

It is a false assumption that if one lives longer then the mental and physical faculties will be extended pro rata. Decline in one's faculties will occur, very largely, according to one's genetic make-up regardless of medical and dietary advances that keeps one alive for longer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby chairman bill » Mar 06, 2016 1:09 pm

Go on Gideon - rise that retirement age, capture that young vote. Oh hang on ...
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Mar 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Alan B wrote:
tuco wrote:How is it milking elderly? Its meant for people who are young today and expected not to be elderly at <70.

It is a false assumption that if one lives longer then the mental and physical faculties will be extended pro rata. Decline in one's faculties will occur, very largely, according to one's genetic make-up regardless of medical and dietary advances that keeps one alive for longer.

Well, that is subject to debate. I believe we've had related debates before here.

As far as I know there are 3 basic models for ageing population 50 years from now. One of them indeed suggests that living longer does not/will not prolong productive age. If this is the only problem, we could probably find suitable data. I have mine printed somewhere.

Another thing to consider is lets say job market. Suitable jobs for older people. This is huge problem even now, since our societies/economies are tuned to output and workers compete on global market, when older people have hard time finding jobs.

This is complex and important issue and cannot be dismissed by .. opinions. If you have data suggesting what you present:

It is a false assumption

lets see them.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby Sendraks » Mar 06, 2016 1:23 pm

chairman bill wrote:Go on Gideon - rise that retirement age, capture that young vote. Oh hang on ...

Although I'll be surprised if we see an opposition party promising to lower the pension age and raise taxes accordingly.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby ED209 » Mar 06, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm certainly happy to have my life depend on a 70 year old ambulance driver, or my kids taught by 70 year old teachers, to help gideon retain his reputation for fiscal competence among fucking idiots today.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#13  Postby DougC » Mar 07, 2016 3:02 am

I'm gona die working. :waah:

Pushing trollies around a Tesco carpark. Oh joy. :nono:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tuco » Mar 07, 2016 6:32 am

Or you could train others to push trollies ;) Older people tend to have invaluable experience they can pass on. Elderly are not disabled and obviously the idea that people not able to work will be forced to work is nonsensical. Who would employ them? That is actually the problem to solve. Having jobs. What is it good for having retirement age at 70 when large number of people nearing that age will not be able to find job?
tuco

Print view this post

#15  Postby Alan B » Mar 07, 2016 10:34 am

At 41 minutes: "Is Raising the Pension Age Fair."
The Big Questions - BBC
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 07, 2016 10:40 am

Alan B wrote:At 41 minutes: "Is Raising the Pension Age Fair."
The Big Question - BBC

Thanks Alan. iPlayer is only available in Britain. :whistle:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Alan B » Mar 07, 2016 10:41 am

Is it? So much for international co-operation...
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby mrjonno » Mar 07, 2016 10:52 am

Iplayer is going to be linked to a TV license fee soon, presumably the EU will rightly allow anyone to access it as long as they buy a British license
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 07, 2016 11:13 am

mrjonno wrote:Iplayer is going to be linked to a TV license fee soon, presumably the EU will rightly allow anyone to access it as long as they buy a British license

We pay the BBC to watch it here but we still dont have access to iPlayer. ITV for a reason known only to them does not want to come onto our cable. I think it is something to do with the ads which I do not understand as we ads from the rest of Europe including Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Belgium.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » Mar 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Alan B wrote:At 41 minutes: "Is Raising the Pension Age Fair."
The Big Question - BBC

Thanks Alan. iPlayer is only available in Britain. :whistle:

Hola hola!

https://hola.org/

Will get back to it later but .. fair? Cmon BBC

----
edit: BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only. Find out why. find out why ... because of the fucking content right holders? they can just fuck off.

----

edit1: Seems BBC "fixed it" as in hola does not work for me anymore, though it worked just few weeks ago.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/20/b ... ayer/#gref

cracking down, well, I will stay ignorant.
Last edited by tuco on Mar 07, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs